Onkyo TX-NR585 & TX-NR686 7.2 AVRs Unveiled - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 122 Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
THIS. My ATV4K menu says I have Atmos enabled and available, but it doesn't work. Works through Xbox One X on Netflix and 4K discs, but not anything on the ATV. It took a long time to get the HDR settings on the Samsung Q6F and Xbox right, so now I'm afraid to go back and tinker with them. But if I have to do all of this switching to get Atmos to work, I'll just watch through the Xbox.

* Sigh * Why can't all of these manufacturers get along? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I called Onkyo. They fixed the issue in 2 seconds. It's a known issue.

Hold tone and press return on the receiver. Brings up menu. Whatever HDMI port you have your Apple TV in change it from mode 1 to mode 2. Boom fixed.

They said it's a handshake issue. The receiver is expecting 4:4:4 but the Apple TV is putting out 4:2:2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That worked. Thank you!!!
Thormus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 122 Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasato View Post
That worked. Thank you!!!

No problem!

post #63 of 122 Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo TX-NR585 speaker config question

I am thinking of replacing my old Sony STR DA2400ES with the Onkyo TX-NR585. I only have one rear back speaker connected to the rear back left as per the manual. I have looked at the manual online for the TX-NR585 and it does not say anything about doing it that way. I seems like you need two (rear back left and rear back right) or no rear back. Does anyone know if there is anything in the speaker configuration settings where you can set it to one? And where would you connect it? Other receivers I have looked at (like the newer Sony STRDN 1080) say if you only have one to connect it to the rear back left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 122 Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 156
You do also have side surrounds right (5.1)? Are you talking 6.1 set up vs 7.1?

Music, more music.
post #65 of 122 Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Yes. I have front right, front left, front center, surround left, surround right, and rear back. In the TX-NR585 manual they show a 6.1 configuration but it still has two rear back and no front center.
post #66 of 122 Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I called Onkyo. They fixed the issue in 2 seconds. It's a known issue.

Hold tone and press return on the receiver. Brings up menu. Whatever HDMI port you have your Apple TV in change it from mode 1 to mode 2. Boom fixed.

They said it's a handshake issue. The receiver is expecting 4:4:4 but the Apple TV is putting out 4:2:2.

Wow, thank you for saving me a phone call!
post #67 of 122 Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
No problem!

Since you have the same setup as me, are you now having issues with the Samsung TV not switching into HDR mode? I can’t get the Apple TV to trigger HDR mode on the Samsung TV when Match Range is on. The only way I can get the TV to switch into HDR mode using the ATV is to set it to 4K HDR and leave range match off. Unfortunately this forces everything into HDR. If I set it to 4K HDR or SDR with March Range on, the TV won’t swith to HDR regardless of what content I watch.
post #68 of 122 Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy firefox View Post
I am thinking of replacing my old Sony STR DA2400ES with the Onkyo TX-NR585. I only have one rear back speaker connected to the rear back left as per the manual. I have looked at the manual online for the TX-NR585 and it does not say anything about doing it that way. I seems like you need two (rear back left and rear back right) or no rear back. Does anyone know if there is anything in the speaker configuration settings where you can set it to one? And where would you connect it? Other receivers I have looked at (like the newer Sony STRDN 1080) say if you only have one to connect it to the rear back left.
Is there anyone who has it set up this way? I have all the other speakers from a 5.1 set up with just the one rear back added on.
post #69 of 122 Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasato View Post
Since you have the same setup as me, are you now having issues with the Samsung TV not switching into HDR mode? I can’t get the Apple TV to trigger HDR mode on the Samsung TV when Match Range is on. The only way I can get the TV to switch into HDR mode using the ATV is to set it to 4K HDR and leave range match off. Unfortunately this forces everything into HDR. If I set it to 4K HDR or SDR with March Range on, the TV won’t swith to HDR regardless of what content I watch.

I'm not sure. Mine is working on 4:2:0

post #70 of 122 Old 04-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just ordered a TX-NR686 to replace my Onkyo TX-NR809. I needed 4k passthrough. I have 7.1 speakers, but they aren't THX or Dolby Speakers.

I have a question about listening modes on the newer Onkyo receivers. With the TX-NR809, when watching Dolby Digital TV/movies and Stereo movies, I would have the receive using Movie listening mode, Dolby Pro Logic IIx. My logic, is that this would cause the 5.1 and 2 channel to be output on all 7.1 speakers. Not sure if this is the right way to do it, but I didn't want to have to keep changing settings

So with the newer TX-NR686, is there an equivalent setting? It seems like the modes are: Direct, DD+, Dsur, DTS, THX Cinema, THX Sel Cin, TV Logic, Allch, Full Mono, TD. DSur seems like the closest thing to the Dolby Pro Logic IIx mode where it would expand 2 or 5.1 to 7.1. Or is there a better setting for 2 channel, 5.1 channel TV and streaming movies.

I don't want to have to change the setting for each show.
post #71 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Onkyo TX-NR585 speaker config question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy firefox View Post
I have the same problem. I just bought the TX-NR686 and run 6.1 setup. I previously had Denon and Yamaha receivers and they configured 6.1 speakers as 3 front (right, left, center) and 3 rear (right, left, center) surrounds but Onkyo wants me to do 6.1 with 2 fronts and 4 rear surrounds. I don't want to do them like this. I want to continue using 2 fronts with 1 center and 3 rear surround (left, right, center). I'm not sure and Onkyo doesn't specify if I'm to use the left rear speaker connection on the 7.1 config and it'll default to rear surround center speaker???? Please help. Thanks
post #72 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM

Is Onkyo TX-NR686 compatible with Amazon Echo Dot and Alexa. I haven't had any issues Bluetoothing with any other devices except for my Echo Dot. After doing some research it seems to be compatible and advertised as google assistant and other devices but doesn't mention Alexa in any of the product descriptions which makes me believe it doesn't work with it and wants me to use google assistant instead.
post #73 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm thinking about getting a TX-NR585 to replace my TX-SR606. (It's suffering the usual failures and I don't have the patience or dexterity to re-cap it.) Does the 585 run cooler than the older models? Have there been any signs of it suffering similar issues yet?

Also, is the 585 the cheapest current receiver (of any manufacturer) that will convert analog inputs to HDMI output? I don't need a lot of watts or more than 5.1 speakers, but I do need analog upconversion and would like 4K passthrough.
post #74 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post
I'm thinking about getting a TX-NR585 to replace my TX-SR606. (It's suffering the usual failures and I don't have the patience or dexterity to re-cap it.) Does the 585 run cooler than the older models? Have there been any signs of it suffering similar issues yet?

Also, is the 585 the cheapest current receiver (of any manufacturer) that will convert analog inputs to HDMI output? I don't need a lot of watts or more than 5.1 speakers, but I do need analog upconversion and would like 4K passthrough.
No recent Onkyo's have video upscaling anymore, if that was your question? The sister Pioneer vsx-lx103/303 and 503 do have video up-conversion. Yamaha and Denon lower end models all do video upscaling as well, but most here think the tv will do a better job as long as its relatively new.
post #75 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
No recent Onkyo's have video upscaling anymore, if that was your question? The sister Pioneer vsx-lx103/303 and 503 do have video up-conversion. Yamaha and Denon lower end models all do video upscaling as well, but most here think the tv will do a better job as long as its relatively new.

I didn't mean necessarily up-scaling per se, but converting analog video (composite / separate / component) to digital so that video input from, say, a VCR or old DVD player or game system, will be output to the TV via the HDMI jack rather than requiring wiring the TV with both HDMI and analog cables and switching inputs on both the TV and the receiver. A lot of the lower-end receivers I looked at do not convert from analog to digital.
post #76 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't mean necessarily up-scaling per se, but converting analog video (composite / separate / component) to digital so that video input from, say, a VCR or old DVD player or game system, will be output to the TV via the HDMI jack rather than requiring wiring the TV with both HDMI and analog cables and switching inputs on both the TV and the receiver. A lot of the lower-end receivers I looked at do not convert from analog to digital.
Jim got it! Yes the Onkyo website says the 585/686 will convert analog to hdmi sources.....Analog To HDMI Upconversion ✓

Take a look in the 585/686 forum and pick a member and shoot him/her a PM, maybe they can confirm in reality instead of on paper?

Good luck!
post #77 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a TX-NR585 to replace my TX-SR606.
Quote:
Hi Jim Shaffer, 585 and 686 can convert analog to HDMI but cannot upscale component inputs greater than 480i/576i. Not like SR606 where it can accept up to 1080i.
post #78 of 122 Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 PM

I wasn't questioning whether the 585 could do it, I was asking whether there were any cheaper alternatives that I was overlooking.
post #79 of 122 Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wasn't questioning whether the 585 could do it, I was asking whether there were any cheaper alternatives that I was overlooking.
Jim if you have not been to the AC4L site its great for searching. They are mostly refurbished units so here are all of the 7 channel receivers available, click on the search boxes to the left and choose the cheapest one that matches all of your needs. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?number_channels[]=7
Jim Shaffer likes this.
post #80 of 122 Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post
I just ordered a TX-NR686 to replace my Onkyo TX-NR809. I needed 4k passthrough. I have 7.1 speakers, but they aren't THX or Dolby Speakers.

I have a question about listening modes on the newer Onkyo receivers. With the TX-NR809, when watching Dolby Digital TV/movies and Stereo movies, I would have the receive using Movie listening mode, Dolby Pro Logic IIx. My logic, is that this would cause the 5.1 and 2 channel to be output on all 7.1 speakers. Not sure if this is the right way to do it, but I didn't want to have to keep changing settings

So with the newer TX-NR686, is there an equivalent setting? It seems like the modes are: Direct, DD+, Dsur, DTS, THX Cinema, THX Sel Cin, TV Logic, Allch, Full Mono, TD. DSur seems like the closest thing to the Dolby Pro Logic IIx mode where it would expand 2 or 5.1 to 7.1. Or is there a better setting for 2 channel, 5.1 channel TV and streaming movies.

I don't want to have to change the setting for each show.

FYI..in case anyone wonders. I got the TX-NR686. DSur mode upscales 2 channel and 5.1 to 7.1, so it seems like the best setting for me anyway. Liking the new receiver, although it weighs about half as much as my older TX-NR809
post #81 of 122 Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Liked: 0
Hi,

I bought this receiver a couple of months ago, no complains so far until today...

I've updated to the latest firmware version. The update went smoothly. Given that I moved the furniture around the living room I've decided to do the initial setup again with the mic. All good.

The problem is that I have a Chromecast group with the Onkyo Receiver and two Google Home Minis. Until this morning everything was working fine when streaming music but after the update the music is out of sync, it comes earlier from the Receiver. I've found that you can manually adjust the delay on the google home but it's not working. Also, I don't think I should be touching that, is the first time that I have this kind of issues.

Current Firmware version is 1111-3020-3060-0010 which matches with the German latest version so I'm using the most updated one. I wish I never updated...

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chompas; 04-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #82 of 122 Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompas View Post
Hi,

I bought this receiver a couple of months ago, no complains so far until today...

I've updated to the latest firmware version. The update went smoothly. Given that I moved the furniture around the living room I've decided to do the initial setup again with the mic. All good.

The problem is that I have a Chromecast group with the Onkyo Receiver and two Google Home Minis. Until this morning everything was working fine when streaming music but after the update the music is out of sync, it comes earlier from the Receiver. I've found that you can manually adjust the delay on the google home but it's not working. Also, I don't think I should be touching that, is the first time that I have this kind of issues.

Current Firmware version is 1111-3020-3060-0010 which matches with the German latest version so I'm using the most updated one. I wish I never updated...

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
You did a lot at the same time with the firmware update and then a re-calibration, so could be a few things. Someone else might need to chime in.

As you said, the chromecast delay can be adjusted and is often recommended as a solution, maybe turn it all off for 10 second and reboot everything in order and give it another try?

Open the Google Home app and find the affected unit in the Chromecast Devices.
Tap the Settings icon (three dots) in the upper right corner.
In the Advanced section, tap the Group delay correction setting.
Adjust the slider until things sound "right" to you.
post #83 of 122 Old 04-23-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
You did a lot at the same time with the firmware update and then a re-calibration, so could be a few things. Someone else might need to chime in.

As you said, the chromecast delay can be adjusted and is often recommended as a solution, maybe turn it all off for 10 second and reboot everything in order and give it another try?

Open the Google Home app and find the affected unit in the Chromecast Devices.
Tap the Settings icon (three dots) in the upper right corner.
In the Advanced section, tap the Group delay correction setting.
Adjust the slider until things sound "right" to you.

I've tried that with no luck at all. Also I've noticed that the delay is bigger than the 200ms limit option and as mentioned this was not happening before my receiver's firmware update so I think this needs to be solved on that side.
post #84 of 122 Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
TX-NR686 ARC issues(probably user error)...

I just picked this up yesterday as I need a 4K compatible AVR. I had the Onkyo 807. My problem is ARC doesn't always return audio to the AVR. I'm pretty sure this is a setting issue? Is it a TV setting or AVR setting?
post #85 of 122 Old 05-06-2019, 04:17 AM

Question How to get video select on the Onkyo TX-NR686 working?

Hi everyone

I have recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR686 and am so far happy with it, but for the life of me I can't work out how to get the 'video select' function to work properly. I want to be able to listen to music via Spotify Connect, but have the TV display my Nintendo Switch that is plugged into the 3rd HDMI port (the one that says Game) on the back of the receiver.

I select 'net' as the source to get Spotify up, go to the amp settings and select 'source' then 'video select' and set it as 'Game' as this is where the Switch is plugged in. This does absolutely nothing. The image stays on the settings, if I manually switch to the correct input on the amp the sound of the Switch also comes out, if I select 'net' it's back to Spotify and the bog standard background image.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #86 of 122 Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3 View Post
I just picked this up yesterday as I need a 4K compatible AVR. I had the Onkyo 807. My problem is ARC doesn't always return audio to the AVR. I'm pretty sure this is a setting issue? Is it a TV setting or AVR setting?
ARC depends on HDMI CEC, which is always problematic for me.. with Sony and Philips TVs. So, I am using an optical cable.

BTW, did anybody notice that Onkyo added eARC support for these receivers in the latest firmware ? This is actually a feature from HDMI 2.1.

I am only wondering which TV can actually output high-res Dolby incl Atmos or DTS over ARC, specially from streaming apps or their own video player.

Onkyo TX-NR676E | 5.1 speakers : Technology Master Audio Compact 10 & 20 + Klipsch RSW 12 sub | Philips 42PFL5038/H12 | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC based on AMD A10-6700 APU and Win 8.1 x64 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV 4K | Sonos: 2 x CONNECT:AMP + CONNECT | QNAP TS-451 + TS-131P
post #87 of 122 Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i have the NR636 great amp!
post #88 of 122 Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
i have the NR636 great amp!
That was a great amp, but not all inputs at the back are 4K capable. Don't think it supports HDR as well.

Onkyo TX-NR676E | 5.1 speakers : Technology Master Audio Compact 10 & 20 + Klipsch RSW 12 sub | Philips 42PFL5038/H12 | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC based on AMD A10-6700 APU and Win 8.1 x64 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV 4K | Sonos: 2 x CONNECT:AMP + CONNECT | QNAP TS-451 + TS-131P
post #89 of 122 Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekf View Post
ARC depends on HDMI CEC, which is always problematic for me.. with Sony and Philips TVs. So, I am using an optical cable.

BTW, did anybody notice that Onkyo added eARC support for these receivers in the latest firmware ? This is actually a feature from HDMI 2.1.

I am only wondering which TV can actually output high-res Dolby incl Atmos or DTS over ARC, specially from streaming apps or their own video player.
eARC support is for the 830 only.

Brian
post #90 of 122 Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse1 View Post
eARC support is for the 830 only.

Brian
Yup, missed that remark in de PDF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
dolby atmos , dts:x , Onkyo , spotify , tx-nr585 , tx-nr686 , tx686 , video select

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page