"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2767Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3991 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1211 View Post
Hey all, I have a question.

I'm using Spotify Connect to play music on the DENON Avr-x3500h.

I disable audyssey for stereo music because it makes the music less 'in your face' and easier listening for longer sessions (just my opinion). Thing is, every track seems to have a different volume, I can't find any option to normalize the volume, I'm currently micromanaging the volume for every single Spotify track.

Is there a way to solve this (basic?) issue? (without enabling Audyssey).

I haven't found anything on My Denon to normalize music. There are applications to do this, but would need to be in the path before the Denon. I think ROON can normalize levels and there might be a plugin for Foobar to do it. I guess it would come down to something that would allow you to connect to your online music source of choice. This is something that I have noticed with recordings in general I probably have 50K songs. Several different portable music players, I use the OPPO 203 for playback. They all are subject to the volume variations you mention. His even when tracks from the same album are played. If you think it is aggravating with speakers, try headphones or IEMs with a player in your pocket. I have tried applying ReplayGain on a per track basis to everything. That is a marginal improvement at best. The problem is that the masters are done with widely differing max levels and compression application.


As I started this off, there is nothing in the Denon settings to fix it. You could try the Dynamic Range control. But it is a single level of compression per setting. But it screws up music in general anyway. SO I refuse to use it.
If anyone has any good suggestions on dealing with this, I would love to hear it. My solution is to keep the remote whit volume control handy.. or just give up and listen at a level where the loudest of the offenders will not hurt my ears or equipment.


If you
I more or less came to the same conclusion, I dont want to change the dynamics in a single song, so I don't think the receiver can help me with this.

I think it's up to Spotify to apply a gain on the entire song to level the playlist. It's so annoying, I can't imagine there isn't a proper solution. When I play music on my phone Spotify is providing a volume normalisation, but when using Spotify Connect this option is unavailable.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Mike Lang; 07-02-2019 at 11:45 AM.
John1211 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3992 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Will check the DVD as well.

I will call Denon to see if they can help.
Ok. Talked with Denon. Looks like my Uverse TV set top box (by Cisco) is not compatible. By the way, he said no need to set the cable box audio out to stereo 2.0.

Amazon Fire TV works.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #3993 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mactavish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I haven't found anything on My Denon to normalize music. There are applications to do this, but would need to be in the path before the Denon. I think ROON can normalize levels and there might be a plugin for Foobar to do it. I guess it would come down to something that would allow you to connect to your online music source of choice. This is something that I have noticed with recordings in general I probably have 50K songs. Several different portable music players, I use the OPPO 203 for playback. They all are subject to the volume variations you mention. His even when tracks from the same album are played. If you think it is aggravating with speakers, try headphones or IEMs with a player in your pocket. I have tried applying ReplayGain on a per track basis to everything. That is a marginal improvement at best. The problem is that the masters are done with widely differing max levels and compression application.


As I started this off, there is nothing in the Denon settings to fix it. You could try the Dynamic Range control. But it is a single level of compression per setting. But it screws up music in general anyway. SO I refuse to use it.
If anyone has any good suggestions on dealing with this, I would love to hear it. My solution is to keep the remote whit volume control handy.. or just give up and listen at a level where the loudest of the offenders will not hurt my ears or equipment.


If you
I WROTE TO AUDYSSEY, on their site concerning how DYNAMIC VOLUME works, I was still left confused. Using HEOS APP to stream Amazon music, perhaps the song to song volume differences are perhaps too great for DV to work effectively, I still have to ride my volume on a song to song basis via the remote.

MY QUESTION:
I have a good grasp on Dynamic Volume, for its use on a movie and what it does based on dialog. But I’m confused on how it potentially works on other audio inputs. For music playback let’s say on a CD in my Oppo player, does DV manage any large audio volume changes on a song to song basis? And a more important example to me, what about songs playing via internet radio, is the DV just monitoring the individual song playing, or trying to maintain the overall loudness between all the songs streaming on that input channel? On my Denon 3500, I use HEOS to stream various music channels, and find a huge volume difference from song to song, and was wondering if DV settings might be suitable to tame these large volume differences, if so then I’d assume it would work that way for a group of songs in a playlist like playback from my iTunes library etc. So basically is DV working on a song by song or just within a single song? Thanks, hope I was clear about my question. Thanks.

Audyssey ANSWER:

Both, working on all songs and individual songs. There is a flat change to audio that is happening when Dynamic Volume is turned on, this will affect all songs. And there is a dynamic component that adjusts based on the content being provided to prevent sudden changes of volume.

Setting Dynamic Volume to Heavy will make the most notable difference, making a very quiet song audible at the extra low volume level necessary for loud songs.
Madmax67 likes this.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
Mactavish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3994 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,153
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
This thread seems to only go up to the X6500H on the first post when comparing models. Where would I find the comparison between the X6500H and the X8500H?

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #3995 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,350
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22767 Post(s)
Liked: 12418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
This thread seems to only go up to the X6500H on the first post when comparing models. Where would I find the comparison between the X6500H and the X8500H?
The "flagship" models have their own dedicated threads.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vr-thread.html
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3996 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 114
It is just a compressor. It rides the gain for you, but it affects everything by removing the dynamics from the program material. In the process, to make up for compression it will reduce overall volume. If nothing but volume levels concerns you, see if it does what you need.
Something like ReplayGain reduces the volume on a track by track basis, but does not change the dynamic range. It is a better solution from the fidelity standpoint, but as I said it does not seem to get rid of level differences in all cases.
I think the reason is the way many tracks are recorded. If the are compressed and the level raised so they sound as loud as possible (higher average loudness, research "loudness wars") then reducing peak levels with any method will still have them sounding louder than something with lower "average" level but more dynamic range.
This is an interesting discussion on the subject.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...-volume.90444/


In any case, whether the effect to control volume is worth the reduction in quality is up to you. I think this may end up being dependent on what kind of material you listen to and whether it is just background or serious listening that you do.
Madmax67 likes this.
ppasteur is offline  
post #3997 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mactavish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
It is just a compressor. It rides the gain for you, but it affects everything by removing the dynamics from the program material. In the process, to make up for compression it will reduce overall volume. If nothing but volume levels concerns you, see if it does what you need.
Something like ReplayGain reduces the volume on a track by track basis, but does not change the dynamic range. It is a better solution from the fidelity standpoint, but as I said it does not seem to get rid of level differences in all cases.
I think the reason is the way many tracks are recorded. If the are compressed and the level raised so they sound as loud as possible (higher average loudness, research "loudness wars") then reducing peak levels with any method will still have them sounding louder than something with lower "average" level but more dynamic range.
This is an interesting discussion on the subject.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...-volume.90444/


In any case, whether the effect to control volume is worth the reduction in quality is up to you. I think this may end up being dependent on what kind of material you listen to and whether it is just background or serious listening that you do.
No “ReplyGain” setting on my Denon 3500h. I use the only setting I can find under Audyssey, “Dynamic Volume”. This is for casual LATE night streaming of HEOS Amazon streaming music, so as not to disturb neighbors, quality is secondary in this application. I use the “medium” setting, so not all quality lost, guess I should try the highest setting, but didn’t like the audio much, seemed to cross the bad line, but I should test it just to see if it can contain the huge volume differences I hear between songs.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
Mactavish is offline  
post #3998 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the reply, the response from Audyssey is indeed confirming there will be a loss in dynamics within the song.

I think only Spotify can analyse an entire song and adjust its gain before sending it upstream, that would be the most desirable solution in my opinion.
John1211 is offline  
post #3999 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
No “ReplyGain” setting on my Denon 3500h. I use the only setting I can find under Audyssey, “Dynamic Volume”. This is for casual LATE night streaming of HEOS Amazon streaming music, so as not to disturb neighbors, quality is secondary in this application. I use the “medium” setting, so not all quality lost, guess I should try the highest setting, but didn’t like the audio much, seemed to cross the bad line, but I should test it just to see if it can contain the huge volume differences I hear between songs.

No as mentioned the Denon has nothing other than the DV. Other manipulations would have to be done upstream. Besides, I also said that ReplayGain is not all that effective for me with headphones.
To use it you need to analyze and tag each song so that the player knows what to do with it. No way to do that with Amazon Music. Unless you use something other than HEOS to play it with. But that would not be ReplayGain.
I just mentioned that system as a comparison. As in, program that would use raw volume settings rather than compression to regulate playback levels.
My bottom line for this is, if you can't use something else, with the Denon and HEOS, all you have to work with is Dynamic Volume. I hope it gets you close to what you want...
You could always use headphones.
ppasteur is offline  
post #4000 of 5651 Old 07-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1211 View Post
I think only Spotify can analyse an entire song and adjust its gain before sending it upstream, that would be the most desirable solution in my opinion.

Nope. This program in the picture does ReplayGain calculations on-the-fly just fine. It happens at near the end of the track playing, for the next track to play. Ideally, though, you have RG already done on tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on-the-fly_replaygain.png
Views:	33
Size:	1,010.9 KB
ID:	2586912  

Last edited by 40th.com; 07-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.
40th.com is offline  
post #4001 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1211 View Post
Thanks for all the reply, the response from Audyssey is indeed confirming there will be a loss in dynamics within the song.



I think only Spotify can analyse an entire song and adjust its gain before sending it upstream, that would be the most desirable solution in my opinion.
Spotify Android app can normalize the volume between tracks but Spotify connect app in Denon can not.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #4002 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
MarkyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
I just picked up an old Adcom Amplifier for a good price. What I didn't realize is that it doesn't have "signal sensing" for automatic turn on, nor does it even have a 12V trigger to turn it on automatically.

I'd like it to turn on when my AVR turns on, X4500H. Any ideas about the easiest way to turn the amplifier on automatically?

I saw this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...power-amp.html

This was the suggestion from JDSmoothie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1QJXQ/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Any newer or better ideas, or is that still the best solution.
That's still the best solution as far as I know.

Since 2012 I have been using the larger version of the one JD is recommending to turn my vintage Carver M1.0t amp on & off with my Denon AVR. It has a bunch of un-switched outlets as well with surge protection.

You plug the AVR into the control outlet on the strip and then whatever is plugged into the auto-switched outlets power on & off (after an adjustable delay) with the AVR.

The one I have is the Smart Strip LCG-3MVR:

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-L...gateway&sr=8-1
carlosinseattle likes this.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains & VP100 Center, Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub, Phase Tech Surrounds & 2 Polk RC60i Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Axiom M2v3's, BIC 10" Sub.

Last edited by MarkyM; 07-03-2019 at 07:56 AM.
MarkyM is online now  
post #4003 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all. I am going to upgrade from a Pioneer Elite SC-81 to either a Pioneer VSX-LX504 or Denon X4500H. Both have the Imax Enhanced label, and the Pioneer says it will also receive the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update. Do you know if the X4500H will also receive the Height Virtualization update? I don't see this mentioned in the forum (apologies if I missed it) and the Denon website has a "-" next to the listed features.

If the Denon won't receive this update would this a deal breaker? I will have a 7.1.2 setup (upfiring speakers placed on Klipsch front towers similar to the pictures on a previous post; currently acting as front height speakers) and I will not be placing any ceiling speakers.

Thank-you for any input!
savage01 is offline  
post #4004 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
oldsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Citrus Hts., CA
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage01 View Post
Hi all. I am going to upgrade from a Pioneer Elite SC-81 to either a Pioneer VSX-LX504 or Denon X4500H. Both have the Imax Enhanced label, and the Pioneer says it will also receive the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update. Do you know if the X4500H will also receive the Height Virtualization update? I don't see this mentioned in the forum (apologies if I missed it) and the Denon website has a "-" next to the listed features.

If the Denon won't receive this update would this a deal breaker? I will have a 7.1.2 setup (upfiring speakers placed on Klipsch front towers similar to the pictures on a previous post; currently acting as front height speakers) and I will not be placing any ceiling speakers.

Thank-you for any input!
I don't believe the X4500H will be receiving the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update since it is an 5.2.4 receiver. I read that the update is mainly for enhancement to systems only using 2 Atmos speakers. Coming from a Pioneer SC-95 my new AVR X4500H is quite an upgrade over it.

savage01 likes this.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
oldsteve is offline  
post #4005 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,676
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Guys I am having a weird issue with my x4500h and the copy of Guardians OTG V2 Uhd disc.

The oppo shows the disc has Atmos soundtrack but keeps playing in DD and denon shows DD as well. Oppo is set to bitstream on everything. Same thing for MI:Ghost Protocol. I for sure know the 4K discs have atmos tracks but these two play in DD or DD+Dolby Upmixer. Others play fine in Atmos. Any suggestions for oppo or denon?

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #4006 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,350
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22767 Post(s)
Liked: 12418
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage01 View Post
Hi all. I am going to upgrade from a Pioneer Elite SC-81 to either a Pioneer VSX-LX504 or Denon X4500H. Both have the Imax Enhanced label, and the Pioneer says it will also receive the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update. Do you know if the X4500H will also receive the Height Virtualization update? I don't see this mentioned in the forum (apologies if I missed it) and the Denon website has a "-" next to the listed features.

If the Denon won't receive this update would this a deal breaker? I will have a 7.1.2 setup (upfiring speakers placed on Klipsch front towers similar to the pictures on a previous post; currently acting as front height speakers) and I will not be placing any ceiling speakers.

Thank-you for any input!
AFAIK, the X4500H will not receive the update; however, shouldn't be a deal breaker with a 7.1.2 setup as this feature is designed primarily for someone with a 3.1 or 5.1 setup (ie. no height or rear surround speakers).
savage01 and Zoland2020 like this.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #4007 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,676
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Guys I am having a weird issue with my x4500h and the copy of Guardians OTG V2 Uhd disc.

The oppo shows the disc has Atmos soundtrack but keeps playing in DD and denon shows DD as well. Oppo is set to bitstream on everything. Same thing for MI:Ghost Protocol. I for sure know the 4K discs have atmos tracks but these two play in DD or DD+Dolby Upmixer. Others play fine in Atmos. Any suggestions for oppo or denon?
Okay Ive actually lost Atmos on everything. Pls help, I dont know what happened.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #4008 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My 4 month old Denon X3500 H arc HDMI stopped working few weeks back(no video out). Denon customer support diagnosed and offered to repair or Upgrade exchange for a X6500 H. The exchange price quoted by Denon is not going to work out as they base it on MSRP for the new X6500H and credit X3500 H for the lower deal I got from another online dealer.

What should I do?

a) I don't care for arc sound but not feeling good that one HDMI is toast
b) Wait till 3600H is released and hope X3500 H MSRP drops?
c) I do want X6500 H but not at MSRP

Gimme some direction guys....
mapleoak is offline  
post #4009 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleoak View Post
My 4 month old Denon X3500 H arc HDMI stopped working few weeks back(no video out). Denon customer support diagnosed and offered to repair or Upgrade exchange for a X6500 H. The exchange price quoted by Denon is not going to work out as they base it on MSRP for the new X6500H and credit X3500 H for the lower deal I got from another online dealer.

What should I do?

a) I don't care for arc sound but not feeling good that one HDMI is toast
b) Wait till 3600H is released and hope X3500 H MSRP drops?
c) I do want X6500 H but not at MSRP

Gimme some direction guys....

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Certainly it's aggravating when bad luck strikes on a new piece of gear.

Did you buy the X3500H from an authorized dealer and thus have a valid warranty? Assuming that's the case:

The customer support guy has gotten the X6500H in your mind. Now if he offers it for 10% or 20% off, which if far from a good deal in this situation, you may buy. Customer service should be helping you get your unit back to 100%, not trying to make a buck (or a lot of bucks at MSRP) off your situation.

The X6500H was available when you purchased your X3500H, and likely at a good discount as is true of almost all gear. You didn't buy an X6500H when you made your original decision. What has changed? The list for the X6500H is more than double the X3500H. Unless something has changed in your situation then why not stay with your original decision and have the X3500H repaired under warranty. This not a great year to buy an AVR/AVP. It seems doubtful that new units, especially higher-end units, are flying out the door. HDMI 2.1 should be here next year, and with it other upgrades to the digital board such as new, more powerful DSP chips.

As a note: If you live in California then by California law, Denon has to pay shipping both ways on the warranty work and provide a new box if you don't have the old one.
Madmax67 likes this.
bigguyca is online now  
post #4010 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Certainly it's aggravating when bad luck strikes on a new piece of gear.

Did you buy the X3500H from an authorized dealer and thus have a valid warranty? Assuming that's the case:

The customer support guy has gotten the X6500H in your mind. Now if he offers it for 10% or 20% off, which if far from a good deal in this situation, you may buy. Customer service should be helping you get your unit back to 100%, not trying to make a buck (or a lot of bucks at MSRP) off your situation.

The X6500H was available when you purchased your X3500H, and likely at a good discount as is true of almost all gear. You didn't buy an X6500H when you made your original decision. What has changed? The list for the X6500H is more than double the X3500H. Unless something has changed in your situation then why not stay with your original decision and have the X3500H repaired under warranty. This not a great year to buy an AVR/AVP. It seems doubtful that new units, especially higher-end units, are flying out the door. HDMI 2.1 should be here next year, and with it other upgrades to the digital board such as new, more powerful DSP chips.

As a note: If you live in California then by California law, Denon has to pay shipping both ways on the warranty work and provide a new box if you don't have the old one.
a) Yes authorized dealer, thus the warranty (need to check on S&H , I have the box)
b) Why X35000 H ?: Budget and mainly not sure we will use the HT at all. Now, addicted to 4K (apple tv) and Upscaled feeds.
c) Why considering 6500H ?
  • Need to re route my HDMI (2.0b), so was looking for atmos speakers during the same work
  • Current X3500 H is still sending 4k to the projector from the good HDMI port , so 6500 is not must for 4k but an opportunity issue
  • HDMI 2.1 is a good pointer.

Looks like getting it repaired is the best option or the option!!

Last edited by mapleoak; 07-03-2019 at 10:34 PM.
mapleoak is offline  
post #4011 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,029
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Okay Ive actually lost Atmos on everything. Pls help, I dont know what happened.
Did the OPPO somehow reset secondary audio to the On setting?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #4012 of 5651 Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,029
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleoak View Post
My 4 month old Denon X3500 H arc HDMI stopped working few weeks back(no video out). Denon customer support diagnosed and offered to repair or Upgrade exchange for a X6500 H. The exchange price quoted by Denon is not going to work out as they base it on MSRP for the new X6500H and credit X3500 H for the lower deal I got from another online dealer.



What should I do?



a) I don't care for arc sound but not feeling good that one HDMI is toast

b) Wait till 3600H is released and hope X3500 H MSRP drops?

c) I do want X6500 H but not at MSRP



Gimme some direction guys....
Just get it repaired under warranty. That trade in program is a joke.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #4013 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,350
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22767 Post(s)
Liked: 12418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleoak View Post
My 4 month old Denon X3500 H arc HDMI stopped working few weeks back(no video out). Denon customer support diagnosed and offered to repair or Upgrade exchange for a X6500 H. The exchange price quoted by Denon is not going to work out as they base it on MSRP for the new X6500H and credit X3500 H for the lower deal I got from another online dealer.

What should I do?

a) I don't care for arc sound but not feeling good that one HDMI is toast
b) Wait till 3600H is released and hope X3500 H MSRP drops?
c) I do want X6500 H but not at MSRP

Gimme some direction guys....
Did you try resetting the microprocessor a few times in a row? If yes, and still no joy, then warranty repair.
mapleoak likes this.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #4014 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,676
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Okay Ive actually lost Atmos on everything. Pls help, I dont know what happened.
Did the OPPO somehow reset secondary audio to the On setting?
Thnx for the reply... its definitely the denon as i noticed the auddessy was also turned off. It was like this when I got home from work and nobody else used it. So I saved the settings on a usb, reset the reciever and uploaded again. Seems like all movies have atmos back but still no dice on GOTG V2 and Ghost Protocol. Im stumped!

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #4015 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Bluewookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern CT
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Question regarding Airplay 2, Spotify Connect and similar features. Are these wide open to anyone on same network, or is there are any sort of restrictions available, similar to the Airplay settings on Apple TV?

HT1: LG OLED65C9 -- Denon AVR-X3500H -- Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE's Front & Center -- Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's Rear -- Hsu VTF-3 MK4 -- Xbox One X -- Apple TV 4K -- Playstation 4 -- LG UBK90 -- Harmony Smart Control Remote & Hub -- Aircom T8
HT2: Samsung UN55JS700DF -- Denon AVR-X3500H -- SVS SB-01 5.0 speakers -- SVS PB12 NSD/V -- Apple TV 4K -- LG UBK90 -- Harmony Smart Control Remote & Hub -- Aircom T8
Bluewookie is offline  
post #4016 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Use Care with HDMI Connections

Note: This a repeat of a post from the X8500H thread where an HDMI output had failed in a unit. It seems appropriate to repeat it here.

HDMI connections are a point where damage from an electrostatic discharge is a risk. Static electric voltages can be very high, many thousands of volts. The associated energy from an electrostatic discharge, while unpleasant, is not typically dangerous to humans. In AVR's and AVP's HDMI data lines from a external HDMI connector are often tied directly to low voltage HDMI switching IC's. These IC's can be potentially be damaged by very small quantities of discharged energy. At least D/M and Yamaha have used the same two HDMI switching IC's from Panasonic for many years, so these are proven components. Always use care to not touch any of the HDMI contacts on equipment or the HDMI cable. It may help to touch a case screw or the grounding connection on the equipment case before connecting an HDMI cable.
Matt2026 and Madmax67 like this.
bigguyca is online now  
post #4017 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
prsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How interpret AVR Power Spec?

The Denon 4500h states Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)
125 W.


How does one interpret that if you use all 9 channels?


Ive started to wonder If I would benefit from a power amp. The volume level I use is at 50% for our listening in a 7.1.2 setup and the front right left seem to need to be turned up.
If I use a external power amp then is more power shared by the receiver to the remaining direct driven speakers?


Some insight appreciated.
Thanks!
prsman is offline  
post #4018 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi Everyone. I have an ARC Question.

I have a LR setup with a Samsung Q9FN that is fed over AVPro Edge EX100 HDBaseT from my x3500. I use TiVo as my cable source through the AVR. For all of this (and the whole house) I control with a Control4 EA5 and OS 3.0.

I can no longer get my Samsung Apps (Netflix, etc) to play sound through the x3500. It’s ources (like TiVo) play fine. The AVR output to the Samsung room is the ARC outlet.

This was discovered when I had my c4 system upgraded and cleaned up. This may or may not have anything to do with c4, since the apps don’t play sound through the AVR (used to work fine), but they do launch with even the c4 remote. (Launch, but no control or sound)

Setting in Samsung Q9FN, setting in Denon X3500? This is a real puzzle for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich428 is online now  
post #4019 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 11,933
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 733
The 2 channel driven is now the primary industry standard for power output disclosures, the more channels being driven @ the same time then average power output will decrease. However for movie soundtracks very seldom are all channels driven, music will likely be more demanding. The 4500H is an excellent AVR, and Denon is a quality brand. The key points U should be focusing on are:
  • Loudspeakers brand/model, specs for sensitivity & impedance
  • Will a subwoofer be used
  • Room size
  • Average volume level
  • Source media, movies, music

Just my $0.02...
tonygeno, osu fan, DonH50 and 2 others like this.
M Code is online now  
post #4020 of 5651 Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
prsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
The 2 channel driven is now the primary industry standard for power output disclosures, the more channels being driven @ the same time then average power output will decrease. However for movie soundtracks very seldom are all channels driven, music will likely be more demanding. The 4500H is an excellent AVR, and Denon is a quality brand. The key points U should be focusing on are:
  • Loudspeakers brand/model, specs for sensitivity & impedance
  • Will a subwoofer be used
  • Room size
  • Average volume level
  • Source media, movies, music

Just my $0.02...
thanks the loudspeakers are Polk RTi-A7, 8ohms, sensitivity 89db
2 subwoofers
Room is 4500ft3
Volume probably just below theater level.....wife complains.
100% movies, streaming,



what do you think?
prsman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 3500 , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , svs pb-1000 , tear ax3000 , testing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off