Less than $300 Receiver Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rnatalli

post #1 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Less than $300 Receiver Recommendations

Hiya!

I'm sort of in the 'same boat' as jake13 (Refurbished receivers thread) in that I am looking for a simple receiver to drive a basic 2.1 setup for TV/movies for my small living room. I don't plan on expanding to a 5.1 setup for this room and was only using 2 small speakers with my prior AVR-2311CI (Denon) and I don't need a lot of fancy features or built in networking (well, networking might be in my distant, read 6+ months, future - I don't know).

My AVR-2311CI history:
After the 2311CI died I thought that I would never get another Denon. I was considering the Pioneer VSX-832 but it will be $340 (as of Nov. 11) at Walmart with a 4 year Care plan. I contacted Denon earlier [this year] about my dead 2311CI and was told that if I upload my receipt they would consider giving me a discount on a new purchase (from them). I duly uploaded the receipt but the file size was apparently too big and they closed the case without notifying me. This was a few months ago and I had forgotten about the issue as I had more pressing concerns. I just sent them another email regarding the earlier case reference # and with a resized receipt and description so we'll see what their response will be.

My budget for a new receiver, "out the door" (meaning after tax, if applicable, and an extended warranty/protection plan) is max $350. I have been looking at these today (online) -

1. Denon AVR-S530BT - $229 @ Amazon before WA 10% sales tax. Note: Denon may give me discount if I purchase from them, see above "my AVR-2311CI history"
2. Pioneer VSX-832 - $229 @ Walmart (no tax from Beach Camera; total $340 with 4-year Care plan
3, 4: ??? I honestly don't know! My buddy who is an electronics tech likes Onkyo and I suppose that they are fine. Same can be said of Yamaha but I have no experience with the brand.

My display is an old Samsung UN46C8000 (1080p) which is due to be replaced sometime (not soon). I'm thinking maybe a TCL P-Series 55 inch.

My source is Comcast cable thru TiVo Roamio and I neither have nor desire Netflix/Hulu/whatever/yada-yada streaming content (on a budget and, honestly, there are too many choices, at least for me).

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

- - Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange

Last edited by Gilles Panizzi; 11-11-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 214
You want the AVR to do all of the digital decoding/processing and will run it in stereo plus sub, but no center?

I've no experience with buying a receiver in that price range on-line, but there should be several options for you to buy w/no sales tax and free shipping. I am unsure of all of them, but parts express https://www.parts-express.com/?utm_s...and-Main-Exact gets mentioned here a lot as a good source.

Crutchfield is another one brought up from time to time: https://www.crutchfield.com/

Since you mentioned not needing a lot of bells and whistles, Sony has reduced the number of effects processing (stadium, arena, etc) on several of their units.

Good luck!

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #3 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
You want the AVR to do all of the digital decoding/processing and will run it in stereo plus sub, but no center?
Actually, I don't even have a sub at this time. I am leaning towards the Denon because of my past experience with them (my very first receiver was the AVR-2807). I also like that the S530 has 5 HDMI inputs as compared to most others' 4, at least in this price range. And, if they are willing to give me a discount for my dead 2311CI then that seals the deal. My primary concern at this time is reliability and being able to handle a future 4K TV.

Re Sony: the very first place that I looked before posting today was Best Buy, where they have this Sony STRDH770 for $199. I don't know enough about lower[$$]-end receivers and, honestly, my past experience with Sony's Quality Control (manufacturing) has been 'disappointing' (to be kind, although spoken with gritted teeth ) e.g. broken/not functioning properly out of the box.

Thanks for your advice!

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

Last edited by Gilles Panizzi; 11-11-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Panizzi View Post
Actually, I don't even have a sub at this time. I am leaning towards the Denon because of my past experience with them (my very first receiver was the AVR-2807). I also like that the S530 has 5 HDMI inputs as compared to most others' 4, at least in this price range. And, if they are willing to give me a discount for my dead 2311CI then that seals the deal. My primary concern at this time is reliability and being able to handle a future 4K TV.

Re Sony: the very first place that I looked before posting today was Best Buy, where they have this Sony STRDH770 for $199. I don't know enough about lower[$$]-end receivers and, honestly, my past experience with Sony's Quality Control (manufacturing) has been 'disappointing' (to be kind, although spoken with gritted teeth ) e.g. broken/not functioning properly out of the box.

Thanks for you advice!
My suggestion for you would be to buy a used Yamaha receiver. 10+ years old for $100 or so. And buy a new sub with what you save. Yamaha is known to last 20 years or more. Mine did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
I have a pair of Yamaha RX-V1600s I need to sell. $100 each + shipping.
I also have a RX-V1800, $150 + shipping.

PM me if interested.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #7 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Have U looked here..

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
My preference are the Yamaha AVRs...
Units are B stock and have a 1 year warranty..

Just my $0.02...
post #8 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I have a pair of Yamaha RX-V1600s I need to sell. $100 each + shipping.
Marc,

I just google'd Yamaha RX-V1600 and this looks like it just has 1 HDMI input - ? Or have I missed something?

I am kind of trying to "future-proof" my system which is what has me looking at receivers that are 4K-compatible for when I do finally upgrade my display. I'd rather spend an extra $100 or so now and have a new receiver with extra warranty and be ready for my new display.

Just curious, what would UPS Ground be for one of of your V1600s to 98028? Feel free to PM me.

post #9 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Have U looked here..

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
My preference are the Yamaha AVRs...
Units are B stock and have a 1 year warranty..

Just my $0.02...
Thanks for the link! Does "B stock" mean the same as factory refurbished (that's what the A4L.com link shows)? When I add the Yamaha RX-V581 (refurb) to my cart there was a popup that read: Save $$ and buy the TSR-5810 (Yamaha link) which is identical to the RXV-581 except a different model number (made for Costco). Shipping is only $8.99 and they have the following Protection Plans from New Leaf:

NEW LEAF 2 Year Protection Plan (2 Years Total Warranty on Item) $29.99
NEW LEAF 3 Year Protection Plan (3 Years Total Warranty on Item) $39.99
NEW LEAF 5 Year Protection Plan (5 Years Total Warranty on Item) $69.99

Is the consensus opinion that Yamaha receivers don't really "need" an extended warranty?

post #10 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Does "B stock" mean the same as factory refurbished (that's what the A4L.com link shows)? When I add the Yamaha RX-V581 (refurb) to my cart there was a popup that read: Save $$ and buy the TSR-5810 (Yamaha link) which is identical to the RXV-581 except a different model number (made for Costco). Shipping is only $8.99 and they have the following Protection Plans from New Leaf:

NEW LEAF 2 Year Protection Plan (2 Years Total Warranty on Item) $29.99
NEW LEAF 3 Year Protection Plan (3 Years Total Warranty on Item) $39.99
NEW LEAF 5 Year Protection Plan (5 Years Total Warranty on Item) $69.99

Is the consensus opinion that Yamaha receivers don't really "need" an extended warranty?
B stock means refurbished, Yamaha AVRs are very reliable. The 1 year warranty is fine, in the majority of instances a problem shows up in the 1st 90 days..

Just my $0.02..
post #11 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

What do people here think of the Pioneer VSX-832, particularly when compared to the Yamaha RX-V581/TSR-5810 (Costco edition).

May as well toss the other 2 contenders in as well (the VSX-832 compared to these):

Denon AVR-S530BT
Onkyo TX-NR656 (BestBuy link) $250

post #12 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I've just perused the WhatHiFi.com review of the RX-V581/TSR-5810 and one part stood out to me:

"Where the Yamaha takes a dip is with delivering voices. It’s not as precise as the Denon AVR-X2300W, for example.

"Even with the Pure Direct mode turned on (which we would recommend for the best sound performance), the midrange isn’t quite as subtle and clearly defined as the rest of the amplifier’s talents.

"We want it to convey more expression. The Denon is more adept at conveying emotion in dialogue; the Yamaha is just a touch reticent in comparison.

"The Denon’s [AVR-X2300W] way with voices keeps you captivated. The subtlety and fluid dynamics engages you – the build-up to the flourish when the Enterprise is revealed in Star Trek has a sense of excitement and wonderment to it."

The majority of my viewing is with "softer" types of movies e.g. documentaries and subtle foreign films (sometimes). I am NOT a big "action movie" viewer.

I also have mild tinnitus in one ear along with 40% loss of hearing (same ear). I live alone so it's not a big deal to turn the volume up a bit but I do like to hear every word of spoken dialogue.

Last edited by Gilles Panizzi; 11-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 09:09 PM

If the dialog is low, simply turn up the center channel trim control...
The center channel carries about 75% of the audio, so invest in quality loudspeakers.
As posted previously, the Yamaha AVRs are #1 for reliability and the only major AVR brand that has its products certified for HDMI/HDCP...
U have many brand/products to choose from do your homework carefully, compare their specs & features...

Just my $0.02...
post #14 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Not trying to be snarky here, and I do appreciate your opinions and input, but don't you think that the WhatHiFi.com reviewer would have simply turned up the center channel trim control and called everything good with respect to the Yamaha delivering voices?

I am an audiophile and have always loved vinyl (Japanese pressings in particular) and quality components (I had Naim amps and Linn turntable etc). I crave precise, subtle, clearly defined, expressive voices. I realize that turning the center channel trim up will amplify the voices to be suitably audible but, in truth, I would rather not "have" to do that. In my 6+ years of Denon receiver ownership I simply had to "set it and forget it" (audio) one time for each receiver.

I currently have only 2 old (10+ years) Polk Audio RTi4 speakers. These have served me well for the last 6+ years and I am satisfied with them, although adding a center speaker may improve my hearing ability.

I can tell that you love Yamaha and I want to as well but I am reticent to order a receiver online without ever having heard it, especially when at least 1 reviewer is noting audio characteristics that I may not be satisfied with. I do not want to incur the expense and hassle of returning something that was bought online.

post #15 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Marc,

I just google'd Yamaha RX-V1600 and this looks like it just has 1 HDMI input - ? Or have I missed something?

I am kind of trying to "future-proof" my system which is what has me looking at receivers that are 4K-compatible for when I do finally upgrade my display. I'd rather spend an extra $100 or so now and have a new receiver with extra warranty and be ready for my new display.

Just curious, what would UPS Ground be for one of of your V1600s to 98028? Feel free to PM me.
2 HDMI input and 1 output. The RX-V1800 has 4 HDMI inouts and 1 output. I didn't realize you were trying to future proof and wanted 4k HDMI 2.0 HDCP support which my Yamahas lack.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Marc,

I appreciate your taking the time to clarify the inputs for me. I need a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs to accomodate my equipment.

Thanks for your time!

post #17 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
At $300, the Denon AVR-X1300W is worth a look. It uses Audyssey MultiEQ XT which is worth $70 over the price of the 530.
Muphasta likes this.

Projector: LG PF1500W; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Roomie Remote; Cables: Monoprice
post #18 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Not trying to be snarky here, and I do appreciate your opinions and input, but don't you think that the WhatHiFi.com reviewer would have simply turned up the center channel trim control and called everything good with respect to the Yamaha delivering voices?

I am an audiophile and have always loved vinyl (Japanese pressings in particular) and quality components (I had Naim amps and Linn turntable etc). I crave precise, subtle, clearly defined, expressive voices. I realize that turning the center channel trim up will amplify the voices to be suitably audible but, in truth, I would rather not "have" to do that. In my 6+ years of Denon receiver ownership I simply had to "set it and forget it" (audio) one time for each receiver.

I currently have only 2 old (10+ years) Polk Audio RTi4 speakers. These have served me well for the last 6+ years and I am satisfied with them, although adding a center speaker may improve my hearing ability.

I can tell that you love Yamaha and I want to as well but I am reticent to order a receiver online without ever having heard it, especially when at least 1 reviewer is noting audio characteristics that I may not be satisfied with. I do not want to incur the expense and hassle of returning something that was bought online.
My reason for mentioning Yamaha is based upon my experience...
We have been a CEDIA installer for > 15 years and when we do an install we guarantee our labor & equipment for 5 years. We only recommend and install products that we have had direct experience with, though we have access to all the major brands including Denon and Marantz over the years I can't count the # of Denon AVRs we replaced due to failure and/or incompatibility with other HDMI components. Over the years, the major brands have approached us to support their product development effort doing evaluation on their new prototypes plus being invited to their factories and subcontractors in the Far East..

Just my $0.02...
post #19 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
At $300, the Denon AVR-X1300W is worth a look. It uses Audyssey MultiEQ XT which is worth $70 over the price of the 530.
Noted and thanks. I will keep my eye out for the Denon AVR-X1300W (Denon link) when I am ready to purchase.

On a side note, it appears that there is little enthusiasm or interest in the Pioneer VSX-832...

post #20 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For $300, you can buy a used Anthem MRX 300 that will smoke anything in the <$1000 range.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

On a side note, it appears that there is little enthusiasm or interest in the Pioneer VSX-832...
I don't know if it helps though here's a review of it from Sound and Vision.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eceiver-review

The reviewer was satisfied with the 832's Atmos 'lite' presentation.
post #22 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Usually on the low-end, Pioneer gives you higher quality DACs than the other brands.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Usually on the low-end, Pioneer gives you higher quality DACs than the other brands.
I agree since 832 has the same AKM and Cirius Logic chipset from the Elite SC-LX501/502.
post #24 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
For $300, you can buy a used Anthem MRX 300 that will smoke anything in the <$1000 range.
Anthem mrx 300 at $300 IS a deal. Right now it is listed at $600 in ebay.

post #25 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Anthem mrx 300 at $300 IS a deal. Right now it is listed at $600 in ebay.

Really? I got mine used when they were going for $300. I wonder why they went up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by many03 View Post
I agree since 832 has the same AKM and Cirius Logic chipset from the Elite SC-LX501/502.
Not true. The 832 has the AKM 4438 while the LX501 has the higher quality AKM 4458 DAC.

No company other than Anthem (as far as I know) will offer the same quality DACs across their entire lineup.

Last edited by Julio Castrejon; 11-12-2017 at 08:20 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
when i was a college kid with no money, i found local dealers with stuff on clearance tables as much as 70% off...i picked up alot of great stuff off clearance tables when I was young...my best was a year old open box avr 800 list and 300 out the door....back in the 80's was a deal.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #27 of 27 Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by many03 View Post
Not true. The 832 has the AKM 4438 while the LX501 has the higher quality AKM 4458 DAC.

No company other than Anthem (as far as I know) will offer the same quality DACs across their entire lineup.
Thanks for clearing that up. Confused the chip sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page