ATI ATP16... 16 channels preamp/processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1 of 89 Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 317
ATI ATP16... 16 channels preamp/processor

From here: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-goes-dirac

Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 372
This sounds very exciting...

More details please.
post #3 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Has anyone heard anymore details on this unit?

Will the end user be able to run Dirac themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
I understand this is based on the Datasat LS-10. I do not know what differences, if any, will be incorporated into the ATP-16.
post #5 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
I understand this is based on the Datasat LS-10. I do not know what differences, if any, will be incorporated into the ATP-16.
It's nice to see you post Jeff. I hope you are enjoying your much deserved retirement.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #6 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It's nice to see you post Jeff. I hope you are enjoying your much deserved retirement.
Thanks, Steve. I am enjoying it.

Jeff
post #7 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Has anyone heard anymore details on this unit?

Will the end user be able to run Dirac themselves?
Also curious about this as it could be a nice companion for my ATI AT6007's.

Ideally, it would be a slightly tweaked Datasat LS10 with:

1) User can obtain the required items (calibrated mic and the Dirac software) to do their own Dirac calibration at a reasonable cost.

2) Make the 16 outputs channels assignable so that the user can do things like use 2 outputs per channel to bi-amp 7 main channels and configure a pair of subwoofer outputs. This would be perfect for those of us who don't have the option to install additional channels. Though it would be ideal, there's no need for fancy things like active crossovers for bi-amping.

3) Full HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 support, including 18Gbps on all inputs / outputs and HDR & Dolby Vision support.

4) Make the video board (ideally user) replaceable so that it would be possible to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when appropriate without having to replace the entire pre-pro.

Since you're posting here, @SteveH - assuming the sonics are the same as the current Datasat pre-pros, do you have any thoughts on this versus the new Marantz AV8005?

What I go with will be paired with 2 x AT6007 amps, 6 x Salon2's, Voice2, 2 x Seaton Submersive HP subwoofers, LG 77" G7 OLED, and Oppo UDP-203 & UDP-205 as the primary high quality sources.

I know it's probably a bit irrational, but I'm having trouble getting excited about the AV8005. The other main contender to replace my now ancient Denon AVP-A1HDCI is the Emotiva RMC-1 (if it ever ships).

And @Stereojeff thanks for all the help with obtaining the pair of ATI AT6007's and sorting out the minor list of initial issues with them. Once the issues were dealt with, I've been very pleased with them. Enjoy your retirement.
post #8 of 89 Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Also curious about this as it could be a nice companion for my ATI AT6007's.

Ideally, it would be a slightly tweaked Datasat LS10 with:

1) User can obtain the required items (calibrated mic and the Dirac software) to do their own Dirac calibration at a reasonable cost.

2) Make the 16 outputs channels assignable so that the user can do things like use 2 outputs per channel to bi-amp 7 main channels and configure a pair of subwoofer outputs. This would be perfect for those of us who don't have the option to install additional channels. Though it would be ideal, there's no need for fancy things like active crossovers for bi-amping.

3) Full HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 support, including 18Gbps on all inputs / outputs and HDR & Dolby Vision support.

4) Make the video board (ideally user) replaceable so that it would be possible to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when appropriate without having to replace the entire pre-pro.

Since you're posting here, @SteveH - assuming the sonics are the same as the current Datasat pre-pros, do you have any thoughts on this versus the new Marantz AV8005?

What I go with will be paired with 2 x AT6007 amps, 6 x Salon2's, Voice2, 2 x Seaton Submersive HP subwoofers, LG 77" G7 OLED, and Oppo UDP-203 & UDP-205 as the primary high quality sources.

I know it's probably a bit irrational, but I'm having trouble getting excited about the AV8005. The other main contender to replace my now ancient Denon AVP-A1HDCI is the Emotiva RMC-1 (if it ever ships).

And @Stereojeff thanks for all the help with obtaining the pair of ATI AT6007's and sorting out the minor list of initial issues with them. Once the issues were dealt with, I've been very pleased with them. Enjoy your retirement.
Going form memory, the ATI will be a Datasat with an extra channel and other updates. I would have to ask about the biamping option. Normally, that doesn't make the cut. Re: Dirac. I made it known that the only way I would sell it is if they enabled the end user to calibrate the Dirac. ATI support confirmed that would indeed be the case. Yes on the 2.0/2.2 support. If I heard him right, they will also include a single HDMI 1.4 input because 1.4 is now extremely stable. Meaning, if you had handshaking problems, then use the 1.4 input. In 2018, that's a smart move.

I must admit, I'm stoked to see all of the new prepro competition coming up the ranks. I ordered a bunch of Emotiva processor that I am preselling them. They will eventually ship.

As for how the 8805 is going to sound. TBD. It "should" sound better than the 8802A.
Mark Seaton, llang269 and Ron32 like this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #9 of 89 Old 02-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
This rear image-shot was posted here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ati...essor.2147154/

- Rich

Edit: I don't see Stereo balanced inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATIATP16c.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	2368336  

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2

Last edited by RichB; 03-01-2018 at 06:31 AM.
post #10 of 89 Old 03-07-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #11 of 89 Old 09-24-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bump. Was hoping to see something get announced around Cedia but I guess not to be.

post #12 of 89 Old 11-04-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Is this PrePro coming out soon ? Comes with Dirac Live correct ?
post #13 of 89 Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2268
Its so weird. ATI is usually pretty solid and to not have any follow-up on this is not like them. Maybe they sold the rights to roll this product out to Emotiva
post #14 of 89 Old 11-04-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lol. I was really hoping to see this in the wild by now.

post #15 of 89 Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Looks like this got scaled back and released for Monoprice.

Wondering if an ATI version is dead or still pending.

post #16 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
Looks like this got scaled back and released for Monoprice.

Wondering if an ATI version is dead or still pending.

I hope not... I've been holding off for the ATI version.

A 16 channel pre-pro with Dirac at a reasonable price checks off most of the boxes for a large part of the market I think. Monoprice should do well with this if it's execution/build is done well.
post #17 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I hope not... I've been holding off for the ATI version.

A 16 channel pre-pro with Dirac at a reasonable price checks off most of the boxes for a large part of the market I think. Monoprice should do well with this if it's execution/build is done well.
Maybe the ATI version can have some expansion bays to allow >16 channels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #18 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Maybe the ATI version can have some expansion bays to allow >16 channels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sure, I guess. But that's apt to add additional cost. IMHO 16 channels is probably the sweet spot for most home theaters. If you need or want more, I think you're more likely to be looking at Trinnov, DataSat, or StormAudio.
post #19 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Sure, I guess. But that's apt to add additional cost. IMHO 16 channels is probably the sweet spot for most home theaters. If you need or want more, I think you're more likely to be looking at Trinnov, DataSat, or StormAudio.
Given that ATI now owns Datasat and the ATP16 is a derivative of a Datasat product, it’s reasonable that ATI might offer an option that supports more channels if they feel the market is there. However, discussion in the Monoprice thread suggests that ATI has decided not to proceed with the ATP16, so they may have decided that the Monoprice distribution channel is a better way to sell the product.
RichB likes this.

Last edited by gsr; 01-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #20 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Given that ATI now owns Datasat and the ATP16 is a derivative of a Datasat product, it’s reasonable that ATI might offer an option Theater supports more channels if they feel the market is there. However, discussion in the Monoprice thread suggests that ATI has decided not to proceed with the ATP16, so they may have decided that the Monoprice distribution channel is a better way to sell the product.
Uh-huh, correct. And ATI also owns Theta Digital which offers the Casablanca IVa which is currently available with 12 channels, includes Dirac and has two open card slots on the back panel for additional expansion. So I imagine the Casablanca IVa could be pushed to 24 channels without too much work. The DataSat RS20i is already expandable to 24 channels. No new news here. ATI is somewhat flush with expandable up to 24 channel pre-pro's. Why offer a clone (same features) of what you're already making/selling at a lower price point that cannibalizes your higher end market product?

My point is/was simply that a lower cost unit at 16 channels, ATI branded, pushes a lot of buttons for a lot of home theaters.

Yea, Monoprice maybe the way to do it. Maybe they needed a partner to share the cost. I really don't know. I just know that it's taking some time to hit the market with a good quality 16 channel unit at a reasonable price that runs Dirac. Bryston has their 16 channel/Driac unit, the SP4 which is a clone of the StormAudio ISP 3D.16 ELITE and it's MSRP is $14,000.00. So something that comes in around $3,000 - $4,000 is kind of a breath of fresh air.

Nothing against Monoprice, but I'd rather have a piece of equipment sitting in my rack with an ATI logo on it vs. Monprice.
post #21 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 07:11 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Nothing against Monoprice, but I'd rather have a piece of equipment sitting in my rack with an ATI logo on it vs. Monprice.
As long as the quality is there and the feature set delivers, I don’t really care what logo is on the equipment. The equipment is behind a door; I’m looking at what shows up on my TV and listening to what comes out of the speakers.
post #22 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As long as the quality is there and the feature set delivers, I don’t really care what logo is on the equipment. The equipment is behind a door; I’m looking at what shows up on my TV and listening to what comes out of the speakers.
Yea, I sort of expected that retort. No doubt it's a somewhat snobbish attitude. I've used, off and on, Morris Kessler products since 1970. His products and after market service have always delivered for me and that kind of product/service is hard to ignore.

I do appreciate Monoprice's seeming commitment to offering quality product at lower prices and their push into higher end audio products is also welcomed at a time when so many good name brands of the past have been reduced to a mere shadow of what they used to be through consolidations and bankruptcies.

My concern is that Monoprice is not a manufacture, but just a re-branding retailer. A good many of Monoprice's products come and go and warranty support as well as long term service support for this type of product has yet to be established by them. Internet retail commerce is still somewhat fragile as far as store fronts go unless your name is Amazon. I can click on many broken links to businesses that I've bought from in the past.

So yea, the equipment is behind the door and the proof is in the pudding. I would just feel more comfortable buying the pudding from the maker in this case vs. the pudding stand re-seller on the corner.
noah katz likes this.
post #23 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
My concern is that Monoprice is not a manufacture, but just a re-branding retailer. A good many of Monoprice's products come and go and warranty support as well as long term service support for this type of product has yet to be established by them.

Perhaps service calls will be directed to ATI, though getting ATI product and service at Monoprices might be too good to be true.

Noah
post #24 of 89 Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I submitted a web inquiry via ATI.com on the status of the ATP16 when seeing the monoprice unit announced last week that certainly appears to be ATI built and similar to the Datasat LS10.

The response I received today is as follows;

Thank you for contacting us. About a year ago we displayed a prototype processor based on the Datasat LS10 (ATI owns Datasat).
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-goes-dirac
We are still finalizing details, so there isn't anything new to report since the above article. We are hoping to release it by CEDIA later this year.

Best,
Sanjay Durani
Amplifier Technologies Inc.
ATI-B&K-BGW-Datasat-Theta Digital

For whatever the above is worth.

post #25 of 89 Old 01-07-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I submitted a web inquiry via ATI.com on the status of the ATP16 when seeing the monoprice unit announced last week that certainly appears to be ATI built and similar to the Datasat LS10.

The response I received today is as follows;

Thank you for contacting us. About a year ago we displayed a prototype processor based on the Datasat LS10 (ATI owns Datasat).
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-goes-dirac
We are still finalizing details, so there isn't anything new to report since the above article. We are hoping to release it by CEDIA later this year.

Best,
Sanjay Durani
Amplifier Technologies Inc.
ATI-B&K-BGW-Datasat-Theta Digital

For whatever the above is worth.
I don't think that Sanjay fellow is a very reliable source
Mashie Saldana likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #26 of 89 Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
i don't think that sanjay fellow is a very reliable source :d
post #27 of 89 Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I'd like to see a balanced analog input in the Monoprice version. Is that in the cards?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #28 of 89 Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday I stopped by ATI's exhibit at CES and saw the revised ATP-16. As I recall it is scheduled for release in Q1. Morris told me it's powered by a new 1 GHz TI DSP chip that handles all the processing. Pricing to be announced.

ATI is also showing new monoblock amps rated at 500W RMS, 8 ohms. These are based on bridged Hypex NC-500 modules and are essentially one half of the AT542NC.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATP16 new for 2019.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	2508158  

Last edited by Stereojeff; 01-09-2019 at 06:38 AM.
post #29 of 89 Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is there an ATI distributor in Europe?
post #30 of 89 Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Yesterday I stopped by ATI's exhibit at CES and saw the revised ATP-16. As I recall it is scheduled for release in Q1. Morris told me it's powered by a new 1 GHz TI DSP chip that handles all the processing. Pricing to be announced.

ATI is also showing new monoblock amps rated at 500W RMS, 8 ohms. These are based on bridged Hypex NC-500 modules and are essentially one half of the AT542NC.

Jeff
Now we're talking... Any chance of a picture of the back side of the ATP-16?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page