AVS Forum banner

New Behringer NX Series: 1000/3000/6000 in Black

184K views 652 replies 166 participants last post by  jbnpaul 
#1 ·
Started getting this in my email last Friday for the NX1000. The NX3000 released today. Nothing official for the NX6000 yet but found a website that seems to have leaked the info early.

Looks like a refresh of the iNuke line with new black covering and very similar power handling capabilities. Don't see an official DSP version yet but I'm assuming one will soon follow and there seems to be product pages up for them already which I've linked. A buddy of mine said they fixed the high end of the frequency spectrum for better full range but not sure where he got that info.

Also, not sure if it was an omission, but don't see 8ohm specs listed on the 1000 or 3000. But I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible for 8ohm loads.

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/B...52440&l=3056_HTML&u=46632405&mid=7259792&jb=8

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/B...2440&l=3056_HTML&u=46809514&mid=7259792&jb=8#

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-NX6000-Power-Amplifier/2G7Z

DSP Versions:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/PA...NX1000D-Power-Amplifier-with-DSP-Control/2G82

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/PA...NX3000D-Power-Amplifier-with-DSP-Control/2G87

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/PA...NX6000D-Power-Amplifier-with-DSP-Control/2G8B

See less See more
#8 ·
It does look like a nice modern refreshed look. Akin to what the Crown XLS 02 series did.

A bunch of us from AVS who live in the North/Central Floirda region have a private Groupme thread where we've been speculating on the changes since we all are heavy into DIY and use iNukes for our Subs.

One guy, @Mattcc22, said this about why he think they fixed the High End Roll off.

The speaker impedence up high is what caused highs to roll off differently with changing load. Sounds like they fixed that flaw and are touting it as a new feature
He was basing that off the new feature called "SmartSense Loudspeaker Impedance compensation".

We were also wondering if they made any changes to the fan speeds and loudness but I don't really see anything mentioned about that. Hopefully they did. But all I see is this...

'Back-to-front' ventilation system prevents thermal buildup
So that answers your question... maybe. Because it seems they did a lot of copy and pasting from the previous model's info as noted below in this change.

Can be set up, controlled, and monitored via the front panel USB connector
Clearly, if you look at the pictures, they moved the USB port to the rear. It is a pro amp, so they likely were listening to the techs in the field on this one I think.

But it could be a real PITA for anyone who has a large rack unit and would need to run multiple wires that stick out and are labeled.

#3 ·
Yup, i discovered this too, as the shop here in Norway have all the inuke series listed as discontinued. Got the same info as you did, when i contacted them about it.

Reactions: bearcat2017
#4 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I was curious,

The orange/silver iNuke NU6000 is claimed to weigh under 12 pounds--the blackberry NX6000 is claimed to weigh under 13.2 pounds for at least a 1.2 pound increase. I hope that extra pound or so includes real heatsinks for better cooling and they now have a better fan system that is quiet--don't think black paint weighs that much!

Fixed the impedance problem with the high frequencies, nice...

Considering the amps weigh 10% more and cost around that MSRP anyway--there might be more to them than just black paint and good looks. Maybe...

Looking forward to June when they ship and the concept becomes clearer. My buddy has an iNuke and it works fine--just the orange lights and silver is rather garish. Don't forget the name change--NX sounds better to me than iNuke. Now if the things have larger heatsinks and can run quietly--count me in!

Maybe I can pick up the old iNukes for a new (used) garage amp--bid starts at 50 bucks. ;)

#22 ·
This is awesome. Was just looking at the 'blackberry' inuke thread earlier today in plans to paint my own black inuke.

#25 ·
Looks like they will cost ~ $50 more than current models.

Reactions: filtor1
#26 ·
I am hoping that is just an MSRP. Berry has the ability to do all of the upgrades for pennies. I am hopeful that these will be an improved iNuke, but only time will tell. Someone here with deeper pockets than me will buy and test it for us.

I really dig the aesthetics over the iNuke for sure.

#29 · (Edited)
A contrarians speculative view of the new redesign:

The good:
It's black, finally!

It will likely be very slightly quieter in stock form

*Impedence adjusting for those using these for full range operation vs just subs.

The bad:
Looking through the PDF, they have not updated or changed a single thing on the inside* (or even the outside, with the exception of cosmetic differences). You are still buying the same amp and DSP solution as before with zero updates*. To me this means no adjustment under 20 hz, which was a popular request around here. Even upping the PEQ count from 8 to 10 would have been a great update, but nada.

The fans will still be the same loud fans, with the same "variable speed control" as before, which is programmed with the same logic as before: -start cold at the loudness of a lawnmower, then if the unit gets hot, boost up speed to jet engine level. You might not be able to hear the fan quite as well as before because they closed up a large area of the front panel. The small gaps for ventilation on either side of the display have small holes. This means it will be hard to clean and will always look dusty. This unfortunately means very much reduced air flow as well. My guess is that there are no aerodynamic guides inside the chassis to guide airflow, and no added heatsinks for sure, as those would surely add a lot to the production cost. So basically it will likely be a slightly less noisy but vastly less capable cooling system. The conclusion I can draw from that is that it will no longer be a viable solution to fan-swap, as you'll just quickly cook your components. They seem to have fitted larger rubber feet on the bottom to compensate, as these amps have always been heat sinked to the bottom. Maybe the forum can start a crowdfund for a large finned heatsink made of powder coated aluminium that would screw right on to the bottom in place of the feet?

They did away with the handles. The handles weren't there so that you could do bench presses with that 12-pound monster. They were there so that if something touches the amp (anything from an overly enthusiastic groupie, to a labrador in the livingroom, or moving furniture when you're vacuuming), it doesn't touch any buttons or worse, snap off your knob!:eek: The new interface is much nicer looking for us home theater folks, but looks much more fragile. The black coating (probably cheap paint on the metal panels) will certainly scratch quickly and easily. YMMV, but to me these don't look anything like the go-anywhere, do anything "beat on 'em who cares" workhorses they replace. I really wonder how popular these will be in the professional market.

The LEDs are cooler-looking, but much less useful. The previous amps had LEDs indicating power levels of -24 dB, -12, -6, clip/protect. The new one has indicators for -40db, -6, -3, protect/clip.

They reduced the 4 ohm power claim from 3100W to 3000W. Is this Behringer being slightly more honest or did they really reduce power output?

One step forward, two steps back.

#33 ·
NOT a misprint... it went out on thousands of boxes, including mine.

Attachments

#34 ·
Here is a "review" of the actual power of a plain inuke 6000 (non dsp version) showing that it does between 2000-2100 watts. Down in the comments somewhere, Behringer themselves commented that they rate at "peak rms" or something like that and that they never claimed to rate at just rms values because "that is not how the industry rates amplifiers". If you take the "peak rms" value of 3100 watts that is listed on the box and multiply it by .707, you get 2191.7 watts, which is closer to what the reviewer got in the video. There are a couple of other comments from people who said they contacted Behringer and also got told that they specify "peak rms" values and to get just rms values, multiply by .707. Go figure. Still, this amp is tough to beat for the price for the power and features it has. Especially in today's world of 'disposable electronics'

#37 ·
Here is a "review" of the actual power of a plain inuke 6000 (non dsp version) showing that it does between 2000-2100 watts. Down in the comments somewhere, Behringer themselves commented that they rate at "peak rms" or something like that and that they never claimed to rate at just rms values because "that is not how the industry rates amplifiers". If you take the "peak rms" value of 3100 watts that is listed on the box and multiply it by .707, you get 2191.7 watts, which is closer to what the reviewer got in the video. There are a couple of other comments from people who said they contacted Behringer and also got told that they specify "peak rms" values and to get just rms values, multiply by .707. Go figure. Still, this amp is tough to beat for the price for the power and features it has. Especially in today's world of 'disposable electronics'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Z2fNcGGDI

1100WPC RMS is what I have seen WRT the prior models.

#35 ·
One more thought...

There is obviously no dust filter on the fan, and they have stated that it is still back to front ventilation. The smallest restriction the airflow needs to pass through is on the front now. Essentially, they have mounted an air filter AFTER the components that need protection. People with pets or just a dusty house might have little fuzzy blankets around all their electrical components on the inside, and there would be zero indication of that outside or any way to check without opening the case. Curious design decision.

Just to clarify, I'd love to be wrong in this case. I can't wait for some hands-on reviews to start happening, and for this forum to get a hold of one and do the teardown and full-on, in-depth testing that I love and appreciate greatly. Until then, all we can do is speculate.

Before posting I spent a few days thinking about upgrading my current inuke to this new one, but as I tend to do, I thought about it way too hard.:rolleyes: I hope someone here can explain that I'm wrong or even just it's not so bad so I can just upgrade already. I hate the way the old one looks (like a brush guard on an old Jeep:D). I was also on the fence about going "Blackberry" before I found this thread.

#36 ·
http://media.music-group.com/media/...NX3000 P0CHS_Product Information Document.pdf

SmartSense Impedance Compensation:
"NX3000's design also incorporates a significantly-higher damping factor that yields better amplifier control over the loudspeaker for stronger audio reproduction - especially in the LF area."

Before:
NU1000 - >155
NU3000 - >160
NU6000 - >140

After:
NX1000 - >155
NX3000 - >145
NX6000 - >140

:mad:

#38 ·
http://media.music-group.com/media/...NX3000 P0CHS_Product Information Document.pdf

SmartSense Impedance Compensation:
"NX3000's design also incorporates a significantly-higher damping factor that yields better amplifier control over the loudspeaker for stronger audio reproduction - especially in the LF area."

Before:
NU1000 - >155
NU3000 - >160
NU6000 - >140

After:
NX1000 - >155
NX3000 - >145
NX6000 - >140

:mad:

Not sure I understand the frowny face. Normally DF is not really an issue, unless you have too long of speaker wire at too small a gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.