The *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2ch Flagship AVR Thread - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5347Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5551 of 6480 Old 03-20-2020, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,884
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Not a popular position in this thread but...

IMO, if you don’t foresee needing more than 11 channel capability, there is no point in buying a flagship model and paying for something you’ll never need. By the time 2.1 actually makes it to market, downstream AVR’s (mid range & even entry level AVR’s) will eventually have 2.1 capability built in.

I fully concur with this analysis. As long as OP is satisfied with the performance of his current AVR, it strikes me as unwarranted to purchase the Denon flagship strictly for the HDMI2.1 upgradability feature.
Manni01 likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 03-21-2020 at 04:26 AM.
chi_guy50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5552 of 6480 Old 03-20-2020, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Alanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Hail Hail AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
At 57 I feel young again having fellow HT seniors in this thread .

I can also let my wife and kids know that I’ll be still doing this 20 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
I'm glad I could make you guys feel good about your age by mentioning I am 74. If I were not sheltering in place, I would go to Squaw Valley and ski a slope in your honor. As it is I think I will have to settle for a glass of Carlo Rossi wine. So bottoms up!

My point being that just because one is a "gray hair" doesn't mean we're not up on this stuff, @jdsmoothie

At 57 I feel young again @mtbdudex

I am 62, pre retired. I also feel young. @AYanguas

I can tell you I'm still enjoying it, hope you will be too @Matt2026
gene4ht, mtbdudex, Bejoy and 2 others like this.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
Alanlee is offline  
post #5553 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2ch Flagship AVR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Not a popular position in this thread but...

IMO, if you don’t foresee needing more than 11 channel capability, there is no point in buying a flagship model and paying for something you’ll never need. By the time 2.1 actually makes it to market, downstream AVR’s (mid range & even entry level AVR’s) will eventually have 2.1 capability built in.

While mostly true, you have people like me that now have an eleven channel surround system in my living room AND a zone 2 (deck speakers). I’m living without deck speakers until I find a deal on the 8500. No big deal since it’s still winter. Emotiva’s base configuration now is 16 channels. I’m also planning on adding a 3 channel amp to relieve the 8500 of the fronts.
Craig Peer and Bejoy like this.

Last edited by Stevetd; 03-21-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Stevetd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5554 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So earlier I had asked the difference in running video straight to the TV as opposed to through the receiver. I had some good responses and have learned another reason why that is not as beneficial as it used to be. Maybe it is common knowledge, but optical connections can not handle newer audio such as Dolby Atmos. So if I want Dolby Atmos for say my Xbox, cable TV, or Netflix, running audio via optical to the receiver from the Xbox or from the TV to the receiver won't accommodate that. I have to run proper rated HDMI cable to the receiver, which means the only way to get video to the TV then is HDMI from the receiver. Learn something new all the time. In addition, the new Xbox doesn't appear to even have an optical out, so eventually I wouldn't even have that as an option.

At any rate, I have upgraded my home setup from 7.1 to 7.2.4 and it is too late to look back now.

So that raises another question (and I can figure this out) - will the Denon receiver pass through video and audio to the TV without being turned on? Meaning, if I just want to Netflix and chill with the wife while the kids are in bed, will the Denon 8500 feed the TV screen and TV speakers without being turned on?

Thanks and be safe!
nipper2u is offline  
post #5555 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 12:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ceará/Brazil
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
So that raises another question (and I can figure this out) - will the Denon receiver pass through video and audio to the TV without being turned on? Meaning, if I just want to Netflix and chill with the wife while the kids are in bed, will the Denon 8500 feed the TV screen and TV speakers without being turned on?
Thanks and be safe!



Yes, it does...


Cheers
Caesar
morgiastic and nipper2u like this.
-Caesar- is online now  
post #5556 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,506
Mentioned: 850 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24596 Post(s)
Liked: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
So earlier I had asked the difference in running video straight to the TV as opposed to through the receiver. I had some good responses and have learned another reason why that is not as beneficial as it used to be. Maybe it is common knowledge, but optical connections can not handle newer audio such as Dolby Atmos. So if I want Dolby Atmos for say my Xbox, cable TV, or Netflix, running audio via optical to the receiver from the Xbox or from the TV to the receiver won't accommodate that. I have to run proper rated HDMI cable to the receiver, which means the only way to get video to the TV then is HDMI from the receiver. Learn something new all the time. In addition, the new Xbox doesn't appear to even have an optical out, so eventually I wouldn't even have that as an option.

At any rate, I have upgraded my home setup from 7.1 to 7.2.4 and it is too late to look back now.

So that raises another question (and I can figure this out) - will the Denon receiver pass through video and audio to the TV without being turned on? Meaning, if I just want to Netflix and chill with the wife while the kids are in bed, will the Denon 8500 feed the TV screen and TV speakers without being turned on?

Thanks and be safe!
Yes. Refer to the following pages in the Owner's manual:

HDMI Pass Through - p. 196
Pass Through Source - p. 197
Craig Peer and nipper2u like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5557 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
So earlier I had asked the difference in running video straight to the TV as opposed to through the receiver. I had some good responses and have learned another reason why that is not as beneficial as it used to be. Maybe it is common knowledge, but optical connections can not handle newer audio such as Dolby Atmos. So if I want Dolby Atmos for say my Xbox, cable TV, or Netflix, running audio via optical to the receiver from the Xbox or from the TV to the receiver won't accommodate that. I have to run proper rated HDMI cable to the receiver, which means the only way to get video to the TV then is HDMI from the receiver. Learn something new all the time. In addition, the new Xbox doesn't appear to even have an optical out, so eventually I wouldn't even have that as an option.

At any rate, I have upgraded my home setup from 7.1 to 7.2.4 and it is too late to look back now.

So that raises another question (and I can figure this out) - will the Denon receiver pass through video and audio to the TV without being turned on? Meaning, if I just want to Netflix and chill with the wife while the kids are in bed, will the Denon 8500 feed the TV screen and TV speakers without being turned on?

Thanks and be safe!
Yes, it will pass through audio and video. I have my passthrough set as CBL/SAT. That way, we can watch news in the morning without firing up the whole setup. You can set your passthrough as your Roku or Apple TV or whichever device you would like to use to watch Netflix and chill
nipper2u likes this.

Spoiler!
Bejoy is offline  
post #5558 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,965
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5217 Post(s)
Liked: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
How is this Denon receiver? Is it worth the price? Currently I am running 7.1.4 with a pioneer sc95 emotive 2 channel amp Svs ultra book shelves, ultra center and ultra surrounds. The back surrounds and atmos speakers are prime satellites with a rhythmic f 18 subwoofer. My room is only 10 x 10. Is it worth it for me to even get this receiver? I mainly am interested in it because it will eventually offer 2.1 upgrade for a price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I fully concur with this analysis. As long as OP is satisfied with the performance of his current AVR, it strikes me as unwarranted to purchase the Denon flagship strictly for the HDMI2.1 upgradability feature.
I think this position is more popular than people would think. The 8500 is a fabulous AVR and I love mine, but honestly (especially given the well documented limitations of >11ch setups) I would not recommend spending the money to upgrade from a good 7.1.4 setup in a 10x10 room, especially if the reason you're doing it is so that you have the "privilege" of packing it up and shipping it away for a future hardware upgrade.

IMO, just enjoy what you have until HDMI 2.1 is commonplace, and then upgrade at that point when you actually need HDMI 2.1.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
While mostly true, you have people like me that now have an eleven channel surround system in my living room AND a zone 2 (deck speakers).
That's why there are pre-outs for the other zones. If you already have an 11ch AVR, that's a probably that's solved with a $100 stereo amp much more easily than swapping out everything for a $4K msrp 13ch AVR.
sdurani, Ted99 and Bejoy like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5559 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
That's why there are pre-outs for the other zones. If you already have an 11ch AVR, that's a probably that's solved with a $100 stereo amp much more easily than swapping out everything for a $4K msrp 13ch AVR.
I’m several glasses of Cab in tonight so someone correct me if I’m wrong but, the 3070 only has 11 channels of processing therefore it doesn’t matter if you have “pre-outs” if you’ve already taken up all the processed channels and therefore this is an incorrect assumption. I really hope I’m wrong.
Stevetd is online now  
post #5560 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petetherock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back in Asia for now
Posts: 3,741
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Not a popular position in this thread but...

IMO, if you don’t foresee needing more than 11 channel capability, there is no point in buying a flagship model and paying for something you’ll never need. By the time 2.1 actually makes it to market, downstream AVR’s (mid range & even entry level AVR’s) will eventually have 2.1 capability built in.
I could have bought the 6400 or the SR 8012. I chose this despite having a 7.2.4 speaker only, because of
- better sound
- more power - I sold my power amp, as I found that the internal amps are more than enough to drive my 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers
- better flexibility in assignment of amps
- better build
- HDMI upgrade capability
- nice remote
- I got a good deal, so I bought another unit for my new home at the beginning of the year
Bejoy, Matt2026 and Tony Voje like this.
petetherock is offline  
post #5561 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,506
Mentioned: 850 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24596 Post(s)
Liked: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I’m several glasses of Cab in tonight so someone correct me if I’m wrong but, the 3070 only has 11 channels of processing therefore it doesn’t matter if you have “pre-outs” if you’ve already taken up all the processed channels and therefore this is an incorrect assumption. I really hope I’m wrong.
Unlike Denon/Marantz models which have totally independent Zone 2/3 pre-outs from the main zone, the Yamaha A3070 Zone 2/3 pre-outs are shared with the Front/Rear Presence speakers such that what Zone pre-out capability you have will depend on which Power Amp Assign setting you are using for your 11CH main zone setup (p. 113 of the A3070 Owner's manual):

7.2.4 (ext Front) - both Zone 2 and Zone 3 pre-outs are available

7.2.4 (ext RP) - only Zone 2 pre-outs are available

7.2.4 (ext FP+RP) - neither Zone 2 nor Zone 3 pre-outs are available
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5562 of 6480 Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Unlike Denon/Marantz models which have totally independent Zone 2/3 pre-outs from the main zone, the Yamaha A3070 Zone 2/3 pre-outs are shared with the Front/Rear Presence speakers such that what Zone pre-out capability you have will depend on which Power Amp Assign setting you are using for your 11CH main zone setup (p. 113 of the A3070 Owner's manual):

7.2.4 (ext Front) - both Zone 2 and Zone 3 pre-outs are available

7.2.4 (ext RP) - only Zone 2 pre-outs are available

7.2.4 (ext FP+RP) - neither Zone 2 nor Zone 3 pre-outs are available

jd, thanks for the clarification. I was literally looking this up when I got the quote notification. I am going to be running a 7.2.4. Now I can go back to sleep LOL.
Stevetd is online now  
post #5563 of 6480 Old 03-22-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,401
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7626 Post(s)
Liked: 7699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Not a popular position in this thread but...

IMO, if you don’t foresee needing more than 11 channel capability, there is no point in buying a flagship model and paying for something you’ll never need. By the time 2.1 actually makes it to market, downstream AVR’s (mid range & even entry level AVR’s) will eventually have 2.1 capability built in.
Looking like HDMI 2.1 being "mainstream" will be a good year from now if receivers release HDMI 2.1 this summer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
How is this Denon receiver? Is it worth the price? Currently I am running 7.1.4 with a pioneer sc95 emotive 2 channel amp Svs ultra book shelves, ultra center and ultra surrounds. The back surrounds and atmos speakers are prime satellites with a rhythmic f 18 subwoofer. My room is only 10 x 10. Is it worth it for me to even get this receiver? I mainly am interested in it because it will eventually offer 2.1 upgrade for a price.
If you are going to use HDMI 2.1 for sure, nothing wrong with that idea.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #5564 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
My thanks and appreciation to you all who patiently answer these types of questions! I am now running all output from the AVR to the TV via a main HDMI cable and pass-through is working, now just have to convince the wife on the Netflix and chill part...

A few more questions:
- Is the USB port on the back switched or unswitched power? I want to connect a fan in my cabinet to blow when the Denon is on and will pick up a USB fan if it is switched. I couldn't find any reference in the manual. (when did they stop putting switched outlets on receivers - I always liked that feature)

- Anyone ever use a magnepull to pull speaker cable? I want try and run speaker cable from the baseboard (in a room with no wall access above or below) up to the ceiling in a wall of drywall with no firebreaks but with soundproof insulation. Due to the tight angles of being near the floor and near the ceiling plus the insulation, I feel the usual fishing rod and metal line are a bit stiff may get hung up if I can even bend them enough to get in the entry and exit holes. Before I spend the money, was hoping for some experience based insight.

- Is there a way to identify if an HDMI cable is pushing all the signal for say, Atmos? All of my newer HDMI cable is like 16+ feet so I had to grab an old HDMI cable out of that box we all have full of s-video, component, and RCA cables from over the years. The Dolby app on my Xbox let me configure Atmos after going from optical to HDMI output. But since I have no idea how a less than capable HDMI cable will perform, I want to be sure I am getting the most of out my set up. Do I need to buy some "8K" capable HDMI cables from monoprice to be safe and future proof?

Thanks again
nipper2u is offline  
post #5565 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,965
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5217 Post(s)
Liked: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
Is the USB port on the back switched or unswitched power? I want to connect a fan in my cabinet to blow when the Denon is on and will pick up a USB fan if it is switched. I couldn't find any reference in the manual. (when did they stop putting switched outlets on receivers - I always liked that feature)
I don't think it's clearly documented in the manual, but the USB ports are tied to the network control. If the Network Control setting is set to "Always On" then the USB ports should also be always on, if it's set to "Off in Standby" then the USB ports should switch off when the AVR goes into Standby: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/N...SYmehwmguq.php

The other alternative, since turning off standby IP control could be a big impediment to functionality, is to just get a "smart outlet" that does switched power when it receives enough current in the main outlet that the AVR is plugged into. Or get a temperature controlled fan like the AC Infinity series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
Is there a way to identify if an HDMI cable is pushing all the signal for say, Atmos?
It either gets there or it doesn't. Digital cables don't work like you are thinking, you can't "push" part of the signal only such that the audio gets degraded. If you are seeing clean video (no sparkles / drop-outs or other obvious artifacts) and the audio is playing, then the signal made it to the AVR/display.

Also note that audio is relatively very low bandwidth compared to video.
nipper2u likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5566 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,884
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper2u View Post
I want to connect a fan in my cabinet to blow when the Denon is on and will pick up a USB fan if it is switched.


Do I need to buy some "8K" capable HDMI cables from monoprice to be safe and future proof?

Adding to batpig's responses,


(1) Ideally, you want the fan to continue running after the AVR powers down in order to dissipate the remaining heat and reduce the ambient temperature. This requirement is best achieved by means of a temperature-controlled ventilation fan, such as batpig referenced.


(2) The Monoprice Premium Certified cables should suffice. I would hold off on getting any cables for 8K purposes until manufacturers are able to provide cables that pass the HDMI Licensing Administrator's Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable Certification Program. When they reach market, these cables will sport the approved label as shown below.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI Label.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2700982  
Matt2026 and nipper2u like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #5567 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
HEOS Ending

Anyone had their HEOS go to sleep or stop for some reason? Mine does at times and I have yet to figure the reason.
MTNWalker is offline  
post #5568 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I'm glad I could make you guys feel good about your age by mentioning I am 74. If I were not sheltering in place, I would go to Squaw Valley and ski a slope in your honor. As it is I think I will have to settle for a glass of Carlo Rossi wine. So bottoms up!

My point being that just because one is a "gray hair" doesn't mean we're not up on this stuff, @jdsmoothie

At 57 I feel young again @mtbdudex

I am 62, pre retired. I also feel young. @AYanguas

I can tell you I'm still enjoying it, hope you will be too @Matt2026
I’m 62 and hope at 70+ I will still be surrounding my ears with the pleasure of what the audio geeks create. I have a friend who is an audiophile 10 years younger telling me that I continue to search for more than what stereo already offers at the finest.

Emersion is what I seek after I return home from a concert and I do want more than the purist stereo for my experience. I just wish there was and will be more recording media to tickle my aural experience.


Who knows what holes in the ceiling we will cover up in the future in search of hearing a vocalist and their guitar sitting in front of us. Experiencing the closed eyes of thinking it is so.


The visual experience of even silent movies was totally enhanced by the organist or pianist and sound effects. A movie without sound is worthless. So my search is probably more than I should expect. In the mean time I look for always being blown away. The 8500 so far has been my next step.
Alanlee and Squirrel! like this.
MTNWalker is offline  
post #5569 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,881
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNWalker View Post
I’m 62 and hope at 70+ I will still be surrounding my ears with the pleasure of what the audio geeks create. I have a friend who is an audiophile 10 years younger telling me that I continue to search for more than what stereo already offers at the finest.

Emersion is what I seek after I return home from a concert and I do want more than the purist stereo for my experience. I just wish there was and will be more recording media to tickle my aural experience.


Who knows what holes in the ceiling we will cover up in the future in search of hearing a vocalist and their guitar sitting in front of us. Experiencing the closed eyes of thinking it is so.


The visual experience of even silent movies was totally enhanced by the organist or pianist and sound effects. A movie without sound is worthless. So my search is probably more than I should expect. In the mean time I look for always being blown away. The 8500 so far has been my next step.
I have literally zero experience with the 8500, but you pretty much nailed precisely how I feel about my 4311CI and MartinLogans with dual subwoofers that equate to 1500 watts of air robbing bass. Except I stopped searching since the installation. I can only imagine the 8500 being at least similar, but honestly, not better. But that is just me.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #5570 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 8,082
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 30820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNWalker View Post
I’m 62 and hope at 70+ I will still be surrounding my ears with the pleasure of what the audio geeks create. I have a friend who is an audiophile 10 years younger telling me that I continue to search for more than what stereo already offers at the finest.

Emersion is what I seek after I return home from a concert and I do want more than the purist stereo for my experience. I just wish there was and will be more recording media to tickle my aural experience.


Who knows what holes in the ceiling we will cover up in the future in search of hearing a vocalist and their guitar sitting in front of us. Experiencing the closed eyes of thinking it is so.


The visual experience of even silent movies was totally enhanced by the organist or pianist and sound effects. A movie without sound is worthless. So my search is probably more than I should expect. In the mean time I look for always being blown away. The 8500 so far has been my next step.
Hey MTNWalker,

I haven't seen you on the https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-s...l#post59378336 board

That might give you some immersive ideas Or not
Matt2026 is online now  
post #5571 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,884
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNWalker View Post
Anyone had their HEOS go to sleep or stop for some reason? Mine does at times and I have yet to figure the reason.

Yes, I (and others) posted about it here last week, and it happened to me again briefly a couple of days ago. My guess is that is due to a server glitch, but that is only a guess.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #5572 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,506
Mentioned: 850 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24596 Post(s)
Liked: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Yes, I (and others) posted about it here last week, and it happened to me again briefly a couple of days ago. My guess is that is due to a server glitch, but that is only a guess.
.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	478
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2701184  
Robbie Racer likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5573 of 6480 Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Alanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNWalker View Post
I’m 62 and hope at 70+ I will still be surrounding my ears with the pleasure of what the audio geeks create. I have a friend who is an audiophile 10 years younger telling me that I continue to search for more than what stereo already offers at the finest.

Emersion is what I seek after I return home from a concert and I do want more than the purist stereo for my experience. I just wish there was and will be more recording media to tickle my aural experience.


Who knows what holes in the ceiling we will cover up in the future in search of hearing a vocalist and their guitar sitting in front of us. Experiencing the closed eyes of thinking it is so.


The visual experience of even silent movies was totally enhanced by the organist or pianist and sound effects. A movie without sound is worthless. So my search is probably more than I should expect. In the mean time I look for always being blown away. The 8500 so far has been my next step.
I did not have the pleasure of viewing Lillian Gish in a silent movie at a theater (1912-1920's), but I have been in old theaters and heard the pipe organs. I can only imagine Lillian in all her glory. I can sit in a silent room and watch her. The camera loved Lillian Gish.

On the other hand, I just received a 1998 DVD of Rigoletto (Wixell-Pavarotti-Gruberova). It's 5.1. The sound could be better, but Pavarotti is off the charts.

For great sound I go to my DVDs of John Wick 1,2,3. I have not counted the number of folks he shot in the head, but there is some nice audio. The ceiling comes alive.

I also like my Eagles DVDs, Muddy Waters and the Rolling Stones and CDS of Robert Johnson and Mississippi John Hurt. I have spent many evenings listening to Maria Callas. She makes me cry.

These audio-video systems contribute to my leisure time both by listening and viewing, and in addition it's fun to plug stuff in.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
Alanlee is offline  
post #5574 of 6480 Old 03-24-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,884
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
.




Do you know whether D+M have identified the source of the disruption and whether they are aware of its apparent recurrence as reported here?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #5575 of 6480 Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I've got a 12v 100mm pancake-type computer fan that I'm going to power from the 12v. trigger mini plug. I think the 12 v. trigger has a .5 amp rating, which should be enough and the trigger jack is on the rear, thankfully. Just need to cut a 100mm hole in the rear cover of my console.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Ted99 is offline  
post #5576 of 6480 Old 03-24-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,230
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I've got a 12v 100mm pancake-type computer fan that I'm going to power from the 12v. trigger mini plug. I think the 12 v. trigger has a .5 amp rating, which should be enough and the trigger jack is on the rear, thankfully. Just need to cut a 100mm hole in the rear cover of my console.

What is your source for this thought?
bigguyca is online now  
post #5577 of 6480 Old 03-25-2020, 02:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNWalker View Post
I’m 62 and hope at 70+ I will still be surrounding my ears with the pleasure of what the audio geeks create. I have a friend who is an audiophile 10 years younger telling me that I continue to search for more than what stereo already offers at the finest.

Emersion is what I seek after I return home from a concert and I do want more than the purist stereo for my experience. I just wish there was and will be more recording media to tickle my aural experience.


Who knows what holes in the ceiling we will cover up in the future in search of hearing a vocalist and their guitar sitting in front of us. Experiencing the closed eyes of thinking it is so.


The visual experience of even silent movies was totally enhanced by the organist or pianist and sound effects. A movie without sound is worthless. So my search is probably more than I should expect. In the mean time I look for always being blown away. The 8500 so far has been my next step.



I found myself buying more Blu Ray Audio, SACD and DVD-A both for classic stereo 2 channel or surround including original quad mixes. But do wish there was more avialability,

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Denon DBT3313 Player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, Kef Ci130er Top, Kef 1001 Center Front Height 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted Earthquake BA-550 plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, EAR834P.
aviaction is offline  
post #5578 of 6480 Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am settling into my new 7.2.4 config (FL/FR, C, SL/SR, SBL/SBR, FHL/FHR, RHL/RHR, plus 2 SWs in a 16' x 18' multipurpose room with 9' ceilings). Since the whole family is in quarantine I haven't been able to really open it up as the only Atmos movies I have are not ones my young boys should watch just yet. However, while watching some Atmos demos, my wife even commented how she can understand why I was looking at upgrading our TV a few weeks ago. I will take that as a victory. Can I get anyone's thoughts on the following?

- I went through the Audyssey config with the mic. When looking at the speaker levels they are all in the negatives. FL/FR are -3 all the way down to SWs are -7. Is this telling of something particular in my setup? Should I tweak it in any way? I admit I don't have the nuanced ear most of you probably have, and it sounds so much better than what I had before, but I don't know what I don't know. Is the 8500 too much for my room?

- I switched out my original FHL/FHR speakers for a larger pair. Do I need to re-run the Audyssey config completely or just set the levels for these new ones so it sounds uniform with the other speakers (which is a -3/-3.5)?

- How big is the payoff for connecting either Front Wides or a Center High? I saw in the Denon manual a config where I can add either to my setup. I have read there are some limitations to how often either of these speakers are used, but I do have an extra set of speakers I could throw somewhere if it would matter. I am hesitant to do it cause I don't think more is always better, it clutters things up a bit, and it would be more speaker wire to hide. But if it opens up my sound stage or fills in some gaps, I am willing to consider it. I know this is a matter of opinion, so responses from those who have actually tried it are appreciated.

- Anyone care to comment on their "go to" scenes to show off their setups? For me it was Matrix Chapter 30 with all the bullets and bass. However my boys are old enough but still young enough now that I am mindful of all that goes on in that scene. The Dolby demos via the Xbox are nice, but is there something else I should be aware of?

This whole process has been exciting and knowing I have this forum is a peace of mind as I wander into territory I haven't been in for years. My first surround sound setup was a Canon 4 head VCR and Canon surround sound selector I convinced my dad to buy from the local movie rental place. I had 2 homemade speakers in the back and my 2 Pioneers up front, and boy was I hooked! I don't have the time to fiddle with it like I could back then, so your insights and experience are again, much appreciated.

Thanks and be safe everyone!
vn800art likes this.
nipper2u is offline  
post #5579 of 6480 Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 AM
Member
 
siciliano611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I FINALLY figured out the issue that I was having with flickering/handshake with the combo of using my Nvidia shield pro, panasonic ub820 UHD player, x8500, and my sony z9d tv. I originally thought the handshake issue where I'd see flickering at times with the shield or UHD player was due to HDMI cables not being up to par. I've literally cycled through about 5 different types and eventually all had the issue. Next I decided to plug the shield DIRECTLY into the tv to which I saw no issue at all. Lastly, I have the both monitor 1 and 2 outputting to hdmi 2 and 3 inputs of my z9d tv and so for the first time today instead of the usual monitor 1 (ARC) output from the x8500 to the tv, I used the monitor 2 output to hdmi 2 in the tv....there was ZERO issue at this point.

So it seems that I have a broken monitor 1(ARC) port out of the x8500. Should I go ahead and call Denon for warranty repair on this? I don't think there is any setting im missing that would cause the issue to only happen with the monitor 1 output but maybe I'm wrong...I am not using the ARC functionality at all, I wonder if turning off ARC/HDMI Control would fix this?
siciliano611 is offline  
post #5580 of 6480 Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,506
Mentioned: 850 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24596 Post(s)
Liked: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
I FINALLY figured out the issue that I was having with flickering/handshake with the combo of using my Nvidia shield pro, panasonic ub820 UHD player, x8500, and my sony z9d tv. I originally thought the handshake issue where I'd see flickering at times with the shield or UHD player was due to HDMI cables not being up to par. I've literally cycled through about 5 different types and eventually all had the issue. Next I decided to plug the shield DIRECTLY into the tv to which I saw no issue at all. Lastly, I have the both monitor 1 and 2 outputting to hdmi 2 and 3 inputs of my z9d tv and so for the first time today instead of the usual monitor 1 (ARC) output from the x8500 to the tv, I used the monitor 2 output to hdmi 2 in the tv....there was ZERO issue at this point.

So it seems that I have a broken monitor 1(ARC) port out of the x8500. Should I go ahead and call Denon for warranty repair on this? I don't think there is any setting im missing that would cause the issue to only happen with the monitor 1 output but maybe I'm wrong...I am not using the ARC functionality at all, I wonder if turning off ARC/HDMI Control would fix this?



A question better resolved prior to posting.
kee68 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off