For anyone using the Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz Android app, would love some feedback - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By bsuthoff
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question For anyone using the Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz Android app, would love some feedback

Purchasing a new receiver soon, most likely Yamama, Denon, or Marantz (something in the $400 - $600 range). If you are using the Android app, would like to know if it is possible (and how easy it is) to turn on/off the "night mode" (whatever the receiver calls it) to enhance dialogue and compress the dynamic range of sounds.

The reviews for the Denon and Marantz apps on the Google Play store are abysmal, while the Yamaha app seems to be fairly well reviewed. I downloaded all 3 of them and from just playing around in Demo mode the Yamama app seems much better at first glance.

Background - last few years have been using a Sonos Playbar/Sub and one of the features I loved was being able to turn on the night mode and speech enhancement mode using my phone. My wife can be an absent minded TV watcher and if it's late and the baby is asleep I like being able to adjust the sound without nagging her (and without her even knowing that I'm doing it most of the time).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
"Night mode" equates to turning the volume down. Done.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #3 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
For anyone using the Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz Android app, would love some feedback

If you mean activating the adaptive volume adjustment, it’s easy in the Yamaha app.

I’m very pleased with the Yamaha AV Controller app over all. I’ve used some by Panasonic and Samsung and they were clumsy (and also removed support for 2 year old equipment without explanation). The Yamaha app continues to get updates and refinements, and supports my 2012 or so AVR. As mobile apps for consumer electronics devices go, I’d give this one A+++.

There may be shortfalls to the AVR you choose, but the app isn’t one of them. Also works elegantly on phone, tablet, Android, iOS.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 700 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21986 Post(s)
Liked: 11925
Using the Denon AVR Remote Android app, you can turn Audyssey Dynamic Volume ON/OFF on the fly with 4 button clicks or you can set up a Quick Select button for a specific source with it ON and then another Quick Select with it OFF and make the selection with just 1 button click as the Quick Selects are on the main app page.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks ChromeJob and jdsmoothie, appreciate the info. I'm leaning towards the TSR-7810 due to the price and ability to pick it up locally at Costco.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_boy View Post
Purchasing a new receiver soon, most likely Yamama, Denon, or Marantz (something in the $400 - $600 range). If you are using the Android app, would like to know if it is possible (and how easy it is) to turn on/off the "night mode" (whatever the receiver calls it) to enhance dialogue and compress the dynamic range of sounds.

The reviews for the Denon and Marantz apps on the Google Play store are abysmal, while the Yamaha app seems to be fairly well reviewed. I downloaded all 3 of them and from just playing around in Demo mode the Yamama app seems much better at first glance.

Background - last few years have been using a Sonos Playbar/Sub and one of the features I loved was being able to turn on the night mode and speech enhancement mode using my phone. My wife can be an absent minded TV watcher and if it's late and the baby is asleep I like being able to adjust the sound without nagging her (and without her even knowing that I'm doing it most of the time).

Thanks!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-pre-pros.html
post #7 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_boy View Post
Thanks ChromeJob and jdsmoothie, appreciate the info. I'm leaning towards the TSR-7810 due to the price and ability to pick it up locally at Costco.
Buying at Costco is a good bet, you can get a price adjustment if they reduce the price in 30 days, Square Trade extended warranty may be available, etc.

Dunno about the other brands, but a firmware update for the 7810 provides Dolby Vision support.

Note that Costco is also carrying the TSR-5830, aka RX-v583 for a bit less, if you don't need the pre-outs. (There are other small differences.)

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 02-22-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: No Square Trade offered on AVRs
post #8 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If you feel like it... you can create a scene on a Yamaha receiver where you can setup one of the 'scene' options to include the applicable night mode.
Simply go into the app and hit the right scene... and bingo, bango - away you go.
Higher end receivers offer 12 configurable Scenes, super handy (I use them to run certain audio / visual delays for different inputs when I use my Harmony remote - super easy).
post #9 of 21 Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
If you mean activating the adaptive volume adjustment, it’s easy in the Yamaha app.

I’m very pleased with the Yamaha AV Controller app over all. I’ve used some by Panasonic and Samsung and they were clumsy (and also removed support for 2 year old equipment without explanation). The Yamaha app continues to get updates and refinements, and supports my 2012 or so AVR. As mobile apps for consumer electronics devices go, I’d give this one A+++.

There may be shortfalls to the AVR you choose, but the app isn’t one of them. Also works elegantly on phone, tablet, Android, iOS.

Yes, I also like the Yamaha A/V Controller App I use with my RX-A3030. Everything is there, and easy to operate. When using my Ipad I like the "volume" control...it pops up on screen as a circle about the size of a fifty cent piece...spin your finger clockwise to increase volume.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #10 of 21 Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

I second this. Yamaha obviously took deep care while developing their app.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #11 of 21 Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I neglected to point out, anything the remote has that the AV Controller app doesn't have a shortcut to, there is a "remote control" simulation mode that lets you simply press buttons as if you have the remote handy (though you can do this from another room, anywhere on your local area network). Some poor apps just reproduce the remote as clickable image on the screen, Yamaha gives you a sensible mobile/tablet interface first, then you can fall back on a remote "simulation" for a few less-used commands.

post #12 of 21 Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
If you feel like it... you can create a scene on a Yamaha receiver where you can setup one of the 'scene' options to include the applicable night mode.
Simply go into the app and hit the right scene... and bingo, bango - away you go.
Higher end receivers offer 12 configurable Scenes, super handy (I use them to run certain audio / visual delays for different inputs when I use my Harmony remote - super easy).
I am looking at getting the a1070. what do u mean by 'scene'?
ty mike
post #13 of 21 Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik2h View Post
I am looking at getting the a1070. what do u mean by 'scene'?
ty mike
Yamaha AVRs have customizable "Scene" buttons that you program with the input, DSP/sound processing, etc, so that you press that one button and system powers on to the input and settings you saved. If you have HDMI-CEC enabled, the AVR will turn on the TV and associated component connected via HDMI to the AVR (e.g. BD player, Apple TV).

post #14 of 21 Old 03-21-2018, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yamaha AVRs have customizable "Scene" buttons that you program with the input, DSP/sound processing, etc, so that you press that one button and system powers on to the input and settings you saved. If you have HDMI-CEC enabled, the AVR will turn on the TV and associated component connected via HDMI to the AVR (e.g. BD player, Apple TV).
ty!
guess that was probably self evident
post #15 of 21 Old 07-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Marantz web & apps are terrible

Sorry for the late response, but for the benefit of others...

If a good web interface and functioning apps for your iPhone/Android phone are important, then think twice before buying Marantz. I have a Marantz SR7008 and the user experience could not be worse. I've tried 3rd party apps too. Simply terrible.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-06-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuthoff View Post
Sorry for the late response, but for the benefit of others...

If a good web interface and functioning apps for your iPhone/Android phone are important, then think twice before buying Marantz. I have a Marantz SR7008 and the user experience could not be worse. I've tried 3rd party apps too. Simply terrible.
You have a 5 year old AVR that uses an outdated Remote app. The current app which works with 2016 and newer models is much improved.
ccotenj likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-06-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You have a 5 year old AVR that uses an outdated Remote app. The current app was released in 2016 and is much improved.
I’m using a RX-v775, surely an older amp, but the current Yamaha AV Controller app is backward compat with it even today.

Compare with.... I was disappointed when Samsung removed my TV from the list of supported devices in their mobile app only 3 years after I bought it. Who upgrades their TV every few years?

post #18 of 21 Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I’m using a RX-v775, surely an older amp, but the current Yamaha AV Controller app is backward compat with it even today.

Compare with.... I was disappointed when Samsung removed my TV from the list of supported devices in their mobile app only 3 years after I bought it. Who upgrades their TV every few years?
My post was specifically addressing the 2016 Marantz Remote app (which is not backwards compatible) ... nothing to do with the Yamaha AV Controller app.
ccotenj likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
You have a 5 year old AVR that uses an outdated Remote app. The current app which works with 2016 and newer models is much improved.
I don't know about "Much improved" but at least it is current and supported. some things definitely work better, such as NAS support. Overall it is ok. Gets the job done. It is a great convenience and I would miss it if it was gone.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My post was specifically addressing the 2016 Marantz Remote app (which is not backwards compatible) ... nothing to do with the Yamaha AV Controller app.
And MY POST was contrasting an avr manufacturer who was supporting older models in a currently available app with others who discard support for models only a few years after release. >

I believe that was consistent with OP’s inquiry.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
And MY POST was contrasting an avr manufacturer who was supporting older models in a currently available app with others who discard support for models only a few years after release. >

I believe that was consistent with OP’s inquiry.
Ah ... to avoid confusion, better to not have quoted my post then as you were simply providing new information from a different brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page