Tube preamp, AVR, Subwoofer, EXT In. - Conundrum - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Tube preamp, AVR, Subwoofer, EXT In. - Conundrum

Hi Everyone,

Let me just start by saying, my apologies if this has been covered before in bits and pieces, but after Googling around for a couple of days, I have not been able to find this addressed anywhere. Having said that, let's begin.

Setup:

I have a Little DOT MK3 Tube preamp, connected to Denon AVR-4310CI in "EXT In.". Denon is driving 2 x Paradigm Studio 60v5, and a HSU VTF3-MKII sub.
I use my setup 70% for music, and 30% for TV/Games etc.

Problem:
Denon in itself, without the preamp, can do a 2.1 (stereo + sub) perfectly. I have set the Paradigms as small at 60Hz crossover, and that works fine.

When it comes to using Little Dot Tube Preamp which is connected as an external line in "Ext In.", the subwoofer stops working. That's probably because Denon is not applying any low-pass filter to isolate and send the 60Hz signal to the sub. I have changed the Stereo/2ch settings, but it doesn't work. My hypothesis is, and perhaps someone can confirm, that with EXT In, Denon does not apply any kind of processing to the pre-amp signal. Hence, no subwoofer.

Question:
Now, I realize I can put y-connectors on Little Dot, and do line-in to the left and right on the HSU sub, and also use the cross-over on the sub.

The problem with the above approach is two fold:
1. Denon drives my fronts as Large, that means I will have my fronts producing the bass signals + the sub producing below 60hz. This unfortunately, makes my room boomy.
2. Even if I somehow tune LFE + Main bass, then I still have to manually switch cables, if I want to not use Tube Pre-amp for my HT use.

If you are with me here, here's the conundrum:

Can I somehow send the signal from Tube preamp, into the "SW" under "EXT IN." on denon? If I can do that, then the incoming signal to Denon would be 2.1, and everything will work out fine.

If the above is not possible, any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon 4310ci , little dot mk3 , preamp , tube amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page