AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Onkyo TX-RZ920 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2943992-onkyo-tx-rz920.html)

T-Bone 12-22-2017 08:54 AM

Onkyo TX-RZ920

On September 7, 2017, Onkyo announced a new 9.2 receiver for 2017: TX-RZ920. This is an exciting receiver... 11 channels of processing that includes Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log Gamma, and HDR10. And, like some of Onkyo's other high end receivers, it features digital amplifiers.

Link to TX-RZ920 product page

Link to product sheet

Link to user manual

The announcement (hidden to keep the post uncluttered):
Spoiler!

-T

T-Bone 12-22-2017 09:08 AM

Reserved

bslep 12-22-2017 10:30 AM

Nice!

zimmo 12-22-2017 01:16 PM

THANK T-BONE

ok now what you think ,this machine is good strong power and good sound ,I need information before a buy .

T-Bone 12-22-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmo (Post 55366428)
THANK T-BONE

ok now what you think ,this machine is good strong power and good sound ,I need information before a buy .

I have not set mine up yet, but plan to do so after Christmas morning. My initial setup will be just 7.1 so I can give feedback on that in a few days.

I do use a dedicated amp in my current system. And it has a very very low noise floor. There's no hissing in the speakers even when my current Denon X 3100 is turned up high. So that'll be something I look at when I set up the Onkyo.

I might even try running the Onkyo without the dedicated amp. Just to see if it works well in my current environment.

-T

supersecretjim 12-22-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55366552)
I have not set mine up yet, but plan to do so after Christmas morning. My initial setup will be just 7.1 so I can give feedback on that in a few days.

I do use a dedicated amp in my current system. And it has a very very low noise floor. There's no hissing in the speakers even when my current Denon X 3100 is turned up high. So that'll be something I look at when I set up the Onkyo.

I might even try running the Onkyo without the dedicated amp. Just to see if it works well in my current environment.

-T

Try it without the dedicated amp for a short time. See how it compares to that. Will be interesting.

mtrot 12-22-2017 09:08 PM

Yes, I would be seriously looking at that model if I were shopping for an AVR right now, especially considering that it supports SACD and DVD-Audio over HDMI! And has a phono input as well. On the down side, at least for me, is that Onkyo seems to have dropped SiriusXM capability. I listen to SXM a lot on my Denon AVR-X5200.

gene4ht 12-22-2017 09:30 PM

Anyone either now or soon planning on expanding to 11 channel capability...ie 7.x.4?

T-Bone 12-23-2017 06:21 AM

42 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gene4ht (Post 55368172)
Anyone either now or soon planning on expanding to 11 channel capability...ie 7.x.4?

I bought the 920 because I did want to move from 7.1 to 7.1.4. I plan to put in 4 ceiling speakers... Been doing a lot of research for ceiling speakers the last couple of days.

I'm in Central Florida so I have a small window of opportunity left since I have to crawl into my attic to Route the speaker wires for my game room. So if I don't get it done by February, I pretty much have to 10 months.

-T

gene4ht 12-23-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55369030)
I bought the 920 because I did want to move from 7.1 to 7.1.4. I plan to put in 4 ceiling speakers... Been doing a lot of research for ceiling speakers the last couple of days.

I'm in Central Florida so I have a small window of opportunity left since I have to crawl into my attic to Route the speaker wires for my game room. So if I don't get it done by February, I pretty much have to 10 months.

-T

I understand...as I used to spend quite a bit of time in FL (Jacksonville, Daytona, Ormond Beach, Orlando, Lakeland, Miami, and Tampa/St Pete). WRT Amos ceiling speakers, I did a lot of research two years ago before installing four 8" Micca's from Amazon. You'll probably come across some of my postings in the "What's the best ceiling speaker for Atmos?" thread and the following is my recent posting in the Klipsch thread. Of course, this is strictly my opinion and your thoughts and mileage may be different.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55361608

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55364848

Regarding the expansion to 11 Channels, I was curious what external amps folks would be using. Just based on some of the postings from others who have gone this route, the most popular and least expensive appears to be...

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-...ource+amp100vs

or if you want to go a bit more upscale and match the 920, I came across this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8EIO2E...rum-convert-20

In any case, good luck with your search and speaker installation...and don't "sweat" it!:D

T-Bone 12-23-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gene4ht (Post 55369532)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55369030)

-T

I understand...as I used to spend quite a bit of time in FL (Jacksonville, Daytona, Ormond Beach, Orlando, Lakeland, Miami, and Tampa/St Pete). WRT Amos ceiling speakers, I did a lot of research two years ago before installing four 8" Micca's from Amazon. You'll probably come across some of my postings in the "What's the best ceiling speaker for Atmos?" thread and the following is my recent posting in the Klipsch thread. Of course, this is strictly my opinion and your thoughts and mileage may be different.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55361608

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55364848

Regarding the expansion to 11 Channels, I was curious what external amps folks would be using. Just based on some of the postings from others who have gone this route, the most popular and least expensive appears to be...

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-...ource+amp100vs

or if you want to go a bit more upscale and match the 920, I came across this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8EIO2E...rum-convert-20

In any case, good luck with your search and speaker installation...and don't "sweat" it![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Thanks for the thread references. I'll be sure to check them out.

I know in my case, I have a Boston Acoustics A7200 on clearance in 2006... 7x100W... It's a clone of the Sherwood Newcastle A965. So it is an easy solution for me to expand :-)

-T

gene4ht 12-23-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55369636)
Thanks for the thread references. I'll be sure to check them out.

I know in my case, I have a Boston Acoustics A7200 on clearance in 2006... 7x100W... It's a clone of the Sherwood Newcastle A965. So it is an easy solution for me to expand :-)

-T

That sounds like a very nice amp...lots of options...you should be all set.

Tip: When you cut the holes for your ceiling speakers, be sure to save the cutouts...just in case you want to patch or move speakers later...you never know.

T-Bone 12-25-2017 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The 920 is in the rack... I am amazed at how much larger it is compared to my Denon X3100. Next, I have to run AccuReflex.

-T

PRO-630HD 12-25-2017 06:02 PM

I picked one of these up about a week and a half ago from Best Buy. They price matched Amazon and at the time the price was $1150. Then two days later it dropped to $1000 and I price matched Amazon again at Best Buy. Days before it was $1,500 so it was an absolute steal and believe it or not a bit cheaper than the Onkyo TX-RZ820 on the day of purchase. The price had kept dropping on a daily basis and no kidding 30 minutes after the 2nd price match at BB the Amazon price went to $950. I had to go to work at that point and by the time I got off shift the price went back up to $1,300. So a bit of an early Xmas present for me.

It is replacing a Pioneer Elite SC-67 as both the Right and center channels went out. This was also after it had been fixed 2 years ago for audio dropouts and fluctuations in volume. The right channel issue could be fixed by using the bi-amp option even though in actuality I wasn't bi-amping the speaker. This was the 2nd Pioneer Elite receiver in a row that one of the front main speakers went out the last being my SC-05 so fool me twice shame on me. It was time for a change in manufacturer and I had a Onkyo TX-SR805 back in the day that was a beast and a crazy value for the money.

On a side note it is stunning in appearance! Easily my pick for the best looking receiver on the market shared with the 820, 810, 1100, 3100 and 5100 of course. Classical lines in a somewhat retro sheik look.

T-Bone 12-26-2017 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRO-630HD (Post 55379342)
I picked one of these up about a week and a half ago from Best Buy. They price matched Amazon and at the time the price was $1150. Then two days later it dropped to $1000 and I price matched Amazon again at Best Buy. Days before it was $1,500 so it was an absolute steal and believe it or not a bit cheaper than the Onkyo TX-RZ820 on the day of purchase. The price had kept dropping on a daily basis and no kidding 30 minutes after the 2nd price match at BB the Amazon price went to $950. I had to go to work at that point and by the time I got off shift the price went back up to $1,300. So a bit of an early Xmas present for me.

It is replacing a Pioneer Elite SC-67 as both the Right and center channels went out. This was also after it had been fixed 2 years ago for audio dropouts and fluctuations in volume. The right channel issue could be fixed by using the bi-amp option even though in actuality I wasn't bi-amping the speaker. This was the 2nd Pioneer Elite receiver in a row that one of the front main speakers went out the last being my SC-05 so fool me twice shame on me. It was time for a change in manufacturer and I had a Onkyo TX-SR805 back in the day that was a beast and a crazy value for the money.

On a side note it is stunning in appearance! Easily my pick for the best looking receiver on the market shared with the 820, 810, 1100, 3100 and 5100 of course. Classical lines in a somewhat retro sheik look.

Ya, we got lucky :) I bought it at the lowest Amazon price :). It was at that price for 1/2 a day, or something like that.

-T

T-Bone 12-26-2017 05:11 AM

44 Attachment(s)
Quick follow-up on noise floor since I said would report on it.

I currently use an external amp and it's noise floor is really really low (a rebadged Sherwood Newcastle A965).

So I wanted to check the noise floor on the 920 amps. So I hooked up 1 speaker to the 920 aml... just the front Left. Turn the dial way up (so no Media playing [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]) and put my ear to the speakers.

Unfortunately I misplaced my SPL meter, but based on my observation and my ears, it seems like the amps inside the 920 have noise floor comprable to my external amp. Sounded dead silent to me.

This is my first AVR with digital amps. So I'm not even sure if there is supposed to be any spurious noise in the output like the class AB amps sometimes have. So maybe my test was all for nothing :-)

-T

bslep 12-29-2017 10:47 AM

Well bad news. The audio drop-outs returned yesterday. Also had a couple of video drop-outs where I had to turn the receiver off and back on the reestablish the video. I am within my 30 day return window so I am exchanging it for another 920. I really like this receiver and would be seriously bummed if the replacement exhibits the same issues. Anyone else experiencing any audio or video drop-outs?

T-Bone 12-29-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bslep (Post 55398352)
Well bad news. The audio drop-outs returned yesterday. Also had a couple of video drop-outs where I had to turn the receiver off and back on the reestablish the video. I am within my 30 day return window so I am exchanging it for another 920. I really like this receiver and would be seriously bummed if the replacement exhibits the same issues. Anyone else experiencing any audio or video drop-outs?

I've got about 10 hours on mine. But I have not experienced that. Also, I updated my firmware to the latest one. Did that yesterday. Watch the movie after the firmware upgrade and everything was still okay.

Maybe @OnkyoUSA will chime in.

-T

bslep 12-29-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55398500)
I've got about 10 hours on mine. But I have not experienced that. Also, I updated my firmware to the latest one. Did that yesterday. Watch the movie after the firmware upgrade and everything was still okay.

-T

Well that’s good to hear. Thanks for the reply.

gene4ht 12-29-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 55398500)

-T

Among a short list of AVRs, I anticipate auditioning a 920 in my home within the next couple of weeks and will post my findings as well.

zimmo 12-29-2017 07:53 PM

BSLEP

when I buy my onkyo tx-nr906 in 2008 I have same problem on you , first I change all my cable and maybe in your tv some hdmi in no work good or make complete renitialisation to the 920 .

zimmo 12-29-2017 07:56 PM

GENE4HT

I wait for you,this 920 I think is very good but I check how you like this 920 before I go to the bank:).

PRO-630HD 12-30-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

I have had mine for about two weeks now. No audio or video dropouts of any kind.

T-Bone 12-30-2017 10:36 AM

44 Attachment(s)
I did notice one issue last night... when watching ripped 1080p 24hz Blu-rays on my HTPC, using JRiver MC version 23, I get an occasional static pop sound after i skip ahead 30 seconds (one button push skips ahead 30 seconds). JRiver is set to output at either 23 or 24 hz depending on the source rip. Was lossless audio too. It is completely random and happens about 5 percent of the time.

I tested a lot with JRiver by playing back recorded over the air broadcasts with DD. Never got a pop. I tried a lot.

Did a quick Google and discovered this is a problem that has been experienced by other units and not just Onkyo. And some Tivo models. And not everybody experiences it.

I have a work around. My Harmony remote Mutes the receiver, skips ahead, and then unmutes.

My Denon x3100 never did this.

So at this point, I am not returning it or replacing it. I'm going to do some further testing with Windows Media Center to see if it causes the issue with my Blu-ray rips. Mainly because I'm curious if it is JRiver media center or the Onkyo. Could be just an incompatibility between the two units.

Just sharing...
-T

bslep 12-30-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmo (Post 55401212)
BSLEP

when I buy my onkyo tx-nr906 in 2008 I have same problem on you , first I change all my cable and maybe in your tv some hdmi in no work good or make complete renitialisation to the 920 .

When I first experienced the audio drops I did a factory reset and it was fine for about three weeks and then came back. Also lost the video three times. So I am exchanging the unit for a new one. It will be here Wednesday.

zimmo 12-30-2017 01:43 PM

BSLEP

Iam very sorry for you ,give the new when you try and test the new one.

gene4ht 12-30-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmo (Post 55401222)
GENE4HT

I wait for you,this 920 I think is very good but I check how you like this 920 before I go to the bank:).

You, I, and a few others have been waiting since January 2016!:) So, another month really doesn't matter.:) The 920 seems promising from several of my want/need perspectives...but hopefully for superior LFE performance that I'm looking for. I will likely also demo the 8012 and possibly the 8500. My hesitations are that the 8012 will not be upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 and the 8500's MSRP will likely be quite high...I'm betting $3500 - $4000 U.S. This all makes the 920 more appealing for me, especially at it's price point, even as a solution while possibly awaiting Onkyo's 1100/3100 replacements in late 2018. With CES opening on January 9th, I'm curious about the announcement of the 8500 (13 amp and 15 processing channels) is leading edge for an AVR!

gene4ht 12-30-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bslep (Post 55404002)
When I first experienced the audio drops I did a factory reset and it was fine for about three weeks and then came back. Also lost the video three times. So I am exchanging the unit for a new one. It will be here Wednesday.

I'm anticipating the replacement will be the charm!

gene4ht 01-06-2018 05:03 PM

@bslep ...any update on your replacement 920?

bslep 01-07-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gene4ht (Post 55445864)
@bslep ...any update on your replacement 920?

Hi Gene. Yes, I did get my replacement 920 on Wednesday. I didn’t want to jinx myself by posting. I have not had any audio or video drop issues. I have not had any issues at all. I am cautiously optimistic that my other 920 was just a one-off thing and not representive of the 920 line.

Bob