Stereo Setup in need of an AV Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question Stereo Setup in need of an AV Receiver

Hello there,

I do not have a surround sound speaker setup and I am not planning to get one anytime soon. I love my stereo. On the other hand, I am a tech geek with modern, huge 4K TV and all kinds of toys that I connect to it, so I usually go for AV receivers instead of stereo amps to have a matching, modern "switching hub".

That said, I am looking to replace my old and dusted Denon AVR 4303, which can no longer hold up with current HDMI standards, let alone 4K resolution. I have a pair of huge, high-end Dynaudio 3.3 stereo speakers that are quite demanding, so the new receiver should be able to drive those and have enough power in stereo mode.

My main focus is musical quality and not so much about how the receiver processes all those fancy surround sound standards and how it sounds for movies.

Since I already own a Denon, I was naturally looking at them again and had the 4400 and maybe even the 6400 in sight (or wait for the successors with HDMI 2.1). But then I keep reading about the Yamaha 2070/3070. And Marantz.

I really can't make up my mind and I really don't know which brand would serve my needs best. Any recommendations? What AV receivers would be recommended for stereo setups?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22602 Post(s)
Liked: 12296
The HDAM pre-amps on the Marantz SR series will serve you much better for music listening. Consider the SR6012 which is the lowest model that uses the highest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The HDAM pre-amps on the Marantz SR series will serve you much better for music listening. Consider the SR6012 which is the lowest model that uses the highest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Thanks. And forgive me, but what are HDAM pre-amps and what makes them better than other pre-amps? Would the 7012 be the closer companion to the Denon 4400?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Quoted: 22602 Post(s)
Liked: 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Thanks. And forgive me, but what are HDAM pre-amps and what makes them better than other pre-amps? Would the 7012 be the closer companion to the Denon 4400?
The type of pre-amp that Marantz uses that differs from those used on the Denon models. The SR7012 and X4400H are sister models.

HDAM
Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. These HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years Marantz developed different types of the HDAM to improve quality and to fit to the special requirements of a product category like CD or amplifier.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! So basically the Marant 7012 is the better Denon 4400.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Onkyo TX-8270 is a pretty nice unit, don't know how it compares to the Marantz?
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mo...urce=prodClass
post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I am a big fan of marantz, but if your speakers are 4 ohm I would recommend NAD as they are rated for 4 ohm and marantz generally is not.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Hello there,

I do not have a surround sound speaker setup and I am not planning to get one anytime soon. I love my stereo. On the other hand, I am a tech geek with modern, huge 4K TV and all kinds of toys that I connect to it, so I usually go for AV receivers instead of stereo amps to have a matching, modern "switching hub".

That said, I am looking to replace my old and dusted Denon AVR 4303, which can no longer hold up with current HDMI standards, let alone 4K resolution. I have a pair of huge, high-end Dynaudio 3.3 stereo speakers that are quite demanding, so the new receiver should be able to drive those and have enough power in stereo mode.

My main focus is musical quality and not so much about how the receiver processes all those fancy surround sound standards and how it sounds for movies.

Since I already own a Denon, I was naturally looking at them again and had the 4400 and maybe even the 6400 in sight (or wait for the successors with HDMI 2.1). But then I keep reading about the Yamaha 2070/3070. And Marantz.

I really can't make up my mind and I really don't know which brand would serve my needs best. Any recommendations? What AV receivers would be recommended for stereo setups?

Thank you!
This;

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eceiver-review

Cheers
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
I remember reading on avs Forum where two critics agreed the Yamahas were the brightest, Onkyo next, then Denon and the Marantz, listed last, was the most musical. I would go for the Marantz since music is to be favored.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The type of pre-amp that Marantz uses that differs from those used on the Denon models. The SR7012 and X4400H are sister models.

HDAM
Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. These HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years Marantz developed different types of the HDAM to improve quality and to fit to the special requirements of a product category like CD or amplifier.
I was going to say something snarky about the relevance of pre-amps for those of us who only use digital sources, but Marantz claims to use the HDAM technology for all of the analog circuits, including the power amps after the DACs.

I wonder whether humans can hear the difference.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I was going to say something snarky about the relevance of pre-amps for those of us who only use digital sources, but Marantz claims to use the HDAM technology for all of the analog circuits, including the power amps after the DACs.

I wonder whether humans can hear the difference.
The answer to your question is; that if we are over 40 yo, we certainly cannot.

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003...DAmbrose.shtml

Cheers
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hello there,

Thank you!
Hi. i have changed from a classic stereo setup a couple of year ago and it took me long time to get the right setting on a Denon AVR 1611 5.1 AV receiver to keep me almost satisfied. I am using multichannel stereo mode and is quite good for music listening. Anyway my previous stereo system was not a hi end one (old Sansui A40 with 4 speakers - 2 Sony 3 way system with 8” woofers + 2 florstanding Pure Acoustics Junior F tower speakers with 2 x 6.5” woofers and dome tweeter).
AVR is very nice from the point of view that you can do everything with a single audio / video setup, saving space and so on... but the music feeling of a stereo integrated amplifier is not the same. I think that I will make same sort of update in some components in the Sansui and will arrange some sort of speakers switching device in order to use the Denon or the Sansui according to my preferences.
Please let me know how it worked for you the AV receiver you have decided to buy and how do you compare it with Stereo amplifiers.
By the way, the Denon is grate for movies, but I am still wondering why this huge pice of electronics with powerful microprocessors cannot handle music signals in the same way it trates the digital audio from movies or blue ray concert for example.
Thank you for reading my point of view. Have a nice day!!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

thanks for all your input. I somehow forgot about this thread, so I apologize for not getting back. I have eventually decided on a Yamaha RX2070, which is due for delivery next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page