"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #751 of 764 Old 05-11-2020, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does Controller or Remote 3 App Actually Work?

Has anyone had any luck connecting either the Controller or Remote 3 iOS app with 620/720/820 RZ Series? I understand these are 2017 models, correct?

Controller datasheet (sorry can't post link) - shows "Compatible Onkyo Models Network A/V receivers launched in 2016 and later"
Remote 3 datasheet (sorry can't post link)- shows "Compatible Onkyo Models All Network A/V Receivers released during or after 2009"

I can't get Spotify Devices on a PC or in the Spotify iOS app to see the Spotify Connect app on the receiver either. Normally I would suspect a network connectivity issue. However I can access the 820 web page by browsing to the receiver's IP Address via Safari on the iPhone. This proves network connectivity.

I have updated the receive firmware to 1121-6020-3070-0011 which it says is the latest.

The only features I am really looking for is remote volume control of the 2nd zone and of course Spotify content play control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 764 Old 05-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo RZ820 network activity

I have been using my Onkyo RZ820 for a few months and am happy with it. I just installed YAMon on my Netgear router running DD-WRT firmware to see what kind of data we are using monthly on the ISP schedule. I was reviewing charts and noticed that the Onkyo seems to be communicating (both up and download) from the internet. I do have the app installed on my phone but have not turned it on in weeks (certainly not within the last day). Even still, I would only be connecting on the LAN so I'm wondering if anyone knows what is being sent/received to/from the receiver? I am going to install Wireshark and try capturing packets but thought I'd see if this has already been explored by anyone.

If it's asked/answered already, please direct me to the right thread or search terms so I can read up on the known info.

Thanks!
post #753 of 764 Old 05-12-2020, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do you stream from your receiver? Or have subscribed services like Tidal?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 764 Old 05-13-2020, 09:36 AM

I do not use any streaming services so I don't know what could be transmitting data. I captured for a few minutes yesterday via Wireshark and saw some kind of google reference in the data. I'm wondering if Onkyo is harvesting user data and sending it to Google without asking. I watched a movie last night, but have not touched the receiver today but YAMon is showing that there has been 3mb transferred (1.4d/1.6u). Seems like a lot for a basic ping to show it exists especially since I'm not using any services (unless something is enabled by default I suppose).

Also, I'm surprised this was merged with the main RZ820 thread. It's not really something I would have associated with this specific receiver so much as a question about Onkyo and network connected receivers in general. I doubt this will even be noticed now being part of a mega-thread. <sigh>
post #755 of 764 Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 AM

I reviewed some packets I just captured and it appears that there is a large amount of data that is being sent/received, but it all appears to be internal to the network and a good chunk is between my wife's work laptop and the receiver. I'll have to see if she has a media streamer enabled since at least one packet included UPNP or DLNA.

DIT: After a little more looking, YAMon has reported that the receiver is connecting to 172.217.164.99 on port 443 among other things. Since I haven't signed up for any service, I'm wondering why Onkyo is having the receiver connect to Google and what it's searching for.

Last edited by bkenobi; 05-13-2020 at 10:22 AM.
post #756 of 764 Old 05-13-2020, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
That is a little odd and a bit disconcerting. I have an Onkyo RZ 810 so wonder what it's sending out...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #757 of 764 Old 05-23-2020, 03:28 PM

Anyone Still Alive on This Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post
Has anyone had any luck connecting either the Controller or Remote 3 iOS app with 620/720/820 RZ Series? I understand these are 2017 models, correct?

Controller datasheet (sorry can't post link) - shows "Compatible Onkyo Models Network A/V receivers launched in 2016 and later"
Remote 3 datasheet (sorry can't post link)- shows "Compatible Onkyo Models All Network A/V Receivers released during or after 2009"

I can't get Spotify Devices on a PC or in the Spotify iOS app to see the Spotify Connect app on the receiver either. Normally I would suspect a network connectivity issue. However I can access the 820 web page by browsing to the receiver's IP Address via Safari on the iPhone. This proves network connectivity.

I have updated the receive firmware to 1121-6020-3070-0011 which it says is the latest.

The only features I am really looking for is remote volume control of the 2nd zone and of course Spotify content play control.

Any RZ810/820 owners out there?
post #758 of 764 Old 05-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I believe Spotify is no longer supporting most Onkyo models. https://spotify-everywhere.com/colle...udio-streamers
post #759 of 764 Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I used the controller app and use Spotify almost daily, it works on the RZ820 if you have setup the network correctly.

Sony KD-65X8505C • Onkyo TX-RZ840 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i S:2070Si A:QI65C
Vero 4K (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield (2017) • Sony UBP-X800 • Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
post #760 of 764 Old 05-24-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theetjuh View Post
I used the controller app and use Spotify almost daily, it works on the RZ820 if you have setup the network correctly.

Thanks for the reply Theetiuh, but since you wrote in past tense "I used the controller app" have you tried it recently? An if so could you post your Controller version, iOS version, and Onkyo firmware version for comparison?

My versions:

Controller App 1.13.1 (2000306A) found at the bottom of the upper left fly out menu.
iPhone 10 iOS 13.4.1
RZ820 firmware 1121-6020-3070-0011

I definitely have the network setup correctly because I can access the RZ820 web page via Safari on my iPhone (and well, I work for Cisco). When I do a packet capture on the Ethernet port of the RZ820, it receives a TCP 3-way handshake from the iPhone on port 60128 from the Controller app, the RZ820 responds with "ISCP !1NJA2 with the IP Address of the RZ820, then the Controller app sends no more data, then the RX820 sends a FIN to close the connection. Then the Controller app shows "Cannot connect to device." Sure seems like a software problem with the Controller app to me.

I downloaded a 3rd party app called "Enhanced Controller App for Onkyo (Mikhail Kulesh)" from the Apple App store and it connects on the exact same TCP port 60128 and works well. I found out you can telnet to port 60128 via a PC and you can view the real-time API commands/responses from the app/RZ820 via the telnet session. I can see the 3rd party app's commands and responses, but the Onkyo Controller app never responds to the RZ820 after the initial connect. Evidently the API is called ISCP - "Integra Serial Communications Protocol" which is a series of clear text commands over TCP port 60128.
post #761 of 764 Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
&quot;Official&quot; Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Theetiuh, but since you wrote in past tense "I used the controller app" have you tried it recently? An if so could you post your Controller version, iOS version, and Onkyo firmware version for comparison?
I don’t use my RZ820 anymore, since I got the RZ840 since a week or so.

The last time I used the app it worked and the app works atm with the RZ840 as well.
Am using iPhone XR 13.4.1 and app version 1.13.1 (200306A)
Firmware was the latest as far as I know.

Sony KD-65X8505C • Onkyo TX-RZ840 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i S:2070Si A:QI65C
Vero 4K (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield (2017) • Sony UBP-X800 • Sony PlayStation 4 Pro

Last edited by Theetjuh; 05-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.
post #762 of 764 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question from an RZ830 owner (please point to another group for the 830 model if needed, I couldn't find one on a search)

I have a 7.2.2 setup and I will be getting some bi-amped front speakers soon and noticed for that to work, I will use the front heights (height 1/#.#.2) to make the fronts bi-amped.

Could I still get the front heights signal out to the speakers that are already the height 1 pair by using the preamp on the back and add an additional amp for the power while I am bi-amping the front speakers? Is there an onscreen setting I will have to use for this to work?

Can the unit be 7.2.4 with bi-amped fronts and a separate amp for the two heights (the #.#.4) I have the speakers and wiring to do this. I would just add an additional amp to power the 2 height sets.

Last edited by kzookid; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
post #763 of 764 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzookid View Post
Question from an RZ830 owner (please point to another group for the 830 model if needed, I couldn't find one on a search)

I have a 7.2.2 setup and I will be getting some bi-amped front speakers soon and noticed for that to work, I will use the front heights (height 1/#.#.2) to make the fronts bi-amped.

Could I still get the front heights signal out to the speakers that are already the height 1 pair by using the preamp on the back and add an additional amp for the power while I am bi-amping the front speakers? Is there an onscreen setting I will have to use for this to work?

Can the unit be 7.2.4 with bi-amped fronts and a separate amp for the two heights (the #.#.4) I have the speakers and wiring to do this. I would just add an additional amp to power the 2 height sets.

Unless someone else has done this I think you would need to call Onkyo to confirm. On p57 in the RZ830 manual it seems to indicate that the pre-amp is downstream of the decoder selection because it states "Set 2. Speaker - Configuration - Speaker Channels in accordance to the number of channels for the connected [external amp] speakers." This now would refer you to the chart on p58 which shows you valid speaker configurations for the software selections. Remember the software must either separate the different channels to the outputs or combine them (so that those sounds are not missing) and this is controlled by the speaker configuration menu. Looks to me that if you enable the choices for the Bi-Amp, the max you can get is 7.1.0 or 5.1.2. and in the 7.1.0 scenario the pre-amp would have the height channels combined and not separated on the height RCA outputs.

I dunno but if it was me and I had all of those speakers and a room big enough for them I would definitely want a 7.1.4 setup over bi-amped front speakers. If you use an external amp, then how do you do a room calibration with that since it has its own volume settings that the AVR cannot control? I don't see any mention that the room calibration will change the crossover frequencies of the pre-amp outputs either.

At any rate, you have some points to discuss with Onkyo.

Since there only seems to be three of us alive on this thread, I am curious if you have tried to get the Controller app or Spotify to work on your 530. Seem my post above.
kzookid likes this.
post #764 of 764 Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Unless someone else has done this I think you would need to call Onkyo to confirm. On p57 in the RZ830 manual it seems to indicate that the pre-amp is downstream of the decoder selection because it states "Set 2. Speaker - Configuration - Speaker Channels in accordance to the number of channels for the connected [external amp] speakers." This now would refer you to the chart on p58 which shows you valid speaker configurations for the software selections. Remember the software must either separate the different channels to the outputs or combine them (so that those sounds are not missing) and this is controlled by the speaker configuration menu. Looks to me that if you enable the choices for the Bi-Amp, the max you can get is 7.1.0 or 5.1.2. and in the 7.1.0 scenario the pre-amp would have the height channels combined and not separated on the height RCA outputs.

I dunno but if it was me and I had all of those speakers and a room big enough for them I would definitely want a 7.1.4 setup over bi-amped front speakers. If you use an external amp, then how do you do a room calibration with that since it has its own volume settings that the AVR cannot control? I don't see any mention that the room calibration will change the crossover frequencies of the pre-amp outputs either.

At any rate, you have some points to discuss with Onkyo.

Since there only seems to be three of us alive on this thread, I am curious if you have tried to get the Controller app or Spotify to work on your 530. Seem my post above.
Thanks SoLucky for spending the time to go through the manual to see what you could find. I will follow through with onkyo and the questions. If it won't work, I plan to use all the speakers. It was a nice perk on the new speakers I bought that they were bi-amped, but I agree, 7.2.4 would be the way I want it.

With regards to spotify, I don't use it that often but it does work. The onkyo app can pull it up and start the spotify app to select. When I tried once this morning, it was having trouble with sound coming out, but the receiver display showed what both onkyo and spotify app was transmitting. On the controller app it shows I'm on version 1020-6000-1040-0010-0000. I don't know if that is the firmware # or something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page