"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2827Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 AM
Member
 
FutureMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all, I need help badly. I searched a bunch but nothing I found has helped.

I bought a brand new 3500H and after going through the Setup Assistant, I'm getting no video output from all sources, only audio and a black screen. I'm trying to connect an Apple TV 4K and PS4 (Non-Pro 4K) to the 3500 which outputs to a Samsung UN65JS8500. My old setup used a Sony STR-DH520 and didn't have any problems so I'm pretty frustrated as I've spent the whole day trying to figure it out.

I'm seeing the Denon logo on all sources where the device is turned off, or no device is plugged in. Once I turn on the device the screen goes black and all I hear is audio. If I enter Setup via the remote, I don't see the Setup UI on the TV until I turn OFF Video Conversion in the Video>Output Settings section.

Here's what I've tried:

- Reset to Factory Settings (3500H) twice going through the Setup Assistant
- Setup up with ARC turned off and on for TV and 3500
- Setup without using the the ARC HDMI inputs on the TV and 3500
- Setup with and without UHD/HDR
- Turned i/p Scaler HDMI off and on
- Tried a bunch of different "High Speed" cables
- Checked like a mad man that I have the right source selected on the TV

I've tried plugging the ATV 4K directly into the TV with the same HDMI cable with no problems, and can get a 4K HDR ouput signal on the TV.

I'm using these HDMI cables, could these be the problem?

- Monoprice Select Active Series High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], 10.2Gbps, 28AWG, 10ft, Black (Yes, I've checked and double checked the Source and Display are at the right ends)
- 3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores

Thanks for any help, I'm at my wits end.
FutureMcFly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 03:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If you start playing the movie audio, you should then be able to select the correct surround mode after pressing the MOVIE button.
Ofcourse I can select correct sound which is Dolby Atmos. Receiver recognize input signal as Atmos but problem still there. After pressing Info button speaker TML TMR are not highlighted as active even though there is sound comming from them.
The same movie the same setup other day speakers are highlighted ...
qwertyz666 is offline  
post #3153 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMcFly View Post
Hey all, I need help badly. I searched a bunch but nothing I found has helped.



I bought a brand new 3500H and after going through the Setup Assistant, I'm getting no video output from all sources, only audio and a black screen. I'm trying to connect an Apple TV 4K and PS4 (Non-Pro 4K) to the 3500 which outputs to a Samsung UN65JS8500. My old setup used a Sony STR-DH520 and didn't have any problems so I'm pretty frustrated as I've spent the whole day trying to figure it out.



I'm seeing the Denon logo on all sources where the device is turned off, or no device is plugged in. Once I turn on the device the screen goes black and all I hear is audio. If I enter Setup via the remote, I don't see the Setup UI on the TV until I turn OFF Video Conversion in the Video>Output Settings section.



Here's what I've tried:



- Reset to Factory Settings (3500H) twice going through the Setup Assistant

- Setup up with ARC turned off and on for TV and 3500

- Setup without using the the ARC HDMI inputs on the TV and 3500

- Setup with and without UHD/HDR

- Turned i/p Scaler HDMI off and on

- Tried a bunch of different "High Speed" cables

- Checked like a mad man that I have the right source selected on the TV



I've tried plugging the ATV 4K directly into the TV with the same HDMI cable with no problems, and can get a 4K HDR ouput signal on the TV.



I'm using these HDMI cables, could these be the problem?



- Monoprice Select Active Series High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], 10.2Gbps, 28AWG, 10ft, Black (Yes, I've checked and double checked the Source and Display are at the right ends)

- 3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores



Thanks for any help, I'm at my wits end.


Try setting your Apple TV output resolution to something lower (eg 1080p) and see if you get video. Those cables are too slow for
Dolby vision 4K at 60hz.

If you still don’t see video at 1080p (which those cables will handle easily) then the problem is probably something else.

Also make sure the avr is set to output video to the right HDMI out (I have the 4500 and it has two HDMI outs and you can select which it outputs to).

Sounds like a complex issue. I’d suggest independently testing each component to narrow down where the problem in the chain is. One time I had a similar problem and it turned out I had torqued the HDMI in the back of the tv and cracked the metal part (breaking the cable) and it took a while to figure that out. Also make sure you’re using the MHL HDMI port on the TV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian Lynch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3154 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMcFly View Post
Hey all, I need help badly. I searched a bunch but nothing I found has helped.

I bought a brand new 3500H and after going through the Setup Assistant, I'm getting no video output from all sources, only audio and a black screen. I'm trying to connect an Apple TV 4K and PS4 (Non-Pro 4K) to the 3500 which outputs to a Samsung UN65JS8500. My old setup used a Sony STR-DH520 and didn't have any problems so I'm pretty frustrated as I've spent the whole day trying to figure it out.

I'm seeing the Denon logo on all sources where the device is turned off, or no device is plugged in. Once I turn on the device the screen goes black and all I hear is audio. If I enter Setup via the remote, I don't see the Setup UI on the TV until I turn OFF Video Conversion in the Video>Output Settings section.

Here's what I've tried:

- Reset to Factory Settings (3500H) twice going through the Setup Assistant
- Setup up with ARC turned off and on for TV and 3500
- Setup without using the the ARC HDMI inputs on the TV and 3500
- Setup with and without UHD/HDR
- Turned i/p Scaler HDMI off and on
- Tried a bunch of different "High Speed" cables
- Checked like a mad man that I have the right source selected on the TV

I've tried plugging the ATV 4K directly into the TV with the same HDMI cable with no problems, and can get a 4K HDR ouput signal on the TV.

I'm using these HDMI cables, could these be the problem?

- Monoprice Select Active Series High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], 10.2Gbps, 28AWG, 10ft, Black (Yes, I've checked and double checked the Source and Display are at the right ends)
- 3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores

Thanks for any help, I'm at my wits end.
HDMI cables should be 4k/18gbps "Premium" certified cables.
mrtickleuk likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3155 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyz666 View Post
Ofcourse I can select correct sound which is Dolby Atmos. Receiver recognize input signal as Atmos but problem still there. After pressing Info button speaker TML TMR are not highlighted as active even though there is sound comming from them.
The same movie the same setup other day speakers are highlighted ...
Is AMP ASSIGN = Top Middle?
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3156 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Is AMP ASSIGN = Top Middle?
Yep it is.

It must be a software bug because as I said if I enter setup menu and change output level of those speakers they would be highlighted again Strange
qwertyz666 is offline  
post #3157 of 5864 Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyz666 View Post
Yep it is.

It must be a software bug because as I said if I enter setup menu and change output level of those speakers they would be highlighted again Strange
Can anyone here help me on this?:

Recently bought this receiver coming from 2009 Denon 1909.

When I set the Dynamic Volume to any setting other than OFF, whenever there is a drop in sound when watching TV/Blu Ray, such as a pause, and then sound resumes, it takes several seconds for the sound to ramp up to the normal volume. Conversely, when I watch TV and I'm forwarding, rewinding, for a split second after resuming play the audio level is high but quickly settles down to the correct level. My Denon 1909 never had this characteristic. Is this normal? Thanks!
NHTsurroundFAN is offline  
post #3158 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, been reading this board for some time but since i'm doing completely new home theater in new apartment i thought it would be smart to ask for some help
I'm am considering buying AVR-X3500H as my only device between: tv - nvidia shield and my old speakers B&W DM309
Recently i've read that most av-receivers don't have the option for blue-tooth audio output?
Since i would like to be able to switch output between speakers and my wireless headphones i would like to know is this the case with this denon series?
this is the article i saw > denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4709/~/connection-of-wireless-headphones (sry can't post links yet)
If this is true, what would you recommend for transmitting audio from my av-setup to my headphones?
pixel_juice is offline  
post #3159 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Now we know why every advice must be carefully examined and implemented only if it makes sense based in the system behavior being observed. The advisor does not and cannot know the system.
And if it had worked you'd be singing another tune. Bottom line is it was solid advice from a solid long time contributor in the Denon threads. He's got an older cable box that doesnt play well with the enhanced HDMI setting. Now he knows that for sure and also has ATC bend tested 18Gbps cables to boot.

The helper in this case has been right in his troubleshooting advice many more times than the OP's been which to my way of counting is once.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3160 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Don't worry, they'll be along shortly to tell you that you should try another "premium certified HDMI cable". Many problem everyone has is caused by their HDMI cables.

Fixed that for you.
ahblaza and mrtickleuk like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3161 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsman View Post
I'm trying to use Room Equalizer Wizard (REW) to characterize each channel with and without Audyssey.
Where would I input a test signal so that its output on all channels?


There is a stereo analog audio inputs on the back but how do I test 7 channels and subwoofer?


Thanks!
Better asked in the dedicated REW thread but you use the front auxiliary HDMI input and make sure you assign it to the front under Setup->Inputs-> Input Assign. You can also use the front auxiliary analog inputs but HDMI is better.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3162 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMcFly View Post
Hey all, I need help badly
The receivers default HDMI passthrough setting for data is Standard which is bottlenecked for older cable/sat boxes(HDMI 1.4) that don't play nice with the Enhanced HDMI setting. That might be your huckleberry. The lower resolution test should tell you this as well. Older 2016 models like mine switched this HDMI setting automatically. Now it's a setting change.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 04-29-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3163 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
Also make sure you’re using the MHL HDMI port on the TV.
Why would he need to do that? Thats a protocol for mirroring mobile phones and tablet screens to a TV set connecting to the micro USB port of the mobile device.
ahblaza and mrtickleuk like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3164 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Interactive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post

If I upgrade to the X3400/X3500 and input HDMI, will it down-convert and send the video signal out the component monitor output?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope.
Thanks for the reply on this. Just curious, what would happen if I had only an HDMI input and only a component output set up? Would it just NOT display anything, or would it down convert to SD?
Interactive is offline  
post #3165 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Why would he need to do that? Thats a protocol for mirroring mobile phones and tablet screens to a TV set connecting to the micro USB port of the mobile device.


On my old 4K TV (I was an early adopter) only the MHL HDMI port was HDCP 2.2 compliant. This was HDMI input 3. When I used any other HDMI input from the AVR to the display I would get the same symptoms the OP described (ie audio playback but no video on screen).

Just trying to help... I won’t bother anymore.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian Lynch is offline  
post #3166 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,469
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5174 Post(s)
Liked: 7494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
Thanks for the reply on this. Just curious, what would happen if I had only an HDMI input and only a component output set up? Would it just NOT display anything, or would it down convert to SD?
Nothing. Here's the diagram from my 4200 manual, it'll be similar. There's analogue->digital conversion, but no digital->analogue conversion for video formats.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DenonVideo.png
Views:	221
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2559810  

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #3167 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone use the separate 2ch playback settings on x4500h (and above)? I would be curious to know what are the use cases since there is not a lot of adjustments to be made.
timosilakka is offline  
post #3168 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by timosilakka View Post
Does anyone use the separate 2ch playback settings on x4500h (and above)? I would be curious to know what are the use cases since there is not a lot of adjustments to be made.
The most common is likely when you want to use your Front L/R speakers for music without the sub but with Audyssey enabled.
Madmax67 and timosilakka like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3169 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
Thanks for the reply on this. Just curious, what would happen if I had only an HDMI input and only a component output set up? Would it just NOT display anything, or would it down convert to SD?
For this use case, you would need to purchase an HDMI --> component converter.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3170 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_juice View Post
Hi, been reading this board for some time but since i'm doing completely new home theater in new apartment i thought it would be smart to ask for some help
I'm am considering buying AVR-X3500H as my only device between: tv - nvidia shield and my old speakers B&W DM309
Recently i've read that most av-receivers don't have the option for blue-tooth audio output?
Since i would like to be able to switch output between speakers and my wireless headphones i would like to know is this the case with this denon series?
this is the article i saw > denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4709/~/connection-of-wireless-headphones (sry can't post links yet)
If this is true, what would you recommend for transmitting audio from my av-setup to my headphones?
The new 2019 Denon AVRs will receive a firmware update to allow for audio transmission to Bluetooth headphones, otherwise, on these 2018 models, you can purchase a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter.
ahblaza, Klimax, Madmax67 and 1 others like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3171 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
FutureMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SOLVED: No video on all sources, only audio (Denon X3500H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
Try setting your Apple TV output resolution to something lower (eg 1080p) and see if you get video. Those cables are too slow for
Dolby vision 4K at 60hz.

If you still don’t see video at 1080p (which those cables will handle easily) then the problem is probably something else.

Also make sure the avr is set to output video to the right HDMI out (I have the 4500 and it has two HDMI outs and you can select which it outputs to).

Sounds like a complex issue. I’d suggest independently testing each component to narrow down where the problem in the chain is. One time I had a similar problem and it turned out I had torqued the HDMI in the back of the tv and cracked the metal part (breaking the cable) and it took a while to figure that out. Also make sure you’re using the MHL HDMI port on the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
HDMI cables should be 4k/18gbps "Premium" certified cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The receivers default HDMI passthrough setting for data is Standard which is bottlenecked for older cable/sat boxes(HDMI 1.4) that don't play nice with the Enhanced HDMI setting. That might be your huckleberry. The lower resolution test should tell you this as well. Older 2016 models like mine switched this HDMI setting automatically. Now it's a setting change.

UPDATE: After following your suggestions to check each part of the chain, it turns out the problem is with the Redmere cable between the TV and AVR. I tried a different cable there and it worked right away, and in 4k. I was reading back a few pages and saw recommendations to buy certified premium cables, so thankfully I had ordered some in the mean time. I went and ordered cables for all the connections now and it's working great so far, I've got 4K HDR, Enhanced HDMI turned on and it's glorious. Thanks to all your help!
Matt2026 and Madmax67 like this.
FutureMcFly is offline  
post #3172 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM
Member
 
FutureMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Why would he need to do that? Thats a protocol for mirroring mobile phones and tablet screens to a TV set connecting to the micro USB port of the mobile device.
Is there a specific HDMI port that's best for my setup? (Samsung UN65JS8500 / X3500H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
On my old 4K TV (I was an early adopter) only the MHL HDMI port was HDCP 2.2 compliant. This was HDMI input 3. When I used any other HDMI input from the AVR to the display I would get the same symptoms the OP described (ie audio playback but no video on screen).

Just trying to help... I won’t bother anymore.
I appreciated all the help you gave!
FutureMcFly is offline  
post #3173 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMcFly View Post
Is there a specific HDMI port that's best for my setup? (Samsung UN65JS8500 / X3500H)







I appreciated all the help you gave!
The one containing ARC if you plan on using audio passthrough HDMI from your TV's internal apps. Otherwise the ones rated full bandwidth (18Gbps) which usually includes the one for ARC and one or 2 others.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3174 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
On my old 4K TV (I was an early adopter) only the MHL HDMI port was HDCP 2.2 compliant. This was HDMI input 3. When I used any other HDMI input from the AVR to the display I would get the same symptoms the OP described (ie audio playback but no video on screen).

Just trying to help... I won’t bother anymore.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, ok. Just asking a clarifying question. No need to stop contributing. The written word makes things look harsher than they were meant to be asked sometimes. I was just curious as to your reasoning is all. No hard feelings. We all contribute based on our own individual experiences.
Matt2026 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3175 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,100
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMcFly View Post
UPDATE: After following your suggestions to check each part of the chain, it turns out the problem is with the Redmere cable between the TV and AVR. I tried a different cable there and it worked right away, and in 4k. I was reading back a few pages and saw recommendations to buy certified premium cables, so thankfully I had ordered some in the mean time. I went and ordered cables for all the connections now and it's working great so far, I've got 4K HDR, Enhanced HDMI turned on and it's glorious. Thanks to all your help!
Great job. You did the hard part which is taking total stranger's advice on the internet. Glad it was an easy fix.
Mike_WI and Matt2026 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3176 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 12,642
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The new 2019 Denon AVRs will receive a firmware update to allow for audio transmission to Bluetooth headphones, otherwise, on these 2018 models, you can purchase a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter.
Do you know if the speakers will be muted when Bluetooth audio is active?

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Charles R is offline  
post #3177 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The new 2019 Denon AVRs will receive a firmware update to allow for audio transmission to Bluetooth headphones, otherwise, on these 2018 models, you can purchase a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter.
tnx for the answer, i'm not sure how long would i have to wait for 2019 line to be available in my local store
anyway, i'm not dead set on denon, but X3500H seems like a really nice all-round device, i wanted to have decent enough stereo for music listening also

so if i would buy BT transmitter, does anyone have any recommendation?
pixel_juice is offline  
post #3178 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Interactive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
For this use case, you would need to purchase an HDMI --> component converter.
I had considered those, but I noticed none of them had digital audio output so I figured I'd lose the 5.1 audio. But it just occurred to me, thanks to your suggestion (duh!), that I could convert the MONITOR OUTPUT from the AVR rather than the input from the device(s).

This is exactly the direction I will go, thanks again.

If anyone has found an HDMI->Component adapter that works well, I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise I'll go grab one from monoprice or similar.


Now please allow the 2019-era discussions to continue uninterrupted.

Last edited by Interactive; 04-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Interactive is offline  
post #3179 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Interactive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering purchasing a refurb AVR-X3400H or AVR-X3500H.

Depending on where I look, it seems one difference may be Airplay (3400) vs. Airplay 2 (3500) support.

Any chance the 3400 is upgraded via firmware after it was discontinued?

If not, is it worth the upgrade just for that feature?
Interactive is offline  
post #3180 of 5864 Old 04-29-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,520
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22860 Post(s)
Liked: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Do you know if the speakers will be muted when Bluetooth audio is active?
I do not know; however, my guess would be no, just as is the case when using non-Bluetooth wireless headphones connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr-x2500h , calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 3500 , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , svs pb-1000 , tear ax3000 , testing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off