Onkyo TX-NR585 & TX-NR686 7.2 AVRs Unveiled - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 217 Old 10-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dear Friends

I have got:
- Epson EH-TW5300 with HDMI 1.4 (no HDCP 2.2)
- Sony PS4 with HDMI 1.4 (no HDCP 2.2)
- Apple TV 4K with HDMI 2.0a (HDCP 2.2)
- Egreat A5 with HDMI 2.0a (HDCP 2.2)

I would like to buy Onkyo TX-NR686.

Please explain...

Case 1

When I will connect PS4 to HDMI Game input (HDCP 2.2) and projector Epson to HDMI Main output (HDCP 2.2), will I have an image from PS4 on my Epson even they are not HDCP 2.2?

Case 2

When I will connect Apple TV 4K or Egreat A5 to HDMI inputs (HDCP 2.2) and projector Epson to HDMI Main output (HDCP 2.2), will I have an image from Apple and Egreat on my Epson even if Apple and Egreat are HDCP 2.2 and Epson is not?

Are there any HDMI inputs for HDMI 1.4 (no HDCP 2.2) and is HDMI SUB output for HDMI 1.4 (no HDCP 2.2)?

In case that HDMI Sub output is HDMI 1.4 (no HDCP 2.2) and I will connect Epson to this output, will I have image on Epson from Apple and Egreat, which they are connected to HDMI inputs with HDCP 2.2?

I would be glad for your replies and great support.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely

VAMET

Last edited by VAMET; 10-30-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 217 Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on onkyo recievers for me. I own the 686 it is hooked up to my Xbox one X and I am using the LG B7.
When I watch Dolby vision content the AV states that it is running full 4k Ycbr422 24 bit which is only 8 bit colour, I was under the impression that Dolby vision was 10 or 12 bit, is it possible the AV reciever is just displaying the wrong details? In the manual it says thay the 686 only outputs ycbr422 at 12bit,can anyone please help
post #33 of 217 Old 11-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, I'm just awaiting for my first AV receiver ever, it's a TX-NR585. I've read somewhere else that its former incarnation, the TX-NR575, lacks Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo: 6 upmixing decoders, which presumably the TX-NR585 also does. Should I care about the absence of such decoders?

I also noticed that they dropped the FireConnect available in the TX-NR575 in favour of the FlareConnect available (presumably after firmware update) in the TX-NR585. Is it good? So far, I wasn't able to find FlareConnect compatible speakers in my country, so I'm going wired.

I am probably going to have many more questions, but not before doing my homework (studying the manuals). Thank you everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 217 Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Onkyo tx-nr686 sound problems

I purchased the 686 back in September. It has been acting fine until about a week or so ago then, it started to make a high pitch sound when watching the tv. The sound would go away when I changed the channel and would not happen all the time just periodically. Any thoughts?
post #35 of 217 Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Sorry to hear that on a brand new unit. If you have the just your source hooked into the TV without the receiver does it make the same noise? Try to eliminate that as it could be the cable box or what ever source you are using. If it only happens with the receiver hooked up inline then might have to bring it back for a new one.
post #36 of 217 Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Onkyo TX-NR686.
Running 5.1.2 atmos setup with 4k @60hz, works great.

Tv: Samsung Qled QE65Q8Fn (2018).

Only large con is that Onkyo will not add support for HDMI features 2.1 that include AUTO LOW LATENCY MODE (ALLM).

I cant run 4k @60hz with HDR on my samsung TV since Samsung has added support for ALLM by changing their EDID:

--
Thank you for your email. I'm afraid that there are no plans to support ALLM on the TX-NR686. The current plan is that some of the new release amps for 2019 will support this. If you are having issues with this, please turn the ALLM mode off on the Samsung TV or continue to use the workaround you have found with connecting the Chromecast directly to the TV. You can then feed the audio back to the amp from the TV with an optical cable.

News will be posted on our Onkyo website in due course about our new releases for this year and their specifications.
--

If I bypass AV receiver and plug my Chromcast Ultra directly in the Samsung TV (one-connect box) I get the 4k @60hz with HDR. Connecting sound back from TV to AV Receiver will not give me 5.1.2 atmos surround and makes the receiver pointless to me.. So I will return it today. Might get the Denon Receiver where they fixed this issue.

brgs

Bjørn
post #37 of 217 Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørn Roalkvam View Post
I have the Onkyo TX-NR686.
Running 5.1.2 atmos setup with 4k @60hz, works great.

Tv: Samsung Qled QE65Q8Fn (2018).

Only large con is that Onkyo will not add support for HDMI features 2.1 that include AUTO LOW LATENCY MODE (ALLM).

I cant run 4k @60hz with HDR on my samsung TV since Samsung has added support for ALLM by changing their EDID:

--
Thank you for your email. I'm afraid that there are no plans to support ALLM on the TX-NR686. The current plan is that some of the new release amps for 2019 will support this. If you are having issues with this, please turn the ALLM mode off on the Samsung TV or continue to use the workaround you have found with connecting the Chromecast directly to the TV. You can then feed the audio back to the amp from the TV with an optical cable.

News will be posted on our Onkyo website in due course about our new releases for this year and their specifications.
--

If I bypass AV receiver and plug my Chromcast Ultra directly in the Samsung TV (one-connect box) I get the 4k @60hz with HDR. Connecting sound back from TV to AV Receiver will not give me 5.1.2 atmos surround and makes the receiver pointless to me.. So I will return it today. Might get the Denon Receiver where they fixed this issue.

brgs

Bjørn

SO i returned the Onkyo TX-NR686 and got myself the Sony STR-DN1080.
No issues with 4k @ 60hz HDR (Samsung HDMI UHD COLOR).
The AV Receiver even supports earc, so that can be an option too when TV will support it. Though i dont need to use earc:-)
Thank you Sony.
post #38 of 217 Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbetti View Post
Hi, I'm just awaiting for my first AV receiver ever, it's a TX-NR585. I've read somewhere else that its former incarnation, the TX-NR575, lacks Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo: 6 upmixing decoders, which presumably the TX-NR585 also does. Should I care about the absence of such decoders?

I also noticed that they dropped the FireConnect available in the TX-NR575 in favour of the FlareConnect available (presumably after firmware update) in the TX-NR585. Is it good? So far, I wasn't able to find FlareConnect compatible speakers in my country, so I'm going wired. Fireconnect was the old system by blackfire. Pionkyo now has their own called Flareconnect and on paper its bad ass! I too want to implement the system in my home because I have multiple zones, but of course the new pioneers are not getting great reviews and have a new room correction system that has a global crossover, which disappointments me greatly. However, Flareconnect multi-room now allows to use your 2 Pionkyo receivers to run whole home audio, so no need for wireless speakers, you can run any and all of your wired speakers, so long as they are connected to a Flareconnect receiver. (vsx932/933, vsx-lx103/303/503, onkyo rz630/730/830, nr686/787 also Integra drx-2.1/3.1/3.2/4.1/4.2/5.2. So plenty of options!

I am probably going to have many more questions, but not before doing my homework (studying the manuals). Thank you everybody!
If you check on the 575/676 forum you will see that people are still having hdmi handshake issues, so read thoroughly. The 585/686 are brand new so there are not a lot of reviews yet. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...76-thread.html

Fireconnect was the old system by blackfire. Pionkyo now has their own called Flareconnect and on paper its bad ass! I too want to implement the system in my home because I have multiple zones, but of course the new pioneers are not getting great reviews and have a new room correction system that has a global crossover, which disappointments me greatly. However, Flareconnect multi-room now allows you to use your 2 Pionkyo receivers to run whole home audio, so no need for expensive wireless speakers, you can run any and all of your wired speakers, so long as they are connected to a Flareconnect receiver. Here are the ones I have been looking at (vsx932/933, vsx-lx103/303/503, onkyo rz630/730/830, nr686/787 also Integra drx-2.1/3.1/3.2/4.1/4.2/5.2. So plenty of options!

Good luck!
post #39 of 217 Old 01-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbetti View Post

I also noticed that they dropped the FireConnect available in the TX-NR575 in favour of the FlareConnect available (presumably after firmware update) in the TX-NR585. Is it good? So far, I wasn't able to find FlareConnect compatible speakers in my country, so I'm going wired.

Hello-

I received my 585 in August and have yet to really look into unlocking its full potential - mostly because I'm having a hard time finding good in-depth reviews on it. Have you had any luck in getting more information on this AV?

How have you been liking your 585 so far?

In case anyone is wondering, I bought the 585 through an installer at their recommendation. I did not do too much research on the unit until I got curious now and crawling into the 4k/hdr/dolby hole. (it's a deep hole...)
post #40 of 217 Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunyc View Post
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on onkyo recievers for me. I own the 686 it is hooked up to my Xbox one X and I am using the LG B7.
When I watch Dolby vision content the AV states that it is running full 4k Ycbr422 24 bit which is only 8 bit colour, I was under the impression that Dolby vision was 10 or 12 bit, is it possible the AV reciever is just displaying the wrong details? In the manual it says thay the 686 only outputs ycbr422 at 12bit,can anyone please help
Shaun- I have a 585 and hopefully this works similar to yours but can you advise where/how to get the AV to show what video resolution & color it is running? I installers thew away my manual and it's been difficult for me to find too much info on this AV.

Thanks for any help.
post #41 of 217 Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebanky View Post
Shaun- I have a 585 and hopefully this works similar to yours but can you advise where/how to get the AV to show what video resolution & color it is running? I installers thew away my manual and it's been difficult for me to find too much info on this AV.

Thanks for any help.
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mo...urce=prodClass

Support tab, download manual.
post #42 of 217 Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a TX-NR686 and I have a problem with the initial room setup.
Part of the setup running but after two round when the front left-right-left-right would start the setup stops saying ambient noise too much. Stops every time after the front right speaker.
I have upgraded the firmware, swapped cables and speakers, and setup mic switched off the central heating and all other equipment.
One interesting thing happening, when I move the front right speaker 1m to the centre the room setup runs fully (not every time) but saves only level and distance data, not the EQ.
I can't decide is it a hardware problem or my room and the front left speaker position is wrong and affect the process.
post #43 of 217 Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqcs View Post
I just purchased a TX-NR686 and I have a problem with the initial room setup.
Part of the setup running but after two round when the front left-right-left-right would start the setup stops saying ambient noise too much. Stops every time after the front right speaker.
I have upgraded the firmware, swapped cables and speakers, and setup mic switched off the central heating and all other equipment.
One interesting thing happening, when I move the front right speaker 1m to the centre the room setup runs fully (not every time) but saves only level and distance data, not the EQ.
I can't decide is it a hardware problem or my room and the front left speaker position is wrong and affect the process.
Mine (686) did the same thing so I did it manually. At first I had the 585 but exchanged it. It would run the calibration fine but I was happier doing it manually, so that's what I did with both, measure the distance, sit and adjust the volumes.
post #44 of 217 Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Did yours stop at the same point after the front right?
Today I rearranged the setup moved the front right speaker out from the position was it before in the weird alcove space below the staircase and that was the solution, now room setup runs fully.
I don't like manual setup because this isn't just for the distance and levels but it sets room specific EQ too. And I discovered this isn't saved to the Equalizer menu but saved in AccuEQ which you can see only in Quick menu
post #45 of 217 Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM

I did so probably coincidence. At first try I happened to make noise and thought it was me. Second time I just let it go, was quiet, and it stopped again. So I just did it myself. I don’t want any eq, I just want it flat so I just adjusted the distance and volume. I did set the speaker freq. based on the specs.

Glad it worked...tempted to run it again

Last edited by TomGallopavo; 01-25-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #46 of 217 Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 AM

How can I add the built in chromecast to google home so I can use voice to control it?
post #47 of 217 Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqcs View Post
How can I add the built in chromecast to google home so I can use voice to control it?
I don't know but this might help.

https://www.onkyo.com/manual/sup/upd/chromecast_onk.pdf
post #48 of 217 Old 01-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A local store has this on sale for quite a bit under MSRP. I currently have a TX-NR656 and was wondering if this would be a worthwhile replacement? THX certified seems like the only major change over what I have.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #49 of 217 Old 02-17-2019, 09:14 AM

I just discovered that no audio output on second HDMI out from TV (ARC) nor NET nor analogue.
I have a SONY MDR-HW700DS headphone with a multi-channel sound processor with HDMI output. ARC can be substitute with optical TV->headphones but I don't have an idea how to add NET and analogue sound to the headphone.
post #50 of 217 Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM

Hi all, I just purchased an Onkyo NR 585 and darned if I can get a picture from a Telus optik PVR box to my projector. Are the HDMI outputs reconfigurable? I would like to change one of the 2.2 HDMI to a 1.4 so that the pass through to the projector will display. Apparently this is a problem with the Telus 4k boxes. I could connect direct to the projector from Telus, but that would mean purchasing another 25' cable or using components for my dvd player.
post #51 of 217 Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 161
***Please help with Onkyo TX-NR686***

Hey everyone! I just bought and Onkyo 686 and I’m having a Dolby vision and Apple TV issue. The issue is Dolby Vision 4K 60 won’t come through the Onkyo when using the Apple TV. I can hook it directly to the tv and it works fine. DV 4K 30 comes through the Onkyo fine though. Normal HDR works just fine through the receiver as well. My TV is an Oled65b6p. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by roque13; 02-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #52 of 217 Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roque13 View Post
Hey everyone! I just bought and Onkyo 686 and I’m having a Dolby vision and Apple TV issue. The issue is Dolby Vision 4K 60 won’t come through the Onkyo when using the Apple TV. I can hook it directly to the tv and it works fine. DV 4K 30 comes through the Onkyo fine though. Normal HDR works just fine through the receiver as well. My TV is an Oled65b6p. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Had a similar problem last night. The Apple TV would flicker and black out for a second every 30 seconds or so. DV enabled on the Apple TV. I went into the onkyo settings and turned off DV and it seemed to fix the issue. I wasn't able to thoroughly test it out so I will report back after tonight. I do not know how it affects the DV as I will check that out as well.
Tommymang likes this.
post #53 of 217 Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGallopavo View Post
Had a similar problem last night. The Apple TV would flicker and black out for a second every 30 seconds or so. DV enabled on the Apple TV. I went into the onkyo settings and turned off DV and it seemed to fix the issue. I wasn't able to thoroughly test it out so I will report back after tonight. I do not know how it affects the DV as I will check that out as well.
My issue was due to the high speed cables (not high speed enough I guess). I replaced the cable from ATV to AV and AV to TV with certified cables and that worked...who knew?

Last edited by TomGallopavo; 03-02-2019 at 05:00 AM.
post #54 of 217 Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM

The Onkyo TX-NR585 is today down to $269 on Amazon. 'Sold and shipped by Amazon' qualifies this AVR for price matching at Best Buy, bought mine there today!
post #55 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Onkyo TX nr686 Atmos help.

Help!!

I coulnt find an official Onkyo 686 thread.

I can't get any audio when trying to get Atmos audio in any app on my atv4k.

Equipment:
Samsung Q8FN
Onkyo TX NR 686
Apple TV 4k

If I turn Atmos off I get audio. If it's on I get nothing. Only applies to Atmos content (in all apps Vudu, Netflix). I've swapped cables and ensured settings are correct. If I play a DVD I get Atmos through my blue ray player. Anyone have any ideas? I've reset my atv and triple checked every setting.

post #56 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sorry for the comment but your blunt statement is confusing
What did you mean you get Atmos with DVD ?
No DVD is encoded with Atmos.
Please check your output settings on the Blu Ray player.
What ever Atmos you are getting is a up mixed from DVD signal.
For proper Atmos your source must be encoded with it.
As it is from what I know only Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray have Atmos,but you ll have to check for it on the cover.

post #57 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
As for your rest of the source like ATV 4 K not all movies are in Atmos.
And if you don’t get any sound with Atmos content you go check the settings on your AVR.

post #58 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SUBASCHANDRA BOS View Post
Sorry for the comment but your blunt statement is confusing
What did you mean you get Atmos with DVD ?
No DVD is encoded with Atmos.
Please check your output settings on the Blu Ray player.
What ever Atmos you are getting is a up mixed from DVD signal.
For proper Atmos your source must be encoded with it.
As it is from what I know only Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray have Atmos,but you ll have to check for it on the cover.

Yes I get Atmos sound from UHD Atmos Blu Ray. Just said DVD to save time as I'm on mobile.

post #59 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormus View Post
Help!!

I coulnt find an official Onkyo 686 thread.

I can't get any audio when trying to get Atmos audio in any app on my atv4k.

Equipment:
Samsung Q8FN
Onkyo TX NR 686
Apple TV 4k

If I turn Atmos off I get audio. If it's on I get nothing. Only applies to Atmos content (in all apps Vudu, Netflix). I've swapped cables and ensured settings are correct. If I play a DVD I get Atmos through my blue ray player. Anyone have any ideas? I've reset my atv and triple checked every setting.

Same issue here and I've found a couple instances online of others with the same problem. I think it's an issue between Samsung and Apple. I have a Q8FN, ATV4K and Onkyo TXNR686. ATV running through the Onkyo. If UHD is enabled on the External Device settings on the TV, then you can watch HDR content on the TV but you lose the Atmos sound. If you disable this setting, then Atmos sound comes back. Or you can disable Atmos on the ATV and get HDR but not Atmos. This affects iTunes movies and Netflix for me. Not a big deal if you don't want Content Matching on the ATV set to on (I'd rather leave it on with Video set to 4K SDR). If you just set the picture on the ATV to 4K HDR then the TV will switch into HDR mode whenever you're using the ATV. Pretty annoying though and definitely not ideal. Can't believe more people aren't complaining about this. For people with this setup, you have to choose one or the other Atmos or HDR. Not sure if it's a Samsung thing or Apple.
post #60 of 217 Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 270
686 is on sale this week at Frys. It has mixed reviews here and on Amazon. So does anyone here have a basic living room theater setup with atmos 5.1.2, phono, blur ray movies and some streaming music all running through the 686 without hiccups? Do you like the connectivity and sound?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
dolby atmos , dts:x , Onkyo , onkyo sound issues , spotify , tx-nr585 , tx-nr686 , tx686 , video select

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page