The *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2ch Flagship AVR Thread - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4298Likes

post #4441 of 4715 Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22424 Post(s)
Liked: 12200
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
I mean can you do that on the unit itself or you just have to choose the 5gHz. I already chose 5gHz but each time I entered the password, it keeps saying something like wrong password. I check that password by connecting other devices and its working but not on 8500
You may need to use a router extender closer to the AVR to present a stronger signal to the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4715 Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You may need to use a router extender closer to the AVR to present a stronger signal to the AVR.
Hi JD,
Yes I did. Right beside it but still won't accept password as correct. I have decided to return it. Might get the 8805, XMC-2 or HTP-1 next time.

Thank you,
Danny

X8500H | BDP-93 | PB-12 | Veritas V-6.3 | Sierra Tower/Horizon RAAL
post #4443 of 4715 Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894

If you follow it to the 1:07 mark, the Denon man actually suggests running his base layer speakers in full or large..
Then get the bass to LFE + mains..
The man suggests that this gives the surround sound more immersion and a more full body sound. However the caveat is that your mains need to be able to handle the bass

Interesting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4444 of 4715 Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6581 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstallion View Post
kee68, You are absolutely right the Onkyo is only few pounds heavier. I guess the fact that the Onkyo's weight is all in the front as opposed to the 8500 who's weight is much more evenly distributed made if feel that much heavier. I'm assuming it's due to the toroidal transformer. Maybe that also has something to do with the heavier gauge power cord?

I do plan on having an electrician out to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit but that's a couple weeks out still. Will using the standard outlet in the meantime cause any issues?
If its a easy run and very cheap, why not add the circuit, however the odds of you needing a dedicated circuit are slim to none. If you where running mono blocks and jamming to 2 channel all the time it would probably be a good idea, but for standard use situations most setups would be good to go.
post #4445 of 4715 Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstallion View Post
kee68, You are absolutely right the Onkyo is only few pounds heavier. I guess the fact that the Onkyo's weight is all in the front as opposed to the 8500 who's weight is much more evenly distributed made if feel that much heavier. I'm assuming it's due to the toroidal transformer. Maybe that also has something to do with the heavier gauge power cord?

I do plan on having an electrician out to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit but that's a couple weeks out still. Will using the standard outlet in the meantime cause any issues?

A good idea.

Residential electrical service is very robust, a large load can be connected to one circuit before the breaker is tripped. Electrical wiring standards are developed first with safety in mind, and then acceptable performance. These standards are not designed with high-performance audio/video applications in mind.

A few added thoughts:

Running two 20 amp circuits might not cost much more than one. Four outlets in one place, two for each circuit would be nice. There are advantages to using the larger wire, #12 , that is used with 20 amp circuits. Separate circuits can provide small, added benefits. #10 wire for 20 amp circuits that support audio/video is yet another step, but such wire will cost more and will be harder to install in existing spaces.

If the electrician will be working in your service entrance panel to add the circuit(s), then if you don't already have a whole house surge protector, you might consider one. Both Eaton and Square D, offer 240 V combination breakers/surge protectors for installation in the panel. These devices continue to provide the 30 amp or 50 amp protection for the 240V circuit, say an A/C unit or oven, and also provide a first line of protection against surges. These surge protectors are less than $100, plus installation, which should be less than a 10 minute job with the power off and panel already open. The whole house surge protectors protect from surges originating outside of your residence, such as lightening, or power company switching activities.
Ted99 and kee68 like this.
post #4446 of 4715 Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sounds like solid advice. Especially the whole house surge protection since I live in the lightning capital of the world.
I currently have the 8500 @ 9.2.4, Two SVS PB12+ subs, Samsung F8500 Plasma (bought from Cleveland!), Oppo 93 and Apple TV all running through a Panamax 5300 and a regular 15amp circuit. It would be nice peace of mind knowing Im adding extra protection and providing ample dedicated power to the receiver.

Denon AVR-x8500H, Definitive Technology Mythos 10 L/C/R, Def Tech 8040 L/R surround, DefTech Mythos Gem L/R rear surround,
DefTech ProMonitor 1000 L/R wide, DefTech DI8R in ceiling Atmos x4, SVS PB12+ subwoofer x2, Samsung PNf8500 64" plasma, Oppo BDP-93, Apple 4KTV, AC Infinity T10, Panamax m5300pm, Blue Jeans cable HDMI.
post #4447 of 4715 Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Does anyone know what frequencies does the dialog enhancer boost in 6500h and 8500h?

What other settings does it change in when dialog enhancer is selected?

I am trying to enhance dialogs in a 4.1 set up with Denon 3500 by tweaking Audyssey XT32. What frequencies should I boost or what other changes should I make in the settings?
post #4448 of 4715 Old 07-23-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I just upgraded to the AVC 8500H from AVR 4520 and I also purchased KEF R8a to set up additional Front Dolby channels in addition to my existing front height channels.

I need the advice of knowledgeable folks on here if there is any speaker configuration that will allow me to use both my Front Height and Front Dolby speakers (sitting on my front KEF R700). Right now it seems I am limited to only one pair as I am only given the option to select Surround Dolby or Back Dolby after selecting front heights in the speaker configuration settings.

Also, if I am only able to use either Front Height or Front Dolby, which one will be the preferred option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4449 of 4715 Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samorist View Post
I just upgraded to the AVC 8500H from AVR 4520 and I also purchased KEF R8a to set up additional Front Dolby channels in addition to my existing front height channels.

I need the advice of knowledgeable folks on here if there is any speaker configuration that will allow me to use both my Front Height and Front Dolby speakers (sitting on my front KEF R700). Right now it seems I am limited to only one pair as I am only given the option to select Surround Dolby or Back Dolby after selecting front heights in the speaker configuration settings.

Also, if I am only able to use either Front Height or Front Dolby, which one will be the preferred option?

Front Dolby and Front Height would be serving the same purpose and therefore only one of the two settings is allowed.

Consider the following options:
(a) Sit the R8a on the side surround speakers. - SURROUND DOLBY
(b) Sit the R8a on the rear surround speakers - BACK DOLBY
(c) Mount the R8a high up on the rear wall facing down - REAR HEIGHT
samorist likes this.
post #4450 of 4715 Old 07-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thanks @jdsmoothie for your detailed response.

My side surrounds and rear surrounds are on-wall speakers, so placing the Dolby speakers on them will not be feasible at the moment. I would also require additional wiring to use the R8a as back height speakers.

Looks like I will have to stick to either front height or Front Dolby for now. Which of these front speaker configurations do you think will have greater impact? I am leaning towards the Front Dolby approach as I think they would better simulate the overhead effects of object based surround sound.

post #4451 of 4715 Old 07-23-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samorist View Post
Thanks @jdsmoothie for your detailed response.

My side surrounds and rear surrounds are on-wall speakers, so placing the Dolby speakers on them will not be feasible at the moment. I would also require additional wiring to use the R8a as back height speakers.

Looks like I will have to stick to either front height or Front Dolby for now. Which of these front speaker configurations do you think will have greater impact? I am leaning towards the Front Dolby approach as I think they would better simulate the overhead effects of object based surround sound.

You will have to try both speaker configurations (ie. Front Height and Front Dolby) to determine which you prefer best as placing the Front Dolby speakers on top of the Front L/R speakers isn't always the most ideal location (ie. in some cases, placing them on dedicated stands closer to the main listening position is required).
Ted99 and samorist like this.
post #4452 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My X8500 has just come back from the service center and HDMI is now working. I guess the HDMI board has been replaced but they haven't said what was done.
But the 4kUHD sony x800 downscales to HD on the LG4k TV. With AVR turn on to play or via Passthrough when off.
If I Plug 4KUHD Player direct to TV - HDR and 4k kick in. Checked cables X800 to AVR and AVR to TV and both performing on 4K HDR.
If I remove the HD Projector HDMI from the AVR 4k and HDR is restored. Even with the HD projector turn off at the main (not in standby) but hdmi plugged in monitor 2 output it still stops 4k from the 4kUHD Player to the 4K TV.
From memory this issue didn't arise before but I ma getting older....
Only thing that has changed is a newer 4k 18gps Fiber optic lead to the HD projector (in case I go 4k later with projector)
Starting to lose confidence in this unit.....
Any ideas

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Denon DBT3313 Player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, Kef Ci130er Top, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, Rotel RQ970BX Modified or EAR834P.

Last edited by aviaction; 07-26-2019 at 02:18 AM.
post #4453 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaction View Post
My X8500 has just come back from the service center and HDMI is now working. I guess the HDMI board has been replaced but they haven't said what was done.
But the 4kUHD sony x800 downscales to HD on the LG4k TV. With AVR turn on to play or via Passthrough when off.
If I Plug 4KUHD Player direct to TV - HDR and 4k kick in. Checked cables X800 to AVR and AVR to TV and both performing on 4K HDR.
If I remove the HD Projector HDMI from the AVR 4k and HDR is restored. Even with the HD projector turn off at the main (not in standby) but hdmi plugged in monitor 2 output it still stops 4k from the 4kUHD Player to the 4K TV.
Only thing that has changed is a newer 4k 18gps Fiber optic lead to the HD projector (in case I go 4k later with projector)
Any ideas
Are you using both HDMI outputs on the 8500?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #4454 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Any ideas
The X8500 will output the lowest common denominator to the HDMI outputs --if both are powered ON (I'm assuming your LG4KTV is HDMI monitor out 1 and your projector is HDMI monitor output 2).

-If you are playing any HD source then it will be no issue..

If you play a 4K HDR source, and your HD projector is turned on, then the X8500 will send only HD to both HMDI outputs. If your HD projector is OFF or HDMI monitor 2 is unplugged, then it should send the correct 4K and HDR signal to your 4KLGTV. You shouldn't have to unplug it though.. Powering off the projector should give you 4K and HDR to your tv.

Spoiler!
post #4455 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
The X8500 will output the lowest common denominator to the HDMI outputs --if both are powered ON (I'm assuming your LG4KTV is HDMI monitor out 1 and your projector is HDMI monitor output 2).

-If you are playing any HD source then it will be no issue..

If you play a 4K HDR source, and your HD projector is turned on, then the X8500 will send only HD to both HMDI outputs. If your HD projector is OFF or HDMI monitor 2 is unplugged, then it should send the correct 4K and HDR signal to your 4KLGTV. You shouldn't have to unplug it though.. Powering off the projector should give you 4K and HDR to your tv.
That's what I was thinking

post #4456 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 AM

LG4k TV is on monitor 1

HD Projector is on monitor 2.

I have to unplug the HDMI Monitor 2 to enable 4K HDR on the LG 4K TV.
If I leave Monitor 2 plugged in, it drops to HD 1080. Even with the projector isolated from the mains....
As I say earlier is it the Driver in the Lindy 4k Fibre optic lead messing it up?
Or have I missed somthing in the AVR menu as it has been reset and only did a quick manual speaker setup to get it working.
Also yet to try putting the 4k Player into a socket closer to the Monitor 1 out as recommended by Denon. But then why have they stuck the Blu Ray input as nearly far away as possible....

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Denon DBT3313 Player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, Kef Ci130er Top, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, Rotel RQ970BX Modified or EAR834P.
post #4457 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
LG4k TV is on monitor 1

If I leave Monitor 2 plugged in, it drops to HD 1080. Even with the projector isolated from the mains....
As I say earlier is it the Driver in the Lindy 4k Fibre optic lead messing it up?
Or have I missed somthing in the AVR menu as it has been reset and only did a quick manual speaker setup to get it working.
Also yet to try putting the 4k Player into a socket closer to the Monitor 1 out as recommended by Denon. But then why have they stuck the Blu Ray input as nearly far away as possible....

I had the opposite situation earlier in the year. I had hdmi monitor 1 out for my 4k projector and hdmi monitor 2 went to an old 1080P plasma. If the plasma was on, then everything is output in HD1080P. This situation is fine for cable box or any HD programming. BUT, if I wanted to watch anything in 4K HDR on the projector, I had to power off the plasma (never had to unplug it from wall, or unplug it from hdmi monitor out 2). All I had to do was power the plasma off, and the 4K HDR was perfect to the projectr on hdmi monitor 1!

so, it should work the way you are describing your setup.

I was tired of the lowest common denominator thing, so I ended up replacing the old plasma with a 4K LG TV (OLED C6) and now I get 4k HDR everywhere. HDMI1 to projector and HDMI2 to LG4KTVOLED

I know it should work the way you have it setup without having to unplug the hdmi of your projector.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bejoy; 07-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #4458 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
I've had such a situation before, with a FHD Projector and a 4k TV, and the amp can't send two different resolutions... I had to unplug one of them..
post #4459 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 AM

I don't think it would be the new cable ? Can you try your old hdmi cable and see if it still happens?

Spoiler!
post #4460 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked: 3145
Quote:
LG4k TV is on monitor 1

Go into the Denon setup menus: Output Settings/HDMI Video Output. The options are Monitor 1, Monitor 2, or Auto (Dual). The receiver defaults to Auto (Dual). Unfortunately, in your scenario, the receiver will try to handshake with both displays. Seeing that one is only 1080p, it will only allow 1080p through either HDMI output. When you unplug the 1080p display, the handshake sees that everything is compatible with 4k and will allow that.

What you need to do is change this setting to Monitor 1. This will turn off the other HDMI output and give you a full 4k handshake. Later, if you want to use the 1080p display, change the setting either back to Auto (Dual) or to Monitor 2.

You can program this setting change into a couple of Quick Selects (one for just 4k, one for 1080p) that will allow you to switch between them faster.
dcbii and dfa973 like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #4461 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
LG4k TV is on monitor 1

If the EDID information on both display devices isn't exactly the same you can have problems... I would look to hdfury the solve those problems it can run to specific edids from one HDMI output

post #4462 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlypittsburgh View Post
If the EDID information on both display devices isn't exactly the same you can have problems... I would look to hdfury the solve those problems it can run to specific edids from one HDMI output

*two specific

post #4463 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 AM

First note as first post is that the projector was causing this on standby - and power off and unplugged from the Mains.
However just solved it.

Tried a HDMI lead on Monitor 2 to an old tv and if turned off but plugged in the resolution was 4k. The minute the old TV was power up the resolution switched to down to 1080, and then again back to 4k when old tv was powered off.
So it is my new Fibre optic HDMI. I even tried powering the USB connector on the HDMI to no effect.
I am going to have to run a standard 10m HDMI through the ceiling, as I had before WAPITA! until I upgrade to 4k projector.

Thanks for the "input" guys.

post #4464 of 4715 Old 07-26-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
First note as first post is that the projector was causing this on standby - and power off and unplugged from the Mains.
However just solved it.

Tried a HDMI lead on Monitor 2 to an old tv and if turned off but plugged in the resolution was 4k. The minute the old TV was power up the resolution switched to down to 1080, and then again back to 4k when old tv was powered off.
So it is my new Fibre optic HDMI. I even tried powering the USB connector on the HDMI to no effect.
I am going to have to run a standard 10m HDMI through the ceiling, as I had before WAPITA! until I upgrade to 4k projector.
Before buying a new HDMI cable that will almost certainly give you the same result, please try the instructions I posted above. It will take 30 seconds to test and will cost you nothing.
dfa973 likes this.

Josh Z

post #4465 of 4715 Old 07-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Before buying a new HDMI cable that will almost certainly give you the same result, please try the instructions I posted above. It will take 30 seconds to test and will cost you nothing.

Yes looked at that option but still not seamless. It should just work PnP. I guess the X8500 and Active Fibre Optic HDMI aren't totally compatible unless you are actually using a 4k Projector.
Maybe the electronics in the plug can't handshake properly. Might contact Lindy as lead is a premium kit cost over £100

I will leave the 4k lead in place and just parallel run a standard 10m HDMI if I have the room.
Got me looking at 4k projectors but the HD one I have is still very good and little used so don't really think its worth it at this time.

post #4466 of 4715 Old 07-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yes looked at that option but still not seamless. It should just work PnP. I guess the X8500 and Active Fibre Optic HDMI aren't totally compatible unless you are actually using a 4k Projector.
"Should work" and "does work" are two different things. The problem isn't your cable. The problem is the way the entire HDMI protocol was designed.

You can spend a lot of money on a new HDMI cable if you want, but the odds of that solving your problem are minisculeminuscule. The more pragmatic solution is to program the two different Video Output settings into the receiver's Quick Select buttons. If you want, you can then build that into an automation scenario using Harmony.

My $.02. Do with it what you will.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-29-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #4467 of 4715 Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2231 Post(s)
Liked: 2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
"Should work" and "does work" are two different things. The problem isn't your cable. The problem is the way the entire HDMI protocol was designed.

You can spend a lot of money on a new HDMI cable if you want, but the odds of that solving your problem are miniscule. The more pragmatic solution is to program the two different Video Output settings into the receiver's Quick Select buttons. If you want, you can then build that into an automation scenario using Harmony.

My $.02. Do with it what you will.

Spelling correction: minuscule from the Latin minusculus "rather less, rather small" (hint: think "minus" in the sense of "less").

Josh Z and Manni01 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #4468 of 4715 Old 07-27-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Spelling correction: minuscule from the Latin minusculus "rather less, rather small" (hint: think "minus" in the sense of "less").
Josh Z likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-26-19)
post #4469 of 4715 Old 07-28-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I realize this is an asked and answered question, but I’m going to again bump it.

Regarding Audyssey for my soon to be integrated X8500, my AVR will be 80’ from my room. I realize the limitations of 25’ of additional extension. But assuming that’s 50’ total (not sure how long the factory mic cable is), I’m short 30’.

I’m guess I could splice additional lengths of speaker cable and move the AVR closer for the Audyssey setup worst case, but what have others done?

I have always just manually set levels by ear in that room (old Yamaha VSX-1021 and Current X3500) and that’s certainly not too precise.

post #4470 of 4715 Old 07-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich428 View Post
I realize this is an asked and answered question, but I’m going to again bump it.

Regarding Audyssey for my soon to be integrated X8500, my AVR will be 80’ from my room. I realize the limitations of 25’ of additional extension. But assuming that’s 50’ total (not sure how long the factory mic cable is), I’m short 30’.

I’m guess I could splice additional lengths of speaker cable and move the AVR closer for the Audyssey setup worst case, but what have others done?

I have always just manually set levels by ear in that room (old Yamaha VSX-1021 and Current X3500) and that’s certainly not too precise.

I'm only responding to the mic cord length, perhaps another member can respond to >50' results.

Mic cord is 25' + 25' max extension (as indicated by Audyssey rep) = 50'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page