The *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2ch Flagship AVR Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4214Likes

post #2971 of 4595 Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
And videos too! I don't know how many hours I lose when I sit down to watch a YouTube video for a legitimate learning reason and the next thing I know 4-5 hours have gone by...
Worse is later when you realize you never watched the video you went to YouTube for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4595 Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
But I connect the FW L/R to the Front L/R (parallel), then there is no FW any more.
The FW will receive the same signal as the Front speakers, as there is no FW...…
You are creating a Front R & Front L channel array. It will give you more coverage. Commercial theatres use speaker arrays to cover more rows of seats.

I believe that boutique processors will allow you to create speaker arrays.

Personally I am beginning to enjoy more and more how Neural X spreads the music in sound tracks across the front to the Fwides and of course with native ATMOS tracks the FWs are used to create objects.

You should compare the 2 setups then decide what is best for you.
CBdicX likes this.
post #2973 of 4595 Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Hi all,

I just got the x8500h (replacing pioneer elite SC-LX901 .. which replaced the AVR-X7200WA.. which replaced sc-99...)

Have others bumped into issues where non-HDR video is dimming? I'm not sure when it is kicks in.. everything seems fine.. then.. wait? when did everything get so dark? This wasn't a problem with pioneer nor an issue when the TiVo, xbox x, pc, etc is directly connected to the TV.

I don't want the AVR to do anything to the video. If an upconvert is needed the TV can do it. (it is my understanding the alpha 9 in the LG OLEDs will do better than the chip in this AVR. Is that correct? That said, almost everything is feeding the AVR @ 4k.)
I did shut off the i/p scaler on the AVR and picture mode is off. Video mode is auto (because i don't want game or movie.. both are bad options. I want it to do nothing! ) video conversion is off. HDMI video output is (auto)dual. 4k Signal Format is Enhanced.

Suggestions? It is very odd. The picture seems to slowly dim. So much so that i don't notice it till i look away and then look back. "what? when did it get so dark"

I spend a TON of time on calibration the TV. So in general i don't want the AVR to help, and not helping it dim. It isn't a problem with the TV (unless the AVR is telling the TV something new.) The TV is a LG c8 77" which I've had for like 6 months.

Suggestions? (the wife is yelling at me!)

Thanks
(was the $4k worth it for this AVR? is this any better than any of the AVRs I've had? I can't tell the diff other than it gets real hot.)

TV: LG OLED77C8PUA, LG OLED65E7P | Receiver Denon X8500H | 5.1.2 with PSB speakers
HTPC: i9-7900X @ 4.7ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, Tivo Bolt+, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, Switch, Fire TV 4k
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by zielin; 11-14-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 4595 Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielin View Post
Hi all,

I just got the x8500h (replacing pioneer elite SC-LX901 .. which replaced the AVR-X7200WA.. which replaced sc-99...)

Have others bumped into issues where non-HDR video is dimming? I'm not sure when it is kicks in.. everything seems fine.. then.. wait? when did everything get so dark? This wasn't a problem with pioneer nor an issue when the TiVo, xbox x, pc, etc is directly connected to the TV.

I don't want the AVR to do anything to the video. If an upconvert is needed the TV can do it. (it is my understanding the alpha 9 in the LG OLEDs will do better than the chip in this AVR. Is that correct? That said, almost everything is feeding the AVR @ 4k.)

I did shut off the i/p scaler on the AVR and picture mode is off. Video mode is auto (because i don't want game or movie.. both are bad options. I want it to do nothing! ) video conversion is off. HDMI video output is (auto)dual. 4k Signal Format is Enhanced.

Suggestions? It is very odd. The picture seems to slowly dim. So much so that i don't notice it till i look away and then look back. "what? when did it get so dark"

I spend a TON of time on calibration the TV. So in general i don't want the AVR to help, and not helping it dim. It isn't a problem with the TV (unless the AVR is telling the TV something new.) The TV is a LG c8 77" which I've had for like 6 months.

Thanks

(was the $4k worth it for this AVR? is this any better than any of the AVRs I've had? I can't tell the diff other than it gets real hot.)

If you want 9.2.4 or 7.2.6 Atmos then it’s a solution for you. It was for me.
Cost/price is relative to your money value system.
Real hot, relative to what as you baseline reference temp?

I’ve not seen the non HDR dimming, mines in basement HT with a RS400 projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2975 of 4595 Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22197 Post(s)
Liked: 12056
Quote:
I can't tell the diff other than it gets real hot.)
This generally means the unit is poorly ventilated with insufficient open space around it (ie. needs at least 3-4" above with open front/back).
post #2976 of 4595 Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Thanks

Heat "problem" solved...……...

Not better then any other +9 channel receiver, just has more options and the first that can do without outside amp help for any 7.x.6 setup, and it will do Auro 3D with Surround Back if that's of interest.
I did a trade in with a SR7013 so got it far below retail price but would do a hard think if i needit to pay full price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4657.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2482962  

Last edited by CBdicX; 11-15-2018 at 02:34 AM.
post #2977 of 4595 Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6736 Post(s)
Liked: 7869
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Something sure doesn't sound right. I also replaced an X7200 with my X8500. I see no dimming on non HDR content, and I've watched a few movies since I got mine. Also, if it's getting hot, you either need to get some thermostat activated cooling fans ( available on Ebay and many other places ), or something is wrong with that unit. I have cranked quite a few movies to 80 and even a bit more with 13 Martin Logan 4 ohm Motion Series speakers and mine seems to be putting out less heat than my previous X7200.

Check your setup to make sure that video processing is off. Although slowly dimming sounds odd.
post #2978 of 4595 Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Don't stress on the hotness. Coming from a Pioneer AVR (which are class D) … everything is hotter vs that.

the darker picture is the problem

TV: LG OLED77C8PUA, LG OLED65E7P | Receiver Denon X8500H | 5.1.2 with PSB speakers
HTPC: i9-7900X @ 4.7ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, Tivo Bolt+, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, Switch, Fire TV 4k
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by zielin; 11-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.
post #2979 of 4595 Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I figure if the case isn't too hot to hold my hand on top of it, it's not too hot (my 7012 has about 3.5 inches above and loads of space on the sides/back/front) in an open style rack. My CPU on my Mac Mini idles at 116 degrees F. It's dumping at 4K disc right now while I surf and it's at 132F. Maxed out with fans on high it's close to 200 degrees. That's HOT, but well within specs. It's been running almost 24/7 for the past 6.5 years with zero issues. In other words, electronics aren't humans. They're designed to run hotter than we'd like to touch (i.e. my 1st Gen AppleTVs were VERY hot to the touch, almost too hot at max and too hot to keep your hand there for long and they still work ten years later (retired now in favor of other boxes).

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-21-19)
post #2980 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Since the same question is posted in multiple threads here is my answer from the SR8012 thread. It doesn't seem a good idea ask the same question in multiple threads; that aside.

Quote:

One item to consider is if you will believe you'll want to use external amplifiers during the life of the product. The SR8012 will be a better choice to drive external amplifiers since it has much more robust RCA outputs due to having buffers on the outputs of the volume control(HDAM's).

Another obvious option is the Denon X6500H (or X6400H). It is very similar to the SR8012, with many identical components, but lacks the HDAM buffers and likely has a somewhat less robust power supply.

The three AVR's; the X6500H, SR8012 and X4500H, are the three obvious candidates to consider in the upper end of Denon/Marantz AVR's. The three units share components, especially power amplifier modules, but have key and important differences in features and capabilities, with price being the complicating factor. Any of the three can be the best fit for a given set of requirements, none are bad or even average choices, unless you need all the channels that the X8500H provides. Owners of each of the units seem to be happy with their purchases.

--------------

Additional emphasis:

Having buffers on the volume control outputs, and thus the RCA outputs, is an important feature if the owner of the AVR will be using external amplifiers from the AVR.
I have never heard of buffers on the volume control outputs as being a benefit for using external amplifiers. Can you explain? I use a Kondo amp for the main L/R channels.
I selected the Denon8500H not because I needed 13 channels - I actually only run 6 channels! I chose it because of the quality of the DACs and the power supply — these have a big influence on sound quality.

* 1930s cinema RCA 1443 field coil midrange horns, Supravox EXC 12” field coil upper bass, Fostex T500a super tweeter * active transmission line sub *Klipsch in wall (4x) Music: * Kondo Japan 2 channel: M77, Souga, SMC V12 w/Kondo wiring * Denon AVR X8500H * Sony 995ES 4K laser * Stewart GrayHawk RS G4 * Oppo BDP 203 UHD * PS Audio DSD DAC, P5 AC regenerator * Apple TV * Stillpoints Cloud & Aperture panels * custom diffusers/bass traps
post #2981 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6518 Post(s)
Liked: 6492
Quote:

Thanks
Mine is fully vented, she does get hot....... AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 are pretty sweet cooler <<< Click Here >>>
fookoo_2010 and Matt2026 like this.
post #2982 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Since the same question is posted in multiple threads here is my answer from the SR8012 thread. It doesn't seem a good idea ask the same question in multiple threads; that aside.

Quote:

One item to consider is if you will believe you'll want to use external amplifiers during the life of the product. The SR8012 will be a better choice to drive external amplifiers since it has much more robust RCA outputs due to having buffers on the outputs of the volume control(HDAM's).

Another obvious option is the Denon X6500H (or X6400H). It is very similar to the SR8012, with many identical components, but lacks the HDAM buffers and likely has a somewhat less robust power supply.

The three AVR's; the X6500H, SR8012 and X4500H, are the three obvious candidates to consider in the upper end of Denon/Marantz AVR's. The three units share components, especially power amplifier modules, but have key and important differences in features and capabilities, with price being the complicating factor. Any of the three can be the best fit for a given set of requirements, none are bad or even average choices, unless you need all the channels that the X8500H provides. Owners of each of the units seem to be happy with their purchases.

--------------

Additional emphasis:

Having buffers on the volume control outputs, and thus the RCA outputs, is an important feature if the owner of the AVR will be using external amplifiers from the AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge2018 View Post
I have never heard of buffers on the volume control outputs as being a benefit for using external amplifiers. Can you explain? I use a Kondo amp for the main L/R channels.
I selected the Denon8500H not because I needed 13 channels - I actually only run 6 channels! I chose it because of the quality of the DACs and the power supply — these have a big influence on sound quality.

Output buffers are common on higher end consumer equipment and pro equipment. Buffers are rarely mentioned in advertisements or specifications, they are a boring technical detail and not easy to explain. Marantz HDAM's are a notable exception and are well publicized. The buffers serve two purposes: providing an appropriately low output impedance (often 50 ohms RCA, 100 ohms XLR, in pro equipment, higher in consumer equipment for a variety of reasons), and the ability to drive lower impedance loads, that is the buffers have more current capacity, which makes them better voltage sources. IC opamps are the most common.

Yamaha uses output buffers in the preamp outputs in their CX-5X00 series AVP's and RX-AX0X0 series AVR's. These buffers are implemented with IC opamps vs. the discrete HDAM buffers. HDAM's are effectively used to implement opamps with current feedback instead of the more typical voltage feedback.

That said, you are using a tube external power amplifier that has a very high input impedance. The specifications for the Kondo amplifiers list input impedances of 70k to 100k ohms. It is very easy for about any RCA output to drive this high impedance, so you are good to go. For an example of much lower RCA input impedances see below.

While this doesn't relate your installation, there is another side to the high impedances generally encountered with tube equipment. Again looking at Konda equipment, the Konda preamplifiers are rated to drive loads, that is the RCA inputs of power amplifiers, where the power amplifier has an input impedance of 20k ohms or more.

Looking at these measurements of an Emotiva XPA Gen3 power amplifier from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

The RCA input impendence was measured at between 14.5k ohms and 9.5k ohms depending on frequency. This means a Konda preamplifier, that wants to "see" a minimum of 20k ohms, driving the Emotiva power amplifier is not a good combination. Clearly the Konda preamplifier is designed to drive the 75k to 100k ohm input impedance of a Konda power amplifier.

An IC opamp output buffer (committing the sin of using transistors) could be added to the Konda preamplifier and the output impedance lowered to say 50 ohms. Somehow it seems unlikely that will happen. Alternatively Emotiva could increase the RCA input impedance of the XPA Gen3 to a more typical 30k to 50k ohms.
Surge2018 likes this.

Last edited by bigguyca; 11-16-2018 at 09:34 AM.
post #2983 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Very interesting, thank you @bigguyca !

Would be good to know how the DACs compare between the top end Marantz and the Denon 8500.

* 1930s cinema RCA 1443 field coil midrange horns, Supravox EXC 12” field coil upper bass, Fostex T500a super tweeter * active transmission line sub *Klipsch in wall (4x) Music: * Kondo Japan 2 channel: M77, Souga, SMC V12 w/Kondo wiring * Denon AVR X8500H * Sony 995ES 4K laser * Stewart GrayHawk RS G4 * Oppo BDP 203 UHD * PS Audio DSD DAC, P5 AC regenerator * Apple TV * Stillpoints Cloud & Aperture panels * custom diffusers/bass traps
post #2984 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Would be good to know how the DACs compare between the top end Marantz and the Denon 8500.
There's this extremely liquid yet slightly sweet soundstage with the Marantz compared to the sticky toffee sounding Denon 8500.....

(I don't believe any modern properly designed DAC imparts a noticeable sound difference due to the tiny differences involved compared to things like speakers or the room. YMMV)

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-21-19)
post #2985 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:

The "flagship" models (ie. Denon AVR X8500H and Marantz AV8805) use the same DAC: AK4490EQ, while all of the other 2017 and 2018 Denon and Marantz models use the AK4458VN.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-16-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #2986 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
(I don't believe any modern properly designed DAC imparts a noticeable sound difference due to the tiny differences involved compared to things like speakers or the room. YMMV)
The differences are not small. I can readily hear differences between firmware updates on my PS Audio Directstream DAC. But that costs about 50% more than the 8500H...
(Unfortunately, everything makes a difference in this hobby!)

post #2987 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Bickering posts removed. You can disagree with someone without attacking the individual.
post #2988 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Mine is fully vented, she does get hot....... AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 are pretty sweet cooler <<< Click Here >>>
I do find a BIG differents in heat when Eco is On or OFF.
I have it ON / Auto and this makes a very big differents in heat, with Eco ON its hand warm, with Eco OFF i can bake an egg on it...….
post #2989 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The "flagship" models (ie. Denon AVR X8500H and Marantz AV8805) use the same DAC: AK4490EQ, while all of the other 2017 and 2018 Denon and Marantz models use the AK4458VN.
I think the 7200WA also uses the 4490? I guess technically a 2016 model.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #2990 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
I do find a BIG differents in heat when Eco is On or OFF.
I have it ON / Auto and this makes a very big differents in heat, with Eco ON its hand warm, with Eco OFF i can bake an egg on it...….
You should consider picking up an AC Infinity unit, that cools my 8500H so that it isn't even warm to the touch.
sdurani and brazensol like this.
post #2991 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm having issues getting my tv apps to play through my avr. I want to play pandora and spotify from my tv apps. For some reason it's not sending any audio signal back to avr. I can get the cable/sat box to work through avr, but not tv audio.
I have my cable/sat box connected to cable/sat hdmi out. Tv connected to 4k out hdmi. Pc monitor to zone2 hdmi. Is there a setup or button I'm missing?
post #2992 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I think the 7200WA also uses the 4490? I guess technically a 2016 model.

Technically a 2015 model, but yes, same DAC also on the predecessor "flagship" models as well.
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #2993 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

Quote:

The question above is frequently asked. The answers given are correct.

Questions for @Surge2018 :

Is this what you wanted to know?

What specifically did you learn from the answer, which purely lists DAC model #'s, as regards evaluating Denon and Marantz products, and how they will actually perform?

Adding on to this post:

For anyone here:

What do you learn purely from the model number of the DAC IC's?

What do you do with this information?
nerdkiller likes this.

Last edited by bigguyca; 11-16-2018 at 10:11 PM.
post #2994 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
You should consider picking up an AC Infinity unit, that cools my 8500H so that it isn't even warm to the touch.
………...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4657.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2483948  
post #2995 of 4595 Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stro3579 View Post
I'm having issues getting my tv apps to play through my avr. I want to play pandora and spotify from my tv apps. For some reason it's not sending any audio signal back to avr. I can get the cable/sat box to work through avr, but not tv audio.
I have my cable/sat box connected to cable/sat hdmi out. Tv connected to 4k out hdmi. Pc monitor to zone2 hdmi. Is there a setup or button I'm missing?

Did you hide the input source for tv audio? I spent a couple of hours figuring this out thinking my 8500 was broken..

Denon X8500H -> DDRC-88BM -> NAD M27, QE65FNAT, Arendal - Tower, Center, Surroundx4, 4x XTZ S2, 2x PB16-U, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Scorpio/PS4 Pro/Switch
post #2996 of 4595 Old 11-17-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffus2 View Post
Quote:

Did you hide the input source for tv audio? I spent a couple of hours figuring this out thinking my 8500 was broken..
No, it's still on the tv (q9fn) I'm just not getting any sound through avr. Should it be on Tv/audio on avr. If so nothing comes out.
post #2997 of 4595 Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
No, it's still on the tv (q9fn) I'm just not getting any sound through avr. Should it be on Tv/audio on avr. If so nothing comes out.
Yes, to get sound from the TV into the receiver you must select the "TV/Audio" input in the receiver, but that's just one of several settings which must be configured correctly.

ARC can be problematic. Many people use a digital optical connection instead.

Some things to verify:

Make sure that the receiver's HDMI connector Monitor1/ARC is cabled to the TV's HDMI connector which is labelled "ARC". This usually is not the TV's HDMI1 connector. (See page 83 in the AVR-X8500H's owner's manual.)

Make sure that HDMI cable is "Certified Premium". Some cables labeled "High Speed" might work, but many are unreliable for 4K video and audio. "Certified Premium" cables cost no more than High Speed cables.

Make sure both CEC and ARC are enabled in the TV. Samsung calls CEC "Anynet+".

Make sure ARC is enabled in the receiver. CEC and "TV Audio Switching" are not necessary in the receiver, but might be appropriate depending on how you use your system. (See pages 198 and 199.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #2998 of 4595 Old 11-17-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Yes, to get sound from the TV into the receiver you must select the "TV/Audio" input in the receiver, but that's just one of several settings which must be configured correctly.

ARC can be problematic. Many people use a digital optical connection instead.

Some things to verify:

Make sure that the receiver's HDMI connector Monitor1/ARC is cabled to the TV's HDMI connector which is labelled "ARC". This usually is not the TV's HDMI1 connector. (See page 83 in the AVR-X8500H's owner's manual.)

Make sure that HDMI cable is "Certified Premium". Some cables labeled "High Speed" might work, but many are unreliable for 4K video and audio. "Certified Premium" cables cost no more than High Speed cables.

Make sure both CEC and ARC are enabled in the TV. Samsung calls CEC "Anynet+".

Make sure ARC is enabled in the receiver. CEC and "TV Audio Switching" are not necessary in the receiver, but might be appropriate depending on how you use your system. (See pages 198 and 199.)
All of this is already set this way. I am not sure if the ARC is setup in the receiver though. I will double check.
post #2999 of 4595 Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

What specifically did you learn from the answer, which purely lists DAC model #'s, as regards evaluating Denon and Marantz products, and how they will actually perform?

Adding on to this post:

For anyone here:

I don’t like to change gear often. I kept my last receiver for 11 years, and plan to keep the 8500 for at least the same amount of time.
DAC technology changes quickly, however. And despite what some think, you can hear differences among DACs. Much like buying a PC that you intend to keep for 3+ years, I wanted to buy the best and latest DAC tech. That’s why I was asking.

post #3000 of 4595 Old 11-17-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:

Adding on to this post:

For anyone here:

My interest is in the DACs and how they are configured, for example the 8805 I believe uses 8 of them in stereo mode. There's another flagship in the same price range (the Emotiva rmc-1) using the 4490s in differential mode, i.e. one 4490 per channel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page