"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 688 Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
hearing specialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bakersfield California
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs up choosing display info on 820...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Pressing the Info button seems to just cycle through the different display momentarily, and it would revert back to the source and volume. I like seeing what audio track is being decoded as well but I haven't seen anything to make it stick.
Thanks for responding, crazy observation...Today all of a sudden the sound is more full and deep. Yesterday with about 7hrs of constant calibrations, experimenting with setting leaving setup exactly the same as with Integra receiver, there was clarity for days, but just seemed like volume. Without Dynamic EQ boosting low end at lower volumes I was about to pack this monster back up and return it. But, and I mean but, today sound is very very different. Full, deep, amazingly clear, and holy smokes does this beast have output. I do really enjoy being able to take a 2.0 input say on Hulu and output Dolby Digital amongst other formats and not just Dolby PLII which is still excellent but not true Dolby Digital.


Also, another crazy observation, I just remembered my userID on here from years ago when I did a little sales support for Ascend Acoustics here in California. As I get older (47) I sometimes forget how as products change our expectations really don't, they just mature. Now Dolby Vision TV is next on the list...


Brian in Bakersfield...
malmstump likes this.
hearing specialist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 688 Old 04-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Howie411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Onkyo Remotes on 2017... what happened?

So I just got a new RZ-720 to replace my ailing NR818 (yes I know that was a downgrade but I didnt need that much power anyways).

Anyways the NR818 had a nice remote with lots of buttons (worked as a universal) even had dedicated THX buttons.

The RZ-720 has about 1/3rd the buttons and if I want THX I have to cycle through like 7 things.
Howie411 is offline  
post #33 of 688 Old 04-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 368
really love the dynamic volume and always set it to light on my onkyo 818 it s almost like a bass fullness ,does the newer onkyo s have that i wonder? i do admit i i love audyssey cal and in my room it does the job ...i am looking to buy the onkyo tx-rz820 and i will only do 7.1 channels not atmos and at 699 $ that is a great deal and might even go lower as the onks 830 coming out ....again i am wondering about the accu eq and if the new onks have that dynamic volume or loudness plus or whatever you call it now a days .
really sad that there isn't a proper forum for the onkyo x20 to as or get more info

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
hearing specialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bakersfield California
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
820 reflections and non use of dynamicEQ and volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
really love the dynamic volume and always set it to light on my onkyo 818 it s almost like a bass fullness ,does the newer onkyo s have that i wonder? i do admit i i love audyssey cal and in my room it does the job ...i am looking to buy the onkyo tx-rz820 and i will only do 7.1 channels not atmos and at 699 $ that is a great deal and might even go lower as the onks 830 coming out ....again i am wondering about the accu eq and if the new onks have that dynamic volume or loudness plus or whatever you call it now a days .
really sad that there isn't a proper forum for the onkyo x20 to as or get more info
Please read my previous thoughts too with my new 820. We get very much spoiled sometimes with Audyssey DynamicEQ and Volume to get that "fullness" of sound. What I can say is this: Bi-Amp/wire the fronts to get all that this beast of a receiver can do. There is THX Loudness Plus which does what the DynamicEQ did while still allowing dynamic and full sound but only active when in THX mode. Also turn this off, when on seemed to remove any fullness of sound and dramatically made a difference turning off. Copied from manual:
􀋙 2. Dolby










Setting Item Default Value Setting Details








Loudness


Management


On When playing Dolby TrueHD, enable the dialog


normalization function which keeps the volume of


dialog at a certain level. Note that when this setting


is Off, the Late Night function that allows you to


enjoy surround at low volumes is fixed to off when


playing Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD.


"On": When this function is to be used


"Off": When this function is not to be used




malmstump likes this.
hearing specialist is offline  
post #35 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearing specialist View Post
Please read my previous thoughts too with my new 820. We get very much spoiled sometimes with Audyssey DynamicEQ and Volume to get that "fullness" of sound. What I can say is this: Bi-Amp/wire the fronts to get all that this beast of a receiver can do. There is THX Loudness Plus which does what the DynamicEQ did while still allowing dynamic and full sound but only active when in THX mode. Also turn this off, when on seemed to remove any fullness of sound and dramatically made a difference turning off. Copied from manual:
􀋙 2. Dolby










Setting Item Default Value Setting Details








Loudness


Management


On When playing Dolby TrueHD, enable the dialog


normalization function which keeps the volume of


dialog at a certain level. Note that when this setting


is Off, the Late Night function that allows you to


enjoy surround at low volumes is fixed to off when


playing Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD.


"On": When this function is to be used


"Off": When this function is not to be used




thank you sir that is great info ,much appreciated ....today's amazon deal 559 $ wow finger is hovering over the buy now buton

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is online now  
post #36 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TX-RZ820 Owner Question About Atmos

I purchased the Onkyo RZ820 I was reading the manual about Atmos and it looks like you can connect the speakers but you have to choose to either play the Atmos speakers or the back surround and that you can not play them at the same time.
Am I reading that correctly? That would seem to degrade the experience allot.
I currently use back surround and it makes a big difference when watching movies. I do not know how Atmos speakers would affect the sound experience since I have not installed them yet.
So can I play the Atmos and back surround if I add an external amplifier? I am unsure how to get the full experience out of Atmos and wanted to hear what other owners I have done with their speaker configuration.

Thank You

darkcityrider is offline  
post #37 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,460
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcityrider View Post
I purchased the Onkyo RZ820 I was reading the manual about Atmos and it looks like you can connect the speakers but you have to choose to either play the Atmos speakers or the back surround and that you can not play them at the same time.
Am I reading that correctly? That would seem to degrade the experience allot.
I currently use back surround and it makes a big difference when watching movies. I do not know how Atmos speakers would affect the sound experience since I have not installed them yet.
So can I play the Atmos and back surround if I add an external amplifier? I am unsure how to get the full experience out of Atmos and wanted to hear what other owners I have done with their speaker configuration.

Thank You

The TX-RZ820 is a 7 channel AVR. There are AVRs that can process more channels than they have power amps for, but I believe that the TX-RZ820 is not one of them. You wouldn't be able to add channels with an external amplifier.

If you want a 7.1.2 Atmos configuration, you'd need an AVR that can process 9 channels. For 7.1.4, 11 channels.

(I own a Denon AVR-X4300H that can process 11 channels. It only has 9 amps, so it requires an external amp to do 7.2.4.)
bobknavs is online now  
post #38 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Member
 
cinobyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The TX-RZ820 is a 7 channel AVR. There are AVRs that can process more channels than they have power amps for, but I believe that the TX-RZ820 is not one of them. You wouldn't be able to add channels with an external amplifier.

If you want a 7.1.2 Atmos configuration, you'd need an AVR that can process 9 channels. For 7.1.4, 11 channels.

(I own a Denon AVR-X4300H that can process 11 channels. It only has 9 amps, so it requires an external amp to do 7.2.4.)
Hum thanks for the info. I have not taken it out of the box maybe I need to return it. Thats disappointing that you cant run all the channels at the same time. I knew I may have use an external amplifier but to not have the option to run the back surround and Atmos at the same time seems to be a pretty big draw back
cinobyte is offline  
post #39 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 403
[QUOTE=hearing specialist;56118206]Please read my previous thoughts too with my new 820. We get very much spoiled sometimes with Audyssey DynamicEQ and Volume to get that "fullness" of sound. What I can say is this: Bi-Amp/wire the fronts to get all that this beast of a receiver can do. There is THX Loudness Plus which does what the DynamicEQ did while still allowing dynamic and full sound but only active when in THX mode. Also turn this off, when on seemed to remove any fullness of sound and dramatically made a difference turning off. Copied from manual:/QUOTE]


I hope you are joking.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #40 of 688 Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Member
 
cinobyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking at the 920 it supports it natively. I wonder if the price of the 920 will drop once the 730, 830, and 930 version are released..
cinobyte is offline  
post #41 of 688 Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Sdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearing specialist View Post
Please read my previous thoughts too with my new 820. We get very much spoiled sometimes with Audyssey DynamicEQ and Volume to get that "fullness" of sound. What I can say is this: Bi-Amp/wire the fronts to get all that this beast of a receiver can do.
This is no beast in my book, it can't handle my Klipsch at high volume without clipping so this is where this beast comes in😁

Emotiva xpa2 gen 3
PULSAR3002 likes this.

Last edited by Sdroid; 05-01-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Sdroid is offline  
post #42 of 688 Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal of the day. My 820 will be here on Fri.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #43 of 688 Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearing specialist View Post
I'm considering the 820 to replace my Integra 40.3 mainly the beefier 820 is appealing and cost of $599 at accessories4less and one listing on ebay same price. Question, what volume listening programs are there if they dropped the Dolby Volume??? I do sometimes use it for Netflix in Dolby Digital at say -25 to -20db. I'm also interested in the results of the AccuEQ w/AccuReflex with bypass for fronts and also the 384/32 dacs. The 820 on paper looks powerful but the Integra products are also excellent and my 40.3 puts out the muscle. Just thinking outloud here...
I have no details on the internal DACs, but I discovered the Onkyo 820 is a real winner at playing Digital Hi-Rez music files, flacs and DSD. Simply plug in the USB 3.0 external drive, select Net, USB and go from there. Set Music for 2.0 Direct Pure listening mode, crank up the volume and enjoy outstanding audio sound coming from my Klipsch Towers...Amazing!
Playing vinyl through ParasoundZ preamp, sounds awesome as well.

Play Flac (and DSD) from USB Drive on Onkyo TX-RZ820_Basic Manual Pg.20

FLAC (.flac/.FLAC):
Supported sampling rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz,
192 kHz
Quantization bit: 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit

DSD Supported sampling rates: 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz

HDTrack and AcousticSounds Music Downloads contain album art and tracks that's displayed on your TV

Oh...and one more thing, Dolby Atmos is a great theater experience as well.

The Onkyo TX-RZ820 does it all...love it!!!
Jeremy67J likes this.
sgibson is offline  
post #44 of 688 Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
I have no details on the internal DACs, but I discovered the Onkyo 820 is a real winner at playing Digital Hi-Rez music files, flacs and DSD. Simply plug in the USB 3.0 external drive, select Net, USB and go from there. Set Music for 2.0 Direct Pure listening mode, crank up the volume and enjoy outstanding audio sound coming from my Klipsch Towers...Amazing!
Playing vinyl through ParasoundZ preamp, sounds awesome as well.

Play Flac (and DSD) from USB Drive on Onkyo TX-RZ820_Basic Manual Pg.20

FLAC (.flac/.FLAC):
Supported sampling rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz,
192 kHz
Quantization bit: 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit

DSD Supported sampling rates: 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz

HDTrack and AcousticSounds Music Downloads contain album art and tracks that's displayed on your TV

Oh...and one more thing, Dolby Atmos is a great theater experience as well.

The Onkyo TX-RZ820 does it all...love it!!!

What Klipsch towers do you have?

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #45 of 688 Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
sgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
What Klipsch towers do you have?
Klipsch WF-35 Main Towers (set Onkyo TX-RZ820 as Stereo for Music)
Klipsch WC-24 Center Ch.
Klipsch WC-24 High Wall Surrounds & Front
Hsu VFT-2 Front L&R Subs
Jeremy67J likes this.
sgibson is offline  
post #46 of 688 Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Anyone knows if Onkyo is releasing new models soon RZ-x30 it seems?
If Onkyo's typical time line is still being followed then: Official announcement will be this month (May) with shipping/availability in the Aug/Sep timeframe. Flagships would follow late in the year.

Maybe not. With Denon's 8500 flagship currently leading the way with 13 channels in a single chassis, it would not be totally unexpected that new mid range AVRs would go from the current 7 channels to 9 channels. I would also expect Onkyo's 920 and 1100 to go to 11 channels and the 3100 to go to at least 13 channels.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 05-03-2018 at 07:40 PM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #47 of 688 Old 05-03-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinobyte View Post
Looking at the 920 it supports it natively. I wonder if the price of the 920 will drop once the 730, 830, and 930 version are released..
The 920 is already being discounted aggressively by Onkyo authorized online dealers...careful shopping should easily net 20% and more from MSRP.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #48 of 688 Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
What Klipsch towers do you have?
The Klipsch speakers sgibson have are 7-8 year old series/models and are no longer available...unless you shop eBay or CL. Alternatively, the equivalent series/model today is the R-26F.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...rs?model=r-26f
Jeremy67J likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #49 of 688 Old 05-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
The Klipsch speakers sgibson have are 7-8 year old series/models and are no longer available...unless you shop eBay or CL. Alternatively, the equivalent series/model today is the R-26F.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...rs?model=r-26f

Yeah I just wondered. I haven't met anyone else that has the same setup as me. I got mine when Newegg clearanced them out to make room for the Reference series (Not the Reference Premier).
gene4ht likes this.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #50 of 688 Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Yeah I just wondered. I haven't met anyone else that has the same setup as me. I got mine when Newegg clearanced them out to make room for the Reference series (Not the Reference Premier).
Great speakers nevertheless....just wanted to be sure it was understood that they were not currently available...in case someone wanted to buy them at this time.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #51 of 688 Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Great speakers nevertheless....just wanted to be sure it was understood that they were not currently available...in case someone wanted to buy them at this time.
Hopefully this weekend I can experiment and see what difference this receiver does or does not make when compared to my current Yamaha. I just feel like some movies seem to fall flat on their face and that they shouldn't. People keep talking about how much "punch" Onkyo receivers have and how "impactful" the base is so I'm curious to see if there really is a difference...

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #52 of 688 Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Hopefully this weekend I can experiment and see what difference this receiver does or does not make when compared to my current Yamaha. I just feel like some movies seem to fall flat on their face and that they shouldn't. People keep talking about how much "punch" Onkyo receivers have and how "impactful" the base is so I'm curious to see if there really is a difference...
Congrats on the 820...

Punch and impact can be interpreted differently by different people and what they listen to. Punch in music is a bit different than punch in movies. Since it appears you are more of a movie person, impact or the punch in the chest is the sensation provided by "mid bass" or the 50Hz - 100Hz region not to be confused with low frequency effect (LFE) below 40Hz and down to single digits. Mid bass punch is more a function of the subwoofer's design parameters, where its placed in the room, and how it is set up. Once these parameters are properly addressed, the AVR has the responsibility to provide a large, fast, instantaneous, on demand signal to the sub. This is primarily the domain of the AVR's power supply and amps. The beefier the power supply and the more efficient the amps are...the more bass impact and punch. Classic Onkyo's have long been known for this characteristic. Although the newer Onkyo RZ series of AVRs presumably have newly designed power supplies and amps due to Pioneer's influence, most owners agree that the Onkyo's classic sound signature is alive and well. I will leave comparisons to those who have owned Yamaha and migrated to current RZs to comment on differences in performance.

Just curious...what movie titles do you feel lack bass impact from your Yamaha?
Jeremy67J likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #53 of 688 Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Congrats on the 820...

Punch and impact can be interpreted differently by different people and what they listen to. Punch in music is a bit different than punch in movies. Since it appears you are more of a movie person, impact or the punch in the chest is the sensation provided by "mid bass" or the 50Hz - 100Hz region not to be confused with low frequency effect (LFE) below 40Hz and down to single digits. Mid bass punch is more a function of the subwoofer's design parameters, where its placed in the room, and how it is set up. Once these parameters are properly addressed, the AVR has the responsibility to provide a large, fast, instantaneous, on demand signal to the sub. This is primarily the domain of the AVR's power supply and amps. The beefier the power supply and the more efficient the amps are...the more bass impact and punch. Classic Onkyo's have long been known for this characteristic. Although the newer Onkyo RZ series of AVRs presumably have newly designed power supplies and amps due to Pioneer's influence, most owners agree that the Onkyo's classic sound signature is alive and well. I will leave comparisons to those who have owned Yamaha and migrated to current RZs to comment on differences in performance.

Just curious...what movie titles do you feel lack bass impact from your Yamaha?
So I have to say so far I'm impressed. My wife and I watched Despicable Me 3 (DTS HD-MA with the THX Cinema Mode on the AVR) and I really liked the response. I was shocked how much more bass my system had. As a matter off fact I watched some of the scenes repeatedly and then swapped back to the Yamaha and there was noticeable difference. Not sure if you have seen that movie, but the scene towards the end where Bratt is inside the giant robot was much more intense. The giant robot's footsteps where much heavier (impactful) with the Onkyo; as well as the explosions and the giant laser. Something else I noticed was the dialogue levels vs the actions scenes. I have long noticed with the Yamaha that in order for me to have action scenes sound the way I'm looking for them to sound the system volume has to be up loud enough that scenes with dialogue sound like they are yelling from the center channel; basically the volumes didn't seem very dynamic. I noticed this weekend with the Onkyo on THX Cinema that dialogue scenes sounded like a conversation as they were portraying, but then action scenes became loud and visceral. i.e. quiet was quiet and loud was loud vs everything being either quiet or loud. I also watched Warcraft and received the same result. The volume seemed very dynamic. I was impressed. I hadn't really felt like I was getting that out of the Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad receiver. It just didn't make movies sound the way I thought they should. I'm probably going to watch Tron Legacy tonight. Should be interesting to see how that sounds. I'm quite excited. I think it will be very dynamic. Oh, we also watched Greatest Showman this weekend. We did notice that the vocals seemed a little weak so I turned the center channel up +4db and it sounded fine. Perhaps it was just the way it was mixed on the Blu Ray. No real complaints from my, but my wife was a little annoyed.


I tell you one thing, I do prefer the Yamaha controller application. I think it functions a little better and is a little easier to use. I also listened to a few music tracks this weekend and I kind of think that music sounded better on the Yamaha, but I didn't do any thorough testing. I hardly ever listen to music inside with my system anyways so not that important to me. When I do listen to music its with Zone 2 in my garage so I'm usually working on a car or something and the music is in the background and not the focus so it isn't that critical. Plus my garage isn't exactly a music hall so whatever lol. I'm just listening for the distraction.


Also, to give you more insight my living room is 4300 cubic feet. That doesn't take into account there is a large opening to my kitchen and there is no divide between my living room and dining room. So, to say my living room is 4300 cubic feet is actually an understatement. From everything I've ready my 10" 200w sub is way underpowered for my room. However, when watching both Despicable Me 3 and Warcraft I could actually feel the bass. That's not something I've felt before with any movie I have watched so my only conclusion is it has to be the receiver because that's all that changed. I didn't move anything.
gene4ht likes this.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #54 of 688 Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Also, to give you more insight my living room is 4300 cubic feet. That doesn't take into account there is a large opening to my kitchen and there is no divide between my living room and dining room. So, to say my living room is 4300 cubic feet is actually an understatement. From everything I've ready my 10" 200w sub is way underpowered for my room. However, when watching both Despicable Me 3 and Warcraft I could actually feel the bass. That's not something I've felt before with any movie I have watched so my only conclusion is it has to be the receiver because that's all that changed. I didn't move anything.
Glad you were able to discern the differences between the two AVRs. There are two comments I would make: (1) You have discovered what owners of Onkyo's have always known, appreciated, and liked for many years...Onkyo's overall sound signature is very "dynamic" and bass performance is strong and powerful and (2) the next major improvement, particular for the size of your room, will be a subwoofer upgrade. You will be amazed at how a good 12" or 15" ID subwoofer (HSU, PSA, SVS, Rythmik) will transform your experience. What you've read is correct, a 10" sub is insufficient for 4300cf room...a room that size calls absolutely "minimally" for a good 12" sub and better yet...dual 12" subs. Once you've experience dual 12's, you'll likely upgrade to even larger. Hint/Tip: Do not allow subwoofer size, appearance/aesthetics, or perceived placement limitations deter you...the goal is audio/sonic quality. See you in the subwoofer threads!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #55 of 688 Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Glad you were able to discern the differences between the two AVRs. There are two comments I would make: (1) You have discovered what owners of Onkyo's have always known, appreciated, and liked for many years...Onkyo's overall sound signature is very "dynamic" and bass performance is strong and powerful and (2) the next major improvement, particular for the size of your room, will be a subwoofer upgrade. You will be amazed at how a good 12" or 15" ID subwoofer (HSU, PSA, SVS, Rythmik) will transform your experience. What you've read is correct, a 10" sub is insufficient for 4300cf room...a room that size calls absolutely "minimally" for a good 12" sub and better yet...dual 12" subs. Once you've experience dual 12's, you'll likely upgrade to even larger. Hint/Tip: Do not allow subwoofer size, appearance/aesthetics, or perceived placement limitations deter you...the goal is audio/sonic quality. See you in the subwoofer threads!

Yeah, talk about a sigh of relief I was able to discern a distinct difference in sound (for the better). I was hemming and hawing for quite some time about whether or not to buy a new receiver and would it really make a difference? I had been looking at the Onkyo 820 and the Denon 4400H. I do like some of the features of the Denon, but I the price was better on the Onkyo. Especially considering I got it as an Amazon Deal of the Day! I had also read on Onkyo's website how they marketed their receivers and "dynamic" and with all the THX stuff and really wondered was it marketing hype or legit? I am convinced it is in fact legit and not marketing hype. So yeah, so far I'm very pleased. Now I just need to sell my old receiver to help offset the cost.


And funny you should mention the subwoofer. I have been thinking for some time about upgrading to the HSU VTF3-MK5. It is a little less expensive than the VTF15-MK2 and it looks better and delivers virtually the same performance and the reviews are fantastic. A friend of mine just upgraded to dual PB-2000s and its incredible. However, my wife would kill me if I ordered 2 subs; but she is ok with me ordering a single sub, but wants me to sell some of my other equipment first. (I have Klipsch HD Theater 500 and my old receiver to sell). Its just unfortunate its hard to sell stereo equipment.


Also, earlier you mentioned the "power" coming off the receiver to the sub and what a difference it makes. Question, what difference does it make??? The subs have their own power supplies so what does it matter how much power a receiver has as it pertains to a sub? The receiver isn't sending "power" to the sub is it? I thought its just sending a low power signal and then the sub's power supply does all the work? The only reason my Onkyo has more power as it pertains to the sub is because its telling it to play more bass than my Yamaha did right? (because I noticed my 10" sub sounded better and was outputting more and cleaner bass than ever before. Quite shocking. It actually made me think maybe I don't need to upgrade now lol).

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #56 of 688 Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Yeah, talk about a sigh of relief I was able to discern a distinct difference in sound (for the better). I was hemming and hawing for quite some time about whether or not to buy a new receiver and would it really make a difference? I had been looking at the Onkyo 820 and the Denon 4400H. I do like some of the features of the Denon, but I the price was better on the Onkyo. Especially considering I got it as an Amazon Deal of the Day! I had also read on Onkyo's website how they marketed their receivers and "dynamic" and with all the THX stuff and really wondered was it marketing hype or legit? I am convinced it is in fact legit and not marketing hype. So yeah, so far I'm very pleased. Now I just need to sell my old receiver to help offset the cost.
Some people feel AVRs and amps all sound the same...others can and do hear a difference. I believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs. Like yourself, given all things being equal, I do hear a difference. I've auditioned many Onkyo's and Denon's over the years. In the past, I've owned both as they have had features and sound qualities I've liked. However, with recent models, I too have found that Denon's have a few more desirable features but the Onkyo's definitively had better sound qualities...cleaner, clearer, crisper, and overall more dynamic. For me the decision was actually simple...in the long term when watching movies, which is more important...a couple of bells and whistles or how a movie sounds over the course of two hours. The 820 is a "no brainer" particularly because of the Amazon deal. IMO, you have the better AVR and the difference in price will buy you a high end 4K UHD player or put you well on your way to upgrading your sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
And funny you should mention the subwoofer. I have been thinking for some time about upgrading to the HSU VTF3-MK5. It is a little less expensive than the VTF15-MK2 and it looks better and delivers virtually the same performance and the reviews are fantastic. A friend of mine just upgraded to dual PB-2000s and its incredible. However, my wife would kill me if I ordered 2 subs; but she is ok with me ordering a single sub, but wants me to sell some of my other equipment first. (I have Klipsch HD Theater 500 and my old receiver to sell). Its just unfortunate its hard to sell stereo equipment.
The HSU subs are rated very well and are popular as are many of the other ID subs. Major advantages of the SVS subs, for instance, are its superior customer service and it's Bill of Rights enabling you to audition subs risk and cost free in your home and its liberal trade in and trade up policy...your friend can provide more detail. Regardless of your decision, most enthusiasts start with one sub and upgrade later to two subs as budget permits. After your wife receives a piece of nice jewelry or returns from a nice vacation, she'll be more receptive to dual subs. You've already saved a great deal with the 820. And I've always been able to sell my older equipment on CL...it just takes a little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Also, earlier you mentioned the "power" coming off the receiver to the sub and what a difference it makes. Question, what difference does it make??? The subs have their own power supplies so what does it matter how much power a receiver has as it pertains to a sub? The receiver isn't sending "power" to the sub is it? I thought its just sending a low power signal and then the sub's power supply does all the work? The only reason my Onkyo has more power as it pertains to the sub is because its telling it to play more bass than my Yamaha did right? (because I noticed my 10" sub sounded better and was outputting more and cleaner bass than ever before. Quite shocking. It actually made me think maybe I don't need to upgrade now lol).
Yes...the sub's own power supply is responsible for SPL (how loud) the sub can play. I'm not a SME but I surmise that the amount/strength and quickness of the low level signal from the AVR determines how punchy and impactful the sub responds. And the AVR's power supply (the size and beefiness of the transformer and power supply capacitors) determine how quickly the AVR delivers the bass signals to the sub's power supply...hence the greater punch. At any rate, you and I can attest to the fact that all other things being equal, switching only the AVR in and out of the system results in differences in sound quality and signature that are either more favorable or less favorable to our ears...bottom line.
Jeremy67J likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #57 of 688 Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just a Just a new guy here, I finally got an Onkyo AVR, TX-RZ820, always wanted an onkyo reciever but really couldn't afford one. Can cross that off my bucket list.
Been using JVC receivers for the past 20+ years, I just recently ESD my last receiver, that is the reason I finally got my Onkyo!

Not fully set up yet, but plan on the 5.1 configuration. Did alot of reading on here before I purchased my first subwoofer for a HT setup, I am going with the SVS SB-1000
I'll have older KLH front speakers (model 51) KLH center and surrounds.

When I had the JVC receiver and the above mentioned speakers, all the bass came out of the front speakers. When I hooked up the front speakers up to the Onkyo front, it don't
produce the amount of bass as previous set up and I realize that, thats why Onkyo AVR has seperate Subwoofer channel to take care of that.

I'm hoping to get the sound I want. I do have one general question in mind if someone cares to answer it.

Does any know why it don't start putting out power till you get into the 59.0 volume range? At about 24.0 volume range you can barely hearing anything?
Are my expectations high of that it be putting out good volume at lower range?

Give me a shout in PM if any cares to answer.

But overall I think I'm gong to like this Onk
DoubleZeroSeven is offline  
post #58 of 688 Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroSeven View Post
Just a Just a new guy here, I finally got an Onkyo AVR, TX-RZ820, always wanted an onkyo reciever but really couldn't afford one. Can cross that off my bucket list.
Been using JVC receivers for the past 20+ years, I just recently ESD my last receiver, that is the reason I finally got my Onkyo!

Not fully set up yet, but plan on the 5.1 configuration. Did alot of reading on here before I purchased my first subwoofer for a HT setup, I am going with the SVS SB-1000
I'll have older KLH front speakers (model 51) KLH center and surrounds.

When I had the JVC receiver and the above mentioned speakers, all the bass came out of the front speakers. When I hooked up the front speakers up to the Onkyo front, it don't
produce the amount of bass as previous set up and I realize that, thats why Onkyo AVR has seperate Subwoofer channel to take care of that.

I'm hoping to get the sound I want. I do have one general question in mind if someone cares to answer it.

Does any know why it don't start putting out power till you get into the 59.0 volume range? At about 24.0 volume range you can barely hearing anything?
Are my expectations high of that it be putting out good volume at lower range?

Give me a shout in PM if any cares to answer.

But overall I think I'm gong to like this Onk

Is your receiver volume set to relative or absolute? (Are the numbers negative or positive?)

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #59 of 688 Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Is your receiver volume set to relative or absolute? (Are the numbers negative or positive?)
They positive. The display will got from 'min' all the way up to '99'. I haven't hit '99' got it to about '80' and that was loud enough.
DoubleZeroSeven is offline  
post #60 of 688 Old 05-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroSeven View Post
They positive. The display will got from 'min' all the way up to '99'. I haven't hit '99' got it to about '80' and that was loud enough.
Ok, so you're on the absolute scale if the numbers are positive. I don't think its an exact correlation to decibels (but maybe it is?)... Either way its close enough... A normal conversation is 60 decibels. So, if your volume is on 24 then you literally have it set to what would be considered a whisper which is why you can barely hear it. At 59 you're now in the neighborhood of listening to the TV at conversational levels. Keep in mind you're probably sitting 10-12' away from the TV, but a typical conversation occurs with someone being only 3' away from you so it is going to sound quiet.


For what its worth I would recommend switching your receiver to relative mode. It will make the numbers negative. Those negative numbers will be decibels below reference volume. Reference is what the track was mixed at in the studio. i.e. reference volume is what plays in a movie theater. You can read all about it on here and elsewhere. So for me, I watch TV shows around -30 and movies around -25 to -20.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off