"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2662Likes

post #3961 of 5399 Old 06-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1211 View Post
Hey all, I have a question.

I'm using Spotify Connect to play music on the DENON Avr-x3500h.

I disable audyssey for stereo music because it makes the music less 'in your face' and easier listening for longer sessions (just my opinion). Thing is, every track seems to have a different volume, I can't find any option to normalize the volume, I'm currently micromanaging the volume for every single Spotify track.

Is there a way to solve this (basic?) issue? (without enabling Audyssey).
Are you using bypass L&R under Setup->Audyssey-> MultEQ or are you totally disabling Audyssey by setting it to Off? If enabling Audyssey is correcting the issue then it's a source issue and would be hard to fix levels from song to song .

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5399 Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprizal View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I had bumped my sub level up to -6db after the calibration set it to -12db. I'll lower the gain and try again.
Good deal. Hopefully that gets you a more in range offset. I had a similar issue in a small space with dual ported subwoofers.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3963 of 5399 Old 06-30-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Denon AVR-S540BT and am unable to get sound through it when watching cable TV. The TV is a Samsung 46D550.
I don't have the cable TV running through the AVR.

My connections:

* TV optical out to AVR optical 1/TV Audio
* AVR HDMI out/Monitor/ARC to TV HDMI In 2
Both connections are just like this:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS540BT/N...OKNRMLsxqhaydf
Which says I should be getting audio.

* coax cable in to cable box
* cable box HDMI to TV HDMI In 1
* Blu-Ray HDMI to AVR HDMI DVD/Blu-Ray In

I think I've tried every combo of settings in the Video menu.
I also had a Yamaha HTR-4065BL connected this way and was able to get audio through the AVR when watching TV.
But the optical-in on it was one of the numbered AV inputs (AV4), and the remote had buttons for HDMI 1-4 and AV 1-7.
On the Denon, the optical in is just part of a separate digital audio in section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 5399 Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked: 12299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-L View Post
I have a Denon AVR-S540BT and am unable to get sound through it when watching cable TV. The TV is a Samsung 46D550.
I don't have the cable TV running through the AVR.

My connections:

* TV optical out to AVR optical 1/TV Audio
* AVR HDMI out/Monitor/ARC to TV HDMI In 2
Both connections are just like this:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS540BT/N...OKNRMLsxqhaydf
Which says I should be getting audio.

* coax cable in to cable box
* cable box HDMI to TV HDMI In 1
* Blu-Ray HDMI to AVR HDMI DVD/Blu-Ray In

I think I've tried every combo of settings in the Video menu.
I also had a Yamaha HTR-4065BL connected this way and was able to get audio through the AVR when watching TV.
But the optical-in on it was one of the numbered AV inputs (AV4), and the remote had buttons for HDMI 1-4 and AV 1-7.
On the Denon, the optical in is just part of a separate digital audio in section.
The OPT1 input on the S540BT is labeled "TV Audio". If the TV is set to pass the audio to "Home theater/external" then when you press the "TV Audio" button on the remote, the audio should pass to the S540BT.
post #3965 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Question I have the Denon X4500H and I was watching Star Trek Discovery on the CBS all Access app through my Apple 4K TV.
All I get is the is Multi ch on my Denon?
Netflix I get Atmos when the content supports it but other shows in Multi Ch?
Can someone explain this to me? I can’t get other Dolby formats?
I get DD+ and other formats with my HD antenna and my other devices the same.
I will also post this on the Apple TV thread.
Thanks in advance!

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #3966 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Question I have the Denon X4500H and I was watching Star Trek Discovery on the CBS all Access app through my Apple 4K TV.
Thanks in advance!
If the source decodes the DD/DTS audio to PCM, then the AVR will read "Multi CH In".

If the source passes the DD/DTS as is (ie. "bitstream") to the AVR then the AVR will read DD/DTS which the AVR then decodes to PCM.
bigguyca and malmstump like this.
post #3967 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There are two ways to bypass the surround speakers and instead pass the source audio to the TV speakers:

(1) When the AVR is powered on: set <HDMI Audio Out> to "TV" (p. 164 Owner's manual).

(2) When the AVR is in standby: With the AVR still powered on, set <HDMI Passthrough> to ON (p. 164 Owner's manual; factory default) and set <Passthrough Source> (p. 165 Owner's manual) to either "LAST" or the HDMI input you want to pass through while the unit is in standby. Note also that if you change the <RC Source Select> (p. 165 Owner's manual) setting to "Source Select Only", you can use the remote control to select a different HDMI source to pass through while the AVR is still in standby.
I understood the first point that you mentioned and did that. Still no sound from TV.

I also did the second part as shown in the second pic below. Still no sound from TV.

I remember once getting the sound from TV but can not get it now. Is there another setting somewhere that controls this?

post #3968 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can someone explain why you would want to limit Audyseey to only 10Hz through 300 or 500Hz frequencies and nothing higher? I have often seen people set the limit to what Audyseey can EQ. What does that do for us?

Last edited by NismoZ; 07-01-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #3969 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I understood the first point that you mentioned and did that. Still no sound from TV.

I also did the second part as shown in the second pic below. Still no sound from TV.

I remember once getting the sound from TV but can not get it now. Is there another setting somewhere that controls this?

Apple TV 4K converts DD+/Atmos to PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3970 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post

Was your comment in response to my question?
post #3971 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks in advance!

post #3972 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Was your comment in response to my question?

Sorry, answer to the wrong message. My apologies.

post #3973 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1211 View Post
Hey all, I have a question.

I'm using Spotify Connect to play music on the DENON Avr-x3500h.

I disable audyssey for stereo music because it makes the music less 'in your face' and easier listening for longer sessions (just my opinion). Thing is, every track seems to have a different volume, I can't find any option to normalize the volume, I'm currently micromanaging the volume for every single Spotify track.

Is there a way to solve this (basic?) issue? (without enabling Audyssey).

I haven't found anything on My Denon to normalize music. There are applications to do this, but would need to be in the path before the Denon. I think ROON can normalize levels and there might be a plugin for Foobar to do it. I guess it would come down to something that would allow you to connect to your online music source of choice. This is something that I have noticed with recordings in general I probably have 50K songs. Several different portable music players, I use the OPPO 203 for playback. They all are subject to the volume variations you mention. His even when tracks from the same album are played. If you think it is aggravating with speakers, try headphones or IEMs with a player in your pocket. I have tried applying ReplayGain on a per track basis to everything. That is a marginal improvement at best. The problem is that the masters are done with widely differing max levels and compression application.

As I started this off, there is nothing in the Denon settings to fix it. You could try the Dynamic Range control. But it is a single level of compression per setting. But it screws up music in general anyway. SO I refuse to use it.
If anyone has any good suggestions on dealing with this, I would love to hear it. My solution is to keep the remote whit volume control handy.. or just give up and listen at a level where the loudest of the offenders will not hurt my ears or equipment.

If you
post #3974 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I reset the AVR to factory settings twice.

Still no audio to TV.

Here is what the screen looks like.

I am definitely missing some setting that controls audio being sent to TV.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 07-01-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #3975 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
I reset the AVR to factory settings twice.

Still no audio to TV.

Here is what the screen looks like.

I am definitely missing some setting that controls audio being sent to TV.

What model is the TV?

post #3976 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What model is the TV?

Panasonic viera th-58pz800u. Works fine when connected directly to Uverse TV cable modem or Amazon Fire TV stick.
post #3977 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Panasonic viera th-58pz800u. Works fine when connected directly to Uverse TV cable modem or Amazon Fire TV stick.

Are you hooked up to the ARC output on both the AVR and ARC compatible input on the TV?

Does anything change if you turn veira link on in the tv and turn on ARC and hdmi control on the Denon?

post #3978 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you hooked up to the ARC output on both the AVR and ARC compatible input on the TV?

Does anything change if you turn veira link on in the tv and turn on ARC and hdmi control on the Denon?

TV is plugged to Zone 1 ARC port of the AVR. But I am not trying to get TV sound to AVR. Instead I want audio signal from Cable Box to bypass AVR speakers and get sent to the TV for TV speakers.
post #3979 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
TV is plugged to Zone 1 ARC port of the AVR. But I am not trying to get TV sound to AVR. Instead I want audio signal from Cable Box to bypass AVR speakers and get sent to the TV for TV speakers.

Yes I understand. The feature where the AVR passes HDMI audio back to the TV speakers when it is in standby mode only works on the ARC port on the AVR.

post #3980 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I understand. The feature where the AVR passes HDMI audio back to the TV speakers when it is in standby mode only works on the ARC port on the AVR.

Oh. Thanks.

Does that mean that I need to enable ARC? Also does that mean that I need to replace my HDMI cable? The current cable is an old HDMI cable.

I had earlier thought that this feature just forwards the HDMI signal from Cable box including its audio to TV and let TV use it as if it was connected to the Cable box directly.
post #3981 of 5399 Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Can someone explain why you would want to limit Audyseey to only 10Hz through 300 or 500Hz frequencies and nothing higher? I have often seen people set the limit to what Audyseey can EQ. What does that do for us?
Many academics in audio believe that EQing above the transition frequency of the room from room dominated sound to direct sound from the speaker dominating is a waste of time and can actually be harmful to the overall sound. This is more room dependent than anything because in some spaces EQing full range can benefit the sound. Just a matter of preference in the end. The paid MultEQ mobile app is required for band limited correction.
dfa973 likes this.

post #3982 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I am getting the same and did a bit of research on this. Conclusion: You are indeed getting the surround sound formats without any quality loss (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus) but the AVR displays it as Mult Ch In. If you use the Info button in you AVR remote, it will show you that you are getting 5 or 7 discrete channels of sound.

Why this happens? Because Apple TV 4K decodes the incoming signal and send it as LPCM signal. The other option is to not decode it and send it as bitstream and let the AVR do the decoding job. But, there is no option in Apple TV to do this. There is no difference in quality here, the only difference is in what the AVR displays - it will show Mult Ch In rather than DD or DD+. I am used to and like being the Audio format being displayed, but thats the way it is in Apple TV.

Interestingly, if its an Atmos signal, the AVR does show Atmos. Probably because Atmos is not really a different signal but rather a DD+ signal with metadata and i am assuming the AVR when understands that there is metadata it displays Atmos.

I am not an expert in the field, but this is what i gathered through my research. Corrections are welcome!
Madmax67 likes this.
post #3983 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It actually works with either HDMI monitor output. The ARC port only comes into play when using the ARC feature.
post #3984 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The source audio must be stereo 2.0.
post #3985 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. In that case, I will check the settings on my cable modem to see if I can set the audio there to stereo 2.0
post #3986 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
The feature where the AVR passes HDMI audio back to the TV speakers when it is in standby mode only works on the ARC port on the AVR.
Can you provide a reference for that? Thank you.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #3987 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Can you provide a reference for that? Thank you.

No I can’t, it’s just my recollection from owning an AVR for the past five years that had the feature.

Others have indicated that either monitor one or monitor two ports will work so maybe that info is more accurate.

post #3988 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just checked. The Uverse TV modem is set to send only Stereo sound.

What else can be wrong in my settings? To restate, the problem is the I have no sound from TV when the AVR is on and sound is forwarded to TV or when it is on standby.

See following pictures for my cable model and x3500h settings.

post #3989 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Just checked. The Uverse TV modem is set to send only Stereo sound.

What else can be wrong in my settings? To restate, the problem is the I have no sound from TV when the AVR is on and sound is forwarded to TV or when it is on standby.

See following pictures for my cable model and x3500h settings.

Everything looks like it is set correctly. If the feature uses Ethernet channel on HDMI make sure you are using a cable that has that feature.

Have you tried another source for the standby audio?

Other than that, call Denon see if they can help.

Madmax67 likes this.
post #3990 of 5399 Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Everything looks like it is set correctly. If the feature uses Ethernet channel on HDMI make sure you are using a cable that has that feature.

Have you tried another source for the standby audio?

Other than that, call Denon see if they can help.

Will check the DVD as well.

I will call Denon to see if they can help.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 07-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page