AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   "Budget" 7.1 AVR & Speaker Recommendations (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2932672-budget-7-1-avr-speaker-recommendations.html)

SabresfortheCup 11-11-2017 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone recommend a good 5.1.2 AVR around $400? Perhaps an Onkyo TX-NR676 or Denon AVR-X2300W?

I'm looking at building a "budget" home theater system, and I'm trying to narrow down the AVR & Speakers. All-in-all, I'm looking at a $1,500 - $2,000 budget, built over time. I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR676, which on paper seems like a great receiver at a great price, but I've heard they have had some major quality issues recently, and that the AccuEQ is so-so. I'm also considering a Denon AVR-X2300W, or maybe a comparable Yamaha unit. I have past experience with Onkyo, so the 676 would be familiar, but I don't want to buy a receiver that will have lesser sound quality or build quality.

Spec-wise, I'm looking for full 4k HDR passthrough (R10, Dolby Vision and HLG), 4 ohm speaker compatibility, and at least 80W 2ch driven 8 ohm 20Hz-20kHz 0.08% THD, with AirPlay, GoogleCast, Bluetooth & Wifi - I think that's more or less bare minimum for a modern Atmos/DTS:X enabled AVR.

Speaker-wise, I'm looking at ELAC Uni-fi UB5's for a 2.0 system to start right now, and a BIC Acoustech PL200 ii later. The speakers are a little large (especially the center channel) and will require some space with the rear ports, but I've heard outstanding reviews and expect that they are well worth the space & cost. I have a lot of faith in Andrew Jones speakers. I also considered ELAC B5/6, KEF 300's and Pioneer SP-EBS73LR's (reviews only, no sound demos).

I'm thinking $400 AVR, $500 Front L/R, $350 Center, $250 Sub, maybe $100 surrounds and $100 height/rear (haven't decided on the make/model/configuration of surrounds/heights).

I have past experience with an Onkyo HTIB (HT-S6800 7.1 system) that I upgraded with Infinity Primus P363 towers, PC-351 Center and a BIC America V1220 sub. I was happy with that system overall, but the Infinity Primus series has been discontinued, and I would like to get something comparable or even a moderate step up in sound quality.

I'm looking for overall recommendations & opinions on a good AVR around $400. Also interested in recommendations & experience with the ELAC UB5's and/or other speakers under $500/pair.

rnatalli 11-12-2017 04:30 AM

At $400, Denon and Yamaha are your best bets IMO. If you can spend a little more, the Sony 1080 is worth a look.

Blorton 11-12-2017 05:38 AM

Suggest you have a look into the diy speakers area. For the money you can get far better results with very easy to assemble kits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SabresfortheCup 11-12-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnatalli (Post 55111894)
At $400, Denon and Yamaha are your best bets IMO. If you can spend a little more, the Sony 1080 is worth a look.

I considered the Sony, but I was concerned about its ability to drive 4 ohm speakers. Aside from that, all the reviews I?ve read have said it?s a fantastic sounding detailed receiver, so I?m still tempted. Whatever I get, I?m hoping to get a good deal (new or used) in the coming weeks.

SabresfortheCup 11-12-2017 08:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton (Post 55112004)
Suggest you have a look into the diy speakers area. For the money you can get far better results with very easy to assemble kits.

Interesting idea, I never really considered DIY speaker kits. I haven?t heard too much about them, to be honest, I wouldn?t know where to look for reviews or to buy a good kit.

As good as the Andrew Jones offerings and the ELAC UB5?s are, you?re saying that the kits are well designed enough and with high enough quality components to deliver even better sound at a similar price point?

Blorton 11-12-2017 08:28 AM

Hehe. There is a very active sub forum on this very site. Have a gander. Diysoundgroup.com has a lot of great choices. And yes, a well-engineered kit assembled correctly will smoke commercial offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro