AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   2018 Pioneer VSX-933 new generation AV Receiver (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2973054-2018-pioneer-vsx-933-new-generation-av-receiver.html)

dfa973 04-22-2018 11:54 PM

2018 Pioneer VSX-933 7.2ch new generation AV Receiver

Pioneer VSX-933 replaces the 2017 model VSX-932.

VSX-933 has resolved the 2 major letdowns of the VSX-932 2017 model:
- low count of HDMI inputs (4)
- no Zone 2

Differences from VSX-932:

- a little more power +5W (130 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven vs 135 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven;

- 2 extra HDMI Inputs (HDMI 4 In (4 Assignable) vs (HDMI 6 In (4 Assignable))

- 1 extra AV (Composite) 2 In (Assignable)

- ZONE 2 Pre/Line Out

- Speaker 9 ch Out (FRONT, CENTER, SURROUND, SURROUND BACK/HEIGHT/Bi-AMP, ZONE 2) but there are still only 7 amps - AVR switches between SURROUND BACK/HEIGHT/Bi-AMP and ZONE 2 posts;

- 30Watt less power consumption (Power Consumption/Standby: 480 W/0.15 W vs Power Consumption/Standby: 450 W/0.15 W)

- larger chassis (Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 173 x 320.5 mm vs Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 173 x 370.5 mm)

Notes:
- no eARC or other HDMI 2.1 features implemented or anounced!!!

Website: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu...oducts/vsx-933

Datasheet: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/si...sh/VSX-933.pdf

https://hometheaterreview.com/new-vs...-from-pioneer/

m1ghtyun1t 09-23-2018 03:33 PM

Thank you for you for this thread OP. ATM I can get the 932 for much cheaper than the 933 and so I did. I hope that was the right move.

PS: sorry for digging up an old thread.

HammerJoe 12-16-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ghtyun1t (Post 56854234)
Thank you for you for this thread OP. ATM I can get the 932 for much cheaper than the 933 and so I did. I hope that was the right move.

PS: sorry for digging up an old thread.

How do you like the receiver so far?
I am looking at the 932 as a replacement for my old receiver.

HammerJoe 12-17-2018 08:27 AM

Does this receiver handle 8ohm speakers?

afrogt 12-17-2018 02:53 PM

of course, 8 ohm speakers are the easiest to power.

HammerJoe 12-24-2018 07:43 AM

Onkyo tx-r686 or this Pioneer?

I cant decide between these two.
So my question is there a significant difference between 80W and 100W power?

HammerJoe 12-27-2018 07:41 AM

This thread doesnt get alot of traffic.
Are people avoiding this receiver altogether?

Btw what is Pioneer commitment to firmware updates? 1 year? 2 years?

Also is Mcacc better than Onkyos AccuEq? I see that Mcacc does not allow individual speakers crossover settings while the Onkyo does. Not sure how important this is.

eriksells916 12-27-2018 01:33 PM

Joe I think I responded to you in another thread? However I am glad I found this one because after looking at it closely, the 686 actually now has the advanced version of accueq. Also, if you look in the 676 forum there are lots of issues with the 676 and arc and input switching randomly.

Keep us posted since I too am looking at the x1400, vsx-933, lx103 or 686 for the kids gaming area.

HammerJoe 12-27-2018 05:49 PM

I end up getting the 933.
It was the cheapest of the bunch and has all the features that I need.
Hopefully it outputs great sound.

mbm1000 12-29-2018 11:46 AM

Just got this 933.
But when playing spotify connect it disconnects after 2-3 songs.
Anybody else experience this?

HammerJoe 01-03-2019 07:41 AM

I got the 933 and have it set up and have been playing with it for the last couple hours.

ARC unfortunately doesnt seem to work with my Hisense tv. For some reason either the TV locks up or the sound is directed to the tv speakers even if the source is from something else like the cable DVR.
So I disabled it.

I ran MCACC and I checked the info and it seems pretty accurate for the distances.

But I find that while sound is loud/decent using the NET functions, the sound is quite low coming from my DVR receiver connected via HDMI.
Is there a way to boos the sound level just for that input without messing up MCACC?

oliver44 01-04-2019 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerJoe (Post 57369090)
I got the 933 and have it set up and have been playing with it for the last couple hours.

ARC unfortunately doesnt seem to work with my Hisense tv. For some reason either the TV locks up or the sound is directed to the tv speakers even if the source is from something else like the cable DVR.
So I disabled it.

I ran MCACC and I checked the info and it seems pretty accurate for the distances.

But I find that while sound is loud/decent using the NET functions, the sound is quite low coming from my DVR receiver connected via HDMI.
Is there a way to boos the sound level just for that input without messing up MCACC?

Hello, Check for a new update for VSX-933 01/04/2019 1030-6000-1040-0010!
I have just applied the following equalizer settings manually on VSX-933, search on youtube the following Pioneer AV-R EQ Equalizer Einstellungen Heimkino / AV Receiver Series SC / LX / VSX :cool:
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually.

HammerJoe 01-04-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver44 (Post 57376138)
Hello, Check for a new update for VSX-933 01/04/2019 1030-6000-1040-0010!
I have just applied the following equalizer settings manually on VSX-933, search on youtube the following Pioneer AV-R EQ Equalizer Einstellungen Heimkino / AV Receiver Series SC / LX / VSX :cool:
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually.

Wow quite a difference in the sound. definitely louder which is good, and i think crisper too but when I compare the two settings before the correction it sounded fuller (albeit duller) so I am undecided which version (on or before eq) is the "real" sound.

What do you think?

Btw I cant change the band 63. Also I take that these settings are to be applied to all speakers right?

oliver44 01-04-2019 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello

For me it was easy with the settings, i use a 2.1 system, i have configured these settings on both speakers!
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually, you can adjust some settings from AV Adjust.

oliver44 01-04-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbm1000 (Post 57343498)
Just got this 933.
But when playing spotify connect it disconnects after 2-3 songs.
Anybody else experience this?

Installs the latest firmware version and try using the remote app pioneer application, i use this application on my phone and i have no problems.

alexbolduc 01-12-2019 05:21 PM

Hello all, I have a VSX-933 and I have a problem to connect my cable box to it. I connect it via HDMI and I can’t have sound pass with the HDMI, I try every 6 hdmi in without success, if the cable box is plugged directly in my tv (Q7F) i have no problem with audio. All other deceive plugged in receiver have sound via HDMI. Other thing when I plug my receiver and do info I see the input audio at Analog but don’t have/found any way to change the input audio at HDMI only Coax or Optical... witch when hooked up with an optical work...

Thanks if you have a clue or point me where to post my question if i’m not at the right place!

RKSKYDANCER 01-12-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

So I disabled it.

Make sure your HDMI cables are premium certified cables. Try enabling ARC on TV and receiver, enabling HDMI standby through and disable CEC. Also audio TV out to off.

Quote:

Always Level match all your different sources with the Input volume absorber before doing any EQ adjustments.

You can also check your DVR receiver and be sure it is set to stereo, Not dolby digital 2.0 or 5.1. This makes the source louder. Your receiver will upgrade the stereo input to 5.1 by setting it to Dolby digital. It will sound the same but be louder. At least this is how my Xfinity DVR operates.

HammerJoe 01-13-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbolduc (Post 57428544)
Hello all, I have a VSX-933 and I have a problem to connect my cable box to it. I connect it via HDMI and I can’t have sound pass with the HDMI, I try every 6 hdmi in without success, if the cable box is plugged directly in my tv (Q7F) i have no problem with audio. All other deceive plugged in receiver have sound via HDMI. Other thing when I plug my receiver and do info I see the input audio at Analog but don’t have/found any way to change the input audio at HDMI only Coax or Optical... witch when hooked up with an optical work...

Thanks if you have a clue or point me where to post my question if i’m not at the right place!

Did you check in the settings input/ouput assign/hdmi?

HammerJoe 01-13-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER (Post 57428782)
Make sure your HDMI cables are premium certified cables. Try enabling ARC on TV and receiver, enabling HDMI standby through and disable CEC. Also audio TV out to off.

Always Level match all your different sources with the Input volume absorber before doing any EQ adjustments.

You can also check your DVR receiver and be sure it is set to stereo, Not dolby digital 2.0 or 5.1. This makes the source louder. Your receiver will upgrade the stereo input to 5.1 by setting it to Dolby digital. It will sound the same but be louder. At least this is how my Xfinity DVR operates.

I used the volume absorber to add +5db and also used the equaliser settings shown in a previous message. The receiver is now loud just how I like it.

alexbolduc 01-13-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerJoe (Post 57433328)
Did you check in the settings input/ouput assign/hdmi?

Here what I got in the setting.

HDMI Input:
CBL/SAT:HDMI2 (HDCP 2.2) (Since all HDMI are assigned from 1 to 4 I only get "---" and HDMI2 as a choice)
Digital Audio Input:
CBL/SAT: "---" (Only choice is "---", Optical or Coaxial)
Analog Audio Input:
CBL/SAT: "---" (Choice is "---", Audio 1 to 4)

If I plug my Xbox One X in the CBL/SAT HDMI in (HDMI 2) I got image and sound by HDMI with this setting on the Receiver.

I did a Factory reset without success...

I don't know If I miss something somewhere. I can remember if in the first day I plug everything the sound work but the ARC from my TV (launching Netflix on the TV) have like over pass the sound of the CBL Box and now don't work anymore.

On my Cable box I don't have many choice. Dolby, PCM or HDMI Autoselect. And like I said if my cable box is plugged directly in my TV I have the sound via HDMI and return it back to the Receiver with the TV input(output) with an optical cable for the sound... On the TV the sound is set at Bitstream / Dolby and it is recognized by the amp.

eriksells916 01-13-2019 08:20 PM

Alex I a have a hisense 65r6d with 2 hdmi inputs (Wave cable box and sony bluray) Those are then fed to my Integra avr via optical out from the tv. I get dts 5.1 sound from both hdmi sources.

my settings on the hisense are....settings/audio/spdif =D + DTS (due to old pre-hdmi Integra)

hope that helps?

alexbolduc 01-14-2019 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriksells916 (Post 57434418)
Alex I a have a hisense 65r6d with 2 hdmi inputs (Wave cable box and sony bluray) Those are then fed to my Integra avr via optical out from the tv. I get dts 5.1 sound from both hdmi sources.

my settings on the hisense are....settings/audio/spdif =D + DTS (due to old pre-hdmi Integra)

hope that helps?

Thanks Erik, I know passing by the TV it work but what I wish not to pass by my TV and use only the HDMI in on my receiver (The receiver is made for that in a sense! ;) )

eriksells916 01-14-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbolduc (Post 57435042)
Thanks Erik, I know passing by the TV it work but what I wish not to pass by my TV and use only the HDMI in on my receiver (The receiver is made for that in a sense! ;) )

Yea. I think the 933 has video upscaling maybe you need to turn it off and to straight pass-through, fwiw?

HammerJoe 01-15-2019 06:15 AM

If i rerun mcacc calibration does it reset the settings?
I'm asking because after reading about optimal subwoofer calibration settings and stuff.

Before i had the gain set at about half way in the sub and mcacc set up the sub level at +2.5.
Last night i increased the gain to 75% (3o clock on the knob) and ran mcacc and the sub level remained at +2.5.
That can't be right because i could hear the difference in the sub.

dfa973 01-15-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerJoe (Post 57440956)
If i rerun mcacc calibration does it reset the settings?

Yes, it should overwrite the old settings with the new values.

If not, try to reset the AVR.

alexbolduc 01-16-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriksells916 (Post 57436728)
Yea. I think the 933 has video upscaling maybe you need to turn it off and to straight pass-through, fwiw?

Nope not working! I give up and plug my CBL Box via Optical Cable. That way I can have my TV return via Optical and need to use the volume of the TV when I use on tv app. Maybe I will find the way to pass audio from my CBL Box via HDMI un a near future... Maybe the problem is the Cable Box itself (Cisco Explorer 9883HD)

Thanks to all who have try to help. If I found something in the future I will post it here to help if someone else have the same issue...

alexbolduc 01-16-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbolduc (Post 57446954)
Nope not working! I give up and plug my CBL Box via Optical Cable. That way I can have my TV return via Optical and need to use the volume of the TV when I use on tv app. Maybe I will find the way to pass audio from my CBL Box via HDMI un a near future... Maybe the problem is the Cable Box itself (Cisco Explorer 9883HD)

Thanks to all who have try to help. If I found something in the future I will post it here to help if someone else have the same issue...

can't have my tv audio return

Fredrik Rönnlund 01-29-2019 04:18 AM

Pioneer VSX-933 HDMI input problems

Hi,

I'm having problems with my newly purchased VSX-933. Everything works otherwise and sounds awesome but some of my devices pictures just don't show up when routing through the new receiver. My 4K AppleTV works great, and my PS3 works most of the time. My Wii and Xbox (original), both connected through HDMI (!) work great when connecting directly to the TV (LG 65" 4K OLED) but when routing through the receiver I can only hear their sound – but get no picture. I've tried different cables – but the same cables that work for the AppleTV don't work with the AV receiver. Same goes with the input ports on the receiver – same result: sound but no video.

Any thoughts or should I just take this back to the store?

alexbolduc 02-07-2019 06:18 AM

Hello All I have some news (founds) for you from my previous post.

Recap of the Setup.

Samsung Q7F (HDMI2-ARC) plugged in TV OUT HDMI of VSX-933
Cable Box plugged in CBL/SAT HDMI input of VSX-933

Problem can't manage to have the sound from Cable Box to VSX-933 via HDMI

Here what I have found last night by mistake. When Im unplugging the TV OUT HDMI from VSX-933 or TV, the Receiver switch to HDMI and I have sound via HDMI from my Cable box. If I plug back the TV OUT HDMI (VSX-933) the Audio switch back to Analog and no more sound from Cable box via HDMI. I will try to disable the ARC from my TV tonight to see if its that who overpass the sound of my Cable box.

But if that point you to something it will be great to hear from you!

Thanks a lot!

a100 02-18-2019 09:46 AM

Does the Pioneer VSX-933 have autoplay with Tunein and Deezer?

1 Attachment(s)
I am interested in a Pioneer VSX-933 if autoplay works with Tunein and Deezer. I mean the native net-access with login with the Pioneer app, and not using chromecast.

To check this, you have to look, if you can enter your login data with the Pioneer app. If so, play Tunein (and later Deezer), use the remote control, switch off the VSX-933 and switch it on again without doing anything else. Do you hear music?

It could be, that you have to check an option called "auto play", which I saw, when I used the webinterface of another Pioneer. See attachment.