Need a recommendation for an AV Receiver please! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By afrogt
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By DennyM

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need a recommendation for an AV Receiver please!

Hey everyone,

The Onkyo receiver that came with my All in One 7.1 home theater system has finally died it's second death after 9 long years. It's already been repaired once and had been slowly dying again for like a year. It's time to upgrade to something a little bit more reliable.

So, my price range is up to $500, but I'd love to stay closer to $300-$350 if I dont actually need something with more bells and whistles and power. I need it to be able to pass through 4k @60fps with HDR and 4:4:4 and all that fun jazz. The sub that came with the AIO is powered already and most of the speakers are the stock one that came with the $600 AIO kit as well. The only exception in speakers is the two front speakers. I'm using a pair of NHT Super Two's that I bought around 16 years ago. So I'll need something with enough power to fully drive those. I'd love to get into something a little more reliable than the Onkyo. I was wondering if there was a nice Denon or something, but I'm not gonna hang on a brand and would like you Pro's to recommend the best value for my Dollar.

Side Question.... Has 7.1 changed since I bought my system 9 years ago? When I got my system back then 7.1 meant 2 rear speakers and 2 side speakers. But Now I am seeing that the extra two channels are to be mounted on the ceiling now or something? Fill me in if you can on this one.

Thank you all so much for your help!

---Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Side note, I see this is an Amazon deal of the day and is marked down from $450 to $300. Is this unit any good? Is Yamaha reliable?

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V68...maha+RX-V681BL
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Yamaha is the most reliable according to some people on these forums. That's an excellent deal, get it before the sale ends
92hatchattack likes this.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Good price. (Less than a factory refurb at accessories4less.)

It's even future proof, to a degree. I believe that it's one of the models slated to receive a Dolby Vision pass-through firmware update.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ So you guys think I should pull the trigger? This has enough power to push my NHT's?

Sorry, usually I'd research for like 50 hours but my schedule is hell right now. lol
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I pulled the trigger. If anyone else thinks that maybe this wasnt the right purchase for my setup feel free to chime in, as I'll still have time to cancel the order.

But I;ve got to figure this is a giant upgrade over the receiver that I have. Cant wait to plug my U-turn Orbit into it!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Side note, I see this is an Amazon deal of the day and is marked down from $450 to $300. Is this unit any good? Is Yamaha reliable?

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V68...maha+RX-V681BL

I've owned Yamaha, Onyko and Pioneer receivers. They all have given me good service. Real good price on your unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page