"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2644Likes

post #3871 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4857 Post(s)
Liked: 7147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain.
Agreed, many thanks @audimus ! Always happy to expand my knowledge. I don't know of any AVR currently on the market which acts in such a transparent manner though. Older models did have purely electrical pass-throughs, apparently.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22556 Post(s)
Liked: 12277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
So I set up my 5.2.4 system last night. Calibrated Denon, all went perfectly. All the speakers on point. The Audyssey speaker setup only recognizes 1 of the 2 subs, however, the 2nd sub works/sounds perfectly in conjunction with the rest of the speakers. Does Audyssey auto-calibrate the 2 subs together as 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
Here is a pic of the set up showing the 2nd sub greyed out after calibration. Again, the sub is working, for sure.

https://i.imgur.com/TZBVggp.jpg

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although Audyssey calibrates both subs together, they should each still be recognized individually by the AVR so there's an issue with your unit. Try doing a "soft reset" by simply powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes. If still no joy, refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset.
post #3873 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post
When measuring my dual subs during calibration instead of keeping it at the range of 75db at the sub I increase it to 83db due to something I read on these forums suggesting that would be better. When calibration is done my sub level in the avr is reading -12. At the beginning of this thread reads it should not be at that level if so re run. I then bumbed the level up to -7.5 at avr for both subs. Is this okay or should I re run audyssey xt32 and keep it at 75db. When this is done the.avr sub level reads -9.5 and they are basically dead seems like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
A reading of -12dB indicates your subs are set too loud. Do the latter setup and then simply increase the level from -9.5dB to about -4dB (or whatever you prefer) using the Subwoofer Level Adjust or Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quick question:

In 3500, if the input is through HDMI, would zone 2 pre amp analog output post get that signal?
post #3875 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quick question:

In 3500, if the input is through HDMI, would zone 2 pre amp analog output post get that signal?
Yes, if the source signal is PCM 2.0.
post #3876 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, if the source signal is PCM 2.0.
The signal will be either from firetv stick, blueray DVD, Chromecast, cable TV, or built-in Spotify. What will pass through to analog zone 2 output posts and what will not?

Thanks a lot.
post #3877 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The signal will be either from firetv stick, blueray DVD, Chromecast, cable TV, or built-in Spotify. What will pass through to analog zone 2 output posts and what will not?

Thanks a lot.
There is no "built-in" Spotify; however, only PCM 2.0, networking audio, or USB will pass through.
post #3878 of 5317 Old 06-21-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is no "built-in" Spotify; however, only PCM 2.0, networking audio, or USB will pass through.
Thanks. Just to clarify: Amazon Fire stick, Chromecast, BlyeRay DVD, and Cable box (all connected through HDMI) will all be available on the zone 2 analog pre amp output.
post #3879 of 5317 Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Just to clarify: Amazon Fire stick, Chromecast, BlyeRay DVD, and Cable box (all connected through HDMI) will all be available on the zone 2 analog pre amp output.
I'm going to say this one more time for you …. on the X3500H (and higher models), as long as the Zone 2 source audio is PCM 2.0 (HDMI, digital, analog), it will pass to the Zone 2 speaker posts and pre-outs.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #3880 of 5317 Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to say this one more time for you …. on the X3500H (and higher models), as long as the Zone 2 source audio is PCM 2.0 (HDMI, digital, analog), it will pass to the Zone 2 speaker posts and pre-outs.
Got it.
post #3881 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have a new-to-me 6500 hooked into 7.2.4 configuration. The Movie mode selections in the ops manual, the on-screen display and the front display all differ from each other. My question:

The third on-screen selection says "Dolby Atmos + Dsur". However, if selected, the front panel shows "Dolby Atmos + DSur + Neural:X". But on-screen, Neural:X is the FOURTH selection. I suppose this is a result of an incomplete or erroneous update.

Will the third on-screen selection feed audio to my height speakers properly for both Atmos and Neural:X, which seems to be what the front display says, or do I need to select the fourth option for disks with Neural:X? Haven't had much luck communicating with Denon. Thanks.

Last edited by uhdnut; 06-23-2019 at 03:45 AM.
post #3882 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to use the AVR-X1500H reciver whit computer just for sound ?? becouse i got 5 speakers + sub and want to combinate it whit the reciver so i can listen music from it,,, etc.
post #3883 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Pienčák View Post
Is it possible to use the AVR-X1500H reciver whit computer just for sound ?? becouse i got 5 speakers + sub and want to combinate it whit the reciver so i can listen music from it,,, etc.
Yes, you can send audio to AVR through HDMI, WiFi/Ethernet (via DLNA or HEOS app) or Bluetooth.
post #3884 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
but will it be only stereo or will i be able to use 5.1 sound ?? becouse i got a audio card and i have a optical audio cable but i cant configure it to get just the sound
post #3885 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Pienčák View Post
but will it be only stereo or will i be able to use 5.1 sound ?? becouse i got a audio card and i have a optical audio cable but i cant configure it to get just the sound
You can use either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X to simulate 2.0 stereo audio to all of the 5.1 speakers.
post #3886 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4857 Post(s)
Liked: 7147
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhdnut View Post
I have a new-to-me 6500 hooked into 7.2.4 configuration. The Movie mode selections in the ops manual, the on-screen display and the front display all differ from each other. My question:

The third on-screen selection says "Dolby Atmos + Dsur". However, if selected, the front panel shows "Dolby Atmos + DSur + Neural:X". But on-screen, Neural:X is the FOURTH selection. I suppose this is a result of an incomplete or erroneous update.
I'd love to see a photo of that front panel! It should be impossible to have the DSU upmixer and the Neural:X mixer both selected at the same time!
dfa973 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #3887 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
reposting: denon 950 question

@CurryStorm
reposting this from speakers if anyone has an ide that hasnt been discussed already

Polk Speakers/Denon Receiver Help
Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
post #3888 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
@CurryStorm

reposting this from speakers if anyone has an ide that hasnt been discussed already

Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Check the receivers input assign setting for the streamers input and verify it's set to the correct HDMI input. If you are checking the test tones manually then verify that you have the receiver levels set to 80 on the Absolute scale. The optical cable to the TV will only be for audio coming from the TV unless you again check and select that digital input for the PS4 in setup->audio->input assign and are able to connect a digital optical cable from the PS4 to the receiver. If no joy then I would do a full microprocessor reset which I believe you can now do under general settings. Not getting any test tone sounds using the receiver's automatic setup process would be concerning.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 06-23-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #3889 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'd love to see a photo of that front panel! It should be impossible to have the DSU upmixer and the Neural:X mixer both selected at the same time!
When I have selected the third on-screen choice as shown, and while an Atmos disk is playing, I get the display1. If I press the "Movies" button, it changes to display2 for about two seconds. So if I now play a Neural:X disk without changing selection, will the processor automatically switch? If so, I can just leave this selection for all the movie disks I have at present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display1 w.atmos source.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2583600   Click image for larger version

Name:	display2 w.Atmos source.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2583602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Third on-screen Sel.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2583604  

Last edited by uhdnut; 06-23-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #3890 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
@CurryStorm

Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H.
The S950H is a 2019 model. Please repost in the 2019 Denon AVR Owner's thread.
post #3891 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When I have selected the third on-screen choice as shown, and while an Atmos disk is playing, I get the display1. If I press the "Movies" button, it changes to display2 for about two seconds. So if I now play a Neural:X disk without changing selection, will the processor automatically switch? If so, I can just leave this selection for all the movie disks I have at present.
When you press the MOVIE button, you're seeing two surround mode options. Each time you press the MOVIE button it moves to the next surround mode.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #3892 of 5317 Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
The S950H is a 2019 model. Please repost in the 2019 Denon AVR Owner's thread.
sorry, missed that
post #3893 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
When you press the MOVIE button, you're seeing two surround mode options. Each time you press the MOVIE button it moves to the next surround mode.
I got that.

I finally found a DTS:X movie to run a test against an Atmos. My receiver detects whether a disk is Atmos or DTS:X and resets its mode; no need to manually change it. Thanks for answers.
post #3894 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the X 3500h allow Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization with firmware update like the X3600H? If so, will the only difference between the two be HDCP 2.3?
post #3895 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr. View Post
Will the X 3500h allow Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization with firmware update like the X3600H?
No. Very low probability that Dolby Speaker Virtualizer (surround virtualization for 2.0/2.1/3.1 setups & height virtualization for 5.1/7.1 setups) will be backported to the 2018 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr. View Post
If so, will the only difference between the two be HDCP 2.3?
X3600H has more than DSV and HDCP 2.3!
- it is a 9.2channels receiver, not 7.2ch like X3500H
- Dolby Atmos (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 with external amp)
- DTS:X up to 9ch
- 11.2ch processing, 11.2ch pre-out
- D.D.S.C.-HD with AL32 Processing Multi-channel
- Bass Sync
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by dfa973; 06-24-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #3896 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I recently replaced my X4000H with a X4400H and then X4500H.

With my X4000H on my Harmony remote there were more discrete functions than I am seeing with either the 4400 or 4500H. Specifically I made regular use of a quick control for "Audyssey dynamic volume" that allowed me to change the Audyssey volume level between off/low/medium/heavy with a single button press.

This button appears to be gone on the newer units.... has anyone had success doing a workaround on this where they add the older Denon device that has the discrete command and then map it into their Harmony remote?
post #3897 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 468
One other question...

For those who have their AVR installed in an enclosed area what are you using for a small monitor that can be used on the 2nd HDMI output for displaying the AVR OSD information separate from the main display?

I'd like to install a small 7" to 9" type screen that I could control the brightness on, connect to HDMI Monitor 2 output and just use to see the AVR volume, OSD controls, etc.
studiozut likes this.
post #3898 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I finally found a DTS:X movie to run a test against an Atmos. My receiver detects whether a disk is Atmos or DTS:X and resets its mode; no need to manually change it. Thanks for answers.
For me (x6500) I find that if I switch the sound modes then some Atmos soundtracks get output as DD+, and then I switch those to Atmos and a lot of DD+ soundtracks get output as Atmos. Not sure what's happening. I cycle through the "pure" button options until I get the "auto" setting and then everything is fine.

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
post #3899 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 369
hey guys ,wanted to ask how many sound effects does the x4500 or x3500h have ? iknow it hs the all channel or multi channel stereo mode and jazz and rock any other? just waiting till july 15 th or so to make a decision between x4500 and x3600 as it is 9.2

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
post #3900 of 5317 Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I'd like to install a small 7" to 9" type screen that I could control the brightness on, connect to HDMI Monitor 2 output and just use to see the AVR volume, OSD controls, etc.
Tell us what you end up using! I'd love to have a secondary panel to display info and settings when viewing something through the TV (Android TV apps, broadcast TV, or anything I plug directly into the TV and listen to over eARC to the Denon)

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page