"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #541 of 688 Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i am not getting audio through my cable box hdmi connected device . my bd player and pc both get audio no trouble through their slots. i am not sure whether it is my hdmi cable or slot or the box, though it is the same thing with same hdmi that was in the cable box slot in the Onkyo TX SR608 that this device is replacing. i quadruple checked the settings yet no audio comes through this box to the speakers. no volume shows on the cable picture which is brilliant. way better than in the 608 but no sound. i do the little button to check out the info , i guess it is the 'info' button and it shows on screen but shows 'analogue' for sound. but nothing comes through. oh well. i have not watched that cable tv once on 18months or more. i was just testing out connections but now it bothers me though i will never watch it. i get slingtv and do all my television via streaming into my Roku tv. i keep cable tv because my rate will not drop unless i drop the phone i have with cable too. just losing one of those will not impact my monthly fee or not more than $5 bottom line. most of cable services is in the cost of high speed internet. a shame but that is how it is in my area with the 2 companies we have to choose between (dish is not allowed in the condo rules) any hints. i got tired of waiting on hold for the tv tech who will begin by having me run around the place 'power cycle' everything which of course i have done. done all those basics a number of times. the hdmi cable is the one supplied and working in the 608. i was under the presumption, i guess, that the hdmi 2.2 was compatible with all recent hdmi standards. my cable is not 4k not all channels are 1080i/720p either , they have the lower band of SD i am sure. or think so, as i say, i just do not watch it only channels i checked audio on last week since i got this rz720, were in the hd band of numbers ,pbs and local major NBC,CBS and i know they are hd because i get them over the air if i feel like watching local news, never, but i can with the leaf antenna which is great. free too.

TCL49S517 4K,SAMSUNG [email protected] 1080p, ONKYO TX RZ720, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. MSI970 GAMING, MSI RX 480 GAMING 8GB DDR5, AMD [email protected], 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, 250Gb SAMSUNG 850 EVO, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , LINKSYS AC1750, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; WINDOWS 10 X64 PRO INSIDER TRACK ...For what it's worth more small stuff bluetooth ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 688 Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
GLBright & gene4ht,
Thank you for the advice and comments. I suppose in the end, any of them will be sufficient to make a system sound good. I'll roll the dice tomorrow!
post #543 of 688 Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I finally got around to hooking my 820 up I bought on BF. A couple newbie questions to start:
- What listening modes do you guys generally prefer? As I'm coming from an Onkyo 808, I usually gravitate towards the THX/Cinema modes myself (so far)
- Preferences on streaming music via built-in Chromecast vs Airplay? I normally use Google Play, so both are available to me.

I've got some other questions regarding my 7.1 > 5.1.2 setup, but I'll save those for the huge Atmos thread.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 688 Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
So I finally got around to hooking my 820 up I bought on BF. A couple newbie questions to start:
- What listening modes do you guys generally prefer? As I'm coming from an Onkyo 808, I usually gravitate towards the THX/Cinema modes myself (so far)
- Preferences on streaming music via built-in Chromecast vs Airplay? I normally use Google Play, so both are available to me.

I've got some other questions regarding my 7.1 > 5.1.2 setup, but I'll save those for the huge Atmos thread.

thanks
This is purely personal preference. In terms of the new codecs you now have with the 820...namely Atmos and DTS:X, the AVR will automatically select the appropriate/proper codec. For your previous preference, all the THX listening modes are still there for everything else. However, the surprising feature and overwhelming preference are the two new upmixers associated with Atmos and DTS:X...Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) and Neural:X. These two upmixers will bring new life and an improved level of immersion to older non Atoms/non DTS:X titles...as they say..."Try it, you'll like it!"

And as you've indicated, by all means visit the Atmos thread as it has numerous friendly and knowledgeable contributors.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #545 of 688 Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 PM

I will try to make this simple or clear: does anyone know why a cable hdmi connected with new hdmi cables through the new rz720 would fail to carry audio yet have the picture just fine? i used this same box, with the hdmi cable supplied in the box from cable co into the same cable/sat input in the sr608 without any issue. i bought a new hdmi cable from monoprice 3' premium 4k with no changes.
the only answer i get from the cable company is that this onkyo is not compatible even though a 9yr old one was. i am in a quandary
thanks
john

TCL49S517 4K,SAMSUNG [email protected] 1080p, ONKYO TX RZ720, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. MSI970 GAMING, MSI RX 480 GAMING 8GB DDR5, AMD [email protected], 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, 250Gb SAMSUNG 850 EVO, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , LINKSYS AC1750, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; WINDOWS 10 X64 PRO INSIDER TRACK ...For what it's worth more small stuff bluetooth ect.
post #546 of 688 Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniedoo View Post
I will try to make this simple or clear: does anyone know why a cable hdmi connected with new hdmi cables through the new rz720 would fail to carry audio yet have the picture just fine? i used this same box, with the hdmi cable supplied in the box from cable co into the same cable/sat input in the sr608 without any issue. i bought a new hdmi cable from monoprice 3' premium 4k with no changes.
the only answer i get from the cable company is that this onkyo is not compatible even though a 9yr old one was. i am in a quandary
thanks
john
Make sure the AVR input being used is set to use HDMI audio.
johnniedoo likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #547 of 688 Old 12-17-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Make sure the AVR input being used is set to use HDMI audio.
thanks ,but i did not want to go on and on with details. but i did all that, and re checked numerous times. tried a couple of other hdmi ports too. i made sure i tried every option too. took over 3 days with different checks and double check tries. Not full days, just when i got the urge to try again. i know it works, i know i can plug directly into the tv hdmi port, there are 2 other besides the arc input on this tv. so sound does come out of the thing , just not through the onkyo rz720 any hdmi port. did in the onkyo 608 and sound works directly into my tv with the hdmi ports set to 2.0. so no clue why the onkyo is so much trouble for me/this thing.
thanks for the try though certainly could have been that, i wish it had been
john

post #548 of 688 Old 12-17-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
thanks ,but i did not want to go on and on with details. but i did all that, and re checked numerous times. tried a couple of other hdmi ports too. i made sure i tried every option too. took over 3 days with different checks and double check tries. Not full days, just when i got the urge to try again. i know it works, i know i can plug directly into the tv hdmi port, there are 2 other besides the arc input on this tv. so sound does come out of the thing , just not through the onkyo rz720 any hdmi port. did in the onkyo 608 and sound works directly into my tv with the hdmi ports set to 2.0. so no clue why the onkyo is so much trouble for me/this thing.
thanks for the try though certainly could have been that, i wish it had been
john
Well there goes my one and only possible solution.

Have you hooked any other HDMI devices to the AVR and if so does the sound come through? Might be a faulty AVR, but it's weird that the picture is fine but there is no audio.
johnniedoo likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #549 of 688 Old 12-17-2018, 05:45 PM

thanks again
yes, sure, i put my bd player through it and tried the cable box through the bd player port ,they are 1 and 2 so that was my first try day one. i put the cable box through every other port but the front one.i will try that later. but it is not a solution i would continue to have the hdmi cable stretch in the front port is even too unsightly for me and i dont have much taste
my first concern was a faulty product but i am pretty sure that isnt the case. i wondered whether it could be a compatibility issue with the hdmi 1.4 vs 2.0 or 2.2 but all the trial and error tests ive done seem to exclude that. my bd player is from 2011 or 12 and it is just fine though not 4k , just the 1080p of the day with good audio pass through or encode to the best of dts and dolby from then. i am confused which is why i tried a post here. i am trying to get on the forum for onkyo but for some reason i had to wait for administrator approval or some other thing. i registered the device and i thought i had an account with forum at onkyo usa or north america but i got no word back. i was on it in 2010 or then when i got the sr 608. i will not give the rz back for this but the sr 608 is still working great , i like it and the cable tv box works just fine in it as of yesterday anyway. this is a matter of principle with me. i barely watch cable tv, i do streaming most everything. i do not like commercial tv, the commercials nor the current content. i tried to watch football on NBC local station on the cable box sunday and got into a huff and tried many options but i should not think i need to do any more than what i do for all the other hdmi inputs . the other things work ok. i do the cable box the same way and nothing. a great picture but no sound. no action from the cable box remote with the audio up/down. i did what the cable co told me to do with the tech support such as it was. reset it . so they blame the onkyo for being incompatible . i am not sure it is it. but everything points to that ,with this box maybe only?just dont know thanks again anyhow

post #550 of 688 Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm finding the 820 sounding "duller" than my 809 for some reason... Bass/LFE are better than before, but I feel it's lost the clarity of dialogue I used to have in the 809. I've run the AccuEQ a couple times, and found the distances to be fairly good, but i did tweak some of the levels (I don't like my front towers misbalanced, for e.g.).

Short of cranking up the centre channel level (which I've tried), is there anything else I should try to play with to get it sounding clearer?
post #551 of 688 Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'm finding the 820 sounding "duller" than my 809 for some reason... Bass/LFE are better than before, but I feel it's lost the clarity of dialogue I used to have in the 809. I've run the AccuEQ a couple times, and found the distances to be fairly good, but i did tweak some of the levels (I don't like my front towers misbalanced, for e.g.).

Short of cranking up the centre channel level (which I've tried), is there anything else I should try to play with to get it sounding clearer?
Similar issues for me. Finding that the speaker calibration on the Onkyo is not as good as on my old Pioneer. Does anyone have any suggestions on manual calibration settings for the sub and speakers. My speakers and sub are Axiom Epic Micro's.
post #552 of 688 Old 12-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Chromecast issue

First attempt at Chromecast on my RZ820. I have Google home setup and it recognizes the 820. I also have setup a portable speaker connected to a chromecast audio device. Setup a group in Google home for both devices. Problem Im having is if I manually select chromecast in the Onkyo Controller software, the zone shuts off. Don't understand why. Cannot get the zone to play from Chromecast no matter what combination I try. Zone shuts off, when Chromecast is selected.

Any ideas?
post #553 of 688 Old 12-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Hey Juryman, any luck with your 820 issue? I just bought one and will be installing today.

Blakeslee
post #554 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't decide between TX-NR585 and TX-RZ620

Folks. Very sorry to have to ask this question here. I can't find the answer to this question directly online, nor by searching here at avsforums.

Short story:

I can't decide between TX-NR585 and TX-RZ620. Are these basically identical, with the RZ series having better build, and supporting RS232/IR connections? The RZ was twice as expensive, but with the NR585, the price of RZ620 appears to have been dropped to match it. Does the new NR585 have any feature not already supported in RZ620?

Long story:

So I have an ancient Sony STR-DG920 from 2008 for my home theater with a projector. At the time it was cutting edge for the price. Now it is dropping audio once in a while. I am just going to replace it.

From my research, it appears that the new TX-NR585 is inexpensive, yet supports almost everything I need for my home theater. I do plan to upgrade to a 4K projector with HDR when the time is right. But for now, I'll get a compatible receiver first.

Just when I was about to click on "Buy", I found that TX-RZ620 was one of the best selling receiver in 2017/2018. And the price appears to have been dropped to match that of TX-NR585.

What's happening here?

I can't really find any discussion about a direct comparison of the two. But some online researches show that they are basically identical, except for the RZ's better build and additional connection support, removable power cord, plus the extra hdmi input in front and another hdmi output.

There is this thread talking about NR vs RZ, but does not directly address the two models in question: forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2842938-can-anyone-here-help-explain-differences-between-onkyo-s-nr-rz-series-avrs.html. Sorry. I can't post links as a new joiner.

I figured that I'd ask you guys here. Perhaps many of you own the RZ and can help me understand what I am losing out on, if I just go ahead and get the discounted TX-RZ620.

Thanks!
post #555 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I've been setting up my new RZ820 yesterday and today, trying to figure out all the settings and options, and getting things to work properly. One thing I haven't figured out from the speaker part of the settings menu, is the speaker impedence option. I only have a choice of 4 ohms and 6 ohms, and I'm confused why there isn't an option for 8 ohms?

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
post #556 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 PM

sb01, the default on this receiver is 6 ohm + so you are good. I'm doing the same as you and downloaded the advanced owners manual to help with some of these questions.
post #557 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
So I've had the 720 for a couple weeks now, and am enjoying it so far. I do have a couple of issues and figured I'd ask about them here.

First issue, with my Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player, I get no sound through HDMI. I think it has to do with the fact the HD-A3 can't bitstream and can only send out uncompressed PCM.But it sounds like the the way this was done has changed in the last decade and this receiver doesn't l in e the old way. Anybody have success with the HD-A3 and these receivers with HDMI or is optical my only option?

Issue two. I have a 4k TV hooked up to the first hdmi out and just added a 4k monitor to the second output for zone 2. The problem I'm having is that zone 2 seems to nerf my output abilities.

Example: My PS4 Pro has no problem putting out 4k rgb hdr at 60 hz on hdmi out 1, but on 2 it limits me to yuv 420. Destiny 2 plays ark on hdmi 1 while on 2 its 1080p (yes I know it's not true 4k anyway). Doesn't seem to be an issue with the screens or cables they all work on output 1, but not 2.

Anybody else have these issues with using zone 1 and 2 for 4k output?
post #558 of 688 Old 12-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

dont use accu eq for all speakers, just choose l+r
mine sounds better that way.
also go to speaker distance while music is playing, and adjust the distances one click at a time.
it will change it drastically sometimes
post #559 of 688 Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 317
What's your thoughts on AccuEQ to get it to calibrate the rear speakers?

Last edited by eightninesuited; 01-03-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #560 of 688 Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing75 View Post
So I've had the 720 for a couple weeks now, and am enjoying it so far. I do have a couple of issues and figured I'd ask about them here.

First issue, with my Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player, I get no sound through HDMI. I think it has to do with the fact the HD-A3 can't bitstream and can only send out uncompressed PCM.But it sounds like the the way this was done has changed in the last decade and this receiver doesn't l in e the old way. Anybody have success with the HD-A3 and these receivers with HDMI or is optical my only option?

Issue two. I have a 4k TV hooked up to the first hdmi out and just added a 4k monitor to the second output for zone 2. The problem I'm having is that zone 2 seems to nerf my output abilities.

Example: My PS4 Pro has no problem putting out 4k rgb hdr at 60 hz on hdmi out 1, but on 2 it limits me to yuv 420. Destiny 2 plays ark on hdmi 1 while on 2 its 1080p (yes I know it's not true 4k anyway). Doesn't seem to be an issue with the screens or cables they all work on output 1, but not 2.

Anybody else have these issues with using zone 1 and 2 for 4k output?
I also have this issue. If I choose the same input for Zone 2, both step down to 1080p.

This is straight from their spec sheet:

"A 4k and HDCP 2.2/HDR-compatible Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to enjoy AV sources connected to the receiver in another room."

How?

Another question I have is can you only output audio via HDMI for Zone 2 so this doesn't happen? I do need the same source. Read somewhere that there is a "monitor" option but I can't find it. (This is running to an HDMI input on another amp in the other room)

Last edited by Boofster; 01-05-2019 at 12:23 AM.
post #561 of 688 Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
thanks
john
My guess is either incomplete HDMI Handshake (happens with my Denon and AppleTV pretty often, sound but no video) or an incompatibility with the HDMI spec (2.0) or HDCP (2.2). I looked at the back of some of the newer Onkyos and the dual HDMI outputs say either nothing or "4K/HDR-HDCP 2.2" meaning that only one HDMI output is fully spec'd, the other can be used on older legacy displays. You might try changing the outputs to your display to see if this solves your problem. (I've recently had problems with a Roku stick and NAD 787v3 that weren't the same HDCP compliance levels-changing inputs then changing back always fixes my problem...another possibly solution for you).

Hope this helps.
johnniedoo likes this.
post #562 of 688 Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I'm hearing impaired and looking for a receiver with a user adjustable equalizer, so I can adjust it to compensate for my hearing loss. Does the 620 do this? Maybe thru the app?

I have very nice hearing aids from the VA, but I have one memory setting in my current receiver set to compensate for my hearing loss. Sometimes you just don't feel like wearing the aids.
post #563 of 688 Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
My guess is either incomplete HDMI Handshake (happens with my Denon and AppleTV pretty often, sound but no video) or an incompatibility with the HDMI spec (2.0) or HDCP (2.2). I looked at the back of some of the newer Onkyos and the dual HDMI outputs say either nothing or "4K/HDR-HDCP 2.2" meaning that only one HDMI output is fully spec'd, the other can be used on older legacy displays. You might try changing the outputs to your display to see if this solves your problem. (I've recently had problems with a Roku stick and NAD 787v3 that weren't the same HDCP compliance levels-changing inputs then changing back always fixes my problem...another possibly solution for you).

Hope this helps.
thanks , this did help me to get to the bottom of the issue and, i believe it is a combination of those 'incompatible' new and 6month old 'legacy' standards. I found that my tcl roku tv allow for assigning some limited changes to the hdmi ports, only 2.0, 1.4 or auto. auto doesnt work or times out before the handshake between the onkyo, cable box and arc port connect. i can make the audio come through only when i select hdmi 1.4 for that that main input arc . auto doesnt work as advertised on the tv. i am guessing this. but after doing this manual set up or configuration i get it to work properly. or , at least it plays audio and video without needing to connect the cable box directly to the tv, which works . i tried the auto for that tcl hdmi input and it worked once ,failed the 2nd time on auto but worked 2 times with 1.4 selected in the tcl. so far onkyo has been pretty good , software gets slow as can be sometimes but a reboot sets it straight. i should note that i am still playing with settings and may cause some slow downs with my testing trial and error. thank you for your suggestions
john

post #564 of 688 Old 01-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by US_Male View Post
I'm hearing impaired and looking for a receiver with a user adjustable equalizer, so I can adjust it to compensate for my hearing loss. Does the 620 do this? Maybe thru the app?

I have very nice hearing aids from the VA, but I have one memory setting in my current receiver set to compensate for my hearing loss. Sometimes you just don't feel like wearing the aids.

Yes, it looks like you can, there are 3 equalizer pre-sets you can set up and select. See page 47 of the basic/advanced owner's manual here: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...171219_web.pdf
post #565 of 688 Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
On 1/3/2019 Onkyo announced FW update for the AVRs TX-RZ 620, 720 and 820. BTW Onkyo strongly suggests using the USB port to update.

Last edited by Transistorious; 01-08-2019 at 03:19 AM.
post #566 of 688 Old 01-08-2019, 11:27 PM

Onkyo RZ series priority support phone line: 1-844-525-6053. I have called them several times and they have been very receptive and good to communicate with.
post #567 of 688 Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
On 1/3/2019 Onkyo announced FW update for the AVRs TX-RZ 620, 720 and 820. BTW Onkyo strongly suggests using the USB port to update.
Thanks for this. I use my 820 everyday, and it didn't even prompt me to do an update.
post #568 of 688 Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Thanks for this. I use my 820 everyday, and it didn't even prompt me to do an update.
You're welcome "Mike!"
post #569 of 688 Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post

Unless I'm misreading the site, the firmware update is from Dec.18th, and maybe just got posted officially onto the site Jan.3? Mine was already up to date, and the PDF download shows 12/18/2018 as the newest update.
post #570 of 688 Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
Unless I'm misreading the site, the firmware update is from Dec.18th, and maybe just got posted officially onto the site Jan.3? Mine was already up to date, and the PDF download shows 12/18/2018 as the newest update.
I keep all the firmware files I downloaded on my hard drive. The previous firmware file was named "ONKAVR0025_E70000EAEAEOEO_N_111" and date-stamped 10-11-2018.

The firmware I just downloaded is named "ONKAVR0025_E70000EAEAEOEO_N_112", and date stamped 12-18-2018, so is definitely a newer firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page