"Official" Onkyo TX-RZ 620/720/820 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #91 of 777 Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroSeven View Post
Good news, guess the sub works. Did sub test with cd player like SVS told me to do, workng. Went through AccuEQ set up again, it detected sub, but did not do a level calibration with it.
Found Twister on TV though standard station, not a movie channel or streaming. Had sub about 12 ft away directly in front of listen area, couldn't hear it, center is overpowering it. moved it to behind my recliner, could hear it alittle better but not loud and could also feel vibrate from low frequency.

Suppose this the best its gonna get as far as how loud the sub is, its soft, not loud. To me I hear the center channel speaker more than anything.

So, holding off on sending the receiver back, I'll give it another week or so.

Its still bothersome that you aren't getting sound from the sub during calibration. I don't remember, have you been able to make contact with Onkyo and ask them for input? I know SVS was responsive to you, but I don't remember if you mentioned Onkyo support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Not sure this has been done but did you turn the volume on the back of the sub up? What is the gain on the AVR for the sub? On my Sony after I Auto Cal the sub output is really low and I have to manually adjust everything to how I like it. Also do you have the Xover set to LFE...... Lastly is the phase correct on the sub.... I'm sure all these have been asked. I tried to read back and didn't see anything. The fact your getting sound seems odd. Low sub output I've dealt with before. My old Yamaha had great bass to the sub... My Sony took some tweaking. Lastly maybe reset the accueq and see what the sub output is before

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was actually thinking something along these lines. I ran calibration a couple times to get the best result on the sub. What I found worked for me was setting the crossover to 80hz and then the gain to about 1/3. The Onkyo boosted the signal and then once calibration was completed I turned the gain up to about 2/3 for actual viewing.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820 TV: Samsung Q80R 75"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 777 Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy67J View Post
Its still bothersome that you aren't getting sound from the sub during calibration. I don't remember, have you been able to make contact with Onkyo and ask them for input? I know SVS was responsive to you, but I don't remember if you mentioned Onkyo support.

I was actually thinking something along these lines. I ran calibration a couple times to get the best result on the sub. What I found worked for me was setting the crossover to 80hz and then the gain to about 1/3. The Onkyo boosted the signal and then once calibration was completed I turned the gain up to about 2/3 for actual viewing.
I'm using a different receiver but I'm eyeing the 820 for an upgrade. I'm just sharing my experience with receivers in general. My knowledge of the different brands tells me Auto Cal isn't always what's best. I like to use it for speakers distance and that's about it. I manually set levels. Crossover, size ect.

PULSAR3002 likes this.
post #93 of 777 Old 05-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
@Jeremy -I am trying to process how Onkyo's AccuEQ is actually doing when it runs it wizard. My belief is that the first time it sends tone out each speaker, the mic is detecting the distance. The second phase of the calibration where it plays tone thru each speaker at 3 different tone is calibrating loudness level, with that in mind, it goes thru all 5 speakers, but not the sub. Maybe this a question for Onkyo support.

Which brings me to this question, did it calibrated level of your sub with 3 tones before it finished?

To bad Onkyo doesn't explain everything AccuEQ is going to do in the manual, thats just bad, owners don't know what the hell is going on or why. Don't think I'm out of the woods yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 777 Old 05-23-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good news, guess the sub works. Did sub test with cd player like SVS told me to do, workng. Went through AccuEQ set up again, it detected sub, but did not do a level calibration with it.
Found Twister on TV though standard station, not a movie channel or streaming. Had sub about 12 ft away directly in front of listen area, couldn't hear it, center is overpowering it. moved it to behind my recliner, could hear it alittle better but not loud and could also feel vibrate from low frequency.

Suppose this the best its gonna get as far as how loud the sub is, its soft, not loud. To me I hear the center channel speaker more than anything.

Is that a yes I did try all that or no?

post #95 of 777 Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On my earlier post, Onkyo support helped me solve the issue. How do I opt out/get rid of the "Onkyo Group Privacy Statement?" I keep selecting "Not Accept" because I don't want them collecting my data but it keeps popping up. It says "You may withdraw your consent by initializing your product." what does that mean and how do I do that?
post #96 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Update: Things are slowly getting better, with the help of email support for SVS. Yet to contact Onkyo, but its looks more like I won't have to unless I figure this one last bug out.
SVS suggested that I keep the speaker level calib. in the reciever at +3.0. then just tune wit the sub gain (volume to my prefernce) also said I can adjust eq settings in receiver to whatever I want.
Set all crossovers at 80 on all speakers
He said may have to turn receiver volume up quite a bit to get a desired result of sub performance.
Heeded all the advice.
Flipping thru channels on cable, I stumble across Marvels The Avengers on FX, never seen the movie, so I thought watch it and tune my settings.
Like I mentioned before, I had moved the sub to behind my recliner, its about 2 ft behind it.
When the scene comes to the heros in battle with the villians, I got quite a surprise from the sub, the thump, explosion were almost life like and the vibration from the sub was coming THROUGH the recliner! I now also have what you guys would call bass shaker in the seat, volume was at about -13.0
I had to turn the center level speaker down to all the way it would go -12, as it was way to over powering, still is a tad.
So, There's lots of tweaking yet to do, I'm the only in this household, so where the speakers are at this point is fine, but I'll need to have two subs if I invite people over to watch, as I sat on the couch which is off the side, you don't feel the same effects when sitting in the recliner.

So in a nutshell, I don't know what the trick was to get this thing going, but I do know I had to run AccuEq a few times for whatever reason.
Now for the bug, To get Onkyo' OSD to come on TV, I have to manual switch the TV to the HDMI port its hooked up to, so its annoying I have to do that to make adjustments. I'm thinking along
the lines that the TV doesn't have that feature that allows you to do that. Have a samsung 40" LCD. Thats the next thing I need to work on.
post #97 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update: Things are slowly getting better, with the help of email support for SVS. Yet to contact Onkyo, but its looks more like I won't have to unless I figure this one last bug out.
SVS suggested that I keep the speaker level calib. in the reciever at +3.0. then just tune wit the sub gain (volume to my prefernce) also said I can adjust eq settings in receiver to whatever I want.
Set all crossovers at 80 on all speakers
He said may have to turn receiver volume up quite a bit to get a desired result of sub performance.
Heeded all the advice.
Flipping thru channels on cable, I stumble across Marvels The Avengers on FX, never seen the movie, so I thought watch it and tune my settings.
Like I mentioned before, I had moved the sub to behind my recliner, its about 2 ft behind it.
When the scene comes to the heros in battle with the villians, I got quite a surprise from the sub, the thump, explosion were almost life like and the vibration from the sub was coming THROUGH the recliner! I now also have what you guys would call bass shaker in the seat, volume was at about -13.0
I had to turn the center level speaker down to all the way it would go -12, as it was way to over powering, still is a tad.
So, There's lots of tweaking yet to do, I'm the only in this household, so where the speakers are at this point is fine, but I'll need to have two subs if I invite people over to watch, as I sat on the couch which is off the side, you don't feel the same effects when sitting in the recliner.

So in a nutshell, I don't know what the trick was to get this thing going, but I do know I had to run AccuEq a few times for whatever reason.
Now for the bug, To get Onkyo' OSD to come on TV, I have to manual switch the TV to the HDMI port its hooked up to, so its annoying I have to do that to make adjustments. I'm thinking along
the lines that the TV doesn't have that feature that allows you to do that. Have a samsung 40" LCD. Thats the next thing I need to work on.
Still sounds like you need to adjust the volume on the receiver and the sub..... Just the gain for that speaker..... Also don't use cable TV to set it. They compress everything. At least use a Netflix movie or a Blu Ray or DVD. Try inception if you have it... The dark Knight is another good one. Or saving Private Ryan. Find a good scene. And constantly watch that scene every time you make adjustments. That way you have a reference. You have the sub at +3. Turn it up to +5+6+7 until you get the events you want. Your center channel should be loud. If your center channel is too loud at -50db and you can't hear your sub than it's your sub that's too low. Leave the center at whatever it calibrates at and turn up the sub to catch up. Ideally you would want to listen to the center at -40db or whatever volume sounds good without being too loud and having the sub match. If that means turning the sub to +10 then that's where it goes. Also. Have you turned up the volume on the back of your sub?

post #98 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also if you've been using cable TV as your reference that's been half the issue

post #99 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 AM

Thanks Brian for your insight. I will eventually retune and adjust things when I actually watch a netfix or DVD movie, with no much time after work in the evenings I just did what I did to get more used to the receiver and all.
FYI, sub volume is set at the 3 clock position.
post #100 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Brian for your insight. I will eventually retune and adjust things when I actually watch a netfix or DVD movie, with no much time after work in the evenings I just did what I did to get more used to the receiver and all.
FYI, sub volume is set at the 3 clock position.
Thanks for getting back! That's a start.... You know there are 3 volume controls for your sub. The master volume which raises all the speaker levels. The knob on the back of the sub. And then the speaker level.... Which can be found in the menu of the receiver..... Once everything is calibrated and balanced you'll only need to adjust the master.

How big is the room? If the room is large and only has 3 walls and is an open floor plan you'll need allot of volume to get that thump. Smaller rooms with 4 walls require less. I don't think you'll need a second sub unless you have the first room.

post #101 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
@Jeremy-I am trying to process how Onkyo's AccuEQ is actually doing when it runs it wizard. My belief is that the first time it sends tone out each speaker, the mic is detecting the distance. The second phase of the calibration where it plays tone thru each speaker at 3 different tone is calibrating loudness level, with that in mind, it goes thru all 5 speakers, but not the sub. Maybe this a question for Onkyo support.

Which brings me to this question, did it calibrated level of your sub with 3 tones before it finished?

To bad Onkyo doesn't explain everything AccuEQ is going to do in the manual, thats just bad, owners don't know what the hell is going on or why. Don't think I'm out of the woods yet.
Yes, that's what is bothering me. You get the initial tone that detects a speaker and then the 3 calibration tones later to include calibration tones on the subwoofer. If you aren't getting those 3 on the sub then it seems something is wrong. I did notice the first time I ran AccuEQ it gave me a weird result. On my towers it said my right channel was farther than my left which was not correct. I ran it again and it fixed itself. Also, keeping the sub's gain low when I ran the calibration is bumped it to +12. I then went and turned the gain back up on the sub after it was done. Keep in mind depending on the size of your room you just might need a bigger sub to get the result you want. My current Klipsch 10" sub is perfectly functional, but it doesn't kick you in the chest because my room is huge. Something you can try is when you run the AccuEQ go touch the sub when its running and see if you can feel the driver move. The tones are very low and it might be hard to hear them, but they are probably there. Let us know if you can feel it moving during AccuEQ.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820 TV: Samsung Q80R 75"
post #102 of 777 Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM

Well, I definitely have issues, I'm not convinced the AccuEQ is working CORRECTLY. I decided to hook my system differently last night, just starting with the CBL/SAT box, I went with the AV Component for video, since it only had one HDMI (0ut) I hooked that up to the receiver. I will hook up digital audio for the TV and DVD when I get the cables here tonight. So with this all plugged in, I went into the AccuEQ, found Audio select, and set the CBL to HDMI, then went to AccuEQ skip the configuration of speakers, went to source select, selected CBL, it goes to a blue screen with the question : is picture and audio playinig correctly? Answer is no, get out of that, it then says there is no power detected....aaahh....yes there is......so this is why I don't think AccuEQ is not working correctly,

Just trying to hook up things via digital or hdmi for audio since its better than rca analog.

Last edited by DoubleZeroSeven; 05-25-2018 at 05:23 AM.
post #103 of 777 Old 05-29-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I definitely have issues, I'm not convinced the AccuEQ is working CORRECTLY. I decided to hook my system differently last night, just starting with the CBL/SAT box, I went with the AV Component for video, since it only had one HDMI (0ut) I hooked that up to the receiver. I will hook up digital audio for the TV and DVD when I get the cables here tonight. So with this all plugged in, I went into the AccuEQ, found Audio select, and set the CBL to HDMI, then went to AccuEQ skip the configuration of speakers, went to source select, selected CBL, it goes to a blue screen with the question : is picture and audio playinig correctly? Answer is no, get out of that, it then says there is no power detected....aaahh....yes there is......so this is why I don't think AccuEQ is not working correctly,

Just trying to hook up things via digital or hdmi for audio since its better than rca analog.
Any luck? I still think you should just factory reset the receiver and see how everything sounds without accuEq. Maybe it's broken.

post #104 of 777 Old 05-30-2018, 05:21 AM

Sent you a pm Brian, check your inbox

What sub eq settings is everyone using? Are you using what AccuEQ sets it at? I will post what AccuEQ set mine here at later. I should have wrote them down. I'm at work at the present time.
post #105 of 777 Old 05-30-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2950 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Just ordered an 820. Price came down at Crutchfield to the point I think it's worth it for a year old AVR.

Looking forward to what I hope is a fairly large upgrade to my HK AVR1600. I know features wise it will be but hopefully sound wise as well.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, LG 82UN8570
post #106 of 777 Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sent you a pm Brian, check your inbox

What sub eq settings is everyone using? Are you using what AccuEQ sets it at? I will post what AccuEQ set mine here at later. I should have wrote them down. I'm at work at the present time.
That's odd. When I check my inbox I have nothing

post #107 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
That's odd. When I check my inbox I have nothing

Crap, it didn't send it, I checked my sent messages, doesn't show it, smh.....
Anyways, you had asked what size room I have, its 12.5x15x7, 3 wall, open wall goes into the kitchen, the recliner is on the open wall side, just experimenting with sub position, at the
current time I have it behind my recliner, I can feel the sub vibrate through the chair. But when i go sit on my couch, I barely hear the sub. I have volume on sub at 3 clock, receiver volume at -20 to -18.
I'll draw up to show how everything is laid out and post later.
post #108 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyways, you had asked what size room I have, its 12.5x15x7, 3 wall, open wall goes into the kitchen, the recliner is on the open wall side, just experimenting with sub position, at the
current time I have it behind my recliner, I can feel the sub vibrate through the chair. But when i go sit on my couch, I barely hear the sub. I have volume on sub at 3 clock, receiver volume at -20 to -18.
Ok... What level is the sub gain in the receivers settings?

post #109 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also the open wall is it to the left or right or behind the wall?

post #110 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 AM

See attached, I should have mentioned the 4 wall is partial opening is roughly 6 ft.......sub level in receiver I think is set at +5
Attached Files
File Type: pdf floor.pdf (73.8 KB, 48 views)
post #111 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
See attached, I should have mentioned the 4 wall is partial opening is roughly 6 ft.......sub level in receiver I think is set at +5
Could you move the sub to the front left corner of the room? In looking at the drawing it looks like the sub has only a partial wall or maybe a bar behind it? I'm thinking you have a semi-open floor plan where the kitchen is open to the living room?

"Home Theater" setup:

post #112 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Could you move the sub to the front left corner of the room? In looking at the drawing it looks like the sub has only a partial wall or maybe a bar behind it? I'm thinking you have a semi-open floor plan where the kitchen is open to the living room?
Jeremy, yes , theres a breakfast bar there where the sub is sitting, the floor raises to the kitchen there as well. I'll try it up front left in the corner and see what it sounds like there.
Jeremy67J likes this.
post #113 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So looking at your floorplan you have about 1300 cubic feet for the living room. The PB 1000 should have enough power to fill that space. The issues I see initially are the kitchen is open to the living room correct? So the sound fills in to the kitchen as well increasing your cubic feet which is now probably closer to 2000 which would bump you up to the next size sub if you want ground shaking performance. Also I would move the sub to the corner left or right of the tv. I would start with the left. Your couch would be better off in front of the TV for optimal sound performance. Put the sub in the left corner facing straight out. Then move it a foot away from the back wall .... Then a foot away from the side wall. Try facing the speaker Port towards the seating position. See be how all this sounds and what gives you the best sound and adjust from there. I would do this all around the room. Subwoofers are Omni directional so allot of times you can get away with putting it anywhere in a room with 4 walls and a closed space. When you get into open floor plans it makes things a little trickier. Keeping it away from an open wall is a good idea. Having the sound reflect off of two walls or down the longest full wall is a good start. My living room is fairly large with 12ft ceilings. Acoustically it's not great. I have 1 solid wall in front and then the rest opens up to the rest of the house. I finally have some of the echo under control but my old Polk sub is in need of replacement as it doesn't have the same impact as it did in my old house. Look up subwoofer crawl and it will give you a good reference to what I just described on finding good placement for your sub. Good luck

Jeremy67J likes this.
post #114 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
So looking at your floorplan you have about 1300 cubic feet for the living room. The PB 1000 should have enough power to fill that space. The issues I see initially are the kitchen is open to the living room correct? So the sound fills in to the kitchen as well increasing your cubic feet which is now probably closer to 2000 which would bump you up to the next size sub if you want ground shaking performance. Also I would move the sub to the corner left or right of the tv. I would start with the left. Your couch would be better off in front of the TV for optimal sound performance. Put the sub in the left corner facing straight out. Then move it a foot away from the back wall .... Then a foot away from the side wall. Try facing the speaker Port towards the seating position. See be how all this sounds and what gives you the best sound and adjust from there. I would do this all around the room. Subwoofers are Omni directional so allot of times you can get away with putting it anywhere in a room with 4 walls and a closed space. When you get into open floor plans it makes things a little trickier. Keeping it away from an open wall is a good idea. Having the sound reflect off of two walls or down the longest full wall is a good start. My living room is fairly large with 12ft ceilings. Acoustically it's not great. I have 1 solid wall in front and then the rest opens up to the rest of the house. I finally have some of the echo under control but my old Polk sub is in need of replacement as it doesn't have the same impact as it did in my old house. Look up subwoofer crawl and it will give you a good reference to what I just described on finding good placement for your sub. Good luck

I know this sounds weird, we've always put our couch up against the wall traditional and that comes from how our parents arrange their furniture back in the day, I've thought about swing that couch out so its facing the TV in the middle of the room and put the recliner next to it, this will all be space pending. Guess a guy doesn't know till ya try it I guess
post #115 of 777 Old 05-31-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know this sounds weird, we've always put our couch up against the wall traditional and that comes from how our parents arrange their furniture back in the day, I've thought about swing that couch out so its facing the TV in the middle of the room and put the recliner next to it, this will all be space pending. Guess a guy doesn't know till ya try it I guess
Yep! I remember my folks had theirs that way when I was a kid.... So depending on your TV size your viewing distance will vary. I'd try to have your fronts about 7-8 feet apart for a good sound stage. Having space behind your couch is a good thing for sound. Lots of tinkering to do! It took me awhile but I think I've got a great soundstage just a really bad sub..... You did right by going with the svs.

post #116 of 777 Old 06-06-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Received my 820 yesterday, set it up last night. I had already read the manual so the setup went smoothly although a little longer than anticipated.

My thoughts:

Positives- Really nice looking. The green on unit display is less annoying than the white on my HK (though the HK has an auto dim/off). Standby pass through for my wife. Works great. BT works great. It has Atmos. Quite a selection of surround sound options. Briefly tried some Atmos demos and DSU. THX cinema may be what I use most of the time since it has the THX Volume. Wifi setup was easy, as was the firmware update. 6 HDMI inputs- my HK only had 3 and I have 4 devices. The remote is decent and easier to use than the one with my HK. On screen display is nice too.

Not so sures- Doesn't really sound much if any different than my 2009 45 watt HK. I was hoping it would be an ear opening experience. Nope. Not much I can say is different or better. I haven't watched any BD at my movie theater volume yet, or really cranked any music so I'll leave this as a not sure. I would think that with more than 2.5 times the rated power I would have better dynamics once I turn things up.

Not so good- Accu EQ, had the several of the speaker distances WAY off, it set the sub channel at least 8db to high. It set it at +2.5db even though I have the two subs listed in my sig in a 1600 cubic foot room. Once I started playing some content with decent bass I had to lower the trim to around -6db. Hard to say if it did anything else since like I mentioned above, it doesn't really sound any different than before. I never ran the auto setup of the HK with my current speakers. I don't think the HK does anything other than distance and levels anyway.

I'll play around with the crossovers a little. I normally run double bass (which it was set to for most of my low to moderate volume listening). I do this because I play music sometimes at night to help me sleep and at low volumes the sub kicks off sometimes and there is no bass. Plus it fills out the sound when watching TV at normal volumes.

Is there a way to get the display on the unit to sleep? I don't see that as an option in the manual anywhere.

I have no real negatives. Just a little disappointed it doesn't wow me with a noticeable upgrade in SQ. Still, at the current price, if one is looking for an AVR that is up to date in HDR, 4K etc... it's a good value.

I bought from Crutchfield so I have 60 days to try it out.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, LG 82UN8570
post #117 of 777 Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Got my Onkyo 820 today and am very pleased with the sound and listened loud for a half hour and was just warm! Lovin it!
post #118 of 777 Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Received my 820 yesterday, set it up last night. I had already read the manual so the setup went smoothly although a little longer than anticipated.

My thoughts:

Positives- Really nice looking. The green on unit display is less annoying than the white on my HK (though the HK has an auto dim/off). Standby pass through for my wife. Works great. BT works great. It has Atmos. Quite a selection of surround sound options. Briefly tried some Atmos demos and DSU. THX cinema may be what I use most of the time since it has the THX Volume. Wifi setup was easy, as was the firmware update. 6 HDMI inputs- my HK only had 3 and I have 4 devices. The remote is decent and easier to use than the one with my HK. On screen display is nice too.

Not so sures- Doesn't really sound much if any different than my 2009 45 watt HK. I was hoping it would be an ear opening experience. Nope. Not much I can say is different or better. I haven't watched any BD at my movie theater volume yet, or really cranked any music so I'll leave this as a not sure. I would think that with more than 2.5 times the rated power I would have better dynamics once I turn things up.

Not so good- Accu EQ, had the several of the speaker distances WAY off, it set the sub channel at least 8db to high. It set it at +2.5db even though I have the two subs listed in my sig in a 1600 cubic foot room. Once I started playing some content with decent bass I had to lower the trim to around -6db. Hard to say if it did anything else since like I mentioned above, it doesn't really sound any different than before. I never ran the auto setup of the HK with my current speakers. I don't think the HK does anything other than distance and levels anyway.

I'll play around with the crossovers a little. I normally run double bass (which it was set to for most of my low to moderate volume listening). I do this because I play music sometimes at night to help me sleep and at low volumes the sub kicks off sometimes and there is no bass. Plus it fills out the sound when watching TV at normal volumes.

Is there a way to get the display on the unit to sleep? I don't see that as an option in the manual anywhere.

I have no real negatives. Just a little disappointed it doesn't wow me with a noticeable upgrade in SQ. Still, at the current price, if one is looking for an AVR that is up to date in HDR, 4K etc... it's a good value.

I bought from Crutchfield so I have 60 days to try it out.
Sounds like you need to really crank up the volume and see what this thing is made of. Also I would def see what size speaker and what crossover there accuEq is set at. So far and receiver I have used has been great for distance and that's about it. I would also see what other settings affect sound. That's a little disappointing that the sound doesn't change much. I have a Sony strdn 1080. The clarity is great but I wish there was more ooommf. I think what you really need is a separate amp. At least the 820 has pre outs.... One of the main reasons I'm looking at this receiver. I'm also looking at a sizeable upgrade to my sub and going with a svs pb2000

Also check out the EQ settings are at

Last edited by Brian_Barros; 06-06-2018 at 02:52 PM.
post #119 of 777 Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you need to really crank up the volume and see what this thing is made of. Also I would def see what size speaker and what crossover there accuEq is set at. So far and receiver I have used has been great for distance and that's about it. I would also see what other settings affect sound. That's a little disappointing that the sound doesn't change much. I have a Sony strdn 1080. The clarity is great but I wish there was more ooommf. I think what you really need is a separate amp. At least the 820 has pre outs.... One of the main reasons I'm looking at this receiver. I'm also looking at a sizeable upgrade to my sub and going with a svs pb2000

Also check out the EQ settings are at
Crossovers were pretty spot on. I changed them to 120hz for the center and surrounds (I sounded best at this setting with the HK). It set my mains at 40hz which is pretty close to their rated -3db point, so that was good. I changed it to full range with double bass. I'll probably change it to 100 or 120hz for movie watching though. At might try and see how it sounds with double bass at high volumes since I have much more power now.

I certainly don't need an external amp. I had plenty of volume with my 45 watt HK.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, LG 82UN8570
post #120 of 777 Old 06-06-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Crossovers were pretty spot on. I changed them to 120hz for the center and surrounds (I sounded best at this setting with the HK). It set my mains at 40hz which is pretty close to their rated -3db point, so that was good. I changed it to full range with double bass. I'll probably change it to 100 or 120hz for movie watching though. At might try and see how it sounds with double bass at high volumes since I have much more power now.

I certainly don't need an external amp. I had plenty of volume with my 45 watt HK.
Why not start at the THX recommendation of everything at 80hz? Since it's certified it might be the sweet spot and go from there. You use a sub right? I change around a lot but I always come back to 80hz as it keeps the cleanest sound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page