HELP!!! Really strange problem! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkeener71

post #1 of 16 Old 04-19-2018, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HELP!!! Really strange problem!

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! The Apple TV 4k turned on ULTRA HD Deep Color and the Cable Box is not compatible!!! OMG!!! If anyone else has this problem, now you know!!!

I'm running an ONKYO TX-RZ710 and all of the sudden, I am getting no sound from the CBL/SAT input when I watch cable. I tried different HDMI cables, I swapped cable boxes and nothing. I connected the cable box to the AUX input and I do get sound, so it's not the box or cables. I checked the settings on the (both) boxes and they are set to output digital. When I connect something else to CBL/SAT (blu-ray) I get sound. One time I saw a quick error message flash on the screen but it went away too fast for me to see what it said. When the cable box is connected the front display does not say HDMI, but when I connect the blu-ray it does. Is there a setting I'm missing? Did my 2 year old daughter press a button on the remote??? HELP!!!

UPDATE- I think it's a bad input. I started getting no picture or sound, so I swapped things around again and even with the blu-ray connected I'm still getting no picture or sound. I think that one time may have just been the input working one last time.

UPDATE 2- I called Onkyo and did some troubleshooting and we are both perplexed. Here is what was done...

Full reset to factory settings.
Swapped cable boxes.
Disconnected all devices except the one we are testing
Cable Box in CBL/SAT = Picture but NO SOUND
Cable Box in BD/DVD = Picture and sound
Blu-ray Player in CBL/SAT = Picture and sound
Blu-ray Player in BD/DVD = Picture and sound
Cable Box in PC = Picture and sound

Multiple HDMI cables used with the same result.

So the ONLY combination that doesn't work is Cable Box in CBL/SAT, which only stopped working 4 days ago and had been working for 7 months. The only thing that changed in all that time is I added APPLE TV to the receiver but in a different input.

HELP ME!!!!!!

LG OLED65C7P - Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup -Definitive Pro Center 2000 - Klipsch ICON WF-34 Fronts - Klipsch ICON WB-14 Rears - Monoprice Caliber 8 Ceiling - Klipsch R‑12SWi - LG UP970 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by torkibe; 04-22-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

No one has anything?

LG OLED65C7P - Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup -Definitive Pro Center 2000 - Klipsch ICON WF-34 Fronts - Klipsch ICON WB-14 Rears - Monoprice Caliber 8 Ceiling - Klipsch R‑12SWi - LG UP970 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3 of 16 Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Just when you think Onkyo has fixed their problems - they didn't.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html

(WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Did you have both cable boxes in the house , or did you go get a replacement ? Maybe the cable company pushed an update that did something silly . It really sounds like something strange with the input , but since it's only the cable boxes in the cable input , to rule out all external options , I'd say either factory reset the cable box or go get a replacement and try it fresh , with a factory reset on the receiver again . If you get the same results then send the receiver in for service .

Oh , just thought this , turn of any and all ARC or CEC if you have them on , both utterly suck and can randomly gum up the works , I lost either audio or video , can't remember which now , with them turned on between my PS3 and my old Onkyo . Turning everything off then back on would restore everything , then it would eventually happen again . Took a while to figure out what the problem was . Good luck.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #5 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 316
That IS pretty weird. Maybe the cable box output is set to something the CBL input doesn't like but the BD input is OK with? OR some bizarre grounding loop comes into being like with the TV or something? Sorry, it's really odd. And yeah, I'd try resetting both units and power up the cable box first, then the receiver.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Just when you think Onkyo has fixed their problems - they didn't.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html
I looked at that... But why just one item on one input?

post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Did you have both cable boxes in the house , or did you go get a replacement ? Maybe the cable company pushed an update that did something silly . It really sounds like something strange with the input , but since it's only the cable boxes in the cable input , to rule out all external options , I'd say either factory reset the cable box or go get a replacement and try it fresh , with a factory reset on the receiver again . If you get the same results then send the receiver in for service .

Oh , just thought this , turn of any and all ARC or CEC if you have them on , both utterly suck and can randomly gum up the works , I lost either audio or video , can't remember which now , with them turned on between my PS3 and my old Onkyo . Turning everything off then back on would restore everything , then it would eventually happen again . Took a while to figure out what the problem was . Good luck.
Just another box in the house. I guess that could make some sort of sense, but why just that particular combo? And I do use ARC because I have a Dolby ATMOS setup. I believe I tried that, but I'll try again in sequential order to be sure.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
I looked at that... But why just one item on one input?
Let's be honest here, things are gonna break. My Home Theater was fine and then one day my speakers starting making a loud cracking noise and then my previous Onkyo TX-NR636 turned itself off. I was using it normally, didn't try to blow my speakers (stating just in case). From that point on, it would turn on for a like 5 - 10 seconds and shut itself off. I had it for about 3 years.

I bought my Yamaha receiver and everything is great again.

Unfortunately you (like me) probably got unlucky and got one that is failing/failed/defective and you probably going to have it repaired or replaced.

I hope you figure out some way to figure it out without having to repair/replace though.
Knucklehead90 likes this.

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 03:09 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post
Let's be honest here, things are gonna break. My Home Theater was fine and then one day my speakers starting making a loud cracking noise and then my previous Onkyo TX-NR636 turned itself off. I was using it normally, didn't try to blow my speakers (stating just in case). From that point on, it would turn on for a like 5 - 10 seconds and shut itself off. I had it for about 3 years.

Unfortunately you (like me) probably got unlucky and got one that is failing/failed/defective and you probably going to have it repaired or replaced.

I hope you figure out some way to figure it out without having to repair/replace though.
Yamaha seems to have the most solid audio gear these days. I'm using one for my multi channel setup. Which is integrated with my A-S1000 amp. They just work.

I'm getting nervous about the Onkyo stereo setup in the bedroom now. It's the 8270 stereo receiver with 4 HDMI ports. HDMI equipped stereo receivers are a rare bird. I hope it lasts a while, like longer than those 4 Onkyo/Integra products I had 8-9 years ago. I still haven't quite forgiven Onkyo for those failures. The two that were under warranty when they died were the two most expensive ones.

(WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just another box in the house. I guess that could make some sort of sense, but why just that particular combo? And I do use ARC because I have a Dolby ATMOS setup. I believe I tried that, but I'll try again in sequential order to be sure.
Just trying to eliminate any and all possibilities . They could have pushed an update to your cable boxes that is doing something crazy with a default on that input on your receiver.

Why does having atmos require ARC ? I'm curious because I don't need it with my Pioneer , as near as I know , from my source to the receiver . That's not real world , only reading whats required as I havent hooked up the atmos speakers yet . If I need ARC for Atmos , then Atmos is out , I won't fight with that buggy nonsense.

Anyway , hope you get it sorted out.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Why does having atmos require ARC ? I'm curious because I don't need it with my Pioneer , as near as I know , from my source to the receiver . That's not real world , only reading whats required as I havent hooked up the atmos speakers yet . If I need ARC for Atmos , then Atmos is out , I won't fight with that buggy nonsense.

Anyway , hope you get it sorted out.
I should have specified... I need it for Netflix ATMOS. Right now the only devices that support ATMOS for Netflix are some X-Box, certain Windows 10 apps and the LG OLED TVs.

post #12 of 16 Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

I just can't get past the specificity of the issue. It doesn't sound like something that hardware failure would cause. Honestly, I'm about to cut the cord on cable anyway so that HDMI input probably won't be used. If I don't fix the issue, the only time I could have a problem would be if I have too many devices that need HDCP 2.2.

post #13 of 16 Old 04-21-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I should have specified... I need it for Netflix ATMOS. Right now the only devices that support ATMOS for Netflix are some X-Box, certain Windows 10 apps and the LG OLED TVs.
Ahh , didn't think of that , thought I might have missed something , thanks for the details .

Quote:
I just can't get past the specificity of the issue. It doesn't sound like something that hardware failure would cause. Honestly, I'm about to cut the cord on cable anyway so that HDMI input probably won't be used. If I don't fix the issue, the only time I could have a problem would be if I have too many devices that need HDCP 2.2.
If you don't care about repair , just use a different input for cable and relabel it in the settings ? I don't have a cable box , my chromecast is plugged into that input and I labeled it chromcast , slightly annoying on the remote , but then the only input I have that matches the button names is PC

post #14 of 16 Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

NEW UPDATE:

I connected the Box directly to HDMI 2 on the TV and got picture but NO SOUND!!!! Then I tried a different box and got the same result. Then I moved it to HDMI 1 and I got picture and sound from the box directly to the TV AND from the receiver on CBL/SAT!!! So, it seems to be when the TV is getting a signal into INPUT 2 that is identified AS Cable? When the receiver says it's something else (BD/AUX/GAME) the TV and Receiver pass the sound. So, I have to think the receiver is NOT the culprit and it's either the TV or the Cable. But, since the issue persists no matter what box I use (I tried a third box) I'm leaning more toward the TV and possible ARC causing issues. UGGGGHHHH!!!!

post #15 of 16 Old 04-22-2018, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! The Apple TV 4k turned on ULTRA HD Deep Color and the Cable Box is not compatible!!! OMG!!! If anyone else has this problem, now you know!!!

post #16 of 16 Old 04-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Not that I would buy anything from Apple, but good to know.

At least I was kinda right. The cable box don't like your Apple.

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page