Suggestions for external 3 ch amp ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By troyh4
  • 1 Post By Socketman
  • 3 Post By T-Bone
  • 2 Post By Socketman
  • 2 Post By T-Bone
  • 1 Post By Onetrack97
  • 1 Post By T-Bone

post #1 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Suggestions for external 3 ch amp ?

How many of you have bypassed the your internal power of your receivers and added an external power amplifer to feed your speakers?
Whether you have bought mono amps or multi power amp to help extra power your fronts speakers or entire surround speakers.
Did you notice a big difference by adding a separate power amplifer and increased horse power to your speakers?
I currently have a Pioneer SC-95 that delivers 85w x 9, I believe , and I am running Klipsch RF280's for my fronts, and RC-62ii for my center channel. I bought Klipsch in-wall speakers for my rears and atmos ceiling speakers but have not installed them yet. I was wondering would buying an external power amplifer say, 3 channel amp or 3 of the separate Outlaw mono amps rated at 200w provide better sound or head room, or dynamics to my blu ray soundtracks?
Would appreciate if you could chime in and let me know how your system sounds now vs when you were just running power from your AVR's to your speakers?
And provide recommendations for power amps, mono blocks?
thanks,
Cinepro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
in my case for music I gained 5 db's about. in my large space I needed max performance. i have 2 amps bridged...this allows for flexibility in the future...can use them for surround chennels or whatnot if i get upgrade itis.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #3 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh4 View Post
How many of you have bypassed the your internal power of your receivers and added an external power amplifer to feed your speakers?
Whether you have bought mono amps or multi power amp to help extra power your fronts speakers or entire surround speakers.
Did you notice a big difference by adding a separate power amplifer and increased horse power to your speakers?
I currently have a Pioneer SC-95 that delivers 85w x 9, I believe , and I am running Klipsch RF280's for my fronts, and RC-62ii for my center channel. I bought Klipsch in-wall speakers for my rears and atmos ceiling speakers but have not installed them yet. I was wondering would buying an external power amplifer say, 3 channel amp or 3 of the separate Outlaw mono amps rated at 200w provide better sound or head room, or dynamics to my blu ray soundtracks?
Would appreciate if you could chime in and let me know how your system sounds now vs when you were just running power from your AVR's to your speakers?
thanks,
I've been planning to purchase my first amp to power at least my front towers and maybe the center as well within the next 2 weeks and have been researching online. Many seem to like Emotiva who currently makes a 3 channel amp, the XPA-3. I'm a little hesitant because everyone seems to be a little sketchy about the new power supply that's used in their current 3rd generation amps. Also, been reading their forums about people having heat issues as well as DOA's. They certainly look pretty cool and provide plenty of juice. The Outlaw 7140 seems to be a solid choice but unfortunately they've been sold out for some time now. I spoke to someone on their support team and they're either gonna restock at some point or wait awhile to release a new one. Their 2200 monoblocks look interesting and certainly powerful but for some reason I haven't been able to find feedback on them. If it was within my budget, the Parasound Halo A21 would definitely be a primary contender. THX certified, powerful, looks great and haven't read about any complaints. In the end, I may just play it safe and just get another Marantz amp like the MM7055 to go with the 7012 I plan to upgrade to very soon.

Hope this helps a little

Marantz 6012 SVS PB 1000 (2)
B&W 683 S2 (2) (towers)
B&W HTM61 S2 (center)
B&W 686 S2 (2) (side rears)
SVS Prime Elevations (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I have owned a XPA 3 Gen1 and currently own an XPA5 Gen2 and XPA6 Gen3 and i have nothing but good things to say about all of them. Never so much as a small issue and certainly no excess heat. The harder the speaker is to drive and the louder you play the more heat any amp other than class D will generate heat. The Gen 3 should run cooler since its class H . With the OP's very efficient speakers this will be a lot of power,more than he should ever need.As an aside, some receivers don't have enough pre out voltage to drive the amp to full power so keep that in mind.

From Emo Site: The High-Powered Single Channel Modules used in the XPA-7 Gen3 utilize a fully analog Class A/B output stage, and our highly regarded Soft-Switch™ Class H power supply topology, which increases their efficiency significantly without compromising the audio performance you’d expect from an Emotiva amplifier. They operate on a lower supply voltage at low power levels to minimize quiescent power consumption and standby power losses, instantly switching to a higher voltage rail when needed to ensure the signal passes cleanly and without clipping. This process happens on a continuous basis in real time, allowing greater overall efficiency, cooler operation, longer component life, reduced power consumption, and increased reliability.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
thanks,
your LCR are 98 db efficient. You do not need an amp

See here. Assuming no reinforcement from walls, 85 watts, and 12 distance to MLP, your AVR can deliver 106 db at the MLP. So that 106 dB is sustained... certainly no headroom required since your avr can do 85 watts sustained x 7 channels driven.

As long as an amp is operating within its limits, you'll hear no difference between amps IMO. Especially with your efficient speakers.

I run a dedicated amp... since 2006... but that's because I purchased my Onkyo SR702 in 2004 *before* I purchased my speakers (one was a 4-ohm)... and the 702 at that time could not drive a 4-ohm for more than 30 minutes (after which semblance became apparent). I did hear only one profound difference in the new amp (other than no more semblance issue) when listening to All Channel Stereo only. The Onkyo 702 was pretty weak in hindsight.

My speakers (I still have them) are only 88 db efficient.

-T
post #6 of 17 Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

See here. Assuming no reinforcement from walls, 85 watts, and 12 distance to MLP, your AVR can deliver 106 db at the MLP. So that 106 dB is sustained... certainly no headroom required since your avr can do 85 watts sustained x 7 channels driven.

As long as an amp is operating within its limits, you'll hear no difference between amps IMO. Especially with your efficient speakers.

I run a dedicated amp... since 2006... but that's because I purchased my Onkyo SR702 in 2004 *before* I purchased my speakers (one was a 4-ohm)... and the 702 at that time could not drive a 4-ohm for more than 30 minutes (after which semblance became apparent). I did hear only one profound difference in the new amp (other than no more semblance issue) when listening to All Channel Stereo only. The Onkyo 702 was pretty weak in hindsight.

-T
All good information. Just dont confuse need with want, we all get upgrade itis. For me the visual gratification of the equipment is part of the overall theater experience..
smithsabom and jjackkrash like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
Quote:
your LCR are 98 db efficient. You do not need an amp [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

-T
All good information. Just dont confuse need with want, we all get upgrade itis. For me the visual gratification of the equipment is part of the overall theater experience..
Well, technically speaking, I am not confusing Wants with Needs :-)

The thread starter was genuinely interested in knowing if the external amp would be a benefit to him. Unless I missed it, I never got the impression that he was going to get an amp whether he needed it or not.

So since he wanted to know if he needed one, I laid it out pretty clear in my opinion that he does not need one.

-T
Madmax67 and eljaycanuck like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Review of the Outlaw Monoblocks 2200.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1...er-4-2003.html
post #9 of 17 Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
i’d go for this ATI listed here

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155241.0
post #10 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
thanks,
As far as power goes, you do probably have enough, but these are not necessarily your last speakers or last AVR.

I would look for a Class A/B or Class A amplifier. You can literally spend as much money as you want when you go high end.

The Outlaw 2200 is probably a good choice. Take a look at the Schiit Vidar. You could get two of those and just leave one channel open for now.

Monoprice Monolith 3x200 Watts Per Channel Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs.

A good amp will outlive all of your other equipment.
Baby Jocko likes this.

Last edited by Onetrack97; 02-20-2018 at 12:42 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I had an emotive XPA-3 Gen1 with my RF7ii's. It never broke a sweat and ran alarmingly cool. Sometimes I wondered if it was even on lol, then again it is powering klipsch so probably an average of 1-10 watts. I did find that mine had a noise floor hiss with my klipsch when nothing was being played that could be heard from about 1-2' away only. It's a high powered amp for sure, sometimes high powered amps with highly sensitive speakers isn't always the best combination. I now have a Marantz mm7025 at 140wpc that is dead quiet and I love it.

Marantz SR6010 -- Marantz MM7025 -- Marantz UD5007
Klipsch RF-7ii's - RC-64ii - RB-51ii's - RS-42ii's - R-112sw(x2)

HK990 -- HD990 -- Klipsch RF-7ii's
post #12 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You can find just about any name brand 3 channel amp on e bay all day long when you decide. I was able to get an Acurus 200x3 like new for a steal from an authorized dealer.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

-T
I never thought about it this way so I really appreciate the post. I guess I can hold off now but like socketman said. I think now since I don't NEED it I just want it..I do notice that after a certain increase in gain on the volume of my Denon x4300h my speakers don't get any louder. ( I have bic acoustech PL series)

Quote:
I am in this category after reading I thought I had to have one but I don't need one but now I can just save up and get something down the road because as you say " the visual gratification of the equipment is part of the overall theater experience.." plus the buying and hooking up.

Thanks to both of you guys.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago1 View Post
Quote:
your LCR are 98 db efficient. You do not need an amp [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

-T
I never thought about it this way so I really appreciate the post. I guess I can hold off now but like socketman said. I think now since I don't NEED it I just want it..I do notice that after a certain increase in gain on the volume of my Denon x4300h my speakers don't get any louder. ( I have bic acoustech PL series)

Quote:
I am in this category after reading I thought I had to have one but I don't need one but now I can just save up and get something down the road because as you say " the visual gratification of the equipment is part of the overall theater experience.." plus the buying and hooking up.

Thanks to both of you guys.
You are welcome. Certainly nothing wrong with wanting a new amp. And I agree... The equipment is appealing to view.

My equipment cabinet was normally a grand I think... Got for 600 on Amazon in a crazy sale. So... I NEEDED a cabinet, but WANTED a really nice looking one .

Good luck

-T
post #15 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocom View Post
You can find just about any name brand 3 channel amp on e bay all day long when you decide. I was able to get an Acurus 200x3 like new for a steal from an authorized dealer.
Good plan.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The thread starter was genuinely interested in knowing if the external amp would be a benefit to him. Unless I missed it, I never got the impression that he was going to get an amp whether he needed it or not.

So since he wanted to know if he needed one, I laid it out pretty clear in my opinion that he does not need one.

-T

Well we all see and hear things said and written differently and i could clearly see he was trying to get us to help convince himself he really needed an amp and judging by his last post i read it right this time around. Thats how i percieved it , i was not trying to discredit you in any way shape or form. I for one dont need an amp , my speakers could get by easily on 10 or 15 watts per channel for my listening level plus having 2 subs that handle the heavy lifting since bass consumes the bulk of the power any way but i have 11 channels in 2 spererate amps . WHY you ask, because i can its what floats my boat and i have the money so why not.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T

Well we all see and hear things said and written differently and i could clearly see he was trying to get us to help convince himself he really needed an amp and judging by his last post i read it right this time around. Thats how i percieved it , i was not trying to discredit you in any way shape or form. I for one dont need an amp , my speakers could get by easily on 10 or 15 watts per channel for my listening level plus having 2 subs that handle the heavy lifting since bass consumes the bulk of the power any way but i have 11 channels in 2 spererate amps . WHY you ask, because i can [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] its what floats my boat and i have the money so why not.
Troyh4 was the thread starter. He only had a single Post in the thread.

The follow-up post a few hours ago was from a different user altogether. With a different set of speakers.

But it's all good. I never thought you were trying to discredit me. We are just a bunch of people exchanging ideas on AVS forum

-T
chadsmith013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page