"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #631 of 688 Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnz View Post
Thanks. I don't have a setup like that, but I was wondering you could test the AAC stream I'm having trouble with? It's via TuneIn radio. I can't post links yet due to not enough posts, but I'm direct message your the link.
Ok fine, I can't DM until I have 15 posts. It's hard to present detailed troubleshooting information for beginners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 688 Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 AM

Does anyone know of a TuneIn radio station that streams in AAC that I could test with? The others ones I've tried are MP3. Thanks
post #633 of 688 Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 AM

Nearly there to be able to post helpful details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 688 Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM

The TuneIn radio stream I'm having issues with is:

https://tunein.com/radio/FRISKY-Radio-s2107/

Once streaming, make sure it's the AAC stream by pressing the info button until the relevant details show. This stream has an alternative MP3 stream, which has no issues for me. Also, dandunham, do you have the exact same AVR as me? ( Onkyo TX-RZ720 ).

Thanks for your help
post #635 of 688 Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh977 View Post
Same thing here. I get why it clicks when the content changes from 5.1 programming to a mono/stereo commercial, but it also clicks as you have described. Could be a relay turning on a cooling fan I suppose.

Did anyone ever determine if this is normal. Its happening on my RZ-720. I never had this issue with my older NR818.
post #636 of 688 Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo TX-RZ820 Receiver & Wii Help

Hey, I just got an Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver. I am connecting my Wii to it via component cables.

According to the manual, the Wii settings need to be on 480i for the receiver to pass through the video. It also mentions that the video signal will be converted to HDMI video signals.

When I have my Wii connected directly to my TV in 480p resolution, it looks much nicer than when I have my Wii connected to my receiver in 480i resolution.
Clearly the video is not being converted to HDMI video signals.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get HMDI video signals?

Thanks
post #637 of 688 Old 03-20-2019, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
If your receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI then the Wii signal is getting there via HDMI. If you mean it's not being converted to HD, that is automatically happening also but perhaps the TV upscaler is struggling more with the 480i source as opposed to the 480P source it probably receives when the Wii is plugged directly into the TV.

Bottom line, if it looks better plugged into the TV then you may want to hook it directly into the TV and use an optical cable or ARC to get audio to the receiver. I've found that the most desirable configuration with our Wii and NR656.
post #638 of 688 Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 AM

Hi all,

Aside from my AAC streaming issues, I have a potentially more serious issue with my TX-RZ720. It will intermittently turn off. When I turn it back on it goes into diagnostic mode and reports "check sp wire". I can then turn it off and immediately back on and it will function as normal.

I've had this happen 7 times in the last year, and each time it has turned off, it's been about 10 minutes after first using it that day. After the diagnostics and restart, it will run without issue (with 1 exception, where after a further 10 minutes it did the same thing, but was fine after that second restart).

Nothing has changed. I've not touched any speaker wires or moved any cables, so I don't believe it's any sort of short circuit like the diagnostics would suggest. I also don't believe it's due to over heating, since I ran the AVR for several hours straight during the hottest day on record here, about a month ago.

Has anyone heard of or experienced similar issues? I worry that if I take it to the shop they won't find any fault since it's so very intermittent, and my warranty is about to expire.

Thanks
post #639 of 688 Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnz View Post
Hi all,

Aside from my AAC streaming issues, I have a potentially more serious issue with my TX-RZ720. It will intermittently turn off. When I turn it back on it goes into diagnostic mode and reports "check sp wire". I can then turn it off and immediately back on and it will function as normal.

I've had this happen 7 times in the last year, and each time it has turned off, it's been about 10 minutes after first using it that day. After the diagnostics and restart, it will run without issue (with 1 exception, where after a further 10 minutes it did the same thing, but was fine after that second restart).

Nothing has changed. I've not touched any speaker wires or moved any cables, so I don't believe it's any sort of short circuit like the diagnostics would suggest. I also don't believe it's due to over heating, since I ran the AVR for several hours straight during the hottest day on record here, about a month ago.

Has anyone heard of or experienced similar issues? I worry that if I take it to the shop they won't find any fault since it's so very intermittent, and my warranty is about to expire.

Thanks

I had an issue like that when I had my Denon and it eventually bricked my Receiver.

I would try unplugging every input and output (including speaker wire) to the Receiver and see if the problem continues. If not, then the speaker wire is indeed you issue and you might have to change your speaker wiring.

I also would suggest getting a ventilation fan for your Receiver. Onkyo’s tend to overheat and the heat is directly below the HDMI Board (which you really don’t want to destroy). You could even use a laptop fan if you’d like. Anything that will disperse the heat.

Lastly just have it plugged into a surge protector (If you haven’t already) to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #640 of 688 Old 03-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalker112 View Post
I would try unplugging every input and output (including speaker wire) to the Receiver and see if the problem continues. If not, then the speaker wire is indeed you issue and you might have to change your speaker wiring.
The main problem here is that it's so intermittent, and I have no reliable way to reproduce it. For example, the last time this happened was 21 March (the other day), and the last time before that was 7 Dec, last year, and the 6 Dec, etc. So unless I run it for several months with nothing plugged in, I can't be sure of anything. And I can't use the device or my speakers during that time.

Also, I can use the device for hours immediately afterwards, without touching or changing any inputs or outputs. A short circuit is a short circuit. It doesn't disappear simply by power cycling the AVR.
post #641 of 688 Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got the Onkyo TX-RZ820 Receiver. When I hook up my Super Nintendo (SNES) & Gamecube directly to the TV, the video shows up properly in 4:3.

When I hook them up to the receiver with composite cables into receiver & hdmi out of receiver into TV, I'm having issues.

For the Gamecube, the picture is converted to 16:9 so it's stretched out & looks dull
For the SNES the video keeps flashing on for less than one second & the off for a few seconds, this makes it unplayable
The audio works fine on both.

Thing is, I'm getting a new TV with only HDMI inputs. How am I supposed to use my SNES & Gamecube?

Thanks
post #642 of 688 Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4K Blue ray player not working with TX-RZ820

I have a Samsung UBD-M7500 going into my TX-RZ820 in the DVD port (HDMI 1) and then the receiver goes to my Samsung 75U8000. When I first tried it out with a standard bluray (Ender's Game) I got nothing to the TV just a blue screen. When I connected the M7500 directly to the tv it worked fine. When I reconnected to the receiver, it work for about 10 min then stopped. When I reconnected directly to the TV all i got was a blue screen. I worked with onkyo support to reset my system and it seemed to be working fine. I sent the M7500 to samsung service, it had it board replaced and I received the player back. I hooked it up through the receiver with the Ender's game bluray and had no issues. That was 1 week ago, today I put in the 4k bluray (Infinity War) and wanted to test it out. At first I did get video on the TV but it was not correct. The bluray play stated it was sending out a 4k video, the Onkyo Receiver said it was seeing 4k video, but the Samsung TV was only showing it in Standard HD. I found this odd and then tested the signal to the tv from my 4k fire stick that is connected to my receiver and that worked fine. I tried to see the 4k from my Directv box, and got nothing but a blue screen (just like the bluray player) until I hard shut down the onkyo receiver. On reboot the 4k from the directv box was fine. I then tried to have the bluray player connect directly to the tv and I got nothing again. So long winded, but could my Onkyo receiver blowing the board in my bluray player and if so what is wrong with my receiver. Anyone have any thoughts? I am out of ideas and not sure what to do.

Thanks,
post #643 of 688 Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to connect my Nintendo Wii with component cable, but I get a message telling me to switch to interlaced signal. Is it true that the Onkyo TX-RZ730 doesn't support progressive component input?
post #644 of 688 Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallek View Post
I'm trying to connect my Nintendo Wii with component cable, but I get a message telling me to switch to interlaced signal. Is it true that the Onkyo TX-RZ730 doesn't support progressive component input?
Unfortunately it's interlaced only, noted in the owner's manual.

LG 65LA9650 (upgraded), Onkyo TX-RZ720
ADS L520 fronts, JBL L8400P sub, BIC Acoustech PL-26 center, Mirage Omnisat V2 surrs
NVIDIA Shield Android TV box
JVC HM-DH30000U
Sony UBP-X800
post #645 of 688 Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, does the TX-RZ620 suffer from the hdmi board issues?

Denon AVR-X2400H - B&W LCR 60 S3 Center - B&W DM 602 S3 Fronts - Klipsch R15m Atmos Highs - TSC TSS Surrounds - B&W ASW600 S3 Subwoofer - Paradigm Monitor 9 v5 Fronts - Paradigm CC-290 v5 Center
post #646 of 688 Old 04-17-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedrifter View Post
So, does the TX-RZ620 suffer from the hdmi board issues?
Nope. The RZ series are not prone to the HDMI board issues of the past. I am sure there will be issues with all of them. But nothing stands out to me. I have an 810 upstairs and an 830 downstairs. 810 has been running for over a year with no issues. 830 a few months with no issues

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x KEF Q900's Mains, 1 x KEF Q650C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #647 of 688 Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sorry but I read on another forum a RX-Z730 owner that has the hdmi cable live unplugged because he moved is amp too much forward.
Result: the hdmi port was dead.

I will wait for the next generation equipped with hdmi 2.1 before buying an Onkyo.
My hope is that with a new generation IC the hdmi will be more robust.
I really want to buy an Onkyo since many years.
post #648 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 AM

Not sure what you mean by Unplugged" because the receiver was ro far forward, therefore the HDMI port was dead?

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x KEF Q900's Mains, 1 x KEF Q650C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #649 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got the rz820, my marantz got fried during a storm last week.
Can’t get the 12 volt trigger to turn on my emo amp on this onkyo. Has anyone had troubles with the trigger? I went in settings and changed the trigger to main, and all, but it still won’t turn on amp .
I know the older onkyos would only trigger zone 2, but I thought they finally started making the trigger work normally.
Any ideas?
post #650 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post
Sorry but I read on another forum a RX-Z730 owner that has the hdmi cable live unplugged because he moved is amp too much forward.
Result: the hdmi port was dead.

I will wait for the next generation equipped with hdmi 2.1 before buying an Onkyo.
My hope is that with a new generation IC the hdmi will be more robust.
I really want to buy an Onkyo since many years.
Not sure what you mean by Unplugged" because the receiver was to far forward, therefore the HDMI port was dead? So it was not plugged in or was pulled out causing some damage to the port? Or that it was dead because the cable was not plugged in?

Either way that would not be a design failure. Damage might occur if it was pulled out during operation.

But that has happened to me several times when hitting cables while working around the cabinet with no damage caused to the receiver. I just plugged it back in.

post #651 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Yes, the hdmi cable was unplugged by mistake when the amplifier was on. After that the hdmi port was dead.
Sorry but that is not a risk that I want to take.
post #652 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post
Yes, the hdmi cable was unplugged by mistake when the amplifier was on. After that the hdmi port was dead.

Sorry but that is not a risk that I want to take.
That risk would be inherent in any connection on any electronics. Slight but still there

post #653 of 688 Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreene1968 View Post
Can’t get the 12 volt trigger to turn on my emo amp on this onkyo. Has anyone had troubles with the trigger? I went in settings and changed the trigger to main, and all, but it still won’t turn on amp .
I know the older onkyos would only trigger zone 2, but I thought they finally started making the trigger work normally.
Any ideas?
I have a RZ820 with its 12V trigger set to turn on my Rotel RB1080, everytime the amp is turned on. No issue at all with my 12V trigger turning on my Rotel amp.
post #654 of 688 Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreene1968 View Post
Any ideas?
I have a RZ820 with its 12V trigger set to turn on my Rotel RB1080, everytime the amp is turned on. No issue at all with my 12V trigger turning on my Rotel amp.

Thanks, I was finally able to get trigger working last night, had to do a reset, then it started working, and now powers my emo amp .

Got 1 other glitch I haven’t figured out.
I have cable/Blu-ray etc plugged into receiver via hdmi. Then hdmi from receiver to tv.
When for instance I’m looking at guide on cable(tv guide) and I click on a sd channel, the screen gets all wiggly and blurry for about 10 seconds. This only seems to happen when going from a HD channel to Sd channel. Anyone run into that? The reset didn’t fix that
post #655 of 688 Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallek View Post
I should have added to my previous reply that I resolved the deficiencies in this receiver's component input by using a component to HDMI converter. These are surprisingly inexpensive. Here's the one I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPPJJ6W

LG 65LA9650 (upgraded), Onkyo TX-RZ720
ADS L520 fronts, JBL L8400P sub, BIC Acoustech PL-26 center, Mirage Omnisat V2 surrs
NVIDIA Shield Android TV box
JVC HM-DH30000U
Sony UBP-X800
post #656 of 688 Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
I have a weird issue with my 820. In any of the music 2 channel modes the image is now shifted way to the right output. Almost to the speaker connect to that output. I've swapped the L/R channels and the offset image goes with the right AVR output.

I have to sit in front of the left (output/speaker) in order to have the imaging centered. I didn't do this when it was new. I only noticed this a few months or so ago. I've tried different music, sources etc... It's even noticeable during movie/TV when the music comes from just the mains.

Any ideas or possible solutions?

Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #657 of 688 Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Here is the latest firmware update link for Onkyo TX-RX 620/720/820 AVR series dated 4/18/2019:
https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php
It took me 10 minutes to install using the USB method which Onkyo strongly recommend. The number is: 1111-3020-3060-0010. Do not remove the USB drive until the AVR turns itself OFF.
Good luck

Last edited by Transistorious; 04-27-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #658 of 688 Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I have a weird issue with my 820. In any of the music 2 channel modes the image is now shifted way to the right output. Almost to the speaker connect to that output. I've swapped the L/R channels and the offset image goes with the right AVR output.

I have to sit in front of the left (output/speaker) in order to have the imaging centered. I didn't do this when it was new. I only noticed this a few months or so ago. I've tried different music, sources etc... It's even noticeable during movie/TV when the music comes from just the mains.

Any ideas or possible solutions?

Thanks

First thing is to check that your speaker levels haven't accidentally been thrown off. Check Setup > Speaker > Level and confirm that the Left and Right speakers aren't crazily different. Sounds like you only have the problem in 2 Channel mode, so this probably won't help, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Assuming that doesn't work, then do a factory reset if you haven't already -- if that doesn't fix it, contact Onkyo Support, the first thing they'll tell you is to do a factory reset anyway :-)
post #659 of 688 Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyApuzzo View Post
First thing is to check that your speaker levels haven't accidentally been thrown off. Check Setup > Speaker > Level and confirm that the Left and Right speakers aren't crazily different. Sounds like you only have the problem in 2 Channel mode, so this probably won't help, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Assuming that doesn't work, then do a factory reset if you haven't already -- if that doesn't fix it, contact Onkyo Support, the first thing they'll tell you is to do a factory reset anyway :-)
I did the firmware update that was suggested and it seemed to help. Still seems a little off center but maybe it's my imagination at this point since it was so obvious before. I'll give it a while see how it goes. I don't listen to music that much in the room so it's not super important.

Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #660 of 688 Old 05-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk13nw View Post
Nope. The RZ series are not prone to the HDMI board issues of the past. I am sure there will be issues with all of them. But nothing stands out to me. I have an 810 upstairs and an 830 downstairs. 810 has been running for over a year with no issues. 830 a few months with no issues
I just took my 820 in to an authorized Onkyo repair center near me the other day because everything through HDMI stopped working. I tried all new cables, three different displays, and even performed a factory reset. The only way I got an image was to bypass the receiver entirely. This receiver is only 10 months old and hasn't been used much at all.

This is my third Onkyo receiver used for my home theater, and all three have had the same problem. First was a 608, first receiver I ever owned. When that one went bad I picked up a TX-NR828 locally along with an extended warranty in case I had this issue again. After just over 3 years that HDMI board went out and I was able to pick up this RZ820 for free using the warranty funds. I thought with the RZ series looking to be made with higher quality materials and a better factory warranty that I would be good for a while. Nope, still having these issue's. Really frustrated and it seems other AV receiver brands suffer from the same problem.

I picked up a cheap Sony receiver for our living room OLED setup around a year ago for just $200 and that has been flawless for my 2.1 setup. I also have a $220 5.1 Yamaha in my gaming room that has been rock solid for a year now. Time will tell if I run into the same problems on those. I'm almost ready to ditch my large floor standing speakers and 5 channel amplifier that I have in my home theater for smaller speakers and then stick to cheap receivers. Sucks that pre-outs are only included on higher end models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page