Help me decide: Denon X3400H vs Sony STR-DN1080 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ptlinva
  • 2 Post By akmandal
  • 1 Post By Renron

post #1 of 17 Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Help me decide: Denon X3400H vs Sony STR-DN1080

I've researched both models as much as I could, aware of both models' pros and cons.

I'm still at a crossroads between them, please help me decide which one to get. You can see my existing setup in my sig.

They both do what I want and need, it's just a question of reliability, and sound quality now. And also Audyssey vs EX DCAC.

Thanks

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Denon 3400H. Audyssey XT32 is easily a better form of room correction.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that's an obvious. What about their pure sound, without room correction, I like sound that is well defined on the low end and punchy, rather than just "Big".

I liked What Hi-Fi's review on the 3400 compared to the STR-DN1080:

Quote:
As an example, we put the X3400H side-by-side with the Sony STR-DN1080, our 2017 Product of the Year, and run through a number of our favourite test discs.

The Sony is stunningly agile, insightful and, in terms of overall dynamics, reveals marginally more emotion in each performance. But it lacks the power, the drive and the warmly convincing balance offered by the Denon’s low-end that, for many, will render the latter more listenable over prolonged periods.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x...HyWDrZH2ukI.99

That last line sold me, sounds like what I'm looking for, however, I don't think I can compare their review with my room, and my system... Overall it comes down to which one has the better sound and durability?

Home Theater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do not even think, of course, Sony
post #5 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Is it possible to try both of them in your area? That's the only way to really tell which fits your space and budget for this new toy.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Is it possible to try both of them in your area? That's the only way to really tell which fits your space and budget for this new toy.
Actually I'm going to go listen to the Sony today at a friend's house, but he only has a set of satellite speakers (Cabasse Eole 3), and tomorrow I'll listen to the Denon on a full blown system in a store, so I'm not sure if the comparison will stick. But I guess I'll get an idea on both.

Sadly no option to try the Sony in my apartment as they are not sold in my country, have to get it from Amazon, maybe the Denon...

Home Theater

post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Talking Denon - All the way!

I love my Sony and Samsung TVs. However, I wouldn't give up my Denon receiver for anything. I now have 13 speakers setup up in an ATMOS configuration - with four on the ceiling. It sounds unbelievable. Since your receiver is the heart of everything, put most of your budget towards it. That way you can always grow and add additional speakers later. However, if you limit yourself on the receiver, you'll always wished you got the next one up.

For example, you can get all 11 channels and 2 subs with the 6300 but I only have the 4300 setup with an extra receiver (older Denon) pumping five of the channels (F, R, C, SR, SL, RL, RR). My philosophy is that the 4300 runs cooler not driving those channels. Kids in the family love playing the Xbox but some of them can't see well and don't have glasses. I have to have them sit closer to the TV out of the nice bubble zone you desperately try and achieve. Then, I lower the volume of the 2nd receiver and turn up my Denon which allows the surrounds and all the extra effects to be clearly heard towards the front of the room. Watching them react while playing WWII or Halo with this speaker arrangement is incredible. It's also stunning with movies and music as well.

To be honest, when I first setup everything for movies, I wasn't as happy with quality of the way music sounded. I then learned a few tricks with my subs from videos on youtube and now my music sounds BETTER than EVER!

In regards to the quality of the sound in general... literally, it catches me off guard sometimes as it sounds like a real person talking right next to you. You can't beat Denon quality! Well, maybe you can... but I'm real happy with my system.

I should mention that I went with all Klipsch speakers - some new, but quite a few off of Craigslist in order to stay within budget. I've learned a few things and wish I hadn't bought a few of the speakers but they were older ones that are collecting upstairs for the next system now that my man cave is done.

Good Luck brother! I'm sure you'll have plenty of moments where it's frustrating getting it right for you. However, once you've spent enough hours fine-tuning it where you could have gotten a college degree, you'll have a grin ear-to-ear that no one can take away.

Your friend in Virginia,
Paul L.
Zach_N85 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlinva View Post
I love my Sony and Samsung TVs. However, I wouldn't give up my Denon receiver for anything. I now have 13 speakers setup up in an ATMOS configuration - with four on the ceiling. It sounds unbelievable. Since your receiver is the heart of everything, put most of your budget towards it. That way you can always grow and add additional speakers later. However, if you limit yourself on the receiver, you'll always wished you got the next one up.

For example, you can get all 11 channels and 2 subs with the 6300 but I only have the 4300 setup with an extra receiver (older Denon) pumping five of the channels (F, R, C, SR, SL, RL, RR). My philosophy is that the 4300 runs cooler not driving those channels. Kids in the family love playing the Xbox but some of them can't see well and don't have glasses. I have to have them sit closer to the TV out of the nice bubble zone you desperately try and achieve. Then, I lower the volume of the 2nd receiver and turn up my Denon which allows the surrounds and all the extra effects to be clearly heard towards the front of the room. Watching them react while playing WWII or Halo with this speaker arrangement is incredible. It's also stunning with movies and music as well.

To be honest, when I first setup everything for movies, I wasn't as happy with quality of the way music sounded. I then learned a few tricks with my subs from videos on youtube and now my music sounds BETTER than EVER!

In regards to the quality of the sound in general... literally, it catches me off guard sometimes as it sounds like a real person talking right next to you. You can't beat Denon quality! Well, maybe you can... but I'm real happy with my system.

I should mention that I went with all Klipsch speakers - some new, but quite a few off of Craigslist in order to stay within budget. I've learned a few things and wish I hadn't bought a few of the speakers but they were older ones that are collecting upstairs for the next system now that my man cave is done.

Good Luck brother! I'm sure you'll have plenty of moments where it's frustrating getting it right for you. However, once you've spent enough hours fine-tuning it where you could have gotten a college degree, you'll have a grin ear-to-ear that no one can take away.

Your friend in Virginia,
Paul L.
Appreciate your great reply Paul, you're a kind person

I think I'm gonna go Denon eventually. Will update shortly.

Cheers, Zach

Home Theater

post #9 of 17 Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Appreciate your great reply Paul, you're a kind person

I think I'm gonna go Denon eventually. Will update shortly.

Cheers, Zach
Frankly, only Yamaha sometimes surpasses the Denon receivers of the same level in sound quality. I'd do the Denon over the Sony anyday.
Zach_N85 and Knucklehead90 like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I also picked the x3400 over the Sony 1080, but for different reasons

I'm sure the OP has made his purchase by now, but in the interest of contributing to the knowledge base I'm going to share my experience with having had both of these receivers set up in my home within the past week. I ended up choosing the 3400, but for none of the reasons others mentioned.

First, in terms of sound quality the Sony gives up surprisingly little to the Denon, especially for HT. The difference in sound is minimal. I'd give the Denon the nod, but only barely, they both sound great. In fact, I was able to get the Sony sound to my liking faster than I could with the Denon and with less tweaking. If they were the same price and this was your only consideration, I'd pick the Denon, but the difference in audio quality does not seem worth the difference in retail price if that's what you're paying.

Second, I think the DCAC vs Audyssey is also overblown. Both got the distance to my speakers pretty close, and both had some quirks. DCAC labeled my front speakers "large" and therefore had no crossover (I manually switched them to "small" and 80hz crossover); Audyssey set my crossover to 40hz and set my sub to -12db (I manually upped crossover to 80hz and boosted the sub by 6db ... for now ... I may add more). After those and several other recommended tweaks both were sounding great. I preferred Audyssey, but again, the end result is so similar that it also doesn't seem worth the difference in price (in my opinion, having just worked with both).

Both got warm. The Sony got a little warmer, but neither seemed "too hot."

The deciding factor for me was the clunkiness of the Sony's interface and use. Several options had noticeable lag to them. When I turned on the Sony I stared at a "no input" screen for 10 seconds. Worse, the Sony would then revert me to the home screen where I had to select the activity, then another screen to select the source, then finally I could watch TV. There's a 40 page thread on it here with various "workarounds." In the end, the inability to simply push a button and watch TV was the dealbreaker for me. Because of other less tech savvy people in my house also using this system the multiple remote, multiple button push thing was not an option. I didn't want to buy a mid priced receiver and have to "work around" inherent shortcomings.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 122

The 3400 is a better receiver overall, but as an owner of a Sony 1080 myself, it produces fantastic sound in my setup. I directly compared it to my Anthem MRX and the Sony came out ahead in terms of dynamics and high end; the Anthem was better down low and in the mids. I also recently compared it to an Onkyo RZ720 and the Sony came out on top. I never touched Sony receivers for years, but I wouldn’t discount the 1080 using Sony’s newer DCAC EX. The downside is if you don’t like what The Sony EQ produces, you’re stuck whereas with Audyssey, you can tweak it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projector: LG PF1500W; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Roomie Remote; Cables: Monoprice

Last edited by rnatalli; 04-23-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sound wise it depends on your speakers. Metal tweeters sound better on "Warm" amps like the Denon.
Silk or soft domes sound better on a Sony type.
Kevog likes this.

"New Member" since 2007....
post #13 of 17 Old 08-16-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I noticed people here generally leaned towards the Denon in this comparison

Do you think this would also apply to the Denon 2400 (this thread referenced the 3400). Thanks!
post #14 of 17 Old 12-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
600 watt power supply on Denon versus 240 watt on Sony. More important than an amplifier power rating is I think a power supply power rating. Denon also has analog pre-outs.

You may want to check this link for their comparison:
https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/Denon-AVR-X3400H/U.S.A./Sony-STR-DN1080/U.S.A.-and-Canada/
post #15 of 17 Old 07-12-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 1074

Delete

Last edited by sd13; 07-13-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I've owned receivers from both makers and models similar to the ones you are trying to decide on. Currently I own a Yamaha 3070 with outboard amps. For pure sound quality, go with the Sony 1080 in this case. Denon is the most popular on this forum ONLY BECAUSE OF AUDESSEY. If Denon didn't have Audessey, many would marginalize it like they do Sony, and most wouldn't give it a second look. When you hear people recommend Denon, the first thing they mention (and sometimes only thing) is Audessey. A receiver/amp/processor should sound great in its' purest form without having to alter the sound with heavy-handed digital room correction. In a challenging environment, room correction like Audessey, YPAO and the like has its' place to a certain degree, but I'd rather leave room correction OFF and make physical treatments to correct a room.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #17 of 17 Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I just picked up this receiver for my 3.1 system and I have questions regarding calibration. When I run the auto calibration, its picking up my center channel as being 27 feet away, when its actually only about 9 feet away. The left, right and sub are somewhat accurate (about 1-2 feet over the actual distance). Should I manually adjust the distances to the actual measured distance?
There are two receivers discussed in this thread. Calibration discussion should be addressed in the specific model's Owner's thread in which you purchased.

Denon X3400H --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html

Sony STR-DN1080 --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...n1080-avr.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page