Onkyo TX-NR585 & TX-NR686 7.2 AVRs Unveiled - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #121 of 125 Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo Cutting Out

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted this to the wrong section.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR686 driving Q Acoustics 3050i fronts, (and for context but not relevant to this post a 3090i centre, 3010i surrounds, QI65C ceiling mounted Atmos speakers and a 3060s subwoofer.)

When in 2.0 or 2.1 mode (Stereo or Pure Audio using the 3050i pair and/or 3060s) streaming Tidal from a Chromecast Ultra, the amp cuts out when peaks hit approx 90db from the listener position (approx 3m away) as measured with a Radio Shack SPL (C weighted, slow). I called the store and they told me that i was diving them too hard and that i needed to lower the volume. Does this sound right to you? If i am indeed driving the speakers too hard then fair enough, but just want some second opinions in case i should pursue this further with the store.

Thanks
DonRom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 Old 10-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does the Chromecast built-in feature only support audio or can you also send video from a PC running Google Chrome or a phone?
post #123 of 125 Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 686. I just bought it and can't set it up. The headphone symbol is on, I'm locked out of all speaker settings & when I plug in the set-up mike, it says "phones engaged." For whatever reason, it seems to think headphones are plugged in and I can't figure out how to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 125 Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6538 Post(s)
Liked: 5886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post
I have a 686. I just bought it and can't set it up. The headphone symbol is on, I'm locked out of all speaker settings & when I plug in the set-up mike, it says "phones engaged." For whatever reason, it seems to think headphones are plugged in and I can't figure out how to fix.
This is usually caused by dust/dirt in the headphone jack. Try using some canned compressed air in the headphone jack. Also, you can try inserting/removing a headphone connector into the jack a few times to dislodge any dirt that is in there.
post #125 of 125 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4959 Post(s)
Liked: 4451
I'm in the market for a new 4K receiver and I think I've narrowed it down to the Onkyo TX-NR686 and Denon AVR-X2500H...taking price and Audyssey software out of the equation which is the better buy for me?...I have an LG C7 OLED along with an LG 4K Blu-ray player and dedicated 5.1 (speakers 6 Ohms, 87 dB, Recommended Power= 50-200 Watts)...I don't want to break the bank on a new AVR so am looking for a great price/performance bang for the buck AVR

the Onkyo and Denon both seem to get excellent reviews...the Denon has the better room correction software with Audyssey but is that really that important?...I'm mainly looking for quality audio along with full 4K HDR, Dolby Vision, HLG support along with the usual Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus support...plus I would like the receiver to be able to upscale all content on my TV to 4K (meaning 1080i, 480i etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
dolby atmos , dts:x , Onkyo , spotify , tx-nr585 , tx-nr686 , tx686 , video select

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page