"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2493Likes

post #3751 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 729 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22400 Post(s)
Liked: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairman88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

What a great forum, lots of info to be found, however haven't found anything on this issue I'm having.

When using the Receiver watching regular TV - Sound and Volume is great. When watching a Blu-Ray or DVD sound and volume is great.

When using the smart TV Apps, the volume is lower, I have to turn it up quite a bit and when I do, the sound quality isn't there, it sounds muted or muffled. I am using the following apps on the TV - Netflix, Spotify and Vudu.

Here's my setup :

Receiver - Denon : X1500

Speakers - Def Tech : Front - BP9040's Center - PC1000 Surround - SR9040's Height - A90's

TV - Samsung : UN50MU6300FXZA
The AVR can only play what it is receiving (ie. garbage in --> garbage out). You may want to consider using another source for those apps (eg. Blu Ray player or game box).

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and info.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that.
If raising the master volume for the "TV Audio" source didn't resolve the issue, then raising the SOURCE LEVEL setting won't either.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how to do that.
Pretty sure it's "Setup - Inputs - Source Level"

Vizio E-701i, Denon X4500H, Crown XLS-1502, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 II, Polk T15s, Klipsch RIC-65, Tivo Roamio OTA, LG BD570, Fire TV 1, Fire TV Stick 4K, XBox 360, Harmony Smart Control
post #3753 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AVR can only play what it is receiving (ie. garbage in --> garbage out). You may want to consider using another source for those apps (eg. Blu Ray player or game box).
Ah ha, I see.

I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player, will have to see what apps are available on it.

The wife is going to love this one... having to use a 3rd device to watch Netflix... lol

Receiver : Denon X1500
Front : Def Tech BP9040's
Cntr : Def Tech PC1000
Surrnd : Def Tech SR9040's
Height : Def Tech A90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Ah ha, I see.

I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player, will have to see what apps are available on it.

The wife is going to love this one... having to use a 3rd device to watch Netflix... lol
Also, I may have left out some important info.

I only noticed the difference in the sound over the past couple of months.

Last year, using the Spotify App, the sound was great and very loud.

I don't know what changed.

One other thing - I'm currently connected to everything via HDMI. Would going Optical make any difference ?

post #3755 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah ha, I see.

Have you run Audyssey per the Audyssey FAQ? ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
post #3756 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
Pretty sure it's "Setup - Inputs - Source Level"
This may be a silly question, but...

Do I need to have the "source" in use when changing the source level?

post #3757 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 367
oops sorry forgot about no price discussion thing my bad

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
post #3758 of 4956 Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
This may be a silly question, but...

Do I need to have the "source" in use when changing the source level?
jairman, you just have to be on the source itself as if you need this for the exact input your trying to raise .
so let's say your tv /cable sounds too low then while watching a tv show go into settings menu and source and raise to your liking ,i believe you need to do this to any input and each source is seperate which means raising one dosen't affect the rest

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
post #3759 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Anyone who may have used an HDMI audio extractor, could you provide some input?

1. Will this change the audio setting of Zone 1 in Denon 3500h? The reason I am asking is that the extracted audio will be two channel analog out. Will that force Zone 1 audio setting on the AVR (x3500h) to be 2 Chanel audio as well?

2. If I place the HDMI audio extractor on zone 2, would I be able to extract two channel analog audio without changing the zone 1 audio setting in the AVR? Zone two audio amplifier will be used for 7.2 configuration. Since I am not planning to have zone 2 TV, I am hoping that it will allow me to control this volume using Denon remote. True?

Any other idea to drive a separate amplifier for another area from 3500h without using zone 2 output?

Thanks

What exactly is the use case you want this for? Do you want the audio as analog, digital, stereo, multi-channel, to headphone transmitters, etc?

(Also, do not buy the one you linked. See reasons below)

The typical use of an audio extractor is to "tap" the HDMI path for the audio portion to do one of

(1) feed analog stereo out to headphones or headphones transmitter if the receiver does not offer another way of doing this
(2) To feed the audio as a digital/analog signal to active speakers or another integrated amp to provide the same sound as what is going through the original HDMI.

As such, if the audio extractor is correctly designed the original source and sink have no idea of the "tap" in the path. To be able to do this completely transparently, you need an audio extractor that can pass through the full [email protected] hz formats, have at least 18GB bandwidth and should be speaking the same HDMI 2.x and HDCP 2.x versions as the receiver/tv. They also pass through the EDID from the TV back to receiver and allow ARC so that the HDMI path is truly transparent as far as receiver and TV are concerned.

Monoprice (amongst others) sell such units around the $40-$50 price range. Look up the reviews to make sure they don't have any quirks that may not work for your use case.

Typically these provide a stereo analog and a TOSLINK optical jacks for audio out. They can take multiple channel sound in the original path and send it out as multi-channel PCM SPDIF. But because of the limitations of the latter, it can only do up to 5.1. There are other units which also provide a second HDMI extraction but downgraded to 1.4 (1080p and 5.1 audio max) if you want both audio and video. The latter does not affect/downgrade the original path allowing content with DRM to be played through the original path.

What you want to do with that audio is entirely up to you. The receiver and TV have no awareness of this extractor and behave as if it did not exist which means no control whatsoever from the receiver or the TV on the extracted audio - no volume control, etc. So, to answer your specific question, a correctly chosen audio extractor will not affect anything in the receiver or the TV or the original viewing and has nothing to do with any zones.

You can also attach it to Zone 2 HDMI (you should avoid attaching them to the second monitor HDMI for various reasons). But this can affect the Zone 1 viewing as has been discussed earlier if using the same source for both. If using a different source for Zone 2 then you don't really need the audio extractor. So, attaching the extractor to Zone 2 really does not buy you anything.
post #3760 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimus View Post
What exactly is the use case you want this for? Do you want the audio as analog, digital, stereo, multi-channel, to headphone transmitters, etc?

(Also, do not buy the one you linked. See reasons below)

The typical use of an audio extractor is to "tap" the HDMI path for the audio portion to do one of

(1) feed analog stereo out to headphones or headphones transmitter if the receiver does not offer another way of doing this
(2) To feed the audio as a digital/analog signal to active speakers or another integrated amp to provide the same sound as what is going through the original HDMI.

As such, if the audio extractor is correctly designed the original source and sink have no idea of the "tap" in the path. To be able to do this completely transparently, you need an audio extractor that can pass through the full [email protected] hz formats, have at least 18GB bandwidth and should be speaking the same HDMI 2.x and HDCP 2.x versions as the receiver/tv. They also pass through the EDID from the TV back to receiver and allow ARC so that the HDMI path is truly transparent as far as receiver and TV are concerned.

Monoprice (amongst others) sell such units around the $40-$50 price range. Look up the reviews to make sure they don't have any quirks that may not work for your use case.

Typically these provide a stereo analog and a TOSLINK optical jacks for audio out. They can take multiple channel sound in the original path and send it out as multi-channel PCM SPDIF. But because of the limitations of the latter, it can only do up to 5.1. There are other units which also provide a second HDMI extraction but downgraded to 1.4 (1080p and 5.1 audio max) if you want both audio and video. The latter does not affect/downgrade the original path allowing content with DRM to be played through the original path.

What you want to do with that audio is entirely up to you. The receiver and TV have no awareness of this extractor and behave as if it did not exist which means no control whatsoever from the receiver or the TV on the extracted audio - no volume control, etc. So, to answer your specific question, a correctly chosen audio extractor will not affect anything in the receiver or the TV or the original viewing and has nothing to do with any zones.

You can also attach it to Zone 2 HDMI (you should avoid attaching them to the second monitor HDMI for various reasons). But this can affect the Zone 1 viewing as has been discussed earlier if using the same source for both. If using a different source for Zone 2 then you don't really need the audio extractor. So, attaching the extractor to Zone 2 really does not buy you anything.
Thank you so much. Here is my use case.

I want to have ability to use 7.2 audio for zone1. But still need a way to get stereo audio signal (full strength) for times when I want to drive another amp or to feed my wireless headphones.

I was wondering if a suitable audio extractor on zone 1 HDMI output will do that. Or is there another preferred way?

I have a new x3500 AVR that I have not set up yet. I want to get all components before setting it up.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 06-11-2019 at 05:19 AM.
post #3761 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Anyone who may have used an HDMI audio extractor, could you provide some input?

1. Will this change the audio setting of Zone 1 in Denon 3500h? The reason I am asking is that the extracted audio will be two channel analog out. Will that force Zone 1 audio setting on the AVR (x3500h) to be 2 Chanel audio as well?

2. If I place the HDMI audio extractor on zone 2, would I be able to extract two channel analog audio without changing the zone 1 audio setting in the AVR? Zone two audio amplifier will be used for 7.2 configuration. Since I am not planning to have zone 2 TV, I am hoping that it will allow me to control this volume using Denon remote. True?

Any other idea to drive a separate amplifier for another area from 3500h without using zone 2 output?

Thanks
1. Depends on the audio extractor. If it's able to pass the HDMI audio+video signal untouched via the HDMI output while simultaneously passing audio via the other outputs, then no, there shouldn't be any impact to the multi channel audio going to Zone 1 and especially not as it would be going to a multi channel AVR for your 7.2 configuration. Note however, the Zone 2 AVR would control the volume not the Zone 1 AVR.

2. If you mean the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, then no change to Zone 1 as noted above.

Quote:
Thank you so much. Here is my use case.

I want to have ability to use 7.2 audio for zone1. But still need a way to get stereo audio signal (full strength) for times when I want to drive another amp or to feed my wireless headphones.

I was wondering if a suitable audio extractor on zone 1 HDMI output will do that. Or is there another preferred way?

I have a new x3500 AVR that I have not set up yet. I want to get all components before setting it up.
1. In order for audio to pass to the Monitor 1 output, the <HDMI Audio Out> setting would have to be "TV" which would then disable audio going to the Zone 1 surround speakers.
2. The preferred way is to find an audio extractor that will suit your use case as noted in item 1 in the above post which would be connected between the source and the Zone 1 AVR.
post #3762 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Hello new X4500H owner here!
Pretty much set up here and it’s an impressive receiver.

Couple of questions with volume control.
I don’t hear any audio until I hit about 35 and then I’m around normal in the 50s?
When I crank it up where it gets way to much I’m around 75-80 which is probably way to much for my space! I’d I’d be around 65-70 for movie watching. Anyway to scale it down to 0 so when I hit 25-50 I’m at normal to loud audio if anyone gets what I’m saying?
Also can I shut off the volume control on my tv screen and just limit it to the receivers display so I can adjust volume while watching content?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #3763 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. Depends on the audio extractor. If it's able to pass the HDMI audio+video signal untouched via the HDMI output while simultaneously passing audio via the other outputs, then no, there shouldn't be any impact to the multi channel audio going to Zone 1 and especially not as it would be going to a multi channel AVR for your 7.2 configuration. Note however, the Zone 2 AVR would control the volume not the Zone 1 AVR.

2. If you mean the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, then no change to Zone 1 as noted above.

1. In order for audio to pass to the Monitor 1 output, the <HDMI Audio Out> setting would have to be "TV" which would then disable audio going to the Zone 1 surround speakers.

2. The preferred way is to find an audio extractor that will suit your use case as noted in item 1 in the above post which would be connected between the source and the Zone 1 AVR.
Ok. Looks like when I am using 7.2 audio in AVR, audio is not being passed to the HDMI out that is connected to the TV. So TV will not have any sound when 7.2 audio is running from AVR.

Is that correct?
post #3764 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. Looks like when I am using 7.2 audio in AVR, audio is not being passed to the HDMI out that is connected to the TV. So TV will not have any sound when 7.2 audio is running from AVR.

Is that correct?
Correct. The setting is either "TV" or "AVR".
post #3765 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Hello new X4500H owner here!
Pretty much set up here and it’s an impressive receiver.

Couple of questions with volume control.
I don’t hear any audio until I hit about 35 and then I’m around normal in the 50s?
When I crank it up where it gets way to much I’m around 75-80 which is probably way to much for my space! I’d I’d be around 65-70 for movie watching. Anyway to scale it down to 0 so when I hit 25-50 I’m at normal to loud audio if anyone gets what I’m saying?
Also can I shut off the volume control on my tv screen and just limit it to the receivers display so I can adjust volume while watching content?
Denon AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that 50-70 is average with audible volume starting no earlier than around 40 or so. As long as you don't go over 80, there should be no power issue.

If you enable Audyssey Dynamic Volume, the desired volume level will likely drop about 15-20, although you're also attenuating loud booms/bangs in the process which is generally only desired at night when others are sleeping.

Refer to p. 202 Owner's manual - ON SCREEN DISPLAY - OFF
post #3766 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
. Anyway to scale it down to 0 so when I hit 25-50 I’m at normal to loud audio if anyone gets what I’m saying?
Not really.

Note that you can set the volume reading according to two scales (manual page 185). Maybe adjusting the source level would help do what you want? Page 209 Or Reference Level Offset (page 187)

Vizio E-701i, Denon X4500H, Crown XLS-1502, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 II, Polk T15s, Klipsch RIC-65, Tivo Roamio OTA, LG BD570, Fire TV 1, Fire TV Stick 4K, XBox 360, Harmony Smart Control
post #3767 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Ok thanks! And I found the onscreen volume in the manual!

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #3768 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct. The setting is either "TV" or "AVR".
Thank you. Here is another approach. Let me know if this will work.

I connect back surround back speaker out to back surround Speakers but also connect the surround back preouts to an external amplifiers and wireless headphones. Are you with me so far?

When needing to use the external amplifiers or wireless headphones, assign the surround back outputs to zone 2, reduce zone 1 volume down and use zone 2 volume to adjust volume to external amplifiers and the wireless headphones.

I don't know if it is easy to reassign surround back to zone 2 on a fly.
post #3769 of 4956 Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you. Here is another approach. Let me know if this will work.

I connect back surround back speaker out to back surround Speakers but also connect the surround back preouts to an external amplifiers and wireless headphones. Are you with me so far?

When needing to use the external amplifiers or wireless headphones, assign the surround back outputs to zone 2, reduce zone 1 volume down and use zone 2 volume to adjust volume to external amplifiers and the wireless headphones.

I don't know if it is easy to reassign surround back to zone 2 on a fly.
Yes, that would work if you use ALL ZONE STEREO when passing audio to Zone 2.
post #3770 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Hi everyone. I'm having an "input" issue with my AVR-X4300H. While running blu-ray UHD4K with Atmos, I am no longer getting an input that is "Atmos". In fact it's not DTX-X either on those. It's only showing a 5.1 input, then it is upscaled to 5.1.2. I recognize this is not a huge Atmos Set up but the AVR did show "Atmos" on the input signal before - or DTSX - but it stopped doing it and I can't figure it out.

Some details -
Blu-Ray Panny as noted in sig line.
AVR-Input set up and Amp Assign - 7.1 & Zone 2. Speakers are set up in system as follows

R/L Front
Center
Rear Surrounds
Sub
R/L Front Height

It's worth noting that within the Blu-Ray:
Audio selected as Atmos and noted as Atmos (or DTS-X on non Atmos Blu-Rays) - which is showing as the feed when I do the pop-up on the screen to check.

AVR is not feeding height channels at all - just the others. I use the lower left Green Key on the remote to toggle through options on the screen while a disk is running - no option - just dolby surround selection options, all channel stereo, etc.

I really can't figure it out. And i have no idea what I could have done that has changed it because I don't believe i fiddled with it.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Mike.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #3771 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiflyfisher View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having an "input" issue with my AVR-X4300H. While running blu-ray UHD4K with Atmos, I am no longer getting an input that is "Atmos". In fact it's not DTX-X either on those. It's only showing a 5.1 input, then it is upscaled to 5.1.2. I recognize this is not a huge Atmos Set up but the AVR did show "Atmos" on the input signal before - or DTSX - but it stopped doing it and I can't figure it out.

Some details -
Blu-Ray Panny as noted in sig line.
AVR-Input set up and Amp Assign - 7.1 & Zone 2. Speakers are set up in system as follows

R/L Front
Center
Rear Surrounds
Sub
R/L Front Height

It's worth noting that within the Blu-Ray:
Audio selected as Atmos and noted as Atmos (or DTS-X on non Atmos Blu-Rays) - which is showing as the feed when I do the pop-up on the screen to check.

AVR is not feeding height channels at all - just the others. I use the lower left Green Key on the remote to toggle through options on the screen while a disk is running - no option - just dolby surround selection options, all channel stereo, etc.

I really can't figure it out. And i have no idea what I could have done that has changed it because I don't believe i fiddled with it.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Mike.
Would love to help you out, but oops wrong thread. Post this on the 2016 Denon S/X series thread because the AVR-X4300H is a 2016 model.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #3772 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm having an "input" issue with my AVR-X4300H.
Oops!
Your model is not a 2018 model, but a 2016 one!

Quote:
AVR-Input set up and Amp Assign - 7.1 & Zone 2.
The Amp assign may be the culprit here, you must select a layout for Atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, not 7.1 + Zone 2.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #3773 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Oops!
Your model is not a 2018 model, but a 2016 one!

The Amp assign may be the culprit here, you must select a layout for Atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, not 7.1 + Zone 2.
Thank you. It doesn’t have that option. When I do Amp Assign and that speaker configuration it does say format supported os Atmos and DTS though.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #3774 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you. It doesn’t have that option. When I do Amp Assign and that speaker configuration it does say format supported os Atmos and DTS though.
As previously suggested, please repost in the correct thread for your model ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-faq.html
post #3775 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that would work if you use ALL ZONE STEREO when passing audio to Zone 2.
Thanks.

If I had assigned all outputs to HT use, and then select ALL ZONE STEREO, will I still have volume control for zone 2? Remember I had earlier assigned zone 2 speaker output to rear surround but had connected preout to external amplifiers.

I am really slow here. Probably the age is catching up with me. Hence so many questions.
post #3776 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks.

If I had assigned all outputs to HT use, and then select ALL ZONE STEREO, will I still have volume control for zone 2? Remember I had earlier assigned zone 2 speaker output to rear surround but had connected preout to external amplifiers.

I am really slow here. Probably the age is catching up with me. Hence so many questions.
Yes.
post #3777 of 4956 Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
When using the Receiver watching regular TV - Sound and Volume is great. When watching a Blu-Ray or DVD sound and volume is great.

When using the smart TV Apps, the volume is lower, I have to turn it up quite a bit and when I do, the sound quality isn't there, it sounds muted or muffled. I am using the following apps on the TV - Netflix, Spotify and Vudu.

Here's my setup :

Receiver - Denon : X1500

TV - Samsung : UN50MU6300FXZA
Hi Jairman88, could be the TV causing the low volume. If you haven't, unplug power cord to TV and waited for approximately 30 minutes (or could try 15 minutes).
post #3778 of 4956 Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up both an AVRS940H for upstairs and a Sony STR-DN1080 for the downstairs. I had an older S920W and the whole plan was to only upgrade the upstairs but I honestly can't seem to figure why the STR-DN1080 seems to have so much better sound than my older S920 as well as the 940H I just picked up. I certainly see a lot of posts about cranking up the volume to over 50 but I honestly haven't gotten above 25 on the Sony. Is it just the way the Denon seems to be made or is it possible I've done something wrong?
post #3779 of 4956 Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
Just picked up both an AVRS940H for upstairs and a Sony STR-DN1080 for the downstairs. I had an older S920W and the whole plan was to only upgrade the upstairs but I honestly can't seem to figure why the STR-DN1080 seems to have so much better sound than my older S920 as well as the 940H I just picked up. I certainly see a lot of posts about cranking up the volume to over 50 but I honestly haven't gotten above 25 on the Sony. Is it just the way the Denon seems to be made or is it possible I've done something wrong?
Comparing different manufacturers pots gain structure is a wasted comparison. Use an SPL meter to verify both makes are achieving the same levels at the MLP and turn off any compressors or dynamic EQ and just compare room correction suites. You may just prefer what DCAC does in your space over what Audyssey does. It happens.
jpuck and dfa973 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3780 of 4956 Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
Correct. Denon uses a logarithmic volume scale such that 50-70 is average volume on most setups after running Audyssey.
jpuck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page