Help deciding: Denon AVR-X4400H or Marantz SR7011 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By pbz06
  • 1 Post By Cleveland Plasma
  • 1 Post By bslep
  • 1 Post By Stephen Hopkins
  • 1 Post By samovies10
  • 2 Post By samovies10

post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Help deciding: Denon AVR-X4400H or Marantz SR7011

So I am currently looking to make a slight upgrade in my setup by upgrading my receiver. I currently have a Yamaha 5030 receiver but it lacks Dolby Vision passthrough and based on other logistics it'd just be better to get one that has that capability (even though I know both models have slightly less power output than the 3050). Plus, I would prefer Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for calibration instead of Yamaha's proprietary YPAO which is good but could be better.

My question is, which one would be a better choice? One of my local dealers is selling a new Denon 4400 for $900, and they also have a Marantz 7011 on display on a shelf which he says was never actually used for $1099. Would the extra $200 be worth it on the Marantz?

I do like that the Marantz has inputs for 7.1 so when I upgrade to a processor I do not have to buy an external amp right away (I am not really planning to buy a processor until a few years from now but I like planning for the future). The Denon lacks that but it is this year's new model, but again, I want to hear opinions on whether the $200 difference is worth it or not, and any other differences that might be important between them. I have someone buying the 5030 from me tomorrow and I am planning to buy the other receiver by tomorrow as well so any prompt replies are very much appreciated.

Setup:
Spoiler!

Last edited by samovies10; 04-12-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I don't know if the $200 is worth it nor can compare with the Denon, but I have the sr7011 and it's been great!
samovies10 likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I don't know if the $200 is worth it nor can compare with the Denon, but I have the sr7011 and it's been great!
Thanks. Right now I’m leaning towards the Denon as the 7.1 input seems to be the only difference other than the design, and since I’m not planning to upgrade to a separate processor any time soon, the price difference seems like it’s not worth it.

Setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
If you do not need the added features you are over buying.......If you know you will never need these features save the $200 for another toy down the road
samovies10 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by samovies10 View Post
So I am currently looking to make a slight upgrade in my setup by upgrading my receiver. I currently have a Yamaha 5030 receiver but it lacks Dolby Vision passthrough and based on other logistics it'd just be better to get one that has that capability (even though I know both models have slightly less power output than the 3050). Plus, I would prefer Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for calibration instead of Yamaha's proprietary YPAO which is good but could be better.

My question is, which one would be a better choice? One of my local dealers is selling a new Denon 4400 for $900, and they also have a Marantz 7011 on display on a shelf which he says was never actually used for $1099. Would the extra $200 be worth it on the Marantz?

I do like that the Marantz has inputs for 7.1 so when I upgrade to a processor I do not have to buy an external amp right away (I am not really planning to buy a processor until a few years from now but I like planning for the future). The Denon lacks that but it is this year's new model, but again, I want to hear opinions on whether the $200 difference is worth it or not, and any other differences that might be important between them. I have someone buying the 5030 from me tomorrow and I am planning to buy the other receiver by tomorrow as well so any prompt replies are very much appreciated.
I had the SR7010 and now own the 4400. They are really very similar sound wise. Personally, I like the full face plate of the Denon better than the fish eye of the Marantz. Both are very good receivers and you can’t go wrong with either.
samovies10 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The full display of the Denon was going to be my comment as well. I have the SR6011 and, at the time, thought long and hard about spending an extra $130 for the Denon X4300H JUST for the full display... in retrospect, I ALMOST wish I had and currently the price difference is even less (though that's because the SR6011 had gone up in price, not the X4300H coming down). I'm not a fan of OSD in general and I find myself forced to use it to verify things like surround mode (particularly to see if ATMOS is engaged) since the Marantz display is tiny and requires the setting to be cycled to even engage the display of the relevant info anyway. The SR7011 does have the benefit of a full sub-display but it is located under the front door and would require it to either be lowered or left open at all times to be of much use.

Given the opportunity to pay LESS for the X4300H or X4400H AND eliminate my only real complaint about the Marantz units, I would do so in a heartbeat.
samovies10 likes this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. You guys convinced me to get the 4400. I actually just got back from my local dealer with it:

I’ll set it up shortly. Hopefully there’s nothing defective with it.
bslep likes this.

Setup:
Spoiler!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Did you get a chance to set it up? Any thoughts on Yamaha's YPAO vs Denon's Audyssey XT 32?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
I went from a denon 4311 to a Yamaha 3050 and I thought YPAO was an improvement.

Are you sure the 3050 won't pass dolby vision? I thought it would just pass the video on to the TV without caring about the details of it.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I went from a denon 4311 to a Yamaha 3050 and I thought YPAO was an improvement.

Are you sure the 3050 won't pass dolby vision? I thought it would just pass the video on to the TV without caring about the details of it.
I had the 3050 before buying the Marantz SR7010 and thought just the opposite. I found the 3050 rather pedestrian and the Marantz much more engaging.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergr View Post
Did you get a chance to set it up? Any thoughts on Yamaha's YPAO vs Denon's Audyssey XT 32?
Yeah I was able to it set up that Friday night and ran the whole calibration with 8 listening positions (keep in mind that I kept all speakers and components the same, I only basically disconnected the 3050, replaced it with the 4400 on the media center shelf, and connected it to the same speakers and components/players). I watched a few episodes of Lost in Space (new Netlifx remake released this past Friday) through my Xbox One X in HDR10 and Dolby Atmos. I reserved judgement until watching well-known content but it did sound very good (I was actually surprised at how well the Atmos mix is on the series considering it was streaming and not a film). I then sampled a few scenes from the UHD blu-ray of Star Wars: The Last Jedi to make a better comparison (since I’d previously watched it on the 3050). I also watched Dr. Strange on blu-ray yesterday (DTS-HD MA 7.1 upmixed with DTS Neural:X). So I’m basing my current impressions on that content so far. I have to say Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32 does a better job not just calibrating it but simply any time you’re playing something everything just sounds more seamless than it did with Yamaha’s YPAO R.S.C. I think a big part of that was the bass management. If I remember correctly YPAO only includes the sub during calibration as far as distance and levels goes (and of course, setting the crossover), but doesn’t account for latency nor apply anything else that this version of Audyssey does. The calibration process is longer too (more sound signals, more positions, longer time calculating the data) which leads me to believe Audyssey takes more data into account than what YPAO captures and processes. Also, If I moved to either side of the main listening position, the sound was less unbalanced than with the 3050. There was still some unbalance, but it wasn’t as pronounced as it was with the 3050 which means it just expands the sweet spot for the listening position. Another thing, not directly related to Audyssey but still very convenient on this receiver, is that the listening modes engage to the most appropriate one automatically depending on the input signal. So if I was playing Dolby Atmos the receiver would automatically switch to Dolby Atmos mode. If the input was any other Dolby signal (DD 5.1, for example), the receiver would automatically switch to Dolby Surround mode; if the input was a DTS signal that wasn’t DTS-X, it would automatically engage DTS Neural:X. This is a very convenient upgrade for me because with the 3050 whatever sound mode you had used last, that was what it would use next time you turned it on, not mattering what the input signal was. This was frustrating at times because if I was watching something in Dolby Atmos or DTS-X and I had previously used Dolby Surround to upmix (which I always used for non-3D sound), the receiver would apply Dolby Surround to the Atmos or DTS-X signal, which meant ignoring the metadata and only using the 7.1 bed and then upmixing that to immersive sound which meant pseudo-3D sound and not the actual Atmos or DTS-X metadata. I’d be halfway through a UHD blu-ray of Harry Potter (DTS-X MA) and I’d be thinking to myself that the track was not very immersive. That would quickly be followed by the realization that it was in D Surround mode, that I had forgotten to switch it to direct mode for DTS-X, and then frustration. So I’m very glad that I don’t have to worry about that with this receiver. Back to actual content, I remember during the bombers sequence at the beginning of the The Last Jedi the bass just sounded more involved and seemed to be working in conjunction with the other speakers better. With Dr. Strange I could almost swear at times the track was a native 3D sound mix with the DTS Neural:X (with the 3050 I would’ve left it in D Surround).

But short answer, I prefer Audyssey so far. It just sounds more seamless and balanced than how it sounded with YPAO. The speakers seem to be in more “harmony” with each other (excuse the poor choice of words) and the sweet spot for the listening position is wider now. And again, even though it’s not directly related to it, the automatic sound-mode switching as dependent on the input signal is a very convenient feature. Also, the GUI is more user-friendly. Not a big deal but I’ve gone through about 5 receivers now (Onkyo, an LG HTIB, two Yamaha’s, and now this one) and the Denon seems the most intuitive one so far.
nlpearman and RobKnapp like this.

Setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page