"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #601 of 688 Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Durepeau View Post
Just purchased a 820 have a few questions is it worth getting a laptop cooling pad to put on top of it to help dissipate heat? I also want to know if this amp can do 3D I have read that no it does not and yes it does anyone know for sure? The 810 that I tried purchasing fell through so I got the 820 and the 810 does 3D so why would the 820 not?
1. Question #1 :
You ask if an A/V cooler is necessary? IMHO to be safe I would use it if you have a minimum of THREE inches clearance. However, if you have THREE inches clearance but plenty of ventilation to the right or left of the AVR of one foot or more then you do not need it. I replaced the Onkyo TX-SR875 with the TX-RZ820. Quite frankly the 875 got brutally hot so I bought the Antec A/V cooler which is relatively quiet. The 820 on the other hand does not even get mildly warm. I must point-out that my AVR has lots of ventilation room. Sometimes I have forgotten to plug the A/V cooler. After two or three hours of operation the the 820 again did not feel not even mildly warm.
2. Question #2 :
Does the TX-RZ820 support 3D?

I called the Onkyo TX-RZ dedicated phone line prior to this posting. The Onkyo rep unequivocally stated NO. I also asked about the Onkyo TX-RZ810 and the answer was also NO.
I hope the responses satisfy you.
Thanks

Last edited by Transistorious; 02-09-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 688 Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Durepeau View Post
Just purchased a 820 have a few questions is it worth getting a laptop cooling pad to put on top of it to help dissipate heat? I also want to know if this amp can do 3D I have read that no it does not and yes it does anyone know for sure? The 810 that I tried purchasing fell through so I got the 820 and the 810 does 3D so why would the 820 not?
As to 3D support, Onkyo's own feature list for the RZ line includes 3D. 3D is also listed under HDMI support in the advanced section of the online owners manual under specifications on pages 3 and HDMI properties on page 4. The following is a quote from page 4.

3D:
You can transmit 3D video signals from AV components to
the TV.

This makes sense since anything other than analog video is passed through unaltered. So, this would include 3D as well as other digital video content types like HDR, Dolby Vision. I may be oversimplifying, but for HDMI video, the receiver is just acting as an HDMI switch. It does no upscaling or processing of digital video.

LG 65LA9650 (upgraded), Onkyo TX-RZ720
ADS L520 fronts, JBL L8400P sub, BIC Acoustech PL-26 center, Mirage Omnisat V2 surrs
NVIDIA Shield Android TV box
JVC HM-DH30000U
Sony UBP-X800
post #603 of 688 Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, I just purchased the 820 and I am waiting for delivery with excitement. some of the reasons I went with this model, 1- higher power output, 2-pre outs, 3-better quality internal components 4-VLSC on all channels 5-better multi room support with built in amps. 6-Nice looking case with better build quality.

I dont know how all these features will pan out but we shall see. This is replacing a Yamaha RX-V673 that had the problem of losing sound on all HDMI channels (this is a common problem with the Texas Instruments DSP chip on the HDMI processing board).- I was very disappointed with that as I only got 4 years out of that receiver. But on the bright side it let me get in to Atmos so its not all bad.

I am using deftech BP20s with a BP 2000 center (as I recall) up front and Deftech BPXs in the rear with a Sunfire mark 2 sub in a 5.1 setup.

I still like the sound of the Deftech's but I am not really sure what I can us as a presence speaker that would timber match the rest of the speakers.

I suppose I just need to rewind time on the interweb and see what was out at the time that might timber match those. UNLESS somebody out there has already done that - if so give me a shout!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 688 Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandunham View Post
Hello all, I just purchased the 820 and I am waiting for delivery with excitement. some of the reasons I went with this model, 1- higher power output, 2-pre outs, 3-better quality internal components 4-VLSC on all channels 5-better multi room support with built in amps. 6-Nice looking case with better build quality.

I dont know how all these features will pan out but we shall see. This is replacing a Yamaha RX-V673 that had the problem of losing sound on all HDMI channels (this is a common problem with the Texas Instruments DSP chip on the HDMI processing board).- I was very disappointed with that as I only got 4 years out of that receiver. But on the bright side it let me get in to Atmos so its not all bad.

I am using deftech BP20s with a BP 2000 center (as I recall) up front and Deftech BPXs in the rear with a Sunfire mark 2 sub in a 5.1 setup.

I still like the sound of the Deftech's but I am not really sure what I can us as a presence speaker that would timber match the rest of the speakers.

I suppose I just need to rewind time on the interweb and see what was out at the time that might timber match those. UNLESS somebody out there has already done that - if so give me a shout!
You can use pretty much any speaker for presence effects. They don't need to be timbre matched.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #605 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have my rz820 hooked up to 24 year old Front Deftech BP2000 | Center C/L/R2000 | Surround BP2 and am using Energy Take 5 satellites as my presence speakers (pointed up to ceiling) and I like the overall sound. I'm no atmos expert but the minor timbre imbalance seem irrelevant. Of course I'm using bipolar surrounds instead of dipole surrounds, so you may decide that my opinion is worth even less than you paid for it.

Off Topic: It's time to retire the old deftech warhorses but I don't really want to spend the money required to get something that would be a clear improvement.
post #606 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyApuzzo View Post
I have my rz820 hooked up to 24 year old Front Deftech BP2000 | Center C/L/R2000 | Surround BP2 and am using Energy Take 5 satellites as my presence speakers (pointed up to ceiling) and I like the overall sound. I'm no atmos expert but the minor timbre imbalance seem irrelevant. Of course I'm using bipolar surrounds instead of dipole surrounds, so you may decide that my opinion is worth even less than you paid for it.
Any slight differences are irrelevant! To date, Atmos ambient effects are not demanding....i.e. rain, wind, birds, insects, etc. sounds the same on a $50 speaker as it does on a $500 speaker. Many folks spend huge $$$ for high end Atmos speakers to match the quality, cost, and timbre of their mains...IMO, absolutely unnecessary.

Also, bipole surrounds are recommended for Atmos...dipoles are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyApuzzo View Post
Off Topic: It's time to retire the old deftech warhorses but I don't really want to spend the money required to get something that would be a clear improvement.
Why? If you're still happy with them...keep'em! The conventional wisdom concerning speakers is still true. Speaker technology and performance has changed very little over the decades and hold their value very well...we have pretty/fancy boxes and finishes now but not a corresponding improvement in performance. Of course the sales/marketing folks will likely beg to differ...they have to sell speakers!
TonyApuzzo likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-12-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
post #607 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@TonyApuzzo ...in case you're not aware, here's a bit of trivia for you...Sandy Gross was co-founder of Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, and now Golden Ear. All three are successful lines. As I mentioned...different boxes/clothing and maybe newer materials but sound quality and performance hasn't changed appreciably over the last few decades. Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #608 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just ordered the 820 due to a silly good price. While I have seen hdmi onkyo issues what is the consensus on the 820?

I really wanted the dual video output.
post #609 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
I just ordered the 820 due to a silly good price. While I have seen hdmi onkyo issues what is the consensus on the 820?

Many of the HDMI issues (across all brands) were attributed to a specific Texas Instruments (TI) chip. Some have speculated that excessive heat also contributed to the failures. In any case, failures have diminished as manufacturers have since addressed and seemingly eliminated these factors. Even so, HDMI interface and board issues continue to be occasionally seen. Additionally, HDMI is far from a foolproof (yet) interface technology as there are still compatibility, cable, and handshake issues that plague interoperability. Although I do not own an 820, I have had a 920 for about a year now and I have not experienced any HDMI related issues. Bottom line as to your question: IMO, the 820 is no more or less susceptible to an HDMI failure as any other AVR...Onkyo or another brand. Perhaps owners of the 820 will chime in with their experience.

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-12-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #610 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

If it's as reliable as my 810 has been, you'll have no problems. They're almost identical.

Infinity Compositions Overture 3
Infinity Interlude IL60
Infinity Reference R162
post #611 of 688 Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Thank you all for all the input! Its good to hear I dont have to go crazy with the overheads.
I will update when i get things set up and running.
post #612 of 688 Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I may have a work around for the privacy policy that you have to decline every time (for the two other people here who actually care). I have a universal remote called a Neeo (my friend says his Harmony will do this too). The remote is capable of sending individual commands as part of a recipe as well as starting the components. So in every recipe that starts the AVR, I have it wait 5 seconds, then cursor down, then cursor enter and then proceed with the rest of the set up. It's working for me until something goes wrong . . . and I know it eventually will.

Now I just have to figure out how to get their stupid app to sent audio to zone 2. I don't like this app.
post #613 of 688 Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Is it not possible to edit a post in this forum?
post #614 of 688 Old 02-20-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Onk RZ-820

Hello!

Does anyone know if I would be able to hook a 2TB HDD with its own power supply to this AVR. A little less than 5,000 files (CDs), FAT 32, FLAC. I want to hook up via USB and use the Onk app to navigate files. Thanks in advance.
post #615 of 688 Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Spotify question: I just got a secondhand RZ620. Factory reset and updated to the latest firmware. Receiver is on hardwired ethernet. When I select Spotify on the receiver, the app on my phone can't find it. I was able to get around that by activating chromecast, and now Spotify can cast to it. But it usually takes ~20 seconds for it to connect and start casting music. Not the end of the world, but not as it should be either.

I called tech support and after troubleshooting they said the issue probably lied with the Spotify app. So I'm here to ask you guys if Spotify works seamlessly, or if your experience is similar to mine.

Thanks for your input!
post #616 of 688 Old 02-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deronb1 View Post
Hello!

Does anyone know if I would be able to hook a 2TB HDD with its own power supply to this AVR. A little less than 5,000 files (CDs), FAT 32, FLAC. I want to hook up via USB and use the Onk app to navigate files. Thanks in advance.
I have no problem doing that with my 810. But my drive is powered through the USB port. Shouldn't make any difference. Plays all my FLAC, WAV, ALAC, MP3 files.

Infinity Interlude IL60
Infinity Reference R162
post #617 of 688 Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvpb View Post
Spotify question: I just got a secondhand RZ620. Factory reset and updated to the latest firmware. Receiver is on hardwired ethernet. When I select Spotify on the receiver, the app on my phone can't find it. I was able to get around that by activating chromecast, and now Spotify can cast to it. But it usually takes ~20 seconds for it to connect and start casting music. Not the end of the world, but not as it should be either.

I called tech support and after troubleshooting they said the issue probably lied with the Spotify app. So I'm here to ask you guys if Spotify works seamlessly, or if your experience is similar to mine.

Thanks for your input!
I was able to use Pandora in Zone 2 from the Rx with no problem. But when I tried Spotify. . . nada. I haven't diagnosed it much though.
post #618 of 688 Old 02-24-2019, 07:37 AM

I guess what I am asking is, can this unit read nearly 5k files?
post #619 of 688 Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deronb1 View Post
I guess what I am asking is, can this unit read nearly 5k files?
I just did a file count in the music folder on my portable hard drive. Approximately 50,000 files. The receiver can drill down and read them all.

Infinity Interlude IL60
Infinity Reference R162
post #620 of 688 Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Should I buy one? Amazon.com Suggests poor reliability.

Hi Everyone.

I have the opportunity to upgrade my TX-NR656 to the RZ820. Looks like a beast!! However, some of the reviews over at the amazon.com page for the 820 scare me.

Any thoughts here to ease my mind? Should I do it?
post #621 of 688 Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post
Hi Everyone.

I have the opportunity to upgrade my TX-NR656 to the RZ820. Looks like a beast!! However, some of the reviews over at the amazon.com page for the 820 scare me.

Any thoughts here to ease my mind? Should I do it?
If you qualify for this deal...skip the 820 and get the 830 for $499...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-g...ect-onkyo.html

post #622 of 688 Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
If you qualify for this deal...skip the 820 and get the 830 for $499...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-g...ect-onkyo.html

I wish. I don't think it will be available to me in Canada.
post #623 of 688 Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
TX-RZ720 vs. TX-NR777 Badge Engineering?

Just received my new TX-RZ720, after much mulling what to get, particularly vs. the TX-NR777. Decided for $60 more 'what the heck".

But really curious, has anyone actually looked at the innards to see if they are really different and we aren't seeing an example of Badge Engineering?

The specs, two-sheet flyers, manuals, back and front layout seem so identical I really wonder. Thanks!

Chris
post #624 of 688 Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Onkyo TX-RZ720 - trouble streaming AAC audio

Hi,

I'm streaming Frisky Radio via TuneIn on my Onkyo TX-RZ720. The Onkyo connects to TuneIn via the device code, not username/password. In the past this stream has worked without issue. Recently though it started to pause at random times for a period of time. This period is generally small, a few seconds, but could be longer. There could be a few of these pauses in a short period of time and then uninterrupted steaming for a much longer period of time, before the next pause. It just seems to be random.

Nothing about my setup has changed between the time that streaming was perfect to the start of the intermittent streaming pauses. In trying to understand where and why this is happening, I have:

- Tested using a wired LAN cable to eliminate WiFi issues - no difference.
- Removed this device from my TuneIn account and re-added it back - no difference.
- Updated from the previous firmware version to the newest - the pausing issues was/is present on both firmware versions.
- Tried the other streams for this radio service - switching from AAC (the default) to MP3 makes the issue go away.

This last point is the only way I can fix it. It's a little annoying since I have to manually switch to MP3 every time I start the stream, since AAC is the default. I've checked a few other stations but they only have MP3 sources, so I'm unable to reproduce this elsewhere. The web browser streaming also has no pauses, but I'm unsure what format this is, and don't seem to have the option to change streaming formats.

I don't know why this radio station used to work fine. It could be that the MP3 stream used to be the default, and it got changed to default to AAC. Or maybe AAC has been recently added? I didn't note the stream format when I had no issues as there was no need to pay attention to such details.

I can only think that the Onkyo TX-RZ720 has issues with correct playback of AAC streaming. Is this a known issue? Could it be something else? I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks
post #625 of 688 Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnz View Post
Hi,

I'm streaming Frisky Radio via TuneIn on my Onkyo TX-RZ720. The Onkyo connects to TuneIn via the device code, not username/password. In the past this stream has worked without issue. Recently though it started to pause at random times for a period of time. This period is generally small, a few seconds, but could be longer. There could be a few of these pauses in a short period of time and then uninterrupted steaming for a much longer period of time, before the next pause. It just seems to be random.

Nothing about my setup has changed between the time that streaming was perfect to the start of the intermittent streaming pauses. In trying to understand where and why this is happening, I have:

- Tested using a wired LAN cable to eliminate WiFi issues - no difference.
- Removed this device from my TuneIn account and re-added it back - no difference.
- Updated from the previous firmware version to the newest - the pausing issues was/is present on both firmware versions.
- Tried the other streams for this radio service - switching from AAC (the default) to MP3 makes the issue go away.

This last point is the only way I can fix it. It's a little annoying since I have to manually switch to MP3 every time I start the stream, since AAC is the default. I've checked a few other stations but they only have MP3 sources, so I'm unable to reproduce this elsewhere. The web browser streaming also has no pauses, but I'm unsure what format this is, and don't seem to have the option to change streaming formats.

I don't know why this radio station used to work fine. It could be that the MP3 stream used to be the default, and it got changed to default to AAC. Or maybe AAC has been recently added? I didn't note the stream format when I had no issues as there was no need to pay attention to such details.

I can only think that the Onkyo TX-RZ720 has issues with correct playback of AAC streaming. Is this a known issue? Could it be something else? I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks
I would try some other service that can stream AAC and see what happens. if it happens streaming AAC with another app then it sounds like an issue with the AAC playback on the box. I have not compared the two on mine but I will try and do that to see what happens.
post #626 of 688 Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Liked: 1
TX-RZ720 Bi-Amp Zone 2 pre-outs? Main L+R crossover?

When using the 720 Bi-Amp connected, what signal if any appears at the Zone 2 pre-outs? The Front L and R? Nothing? Or? If something, is it variable or fixed?

And when Bi-amped, are both amplifiers for each channel, L and R, full-range, or is there a crossover applied for either the woofer or the tweeter? I don't see AccuEQ doing anything on the main LR channels, though it sets a 40Hz cutoff on the Center (3.1 setup, No subwoofer)

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by Cahudson42; 03-07-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Question
post #627 of 688 Old 03-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I would try some other service that can stream AAC and see what happens. if it happens streaming AAC with another app then it sounds like an issue with the AAC playback on the box. I have not compared the two on mine but I will try and do that to see what happens.
HEY joshnz, I used Plex to stream some local AAC content I have and had no issues at all. It was captured at the highest settings available so the bit rate was high. It streamed without lag or jitter,
post #628 of 688 Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10
Finally jumped on board with 4k only to find out my Onkyo NR709 supports 4k pass through but not HDCP 2.2, so my Roku Ultra is capped at 1080.

Looking at the RZ820 and RZ810. The 820 doesn't support 4k upscaling while the 810 does, albeit a year older. Appreciate any feedback on one over the other as there is only about a $50 difference between the two.
post #629 of 688 Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sectornine View Post
Finally jumped on board with 4k only to find out my Onkyo NR709 supports 4k pass through but not HDCP 2.2, so my Roku Ultra is capped at 1080.

Looking at the RZ820 and RZ810. The 820 doesn't support 4k upscaling while the 810 does, albeit a year older. Appreciate any feedback on one over the other as there is only about a $50 difference between the two.
You don't want your AVR to do the upscaling anyway unless it has a better chip than your TV (doubtful).
post #630 of 688 Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
HEY joshnz, I used Plex to stream some local AAC content I have and had no issues at all. It was captured at the highest settings available so the bit rate was high. It streamed without lag or jitter,
Thanks. I don't have a setup like that, but I was wondering you could test the AAC stream I'm having trouble with? It's via TuneIn radio. I can't post links yet due to not enough posts, but I'm direct message your the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page