Marantz AV8806 desired features thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By boe
  • 2 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By alebonau
  • 3 Post By adrummingdude
  • 1 Post By exm
  • 2 Post By Jawaburger
  • 1 Post By boe
  • 2 Post By Molon_Labe
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Marantz AV8806 desired features wish list.

Since the Marantz AV8805 they are about to release doesn't shiver me timbers, I thought I'd post a thread on what I'd want in the AV8806 unit.


1. Drop the portal display - biggest complaint - hard to see off angle and not as informative as a large display hidden behind the panel. Also even though my eyes are good for distance at 12 or 14' the small letters in the portal display are hard to read IMHO. The hidden display should be the main display and a second large one hidden behind the front panel could be very helpful for displaying additional diagnostic information or status information -e.g. zone, menu component, update status, network IP, bandwidth utilization, detailed input information... I admit I have zero use for anything behind the hidden panel accept the larger display which for me is essential. I'd be fine if they dropped all the hidden controls and put in a large informative display like some units as the Rotel 1582 and others have.


2. Add a switched AC trigger or enable the ability to disable the DC delay trigger.


3. Improve the Web interface features.


4. Give us plenty of full fledged HDMI 2.1



5. Have a current spec Display port (1.4) in and out. Becoming more important with items like the new Geforce/HP/AOC 65" gaming monitor. I expect we'll be seeing DP 1.5 finalized in the next 6 months.




6. Make the unit easy to upgrade - like a video card, network card, raid controller. If there is a new HDMI or DP upgrade, make it easy to just replace the card so we don't have to ship it to Butte Fuque to get it upgraded waiting without a HT system.








torolan likes this.

Last edited by boe; 01-10-2018 at 09:09 PM.
boe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,716
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21841 Post(s)
Liked: 11837
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

5. Have an option to disable zone 2 and 3. Accidentally using them can mess up your triggers among other things. While it is great there are other zones as an option I imagine 90% of the customers won't use this feature.

Disable how? You can already disable the Zones from not being powered on from the Marantz remote.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	783
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2343682  
boe and bigguyca like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Good to know - I'll remove it from my list.

Last edited by boe; 01-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.
boe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
marantz please add back a proper calibrated mic and eq system into this series as we have in the current marantz av8802A. its a back ward step to remove use of the audyssey pro system with calibrated mic and decent stand nad mic pre amp etc to drop back to the cheap plastic mic we get with card board rocket that is supposed to be used for eq in the newer gen.

most people i would suggest woudl say that marantz is lagging now in the eq department.

so please add to wish list

proper calibrated mic (with calibration file) and eq system that provides people a genuine option to upgrade on the built in system.

other brands eg anthem offer this so why not for marantz where this is supposed to be flagship unit after all costing quite a few thousands off dollars.
Marc Alexander likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I’m astounded that in today’s AV world there still isnt a flagship processor that includes timing for more than two subwoofers as part of it’s correction software. Sure, now I can hang 15 speakers from the rafters...whatever that’s worth...but my bottom end is still going to sound like a hot donkey turd unless I tune multiple subs manually.

XT32 in general is far from the best platform out there, and how many generations of D+M processors has it been in now? It’s embarrasing really. This is supposed to be the best sounding HT preamp the firm has ever made, yet they stick with an antiquated correction platform. I mean, does it even correct with a higher resolution than 48khz yet, or are they sticking with that still being too taxing on DSP chips, which have gotten oh about 50 times faster in recent years.
alebonau, boe and duckymomo like this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 516
This thread is a hoot AV8805 is not even out yet a new one is already desired. I have to agree with the masses that the AV8805 is kind of a disappointment , but living up to the AV8802a was going to be a hard feat because it is such a good processor for the price point. I am going to have to buy a new processor when we move and I build my dedicated theater. I want to do at least 9.4.6 and a laser projector. So here to the AV8806 making things right.
Dave-T is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Features desires for the AV8807:
- Self cleaning the house
- Dolby 30.8.10
- HDMI 10.2

Price-point of $500

eriksells916 likes this.
exm is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Hdmi 2.2 for the inevitable holographic video format
Ruined is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Drop anything having to do with analog video, including component video. This will allow space and budget for other enhancements, likely reduce noise levels, and eliminate an aggravating piece of outmoded technology.

Use AKM AK4493 DAC's, which are the latest generation and replace the current AK4490 in AKM's lineup.

Use 1% metal film surface mount resistors in key areas instead of metal oxide units. These don't cost much, and have lower distortion and noise.

Add support for 4 subwoofers instead of the current 2.

Replace the porthole display with a much bigger, rectangular display; or upgrade the porthole display to a high resolution OLED display, and provide an everchanging undersea view with a user selectable choice of fish and other interesting sea creatures.

Eliminate all jumpers on circuit boards by using 4-layer boards as needed. The goals is to reduce noise.

Connect the HDAM connector boards to the main circuit boards with connector circuit boards, not wires. The goal is to reduce noise and crosstalk.

Full support for HDMI 2.1.

Add another volume control chip. With other changes this will allow features such as maintaining the L&R XLR input signals at a high level, and balanced, through the unit, to improve signal to noise performance, instead of attenuating the signal and converting to single-ended. This will make the XLR input more of a premium input. Enhancements to the analog output circuitry for the L&R channels, that support the L&R channel DAC, would enhance the quality of stereo signals that originate in digital form. Such improvements in stereo performance might cause some people to use the AV8805 for really high quality stereo listening as opposed to this same set of people making significant added investments in pure stereo gear.

Increase opamp supply voltages to a minimum of plus or minus 12 V.

Upgrade the opamps to at least 5532's, which are cheap.

Move production of the product to Vietnam or another low cost country, if required to maintain, or preferably lower the current price and add the above features. The AV7704, for example, is very well made, and it is produced in Vietnam. From a normal seating position it is impossible to see the country of manufacture lettering on the back panel of the unit.
bigguyca is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Drop anything having to do with analog video, including component video. This will allow space and budget for other enhancements, likely reduce noise levels, and eliminate an aggravating piece of outmoded technology.

Use AKM AK4493 DAC's, which are the latest generation and replace the current AK4490 in AKM's lineup.

Use 1% metal film surface mount resistors in key areas instead of metal oxide units. These don't cost much, and have lower distortion and noise.

Add support for 4 subwoofers instead of the current 2.

Replace the porthole display with a much bigger, rectangular display; or upgrade the porthole display to a high resolution OLED display, and provide an everchanging undersea view with a user selectable choice of fish and other interesting sea creatures.

Eliminate all jumpers on circuit boards by using 4-layer boards as needed. The goals is to reduce noise.

Connect the HDAM connector boards to the main circuit boards with connector circuit boards, not wires. The goal is to reduce noise and crosstalk.

Full support for HDMI 2.1.

Add another volume control chip. With other changes this will allow features such as maintaining the L&R XLR input signals at a high level, and balanced, through the unit, to improve signal to noise performance, instead of attenuating the signal and converting to single-ended. This will make the XLR input more of a premium input. Enhancements to the analog output circuitry for the L&R channels, that support the L&R channel DAC, would enhance the quality of stereo signals that originate in digital form. Such improvements in stereo performance might cause some people to use the AV8805 for really high quality stereo listening as opposed to this same set of people making significant added investments in pure stereo gear.

Increase opamp supply voltages to a minimum of plus or minus 12 V.

Upgrade the opamps to at least 5532's, which are cheap.

Move production of the product to Vietnam or another low cost country, if required to maintain, or preferably lower the current price and add the above features. The AV7704, for example, is very well made, and it is produced in Vietnam. From a normal seating position it is impossible to see the country of manufacture lettering on the back panel of the unit.
Interesting list!
boe is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 850
My only wish is to drop the Copper for Gold.
Blacklightning is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Jawaburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I want a USB DAC for use with PC audio.
Marc Alexander and mlknez like this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
Jawaburger is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I think the 8805 was released in March of 2018. I think 2 years would be fine for a new model. Some people were predicting that they'll keep the 8805 and just sell it with the HDMI upgrade - no new model overall. Nothing is essential before I buy other than the new HDMI although I'd love a much more detailed screen and would love to lose the tiny portal screen. Sadly when I made my mock up a while back I was hoping Oppo would still be in business.
boe is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,716
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21841 Post(s)
Liked: 11837
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I think the 8805 was released in March of 2018. I think 2 years would be fine for a new model. Some people were predicting that they'll keep the 8805 and just sell it with the HDMI upgrade - no new model overall. Nothing is essential before I buy other than the new HDMI although I'd love a much more detailed screen and would love to lose the tiny portal screen. Sadly when I made my mock up a while back I was hoping Oppo would still be in business.
Denon and Marantz flagship models are normally released every 3 years, however, with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade likely being available in 2020, a successor model won't likely be released until 2023.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Denon and Marantz flagship models are normally released every 3 years, however, with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade likely being available in 2020, a successor model won't likely be released until 2023.
You could well be right. I'm sure if I wait they won't release one with a big window in the next 4 years. If I buy one today, they'll announce the new model with a big screen 60 days later. I will wait for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade before ordering though.
TL5 likes this.
boe is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,062
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Liked: 3687
Two words is all I want.

Dirac Live
mcallister and hogues like this.
Molon_Labe is online now  
post #17 of 17 Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I think the 8805 was released in March of 2018. I think 2 years would be fine for a new model. Some people were predicting that they'll keep the 8805 and just sell it with the HDMI upgrade - no new model overall. Nothing is essential before I buy other than the new HDMI although I'd love a much more detailed screen and would love to lose the tiny portal screen. Sadly when I made my mock up a while back I was hoping Oppo would still be in business.
Denon and Marantz flagship models are normally released every 3 years, however, with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade likely being available in 2020, a successor model won't likely be released until 2023.
With classe now within the D&M family my bet is the next flagship will be a classe SSP ...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off