Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Equalizer Recommendations

I would like to pick up an equalizer for listening to CD/High Rez music. Looking for dual channel equalization also. Any and all recommendations appreciated. I have looked at some but the best I've seen are Pro models, some for nice prices but I'm not sure if that will be overkill for my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I see a lot of people recommending the MiniDSP in the 2 channel forum, the 2x4 can be had for ~$100, 200 with a measurement mic and software.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
I see a lot of people recommending the MiniDSP in the 2 channel forum, the 2x4 can be had for ~$100, 200 with a measurement mic and software.
Is there an equivalent to the MiniDSP that is totally digital -- ie a digital in and a digital out? I ask because I already have Sony soundbar and a Sony 49x900e tv.

Because the soundbar does not have an adjustable internal equalizer (beyond a separate, limited volume control for the subwoofer), and the tv does not IMO have an adequate internal equalizer, I'd like to connect the tv's optical output to the input of a small digital equalizer (that can be at least initially programmed by a PC), and then output the processed digital signal via optical out to the soundbar's optical input.

Thanks for any suggestions.

(PS I know the TV's output is somehow lacking because when the input to the TV is a Win 10x64 HTPC that has an equalizer program, the optical output from the TV to the soundbar makes the sounbar sound fantastic. When I use the internal TV apps and play a BD on an standalone bd player, however, the soundbar sounds pathetic. The internal Sony TV's equalizer is apparently woefully inadequate.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
When I use the internal TV apps and play a BD on an standalone bd player, however, the soundbar sounds pathetic.
Why are you doing this?
You have the BDP connected to the TV? Why isn't it connected to the HTPC (or get an internal drive for the pc)?
Michael
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Why are you doing this?
You have the BDP connected to the TV? Why isn't it connected to the HTPC (or get an internal drive for the pc)?
Michael
AFAIK, our PC does not have an HDMI input. There is no add-on card that has an HDMI input. Please tell me about the options. For example, I see that there are small HDMI to USB 3 converters which could route the BD player's output into one of the USB 3 ports on the back of the PC, but they're too expensive for my liking.

The PC case does not have an optical drive bay, but I could indeed get an external enclosure for our other PC's UHD "friendly" internal drive. I'd remove the internal LG drive and put it in the enclosure for the newest PC. But this would not solve the audio inadequacies when playing the TV's internal Netflix, Youtube, etc. apps.

I'm just trying to understand the options. A small, strictly-digital, programmable processor box with just one optical in and one optical out would be the cat's meow, IMO.

Thanks.

Last edited by Herve; 02-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
There are miniDSP units that have only digital IO.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
AFAIK, our PC does not have an HDMI input. There is no add-on card that has an HDMI input. Please tell me about the options.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA7252YH2477
I don't have this particular item, but it looks like it fits the bill.
Personally, I use CyberLink's PowerDVD, AnyDVDHD, and an internal burner, but, if you're just interested in playback, the above item should be fine.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page