Onkyo TX-RZ920 - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 308Likes

post #451 of 581 Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am thinking of moving my 820 to my basement system, and getting the 920 for my main living room system. The 920 is pretty attractive at some of the refurbished prices currently available, and it would allows me to add two more speakers for Atmos (I would run it as 7.1.2). Is there anything else I should be looking at right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 581 Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
I am thinking of moving my 820 to my basement system, and getting the 920 for my main living room system. The 920 is pretty attractive at some of the refurbished prices currently available, and it would allows me to add two more speakers for Atmos (I would run it as 7.1.2). Is there anything else I should be looking at right now?
Onkyo came out with the rz830. You might want to take a look at that one. It might have some features that the 920 does not have.

The rz830 does have 11.2 pre outs just like the rz920. I don't know if it has digital amps like the 920. But check it out.

-T
post #453 of 581 Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Onkyo came out with the rz830. You might want to take a look at that one. It might have some features that the 920 does not have.

The rz830 does have 11.2 pre outs just like the rz920. I don't know if it has digital amps like the 920. But check it out.

-T
Thanks. It looks like the 920 has "independent block construction" for the amps, which the 830 does not. Not sure if that is really a big deal or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 581 Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
Thanks. It looks like the 920 has "independent block construction" for the amps, which the 830 does not. Not sure if that is really a big deal or not.
It is better to have it than not.

The rz920 is better constructed. It weighs 5 lb more, has digital amps (analog amps weigh more then digital), and consumes 310 Watts per the specs.

The rz830 consumes 870 Watts.

it's not like if you consumed that amount of wattage in the rz830 you would be tripping circuit breakers. That would not happen. But it gives you an indication of what you're getting for your money in terms of power consumption inefficiency, and weight.

-T
post #455 of 581 Old 02-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It is better to have it than not.

The rz920 is better constructed. It weighs 5 lb more, has digital amps (analog amps weigh more then digital), and consumes 310 Watts per the specs.

The rz830 consumes 870 Watts.

it's not like if you consumed that amount of wattage in the rz830 you would be tripping circuit breakers. That would not happen. But it gives you an indication of what you're getting for your money in terms of power consumption inefficiency, and weight.

-T
Thanks. Looks like I'll be going for the 920 soon then!
post #456 of 581 Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is it possible to set up 2 AccuEQ Room Calibration zones? I have one AccuEQ sweet spot set up for my Home theater. I would like another set up for my card playing table behind and to the right of the home theater listening area where we would like to listen to music. I really haven't looked into this much as I just started thinking about it. Could this be done, using two zones, one for home theater and another for card table area (even though both zones would use same speakers).

Currently, music does not very good at card table.

I feel infinite
post #457 of 581 Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Are there any general tips for using AccuEQ? Like, if it sets my center and mains to 40 hz, is it fine to leave at that, or is it better to raise to 80 hz, where I have my subwoofer crossover set?
post #458 of 581 Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Are there any general tips for using AccuEQ? Like, if it sets my center and mains to 40 hz, is it fine to leave at that, or is it better to raise to 80 hz, where I have my subwoofer crossover set?
Most room correction systems (AccuEQ, Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, etc.) set crossovers based on what it determines a particular speaker's low end capability is. However, this is not necessarily the best option for blending your overall system capability. Therefore...general consensus and conventional wisdom recommend setting crossovers at 80Hz as a fixed or starting point. This allows the sub to do what it does best...heavy lifting of the low end below 80Hz...which also improves overall headroom. You can experiment with lowering to 60Hz and raising to 100Hz to hear the differences in your environment. Going below 60 will diminish headroom and exceeding 100/120 will likely result in being able to localize the sub. By all means feel free to experiment but with the understanding that users with subs would not leave it at 40Hz.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #459 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a set the max volume with this reciever to protect my Studio 590 JBL speakers from sudden volume spikes ?

Yesterday I was testing streaming from my smartphone to the built in Chromecast. I have found there is a delay between what I do on the phone to the time the reciever reacts.

I was streaming a song and I wanted to turn up the volume a bit so I used the volume toggle on my phone, for a few seconds volume did not go up then WHAM the AVR caught up to my phone which was at full volume. Nearly knocked me out off the sofa as I scrambled to turn it down. As far as I can tell my extremely expensive speakers are fine - it was only at max for 3 or 4 seconds. Still, I don't like that I did that to them and would like to set up a max volume setting on the AVR.

I know some other AVRs can do this, however I have not found the setting on the Onkyo TX RX920.

I feel infinite
post #460 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Most room correction systems (AccuEQ, Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, etc.) set crossovers based on what it determines a particular speaker's low end capability is. However, this is not necessarily the best option for blending your overall system capability. Therefore...general consensus and conventional wisdom recommend setting crossovers at 80Hz as a fixed or starting point. This allows the sub to do what it does best...heavy lifting of the low end below 80Hz...which also improves overall headroom. You can experiment with lowering to 60Hz and raising to 100Hz to hear the differences in your environment. Going below 60 will diminish headroom and exceeding 100/120 will likely result in being able to localize the sub. By all means feel free to experiment but with the understanding that users with subs would not leave it at 40Hz.
I actually did this. Ran AccuEQ, then the other day found the speaker settings and my towers were set to 40 or 60hz. So I set the towers to 80 hz. I really could not notice any difference.

My question is, doesn't it defeat the purpose of room correction if I go in and change the auto crossover settings manually that AccuEQ set ?

I feel infinite
post #461 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news.... My HDMI Sub out is working again 🙂

I think I complained last year on this... Stopped working. Turns out that the video card I was using at the time was causing several issues with my system.

Anyway, just setting the record straight.

Still happy with the 920.

-T
gene4ht likes this.
post #462 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
Is there a set the max volume with this reciever to protect my Studio 590 JBL speakers from sudden volume spikes ?

Yesterday I was testing streaming from my smartphone to the built in Chromecast. I have found there is a delay between what I do on the phone to the time the reciever reacts.

I was streaming a song and I wanted to turn up the volume a bit so I used the volume toggle on my phone, for a few seconds volume did not go up then WHAM the AVR caught up to my phone which was at full volume. Nearly knocked me out off the sofa as I scrambled to turn it down. As far as I can tell my extremely expensive speakers are fine - it was only at max for 3 or 4 seconds. Still, I don't like that I did that to them and would like to set up a max volume setting on the AVR.

I know some other AVRs can do this, however I have not found the setting on the Onkyo TX RX920.
In the settings... I forget where... You can set min and Max.

I set my min=40, and Max=70. My 920 is set to absolute scale too. Min of 40 means the Avr volume is 40 upon powering on. Max is a hard limit.

-T
post #463 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In the settings... I forget where... You can set min and Max.

I set my min=40, and Max=70. My 920 is set to absolute scale too. Min of 40 means the Avr volume is 40 upon powering on. Max is a hard limit.

-T
I'll need to dig in settings some more.

I feel infinite
post #464 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes...all the settings parameters can be found in the "Advanced" manual which can be found online. Specifically to your question...on the remote...go to:

- Setup - the little gear icon
- Audio Adjust
- Volume
- Maximum Volume - must select the "Absolute" volume scale to use this feature - change in Volume Display

Edit: Or as T-Bone suggests, you can also set the "Power On Volume" Min and Max under the Volume settings as well.
Mamasboy likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #465 of 581 Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually did this. Ran AccuEQ, then the other day found the speaker settings and my towers were set to 40 or 60hz. So I set the towers to 80 hz. I really could not notice any difference.

My question is, doesn't it defeat the purpose of room correction if I go in and change the auto crossover settings manually that AccuEQ set ?
No...an excellent resource for understanding how room correction functions is the Audyssey Guide and FAQ. The principles that govern Audyssey apply to many other RC systems as well...you'll find the answers to many of your questions here....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...a-1726.html#c2

post #466 of 581 Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Say I am playing a Dolby ATMOS disk like Mad Max: Fury Road.

What sound mode do I put the reciever on so I know I am getting full ATMOS goodness?

I am thinking Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus?

Same question for DTS:X? I am thinking DTS Neural:X

Also, is there an indicator on the AVR that tells me it is playing actual ATMOS or DTS:X (so I know I have it set to the correct sound mode).

I have been reading about these formats today and am thinking that maybe I am not setting the sound mode correctly to get ATMOS or DTS:X when it is available on the Blu Ray.

I feel infinite
post #467 of 581 Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What sound mode do I put the reciever on so I know I am getting full ATMOS goodness?

Also, is there an indicator on the AVR that tells me it is playing actual ATMOS or DTS:X (so I know I have it set to the correct sound mode).

I have been reading about these formats today and am thinking that maybe I am not setting the sound mode correctly to get ATMOS or DTS:X when it is available on the Blu Ray.
My 920 auto switches to the right sound mode: Atmos or DTS:X depending on the 3D audio in the source.

For non 3D audio, it switches to the correct mode such as DTS-HD MSTR, TrueHD, DD, etc.

There might be an easier way... but there are a few buttons on the remote:. Movie, music, and game. gives you the ability to set your preferred sound modes for either movies, or music, or console games.

For non-3D audio for movies, just keep pressing the movies button to cycle thru the modes... You will have both DTS Neural X and Dolby Surr upmixers available... So select one of the upmixers and the receiver remembers what you selected. The next time you play non-3D audio.

If you truly have DTS X or Atmos content playing, and assuming you're receiver is set up properly, then press the info button on the remote control and the front panel should display either DTS X or Atmos.

also, you can press movie button to cycle through the modes, you should see that it is on the appropriate 3D audio mode. DTS X neural and Dolby surround are not available as options when the receiver receives 3D audio.

-T
post #468 of 581 Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
My 920 auto switches to the right sound mode: Atmos or DTS:X depending on the 3D audio in the source.

For non 3D audio, it switches to the correct mode such as DTS-HD MSTR, TrueHD, DD, etc.

There might be an easier way... but there are a few buttons on the remote:. Movie, music, and game. gives you the ability to set your preferred sound modes for either movies, or music, or console games.

For non-3D audio for movies, just keep pressing the movies button to cycle thru the modes... You will have both DTS Neural X and Dolby Surr upmixers available... So select one of the upmixers and the receiver remembers what you selected. The next time you play non-3D audio.

If you truly have DTS X or Atmos content playing, and assuming you're receiver is set up properly, then press the info button on the remote control and the front panel should display either DTS X or Atmos.

also, you can press movie button to cycle through the modes, you should see that it is on the appropriate 3D audio mode. DTS X neural and Dolby surround are not available as options when the receiver receives 3D audio.

-T
T-Bone is correct. An Atmos or DTS:X encoded disc or stream will automatically be detected by the 920 and the proper/appropriate decoder will be used...no need to set or select anything. Previous Onkyo's had a two line display and Atmos/DTS:X would have showned up in the AVR's display. Unfortunately, Onkyo chose to use a single line display in newer models. To see/confirm what codec is being processed, as "T" indicated, just hit the "info" (i) button on the remote and the current codec will be displayed both on the AVR's and on screen. Unfortunately, it's only displayed momentarily before returning to the original display info. It's never been understood why Onkyo abandoned the two line display...IMO...a product decision/design mistake.

All the other sound "modes" must be manually selected with either the movie-tv/music/game mode buttons. There's no right or wrong here, use whatever sounds good to you. However, also as "T" mentioned, when playing non Atmos or non DTS:X encoded discs, particularly older discs, try using the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) or the DTS:X upmixer (Neural:X)...both will make use of your overhead/height/DAES speakers and provide an immersive experience similar to Atmos and DTS:X. This has been an surprising by product of Atmos and DTS:X and most users have reported very good results.

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-17-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #469 of 581 Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-T
Good information on hitting the info button to see if it has ATMOS or DTX:X sound.

However, mine never auto switches automatically to a mode. I need to manually switch it. Is there a setting to have it auto switch?

So if I have ATMOS what mode should I switch it to? Same for DTS:X ?

Also, I don't think I have a mode called DTS-HD MSTR

Quote:
DTS X neural and Dolby surround are not available as options when the receiver receives 3D audio.
DTS X neural and Dolby surround are always available for me even when I play a disk with ATMOS (don't think I knowingly came across a DTS:X movie yet).

I feel infinite

Last edited by Mamasboy; 02-17-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #470 of 581 Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good information on hitting the info button to see if it has ATMOS or DTX:X sound.

However, mine never auto switches automatically to a mode. I need to manually switch it. Is there a setting to have it auto switch?

DTS X neural and Dolby surround are always available for me even when I play a disk with ATMOS (don't think I knowingly came across a DTS:X movie yet).
If you are playing a known Atmos or DTS:X disc and the player is outputting bitstream (not PCM), the 920 and all AVR's will automatically select Atmos or DTS:X...there is nothing to set or select as these are not optional modes to be selected.. This can be confirmed when you hit the (i) button,. You only manually select the other sound "modes."
Mamasboy likes this.

post #471 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

If you are playing a known Atmos or DTS:X disc and the player is outputting bitstream (not PCM), the 920 and all AVR's will automatically select Atmos or DTS:X...there is nothing to set or select as these are not optional modes to be selected.. This can be confirmed when you hit the (i) button,. You only manually select the other sound "modes."
Gene, I think you hit the nail on the head. He probably is not bitstreaming?

Hey Mamasboy, when you press the info button on the remote control, it gives you three pieces of information. The first time you press the info button, the display panel shows the sound mode you have selected. The second time you press the info button, the front panel shows you the audio input signal format. the third time you press the info button, the front panel shows you information about the video input.

I'm curious what you see when you press the info button the second time. I'm wondering what you are seeing as your audio input format.

For instance, in my case, information when I play a non-3D audio BD rip (the first Iron Man) shows that I am using DTS neural X sound mode, the input signal is TruHD, and the video is not important in this discussion.

When I play ripped CDs, my Onkyo reports it is receiving MCH audio (multichannel) because that is what my PC is outputting. in those cases I change the sound mode to stereo and everything sounds great.

please go ahead and report back on what your Onkyo is showing in terms of the audio it thinks it is receiving using the info button.

-T
gene4ht and Mamasboy like this.
post #472 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I just checked. My media player was set at PCM sound. I changed to bitstream and it seems to be working.

I tried the movie Darkest Hour which I know is ATMOS and it shows now shows as ATMOS is playing. I guess I have been missing out on ATMOS sound all this time. I am glad I asked. (Unfortunately, the latest Blade Runner says Dolby 5.1.4 - not ATMOS).

I have a couple movies that have a DTS-HD sound track. Now the Onkyo automatically goes to DTS Neural: X when I just played and tested them. Is DTS Neural: X the same as DTS:X ?

I don't know of any movies I have that are DTS:X that I can check to be sure.

But my problem was definitely not having things set to Bitstreaming. Why would want one ever use PCM ? What is the purpose of that?

I feel infinite

Last edited by Mamasboy; 02-18-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #473 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just checked. My media player was set at PCM sound. I changed to bitstream and it seems to be working.

I tried the movie Darkest Hour which I know is ATMOS and it shows no shows as ATMOS is playing. I guess I have been missing out on ATMOS sound all this time. I am glad I asked. (Unfortunately, the latest Blade Runner says Dolby 5.1.4 - not ATMOS).

I have a couple movies that have a DTS-HD sound track. Now the Onkyo automatically goes to DTS Neural: X when I just played and tested them. Is DTS Neural: X the same as DTS:X ?

But my problem was definitely not having things set to Bitstreaming. Why would want one ever use PCM ? What is the purpose of that?
Sounds like you are on the right track now. Bit streaming was your culprit. Good catch by Gene.

DTS:X is 3D audio mastered at the studio. Just like Atmos. The sounds will appear in the overhead speakers. Since it was authored that way at the studio.

DTS Neural X is an upmixer. It takes audio that is not 3D, like Dolby digital, Dolby digital plus, DTS high resolution, DTS high-resolution Master audio, true HD, etc, and it extracts some audio and places them in the overhead speakers... So that you get something that sounds similar to DTS:X.

girl on a train, the one with Emily blunt, is a native DTS:X audio.

-T
gene4ht and Mamasboy like this.
post #474 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

While my 5.1.4 setup sounded like I was surrounded by sound, I never noticed the movement of sound from above. This got me thinking as to whether ATMOS was working. I am glad I dug into it and am now excited to listen to a soundtrack in ATMOS.
gene4ht likes this.

I feel infinite
post #475 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the latest Blade Runner says Dolby 5.1.4 - not ATMOS).
When Atmos was first introduced, many BluRays were encoded with Atmos. However, unfortunately, "most" studios now only encode 4K UHD discs with Atmos...not BluRays...so you'll need to get the 4K version of Blade Runner to get Atmos. Check the back of the packaging to see if Atmos is on the disc. Most of enthusiasts are not happy about this.

Quote:
Is DTS Neural: X the same as DTS:X ?
No...DTS:X is 3D sound encoded = Atmos and Neural:X is the upmixer = Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU)

Quote:
There are several sites that track/list Atmos and DTS:X encoded discs....here are some examples of popular ones...

https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/d...lu-ray-movies/

https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dtsx-blu-ray-movies/

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=257742

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-18-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #476 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While my 5.1.4 setup sounded like I was surrounded by sound, I never noticed the movement of sound from above. This got me thinking as to whether ATMOS was working. I am glad I dug into it and am now excited to listen to a soundtrack in ATMOS.
This is exactly what Atmos brings to the table...the ability to place objects (stationary or movement) anywhere in 3D space...but not all Atmos discs are created equal...however, film makers are getting better at it with each new release. Enjoy!

post #477 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey "T"

Wish I was down there with you! The snowfall (as Mamasboy will likely also confirm) here in Michigan is getting tiresome! The good news is I get to stay in and catch up with movies!

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-18-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #478 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When Atmos was first introduced, many BluRays were encoded with Atmos. However, unfortunately, "most" studios now only encode 4K UHD discs with Atmos...not BluRays...so you'll need to get the 4K version of Blade Runner to get Atmos. Check the back of the packaging to see if Atmos is on the disc. Most of enthusiasts are not happy about this.
I believe the Blu Ray version of Blade Runner is in ATMOS according to some of the ATMOS tracking sites. I think user rip error to my Dune media player.

While reading up on ATMOS I learned that takes a lot of space an can only fit on Blu Rays with some audio compression. So this might be one reason they are mostly doing UHD ATMOS now. DTS:X is supposed to be a much simpler process to do 3D audio to disk for the studios but is not widely adopted yet.

I do a lot of renting of Blu Rays and don't have a 4K player. It seems renting 4K disks will be much more difficult. I don't have 4K yet because my 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma still looks and works awesome. When it dies I hope OLED will be perfected and cheaper. I see that Netflix offers some 4K with ATMOS but very few devices that support Netflix streaming with ATMOS - no Roku or Fire TV yet.

Quote:

Wish I was down there with you! The snowfall (as Mamasboy will likely also confirm) here in Michigan is getting tiresome! The good news is I get to stay in and catch up with movies!
We had a good 6 inches in Ann Arbor area. Nice out though. Fluffy snow, no wind, not crazy cold. Definitely good movie watching weather though .

I feel infinite
post #479 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey "T"

Wish I was down there with you! The snowfall (as Mamasboy will likely also confirm) here in Michigan is getting tiresome![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] The good news is I get to stay in and catch up with movies![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
[Cue the violins]
You think you have it bad, I was sweating in Florida sun yesterday as I cleaned the Pool. 🙂

-T
post #480 of 581 Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the Blu Ray version of Blade Runner is in ATMOS according to some of the ATMOS tracking sites. I think user rip error to my Dune media player.
I could be mistaken but my understanding is the original Blade Runner is not Atmos...but the current Blade Runner 2049 UHD version is Atmos.

Quote:
While reading up on ATMOS I learned that takes a lot of space an can only fit on Blu Rays with some audio compression. So this might be one reason they are mostly doing UHD ATMOS now. DTS:X is supposed to be a much simpler process to do 3D audio to disk for the studios but is not widely adopted yet.
That explanation is certainly plausible/possible but my guess is more the studio's marketing strategy for generating additional revenue...did I say greed?

Quote:
I do a lot of renting of Blu Rays and don't have a 4K player. It seems renting 4K disks will be much more difficult
4K discs have been available for "mail" rental for some time now. Both Redbox and Family Video have them locally.

Quote:
I don't have 4K yet because my 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma still looks and works awesome. When it dies I hope OLED will be perfected and cheaper.
Your plasma was king for a long time and can't blame you for keeping it. My neighbor just recently replaced his plasma with an LG 65C8 OLED...unquestionably very nice...and very expensive! For movies and a true cinematic experience unmatched by flat panels, I've grown to appreciate and prefer the larger images of front projection. For general viewing, I still have a 50" rear projection Samsung. When it bites the dust, I'll likely replace it with a 65" or 75" Sony XBR 900

Quote:
I see that Netflix offers some 4K with ATMOS but very few devices that support Netflix streaming with ATMOS - no Roku or Fire TV yet.
I believe only ATV4K at this time...

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-18-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
missing audio , receiver , spoken word , surround modes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page