The *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2ch Flagship AVR Thread - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5334Likes

post #5641 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24573 Post(s)
Liked: 13801
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
I have done a summary table to show when the Wides are used and When Not.

I have not tested, because I have No Wides yet. Not sure if it is worthwhile for me.

Please confirm and/or correct the info on this table with your proper knowledge.
Review Front Wide information listed in post 2.
AYanguas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuns View Post
Can anyone please confirm that the Shield 2019 Pro has no HDMI pass through issues with the 8500 to a 4K device?
I am fighting a long running battle with my shield and NAD 777v3. I am at a stage of giving up and upgrading to the Denon 8500.

Thanks!
I've just tested a Shield TV 2019 (not the pro model, but mostly identical especially re passhtrough) and I had no problem passing through Atmos and DTS:X to the X8500 and then to the rest of my chain (Envy Extreme, HD Fury Maestro, JVC RS2000 native 4K projector). As always, YMMV, but no issue here. Just make sure when you get the X8500 (if you do) that you enable the full 18gb/s bandwidth (they call it HDMI Enhanced if I remember correctly). It's disabled by default to enhance compatibility with mediocre cables/equipment, and that limits the bandwidth to 10Gb/s. That's if you have HDMI Premium certified cables of course, otherwise stick to the (safer) default.

Besides the Shield, I've tested many 4K sources recently (ATV 4K, Amazon FTV Cube gen2, Oppo 203 clone, Dune HD 4K Pro) as well as older sources that I still use such as my Pana UB900 or my 1080ti-based HTPC and the X8500 has always been flawless. When/if there was an issue with some content, it was due to the source, not the receiver. It also plays well with video processors such as the Envy and high-end switches such as the HD Fury maestro. I've had it from launch and I'm in no hurry to replace it, unlike most other components in my chain [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG].
Great thank you! I ordered one today. Can’t wait to get it and try it out!
Manni01 likes this.
post #5643 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 5924 Post(s)
Liked: 6502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuns View Post
Great thank you! I ordered one today. Can’t wait to get it and try it out!
You're welcome, let us know how you get on

Forgot to say that I have an LG 4K Monitor on the second HDMI Out of the X8500H and that it works fine with the X8500 too, with all the sources mentioned.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro/Diva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Review Front Wide information listed in post 2.
Thank you. I updated the table in my previous post with the post 2 info.

AVR: Denon AVC X8500H (Atmos 7.1.6, DTS:X, Auro-3D 13.1)
DPY: Optoma UHZ65 / Lumene Majestic Premium 270C / TV LG C9
Ply:: Dune HD Solo 4K / Dune HD PRO 4K / Oppo 203 / Fire Stick 4K
SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
Oth: HDFury Vertex2
post #5645 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Thank you. I updated the table in my previous post with the post 2 info.

Here is the more complete table showing FW output under the various sound modes (from the user's manual, U.S. version, pp. 319-320):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW1.png
Views:	544
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	2705080   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW2.png
Views:	503
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	2705082  
Robbie Racer and Manni01 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #5646 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Caesar- View Post
Hi,

My 8500 constantly overheats and a couple of times it even smoked. What a stupid design flaw from Denon! Are there only inexperienced kids working there now?

One of my earlier Denon receivers (the 3820) at least had a fan or two built in (I can't remember if there was 1 or 2 fans built in but that did the job and they turned on when going up with the volume).

Now this 8500er "Flagship" has nothing like that and I can almost fry eggs on top of that stupid thing!

I was looking into the AC Infinity AIRCOM cooling element but due to this Corona fuss going on and almost all international flights into Brazil are cancelled and friends from overseas had to cancel their flights I had to find a solution to this overheating problem or I had to continue listening and watching to Metallica, Rammstein, Zappa & Co on a max volume of 70 (or that darn thing starts smoking again and switches off).

I remembered I placed an additional colling fan into my PC a few years ago which was sitting in there idle. So I took that out, connected it with a 12V power supply (everybody has those laying around in their home from previous supplies like routers, cordless phones or whatsoever), put 4 little transparent plastic bumpers on the bottom of the fan and hooked it up.
What shall I say- after less than a minute the receiver's top cover was *cold* and the fan blows up warm air!!! I can't hear any noise from the fan, nothing...

I saw those fans on Amazon for $7.00 if someone is interested.

I will report after the next drinking session if the receiver switches off again at volume 80+.
If all is good I will install it underneath the top cover once that thing is out of warranty (if I couldn't find a better receiver by then).

I thought I would share this very inexpensive solution to you...

Cheers
Caesar

PS: Attached are a couple of pics...
The back panel of the X8500 shows a max current rating for the 12v. trigger signal of 250 Milliamps. A quick check of Amazon showed the current draw of one 120mm computer fan to be 250 milliamps. If one is able to repurpose a trigger cable and solder it to the computer fan, one has an internal 12v. power source that is switched with the receiver.
-Caesar- likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5647 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
If sufficient ventilation is provided around the AVR, there shouldn't be any overheating issue, even without using an external fan.

Note also there are 4 cooling fans built in; however, they don't power on unless the unit reaches a more extreme temp of 167F.

Hi mate,

Thank you kindly for your response.

My receiver is "free-standing" with 25cm to the back, 10 cm to the right, 30 cm to the left and 200cm to the ceiling. I'm pretty sure that should be more than sufficient?
What internal fans are you talking about? Where are they? I'm afraid to open the top cover not to avoid the warranty (in case Denon marked the screws with paint).
Extreme temp of 167°F??? I burn my skin when touching the top cover of the receiver while listening/watching things at a volume of 55!
*MANY* other 8500'er owners reported the same heating issues I experience here.Where are you living? Alaska?
Anybody else in warmer climates experience similar heating problems? Of course only when listening/watching things above a volume of 70.

I'm 3° south of the equator and my room temperature is around 29°C average. But I hope that is not a Denon excuse...?

Cheers
Caesar
post #5648 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
The back panel of the X8500 shows a max current rating for the 12v. trigger signal of 250 Milliamps. A quick check of Amazon showed the current draw of one 120mm computer fan to be 250 milliamps. If one is able to repurpose a trigger cable and solder it to the computer fan, one has an internal 12v. power source that is switched with the receiver.
Correct, however, in order to do so <Network Control> must be set to "Off in Standby" thereby losing the ability to power the AVR on using the Denon AVR Remote app, HEOS app, Airplay or network streaming service.
post #5649 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Hi mate,

That would be the next step after my warranty has expired (connecting the fan internally). At the moment I connected the power supply with a foot switch (too lazy to pull the plug every night). As you can see on my pics the 140mm brushless fan I have here sucks 200mA max, it lids 4 blue LED's too (which I don't need).

Cheers
Caesar
Ted99 likes this.
post #5650 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Hi mate,

My receiver is "free-standing" with 25cm to the back, 10 cm to the right, 30 cm to the left and 200cm to the ceiling. I'm pretty sure that should be more than sufficient?
What internal fans are you talking about? Where are they? I'm afraid to open the top cover not to avoid the warranty (in case Denon marked the screws with paint).
Extreme temp of 167°F??? I burn my skin when touching the top cover of the receiver while listening/watching things at a volume of 55!
*MANY* other 8500'er owners reported the same heating issues I experience here.Where are you living? Alaska?
Anybody else in warmer climates experience similar heating problems? Of course only when listening/watching things above a volume of 70.

I'm 3° south of the equator and my room temperature is around 29°C average. But I hope that is not a Denon excuse...?

Cheers
Caesar
1. Lots of very helpful information provided in the first few posts of this thread to include a picture of the fans in post 1.
2. Many? Not in this thread. Less than a handful have made a comment about a HOT unit with just as many others saying only warm to the touch, my own unit barely warm to the touch only climbing to 100F with ECO mode OFF (although turning it ON drops the temp 10F) at volume 70/-10dB with the AVR powering 11 speakers watching Master and Commander (great movie!). It's also important to note the majority of the heat is generated by the video card, not from the internal amps.

Also, you can see from my LOCATION field to the left of this post I live in Orlando, FL.

What is important is that you have resolved the overheating issue with your unit.
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-03-2020 at 08:34 AM.
post #5651 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Here is the more complete table showing FW output under the various sound modes (from the user's manual, U.S. version, pp. 319-320):

I don't fully understand this complete table for the Front Wides output channels, when input signal is not Atmos or DTS:X. I don't fully understand the *5 Note.

According to this, Wides are used when input signal is Multi-channel, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD.

But, What Multi-channel sources include channels for the Front Wides? The usual sources I know are 5.1 (with surrounds) or 7.1 (Surrounds and surround backs). I don't know of any released source that contains multi channel signals for the Wides. Apart from Atmos and DTS:X

Does this mean that when you select that "Sound Modes", DTS-HD, for example, the Wides are used in addition to the input 5.1 channels?
With what content?
Is it a kind of matrixed expanded channels like when playing 5.1 DTS, the output is going also to the Surround Backs as if they were 7.1?
Is it that the Fronts are duplicated to the Front Wides, for those "Sound Modes"?

SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
post #5652 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Hi,

My 8500 constantly overheats and a couple of times it even smoked. What a stupid design flaw from Denon! Are there only inexperienced kids working there now?

Cheers
Caesar
Has your AVR been looked at by a Denon tech? Just doesn't seem like that could be normal behaviour.
Morgan
post #5653 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked: 7693
Quote:
Hi mate,

Cheers
Caesar
I know I am in a cooler climate but I have had zero issues with over heating, she gets warm but nothing I am alarmed about. It is possible you may have some kind of defect. I know if you get a external solution in place and the issues persists call Denon as you probably have another issue.
post #5654 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
@AYanguas

What I got out of it is if Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD contain a front wide signal, it will output it. In other words, if Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD contain Atmos, it will output it (i.e. Atmos can be in either format). Similarly, Atmos can be in PCM multichannel as well (MAT) and Neural X can operate with regular DTS. I think that covers it all?
kee68 and AYanguas like this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #5655 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
1. Lots of very helpful information provided in the first few posts of this thread to include a picture of the fans in post 1.
2. Many? Not in this thread. Less than a handful have made a comment about a HOT unit with just as many others saying only warm to the touch, my own unit barely warm to the touch only climbing to 100F with ECO mode OFF (although turning it ON drops the temp 10F) at volume 70/-10dB with the AVR powering 11 speakers watching Master and Commander (great movie!). It's also important to note the majority of the heat is generated by the video card, not from the internal amps.
Also, you can see from my LOCATION field to the left of this post I live in Orlando, FL.
What is important is that you have resolved the overheating issue with your unit.

Hi mate,

Thanks again for your input.
I looked at the reviews of the Infinity cooling unit at Amazon and almost everybody there bought their cooling unit because of overheating issues with their Denon receivers. If I remember correctly there were more than 150 reviews of the unit I wanted to buy. That's on amazon.de

Have you any 3D movies you could turn up loud to see if you have the same issues?

Cheers
Caesar
post #5656 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Has your AVR been looked at by a Denon tech? Just doesn't seem like that could be normal behaviour.
Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Unfortunately I'm in Brazil and there are no Denon Techs here...
I bought the receiver 6 months ago in Holland.

Cheers
Caesar
post #5657 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Hi mate,

Thanks again for your input.
I looked at the reviews of the Infinity cooling unit at Amazon and almost everybody there bought their cooling unit because of overheating issues with their Denon receivers. If I remember correctly there were more than 150 reviews of the unit I wanted to buy. That's on amazon.de

Have you any 3D movies you could turn up loud to see if you have the same issues?

Cheers
Caesar
I do not have a 3D TV nor any access to any 3D movies for that matter, although don't believe it plays a part with your unit's ventilation issue.

It's not uncommon for owners to provide insufficient ventilation for their AVRs resulting in overheating issues and thereby resulting in the need for an external fan and so the many reviews on Amazon.

The bottom line is that there is clearly an issue with your particular unit that was resolved with an external fan. Without access to a tech/repair shop, there's not really much more you can do.
post #5658 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Hi Morgan,

Unfortunately I'm in Brazil and there are no Denon Techs here...
I bought the receiver 6 months ago in Holland.

Cheers
Caesar
That is indeed a conundrum. Sorry, and quite surprised, to hear that.
Morgan
post #5659 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked: 6023
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvb View Post
Attached pics of setup....I’m wondering if I can even do 15 channels....if not is it better to do front wide and 4 height or stick with 6 height?
OK, I think I see the confusion now. The layout you are showing has 6 heights but that's an AURO3D version, as the "Surround Height" speaker location is NOT used by Atmos.

The receiver lets you connect up to 15 speakers, but only 13 can be operated at any time. The extra 2 speakers can support different surround formats.

So in the layout below, Atmos would play as 9.1.4 (Front Height + Rear Height) and Auro3D would play as 7.1.4 (Front Height + Surround Height). DTS:X playback and any DSU/Neural:X upmixing would be 7.1.4 (Front Height + Rear Height).

You also have the option of doing 9.1.4 with Front Height + Center Height + Rear Height + Top Surround which is a more efficient option IMO, since then you get full 13.1ch Auro3D playback (FH + CH + RH + TS) whereas with the layout you have selected in this graphic you'll never hear more than 4 height speakers playing.

Alternatively, if you don't care about Auro3D, just run 9.1.4 and don't worry about the extra heights.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5660 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't fully understand this complete table for the Front Wides output channels, when input signal is not Atmos or DTS:X. I don't fully understand the *5 Note.
FYI - he complete table and notes can be seen here: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/N...SYrvfbzbgs.php

The *5 note applies to surround modes with NO upmixing -- Direct, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc. It's saying in awkward Denon-ese that "the comes in is what goes out", the AVR will not do any extra processing to add more speaker outputs.

Quote:
According to this, Wides are used when input signal is Multi-channel, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD.
Per *5, this would ONLY occur if the INPUT SIGNAL already contained those channels. It is theoretically possible to encode a Dolby TrueHD track with native FW signals, but nobody has ever done it.

Quote:
Does this mean that when you select that "Sound Modes", DTS-HD, for example, the Wides are used in addition to the input 5.1 channels?
With what content?
Is it a kind of matrixed expanded channels like when playing 5.1 DTS, the output is going also to the Surround Backs as if they were 7.1?
Is it that the Fronts are duplicated to the Front Wides, for those "Sound Modes"?
None of the above -- it's a theoretical footnote for the hypothetical possibility that a native TrueHD or DTS-HD signal included hard-coded FW signals. That, as far as I know, has literally never happened.
AYanguas likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5661 of 6463 Old 04-03-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

None of the above -- it's a theoretical footnote for the hypothetical possibility that a native TrueHD or DTS-HD signal included hard-coded FW signals. That, as far as I know, has literally never happened.
There's no such thing (theoretical or otherwise) as hard-coded regular FW in those signals on the 8500. Period.

*5 refers to the signals that can carry Atmos (DD+, TrueHD or PCM Multi-channel via MAT) or Neural X. That's why there's a *. It means those signals can potentially use FW (via Atmos/Neural X and if Auro-3D had FW it would be marked too, but it's not since it doesn't). It's the same reason "Rear Back" is included because TrueHD and DTS-HD may or may not include the rear channels (5.1 vs 7.1). There's nothing strange or theoretical about it.
AYanguas likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #5662 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
There's no such thing (theoretical or otherwise) as hard-coded regular FW in those signals on the 8500. Period.

*5 refers to the signals that can carry Atmos (DD+, TrueHD or PCM Multi-channel via MAT) or Neural X. That's why there's a *. It means those signals can potentially use FW (via Atmos/Neural X and if Auro-3D had FW it would be marked too, but it's not since it doesn't). It's the same reason "Rear Back" is included because TrueHD and DTS-HD may or may not include the rear channels (5.1 vs 7.1). There's nothing strange or theoretical about it.
OK, I think I understand. So, in summary, FW are only used with Dolby Atmos (in whatever coding format) and DTS:X/ Neural:X (with the limitation to 11 channels).

Thank you for your explanations, and Hope you are all healthy.

post #5663 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I think I understand. So, in summary, FW are only used with Dolby Atmos (in whatever coding format) and DTS:X/ Neural:X (with the limitation to 11 channels).

Correct.

DTS:X Pro should remove the 11-channel limit when it becomes available for the 8500.

There are, of course ways to get FW support external to the 8500 ala matrixed or steered logic if you want them to work with everything all the time. That also frees up two channels to use for something else like CH/TS for DTS:X or TM for Atmos or DTS:X.

Personally, I think matrixed FW sounds rather good in 2-channel stereo mode. It seems to expand parts of the sound stage and might even cancel some side reflections over part of the spectrum. Combined with the same effect for front heights using a mixer (primary purpose is to raise the soundstage a bit to be even with the screen instead of under it like dialog lift with the center instead), the entire soundstage sounds both expanded and more focused here, IMO (more like a line source driver like my Carver Ribbons upstairs).
kee68, vn800art and AYanguas like this.

post #5664 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just to be clear, I am right and he is wrong. That *5 is NOT referring to Atmos/DTS:X, it's referring to channel-based content. His explanation is full of holes if you read the chart -- for example, if he were correct, why is there a separate listing for Atmos in the chart? and why is the *5 note there for SB, FH, and FW but not TF, TM, TR, etc? .... but he's on my ignore list and I have no interest in responding or arguing with his insufferable 10,000 word diatribes.

Trust me, I'm correct here, it's referring to natively encoded channels, not immersive audio, and you basically don't have to worry about it as all it's saying is "if you turn off upmixing, the signal will play as encoded".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5665 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

To add a little more color -- prior to the advent of immersive object-based audio for surround sound, when upmixers like Audyssey DSX and then DTS Neo:X were upmixing from 7.1 to 11.1 by adding Front Height and Front Wide speakers, there were considerations for expanding channel based formats beyond 7.1 which had become possible with the advent of hi-resolution audio formats.

One of the first forays into this was natively "matrix encoded" height+wide signals on DTS-HD soundtracks like Dredd Blu-ray, which would then be extracted by Neo:X into near-discrete 11.1ch output. However, there is indeed theoretical support in the DTS-HD codec for natively encoded height and wide signals.

If you google the document "DTS-HD Master Audio Suite User Guide" for example, you'll find all sorts of references to potential front height / front wide encoding.

For example, this screenshot shows discrete encoding for a 5.1+FH layout:

And you can see in this screenshot that supported 7.1 layouts include 5.1+FW and 5.1+FH:

Note that this is all the way back in 2007! Atmos didn't come to home theater receivers until 2014, and DTS:X over a year layer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	2705764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2705770  

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5666 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:

Adding to batpig's explanations, and as illustrated in the chart I had previously posted, you can also get (non-native) FW output using the Multi Ch Stereo sound mode. This DSP mode (IMHO all the other DSP modes in the chart are rubbish) mirrors the front stereo output to all speaker pairs in your system and will utilize the AVR's full maximum of 13 speaker processing. I sometimes use it for music and find that it is a nice way to envelope yourself in the performance.
Craig Peer and AYanguas like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #5667 of 6463 Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, I am right and he is wrong.
Wow. That's right up there with "I know you are but what am I?"

Quote:
That *5 is NOT referring to Atmos/DTS:X, it's referring to channel-based content
Please point to any document that shows there's direct native (non-Atmos, non-Neural X) support for FW and FH channels if you are correct. I don't recall ever reading about any direct support for such channels. I think HDMI has a limit of 8 (7.1) analog channels.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/hdmi

Unless something has changed (and I can't find anything on it), I don't see any evidence of this "theoretical" support. I'd love to find out there's new format options so go ahead and show me how I can output to those speakers using direct native encoding. I'd love to try it out.

Quote:
-- for example, if he were correct, why is there a separate listing for Atmos in the chart?
I'd say it's because the manual is listing ALL POSSIBLE AUDIO CONTENT that could be played and while Atmos is technically layered on top of TrueHD or DD+, it's still important for the user to know which speakers work with it. As to why certain speakers aren't included in TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD but are included in multi-channel, it's hard to say, but I'd find it easier to believe they forgot to include them than just make up native channels support with no evidence such a thing even exists.

Quote:
but he's on my ignore list and I have no interest in responding or arguing with his insufferable 10,000 word diatribes.
I don't recall having arguments with you in the past and I liked your home theater system. I did notice you liking put down comments by others so I figured you had some issue along with the "usual suspects" that attacked me the moment I asked some questions about Atmos after not following the site for several years (apparently if you don't bow down to the King, his followers get quite testy so I can only assume you're one of them). If they or you want to 'ignore' me, that's their option and as far as I'm concerned, their loss. I don't have any of them blocked any longer (it's been years for god's sake). I can't help what or whom you like, but I never had a problem with you. No one can win over everyone as people have different opinions, views and dispositions. Otherwise, the whole world would be a wonderful friendly place. If people want to post things that don't make sense on here, I'm going to call them out on it. Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong (I've been both before) but ignoring other people simply because I don't like their opinions or don't like reading longer posts would be juvenile behavior, IMO. I only block trolls not people with whom I disagree. Having different opinions is supposed to be the purpose of discussion forums, but all too often all I see are people who want their egos stroked. Sorry. I'm not kissing anyone's butt.

Quote:
Trust me, I'm correct here
Trust you? I wouldn't trust anyone anymore, especially when new format or previously unknown features are suddenly invented to explain things. I certainly wouldn't trust someone who calls my posts insufferable.
AYanguas likes this.

post #5668 of 6463 Old 04-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
A change of subject:

Cranking up music yesterday & went to The channel adjust.
I tried increasing my Sub 1 level & it would only go to 6.
It would go down, but not up anymore.

Paused the DVD, then restarted & the Sub 1 level then worked.
It would do this on & off the whole nite.

Also, played (3) different DVD's.

I could not adjust the volume any higher that -8.5 db, -9.5 db & -12.5 db.

The receiver would not go any louder.

I checked & the Max Volume Limit was = OFF.

Any thoughts
post #5669 of 6463 Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I could not adjust the volume any higher that -8.5 db, -9.5 db & -12.5 db.

The receiver would not go any louder.

I checked & the Max Volume Limit was = OFF.

Any thoughts
I'm formulating a bit of a theory Milan. A couple of questions for you:

1. What are the values of your individual channel level trims and are these as recommended by Audyssey?

2. Are you running the Sub 1 hot at the (+?)"6"(dB) level, or is that as recommended by Audyssey?
post #5670 of 6463 Old 04-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I listen to alot of Rock concert DVD's.
Audyssey does not work for these , as some of the mixes are lacking the Center channel.
And adjustments are needed for every artist

So I have the levels setup manually to my hearing

Sub 1 hooked up to rear sub amp
Sub 2 hooked up to amps in font left & right speakers.

No trouble adjusting Sub 2 levels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page