"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2658Likes

post #3811 of 5372 Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtad View Post
I had to order a warranty replacement Audyssey microphone from Denon to replace the original included with my AVR-X3500H. The original model number was ACM1HB. When I tried to give the CSR the original microphone number he stated he did not need it as all the microphones now were basically generic. I just received the replacement which is a DM-S305 Puck Style Omnidirectional microphone originally for an AVR3805 from about 2004. It seems to have a higher build quality then the original, but does it meet the specs required for the Audyssey setup. I originally used a DM-A409 microphone from my older receiver while I was waiting for the replacement, and it seemed to work without any issues. Anyone else had experience using the older puck style microphone with Audyssey? Will this compromise the setup in any way?
Absolutely not. Those flat hockey style type mic's did almost nothing for bass correction. Make them send you the correctly model numbered mic. I had a 2805 with that heavier flat mic.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 5372 Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I’ve been looking for answers from everywhere for this issue but I keep hitting dead ends. I have multiple devices connected to my s940h receiver and both hdmi video and audio are outputted to my Sony tv and I play the sound through the TV speakers. However, I’m only getting PCM audio on my tv speakers from my hdmi sources unless I turn off the receiver and it’s passing through a single source to my tv. Is this receiver not capable of outputting Dolby audio to my tv speakers from my hdmi sources?

Most likely because of an EDID handshake and normal.

When the AVR is switched off, it is just passing through whatever comes in with no processing or handshake so whatever is sent from the source is just passed through, regardless of whether the TV can handle it or not.

When the AVR is on, the AVR and TV do a handshake to figure out what format to send the sound in. Most TVs may report PCM stereo even when they are capable of decoding (but not playing in anything other than stereo) other codecs and formats.

Newer TVs have a setting where you can control this with a TV setting. With newer Samsungs for example, you can select between PCM and Bitstream for HDMI input. The latter settings sends all possible formats it can handle in its EDID but the latter may just include PCM 2.0 in the EDID it sends. See if your TV has a similar setting.
post #3813 of 5372 Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
I’ve been looking for answers from everywhere for this issue but I keep hitting dead ends. I have multiple devices connected to my s940h receiver and both hdmi video and audio are outputted to my Sony tv and I play the sound through the TV speakers. However, I’m only getting PCM audio on my tv speakers from my hdmi sources unless I turn off the receiver and it’s passing through a single source to my tv. Is this receiver not capable of outputting Dolby audio to my tv speakers from my hdmi sources?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The AVR will likely only pass PCM if it believes that is all the TV can accept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 5372 Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtad View Post
I had to order a warranty replacement Audyssey microphone from Denon to replace the original included with my AVR-X3500H. The original model number was ACM1HB. When I tried to give the CSR the original microphone number he stated he did not need it as all the microphones now were basically generic. I just received the replacement which is a DM-S305 Puck Style Omnidirectional microphone originally for an AVR3805 from about 2004. It seems to have a higher build quality then the original, but does it meet the specs required for the Audyssey setup. I originally used a DM-A409 microphone from my older receiver while I was waiting for the replacement, and it seemed to work without any issues. Anyone else had experience using the older puck style microphone with Audyssey? Will this compromise the setup in any way?
AFAIK, Audyssey indicates the puck style will NOT work, rather only the tower mics released since 2009 to include the DM-A409.
post #3815 of 5372 Old 06-17-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
I tried 5 (6?) in a row...and nothing changed. Bummer - now I get to spend some quality time on the phone with customer support.

Seems very odd. Did you try the excellent suggestion earlier of taking the amp out of the path? Denon customer support might insist on doing that anyway. Sometimes, it may just be a bad (or going bad) cable that can cause gremlin-like problems. Try switching cables around between channels and speakers as well. More of these you have tried, more productive the session with Support likely.

Also check what the status display says on screen or in the app as to the codec/format and speaker configuration for input and output when you play something that is playing with a channel missing.
post #3816 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
This is not an exact science.
If there was only some way to actually measure the responses of mismatched subwoofers to put this statement to the test... Wait a minute!

Spoiler!
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3817 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AVR will likely only pass PCM if it believes that is all the TV can accept.

I plugged in my pioneer receiver and I’m getting full Dolby digital on the tv. So the issue lies on the receivers end not the tv. My pioneer is a lower end model as well. So the denon not being able to output Dolby digital audio to the TV speakers is a real problem. Denon customer service is refusing to acknowledge that it’s an issue with my receiver, not my TV.
post #3818 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have ordered a Teufel Ultima 5.1 set with 2 Atmos upward front speakers.
This 2 floor speakers can connect with Bi-amp.
Now my question,

I think about buying a Denon Avr-x4500h
Is it possible to have this all connect with Bi-amp the front speakers?
In the manual i only read a 7.1 setup with Bi-amp, but is it possible that i remove the surround left en right, so it is a 5.1.2 setup with Bi-amp?
post #3819 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimus View Post
What does the AVR status display OSD or with the app tell you about the input and output formats and configurations between the two cases? The answer to your problem might be different on whether the two status displays (for the same content being played) look different or the same.

Also try switching the AVR to multi-channel stereo (for diagnostics) with the Apple TV and see if it makes a difference.

Not a diagnosis but what you are hearing seems like in one you are getting just the left and right channels in a 5.1 format bit stream and the other a full 5.1 (or a stereo upmixed to 5.1 either at source or in the AVR or a 2 channel stereo that the AVR sends to 2.1). The status display will give you useful information for diagnosis.
Thanks. There was indeed a (big) difference, being Direct versus Stereo with Audyssey settings.

Now, as @jdsmoothie mentioned, I tried to use QuickSelect to "store" two different settings, Apple TV movie and Apple TV music, but apparently you can only store one "sound" configuration per input.

So I will need to find one that suits both movie and music, or use two Apple TV's ;-).
post #3820 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDarthVader View Post
I have ordered a Teufel Ultima 5.1 set with 2 Atmos upward front speakers.
This 2 floor speakers can connect with Bi-amp.
Now my question,

I think about buying a Denon Avr-x4500h
Is it possible to have this all connect with Bi-amp the front speakers?
In the manual i only read a 7.1 setup with Bi-amp, but is it possible that i remove the surround left en right, so it is a 5.1.2 setup with Bi-amp?
Yes, as noted on p. 65 of the Owner's manual; however, note the "bi-amp" feature on an AVR will not provide any benefit, either in additional power or better audio quality.
Madmax67 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #3821 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selsrog View Post
Thanks. There was indeed a (big) difference, being Direct versus Stereo with Audyssey settings.

Now, as @jdsmoothie mentioned, I tried to use QuickSelect to "store" two different settings, Apple TV movie and Apple TV music, but apparently you can only store one "sound" configuration per input.

So I will need to find one that suits both movie and music, or use two Apple TV's ;-).
What are the two sound configurations you are attempting to use? No reason you can't select a different mode for the same source if stored under a separate Quick Select.
post #3822 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Does anyone here own an AC Infinity fan they set on top of the denon? I just bought one. Right now it is set to AUTO so it turns on when the AVR hits 90 degrees. Works great but I am trying to figure out how to change the fan to “2” instead of “4” speed so its not so loud while keeping it on auto. Anyone?

I couldnt find a thread on AC Infinity fans. Thanks for the help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3823 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I plugged in my s940h to multiple tvs and I am getting no Dolby Digital sound output to any of my TVs. Is this just something this receiver not capable of?
post #3824 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
Does anyone here own an AC Infinity fan they set on top of the denon? I just bought one. Right now it is set to AUTO so it turns on when the AVR hits 90 degrees. Works great but I am trying to figure out how to change the fan to “2” instead of “4” speed so its not so loud while keeping it on auto. Anyone?

I couldnt find a thread on AC Infinity fans. Thanks for the help...

I assume that you have one of the "T" models (T8, T9, or T10). If you have an "S" model, pressing the UP or DOWN button while in AUTO mode will set what speed the fans will run at when they are triggered on.

On the "T" models, you must first change to the ON mode in order to access the speed setting. Whichever speed is designated in this mode (again using the Up or DOWN button) will also be the speed used in AUTO Mode and the max speed of the fans in SMART Mode.

AC Infinity AIRCOM User Manual
sloanthebone and Madmax67 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #3825 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I assume that you have one of the "T" models (T8, T9, or T10). If you have an "S" model, pressing the UP or DOWN button while in AUTO mode will set what speed the fans will run at when they are triggered on.

On the "T" models, you must first change to the ON mode in order to access the speed setting. Whichever speed is designated in this mode (again using the Up or DOWN button) will also be the speed used in AUTO Mode and the max speed of the fans in SMART Mode.

AC Infinity AIRCOM User Manual

Got it!! Easy enough. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3826 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most likely because of an EDID handshake and normal.

When the AVR is switched off, it is just passing through whatever comes in with no processing or handshake so whatever is sent from the source is just passed through, regardless of whether the TV can handle it or not.

When the AVR is on, the AVR and TV do a handshake to figure out what format to send the sound in. Most TVs may report PCM stereo even when they are capable of decoding (but not playing in anything other than stereo) other codecs and formats.

Newer TVs have a setting where you can control this with a TV setting. With newer Samsungs for example, you can select between PCM and Bitstream for HDMI input. The latter settings sends all possible formats it can handle in its EDID but the latter may just include PCM 2.0 in the EDID it sends. See if your TV has a similar setting.

I plugged it into my Samsung q90r and it shows pcm as well. The Dolby digital is grayed out in the sound settings of the tv. I’m not sure if this is a defect or if it is just not capable of outputting 5.1 sound through the tv speakers. I had no trouble outputting 5.1 sound to any of my tv speakers or through the TVs optical output to a Sonos and Bose soundbar with my pioneer receiver.
post #3827 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got around to picking up a Samsung Q80R and a Panasonic UB820 to pair with my X4500H (all via Monoprice certified high speed cables). And I'm finding that the Denon doesn't seem to want to pass through HDR10+, just HDR. I do have the 4K option set to enhanced on the Denon. If I hook the 820 up directly to the Q80R, both indicate HDR10+ mode.

In my limited searches (ie. the last 5 minutes or so), Denon only seems to mention that they support HDR10, with no sign of the plus. Is it confirmed that Denon does not support HDR10+? They support DolbyVision, so it seems odd they wouldn't support 10+. And I could use the audio out on the 820 to feed the Denon and put the video directly to the Q80R (or even use ARC). But ideally I would like to switch everything through the Denon to avoid having to switch both the TV and Denon when movie watching.

Thanks!
post #3828 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3833 Post(s)
Liked: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick3092 View Post
So I finally got around to picking up a Samsung Q80R and a Panasonic UB820 to pair with my X4500H (all via Monoprice certified high speed cables). And I'm finding that the Denon doesn't seem to want to pass through HDR10+, just HDR. I do have the 4K option set to enhanced on the Denon. If I hook the 820 up directly to the Q80R, both indicate HDR10+ mode.

In my limited searches (ie. the last 5 minutes or so), Denon only seems to mention that they support HDR10, with no sign of the plus. Is it confirmed that Denon does not support HDR10+? They support DolbyVision, so it seems odd they wouldn't support 10+. And I could use the audio out on the 820 to feed the Denon and put the video directly to the Q80R (or even use ARC). But ideally I would like to switch everything through the Denon to avoid having to switch both the TV and Denon when movie watching.

Thanks!
As far I can tell, there is not a single receiver or processor currently on the market that can pass HDR10+ yet.
dfa973 and Zoland2020 like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #3829 of 5372 Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!
Correct. Nothing mentioned to date that it is possible.
post #3830 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I plugged it into my Samsung q90r and it shows pcm as well. The Dolby digital is grayed out in the sound settings of the tv. I’m not sure if this is a defect or if it is just not capable of outputting 5.1 sound through the tv speakers. I had no trouble outputting 5.1 sound to any of my tv speakers or through the TVs optical output to a Sonos and Bose soundbar with my pioneer receiver.
First, if you see a menu on the Samsung TV that has Dolby listed/greyed out, that is the menu for audio pass-through going OUT FROM the TV via ARC or Optical.

There are two audio settings in recent Samsungs. One is usually called HDMI Audio Setting and the other just Audio Setting (or something equivalent). The former setting for a HDMI input source is the one that tells the upstream what it can send. Typically, the only choices for this setting will be PCM or Bitstream, neither of which will ever be greyed out.

When set to PCM, it asks upstream source in the handshake to decode all codecs and send only PCM and notes it has only two speakers. So an upstream source which honors this handshake (like a recent generation Denon and unlike older receivers that don't really care) will send PCM stereo. When set to Bitstream, the TV says in the handshake that it can take a number of formats undecoded and any number of channels (typically Dolby and DTS will be supported at the minimum but higher end TVs can have more internal decoders).

In this case, receivers like the Denon if working correctly will send undecoded Dolby or DTS multichannel or whatever the TV says it can support. The older receivers will continue to send whatever they were sending before.

The choices in the second setting (greyed out or not) are the formats the TV can send out/pass through via HDMI or Optical to a downstream audio processor. If it receives a Bitstream, it will enable the compatible formats it can pass through and pick the nearest automatically.

Your confusion is probably from the differences in how new receivers/TVs and old receivers/TVs participate in the handshake. The handshake prevents the TV from receiving formats it cannot decode and so just not output any audio. So, all recent receivers participate in the HDMI handshake. If you do find the Bitstream option and turn it on, you MAY need to power recycle the AVR to re-initiate a handshake.

Older receivers may just pass through everything or may have their own setting on what to pass through. The handshake removes the need for manual intervention once you have set up the flow in the pass through mode you would like which typically does not change unless there is equipment change.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by audimus; 06-19-2019 at 12:47 AM.
post #3831 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I'm finding that the Denon doesn't seem to want to pass through HDR10+, just HDR. I do have the 4K option set to enhanced on the Denon. If I hook the 820 up directly to the Q80R, both indicate HDR10+ mode.

In my limited searches (ie. the last 5 minutes or so), Denon only seems to mention that they support HDR10, with no sign of the plus. Is it confirmed that Denon does not support HDR10+? They support DolbyVision, so it seems odd they wouldn't support 10+.
Hopefully, the HDR+ vs Dolby Vision does not turn into a VHS vs Betamax reprise!

HDR+ is very new to have made its way into AVRs already. Dolby Vision has been around for longer. Technically, HDR+ is best implemented with HDMI 2.1, but like eARC, it can be accommodated over HDMI 2.0 using Info Frames. It just requires a firmware update to enable. But the details of this type of back-porting to HDMI 2.0 is still not completely accepted yet for it to be widely deployed in AVRs that are still in 2.0.

The penetration is more a political and alliance thing. HDR+ is a Samsung-led initiative that LG and Sony who support Dolby Vision have not implemented yet (not saying they won't). On the other hand, unlike Dolby Vision, HDR+ is virtually free for manufacturers to implement in their systems but they are more likely waiting for it to stabilize and/or see how the alliances/political battles shake out within the TV makers first. If and when they decide to support it, it will be included in a firmware update for current AVRs.

Assuming HDR+ becomes a widely accepted standard, the next generation of HDMI 2.1 enabled AVRs will most certainly support it out of the box.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by audimus; 06-19-2019 at 12:48 AM.
post #3832 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First, if you see a menu on the Samsung TV that has Dolby listed/greyed out, that is the menu for audio pass-through going OUT FROM the TV via ARC or Optical.

There are two audio settings in recent Samsungs. One is usually called HDMI Audio Setting and the other just Audio Setting (or something equivalent). The former setting for a HDMI input source is the one that tells the upstream what it can send. Typically, the only choices for this setting will be PCM or Bitstream, neither of which will ever be greyed out.

When set to PCM, it asks upstream source in the handshake to decode all codecs and send only PCM and notes it has only two speakers. So an upstream source which honors this handshake (like a recent generation Denon and unlike older receivers that don't really care) will send PCM stereo. When set to Bitstream, the TV says in the handshake that it can take a number of formats undecoded and any number of channels (typically Dolby and DTS will be supported at the minimum but higher end TVs can have more internal decoders).

In this case, receivers like the Denon if working correctly will send undecoded Dolby or DTS multichannel or whatever the TV says it can support. The older receivers will continue to send whatever they were sending before.

The choices in the second setting (greyed out or not) are the formats the TV can send out/pass through via HDMI or Optical to a downstream audio processor. If it receives a Bitstream, it will enable the compatible formats it can pass through and pick the nearest automatically.

Your confusion is probably from the differences in how new receivers/TVs and old receivers/TVs participate in the handshake. The handshake prevents the TV from receiving formats it cannot decode and so just not output any audio. So, all recent receivers participate in the HDMI handshake. If you do find the Bitstream option and turn it on, you MAY need to power recycle the AVR to re-initiate a handshake.

Older receivers may just pass through everything or may have their own setting on what to pass through. The handshake removes the need for manual intervention once you have set up the flow in the pass through mode you would like which typically does not change unless there is equipment change.

Then how come when I directly connect the device to the tv hdmi ports l, it’s not grayed our? Also, how come when I use my other pioneer receiver it’s not grayed our? Also on Sony I get the little “Dolby digital” icon when I hit the display button, but not when I’m watching from a source connected to the denon?
post #3833 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Then how come when I directly connect the device to the tv hdmi ports l, it’s not grayed our? Also, how come when I use my other pioneer receiver it’s not grayed our? Also on Sony I get the little “Dolby digital” icon when I hit the display button, but not when I’m watching from a source connected to the denon?
If you tried to understand conceptually what I wrote above, you will see the answers to your questions.

It is difficult to diagnose over the Internet but the most likely scenario is what I have described before:

The sources and the Pioneer you are connecting to are driven by their own settings and sending the undecoded audio content regardless of what the TV setting says it wants. So when the TV receives an undecoded format it is able to enable the ones it can pass through out of the TV and acknowledge the format it is getting. The Denon is honoring the PCM EDID from the TV because of the TV setting.

Why not check the TV settings to see if there is a HDMI audio mode setting that would specify PCM or Bitstream (typically only two choices)?

There are other possible reasons for your symptoms. For example, Denon for some reason is only receiving PCM from whatever is connected to it based on Denon's own settings. What does the status display say for both input and output (on-screen or via the app) for the Denon when you are using it and face this problem? Have you selected stereo mode on the Denon by any chance? Are you sending it through Zone 2 HDMI? These are all possible causes of what you are observing.

Further help would be likely/meaningful only if you carefully follow all the suggestions to look at possible settings that could cause this issue and try them out without jumping to conclusions.

Unless, you really have buyer's remorse on the Denon and would rather return it...
mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by audimus; 06-19-2019 at 01:30 AM.
post #3834 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The info screen on the denon is showing the correct Dolby digital format. So is the info menu on my 4k Blu rays player. It shows what is actually being outputted. Also, when the receiver is turned off and is passing through one particular hdmi source, I am seeing dolby digital on the TV. I would like to mention that I am hearing a huge difference in terms sound quality between Pass-Through or hdmi sources when I’m selecting them when the denon is turned in.
post #3835 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
AFAIK, Audyssey indicates the puck style will NOT work, rather only the tower mics released since 2009 to include the DM-A409.

Found this on Audyssey support forum which states you should only use the type of mic that came with the receiver and not use the puck style https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-puck-vs-tower

Called Denon back and they told me I should have been sent the ACM1HB that came with the receiver and the parts department must have made a mistake, so they have reordered the correct one. Hopefully second times the charm. At least I had my old DM-A409 to use while this is being worked out.
post #3836 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, I don't know at what temp they come on, but there are 2 internal cooling fans in the 4500. Same with the 6500.
Quote:
159f

jdsmoothie, I've been thinking about upgrading my X2400H to a X4400H or X4500H. I read a review somewhere where someone upgraded from a 4400 to a 4500 and they said it ran cooler. I see both units have 2 internal fans, and I assume they both only come on at the 159F temperature you mention. Any truth to this statement that the 4500 is a cooler running unit?
post #3837 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Liked: 16
Hey guys, can you just confirm that I can use pre-outs for all the 5.1 but use the Denon 4500 to just power the 4 height channels in a 5.1.4 config?

Last edited by Craig Woodhall; 06-19-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #3838 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
What are the two sound configurations you are attempting to use? No reason you can't select a different mode for the same source if stored under a separate Quick Select.
Well, I "thought" I was needing to different ones for music and movies. But as it turns out it just might work with one.

Now I must say that – as far as the configuration possibilities go – these are gigantic. I kinda loosing myself in them, finding it very difficult to find the one I most like...
Where are the days that balance, treble and bass where the only settings ;-).

Anyways, I figured out that the Quick Select functions do store different settings. But I'm still a bit lost here.
(I'm using the iOS app for the different configurations.)

In the iOS app you have sound setting under "OPTIONS" [1] (Channel Level Adjust and Tone), via the "sol key" [2] (left of "OPTIONS" for "Sound Mode") via "Audio" [3] (Subwoofer Level, Surround Parameter) under the "hamburger" menu where Audyssey [4] (a bunch of settings) is a part of.
I'm probably forgetting some...

I separate "Audyssey" from "Audio", as I think it supersedes some of the other settings.

Now how do these 4 inter-relate, and which does the Quick Select actually store when saved?
And which overlaps with the other, as it seems you have different places to – as an example – set the subwoofer volume...

Any clear method in using all these?
post #3839 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
jdsmoothie, I've been thinking about upgrading my X2400H to a X4400H or X4500H. I read a review somewhere where someone upgraded from a 4400 to a 4500 and they said it ran cooler. I see both units have 2 internal fans, and I assume they both only come on at the 159F temperature you mention. Any truth to this statement that the 4500 is a cooler running unit?
Can't imagine why it would be, but then, as long as sufficient ventilation is provided and/or you add an external fan, a moot point.
post #3840 of 5372 Old 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post
Hey guys, can you just confirm that I can use pre-outs for all the 5.1 but use the Denon 4500 to just power the 4 height channels in a 5.1.4 config?
Confirmed.

If you are externally powering at least the Front L/R speakers, it doesn't matter how many more you externally power … the AVR will power the remaining speakers not being externally powered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page