"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2505Likes

post #4171 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys, may I know how is the ceiling height distance measured for Atmos Enabled speakers? What is the measurement to put in my X3500H during Dolby speaker setup? The diagram show speaker to ceiling height. I measured and it is 1.5m. And the distance/delay measured after Audessey setup, it showed the same length as my front LR. I have a Elac B6.2 and a C5.2. My Atmos is Elac A4. My remaining 2 is a Def Tech 600, mounted on wall, pointing downwards to MLP.
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Issue with my 4K Apple TV and Denon X1500H receiver

Okay so beginning yesterday I've been having issues with my 4K Apple TV and Denon X1500H receiver. The signal cuts out and back in every few seconds. I've tried changing inputs on the receiver and the same issue happens. However when I connect my Apple TV directly to my 4K TV it's perfectly fine. No issues at all. I also have a 4K Sony blu-ray player and there have been no issues with that. I wondering if suddenly there's an issue in how the ATV and Denon receiver "talk" to each other. It was fine up until yesterday as I use my ATV for Netflix and streaming via AirPlay. I've tried resetting my receiver to no avail which means I now have to recalibrate all over again. I did that in haste and so perhaps it was not the best idea. Either way it didn't work. I did not try resetting the Apple TV but seeing as it works directly connected to the TV I don't see a reason to do that. So any suggestions?

LG 49" UHDTV 49UJ6300; Yamaha RX-V481; Sony UBP-X800 BD Player; Fluance SXHTB speaker set, SVS SB-1000
post #4173 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The argument that Denon makes in their manuals is that back EMF from the woofer is captured and used to add power to the tweeter.
Can't imagine who thought that up if the links between the woofer and the other drivers are removed.

Quote:
Biamp the same speaker without removing the inefficient passive crossovers(only the metal jumpers) and the woofer and tweeter still see the same amount of power correct?
I would probably say "the amount of power available from each amplifier" is the same. What the speaker actually draws depends on its impedance and the amplitude of the signal in the relevant frequency range.

Quote:
In my mind the woofer sees one amp's power and the tweeter sees the other but then both of those amplified signals are still put through the same inefficient set of resistors, inductors and capacitors.
Which is why meaningful bi-amping puts the filters in the line-level signal paths. That's how the real amplifier power preservation takes place.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22433 Post(s)
Liked: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by haman View Post
Hi guys, may I know how is the ceiling height distance measured for Atmos Enabled speakers? What is the measurement to put in my X3500H during Dolby speaker setup? The diagram show speaker to ceiling height. I measured and it is 1.5m. And the distance/delay measured after Audessey setup, it showed the same length as my front LR. I have a Elac B6.2 and a C5.2. My Atmos is Elac A4. My remaining 2 is a Def Tech 600, mounted on wall, pointing downwards to MLP.
Thanks.

Then enter 1.5m.
haman likes this.
post #4175 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Okay so beginning yesterday I've been having issues with my 4K Apple TV and Denon X1500H receiver. The signal cuts out and back in every few seconds. I've tried changing inputs on the receiver and the same issue happens. However when I connect my Apple TV directly to my 4K TV it's perfectly fine. No issues at all. I also have a 4K Sony blu-ray player and there have been no issues with that. I wondering if suddenly there's an issue in how the ATV and Denon receiver "talk" to each other. It was fine up until yesterday as I use my ATV for Netflix and streaming via AirPlay. I've tried resetting my receiver to no avail which means I now have to recalibrate all over again. I did that in haste and so perhaps it was not the best idea. Either way it didn't work. I did not try resetting the Apple TV but seeing as it works directly connected to the TV I don't see a reason to do that. So any suggestions?
Reset the Apple TV. Also note that you can SAVE (p. 223 Owner's manual) the AVR config file (including the Audyssey settings) to a USB thumb drive which can then be LOADed back after doing a microprocessor reset.
post #4176 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Reset the Apple TV. Also note that you can SAVE (p. 223 Owner's manual) the AVR config file (including the Audyssey settings) to a USB thumb drive which can then be LOADed back after doing a microprocessor reset.
Well after some more fiddling around it seems all I needed to do was switch the 4K video setting from "standard" to "enhanced" and now it seems to be working fine. However I'm still having a problem with auto-off and HDMI pass-through features. Both are turned on but neither seem to work as advertised. The receiver will just stay on until I switch it off even when everything else is turned off. Also no audio or video passes through unless the receiver is turned on even though I have enabled the feature.

LG 49" UHDTV 49UJ6300; Yamaha RX-V481; Sony UBP-X800 BD Player; Fluance SXHTB speaker set, SVS SB-1000
post #4177 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Well after some more fiddling around it seems all I needed to do was switch the 4K video setting from "standard" to "enhanced" and now it seems to be working fine. However I'm still having a problem with auto-off and HDMI pass-through features. Both are turned on but neither seem to work as advertised. The receiver will just stay on until I switch it off even when everything else is turned off. Also no audio or video passes through unless the receiver is turned on even though I have enabled the feature.
1. <Auto Off> (p. 173 Owner's manual) only works with HEOS sources and the AM/FM Tuner.
2. What pass through source is selected (default is CBL/SAT)? Is HDMI Control enabled?
post #4178 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Can't imagine who thought that up if the links between the woofer and the other drivers are removed.
Exactly. I was thinking that would be an argument to leave the jumpers on thus not bi amp.

Quote:
Which is why meaningful bi-amping put the filters in the line-level signal paths. That's how the real amplifier power preservation takes place.
Correct and many who I've listened to who actually used to actively bi amp their setups now say it's relatively unnecessary with the quality of speakers nowadays and availability of cheap power. I have a list somewhere in my Google Keeps folder listing them. Few amateur speaker designers, engineers, hobbyists etc... Ones who still do use higher dollar compression drivers in dedicated setups with above Reference level listening peaks. There's several in the speaker DIY threads. 8 plus subwoofers, line arrays and the like. Those are the 1 percenters in home audio.
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4179 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haman View Post
Thanks.

It's measuring the acoustical distance not necessarily always the actual physical distance. Subwoofer distances for example include delay for DSP in a plate amp. May be something similar with dedicated Atmos upfiring modules that have a high frequency delay built into its crossover. If things sound better after entering the actual physical distance then just do that. Otherwise return it to its longer preset distance and enjoy.

EDIT: Ok. From rereading what you said it seems the auto setup has you enter the physical distance between the up firing Atmos module and the ceiling before calibration. That's fine. Afterwards just leave the post Audyssey distance setting alone.
haman likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 07-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #4180 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Have you tried swapping the power cables?
Thanks jd! I used the power cable from one of my retired Pioneer receivers to exchange with the one that came with the X4500H. Quite a bit of difference in fit. The stock one is much narrower than the socket dimensions on the AVR causing it to easily come loose. The old Pioneer cable I replaced it with fits nice and tight with no movement. Your suggestion jd of doing a swap of cables really paid off! Thanks again.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #4181 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Yup, can't hurt to try both. Good thing is you can save one configuration to USB and run another then save it and load both back and forth to listen which sounds best in your space.
So when I've tried to save more than one config to a flash drive it overwrites the existing config. Are you saying there's a way to save more than one config on the same USB? Teach me to fish Sensei!

Vizio E-701i, Denon X4500H, Crown XLS-1502, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 II, Polk T15s, Klipsch RIC-65, Tivo Roamio OTA, LG BD570, Fire TV 1, Fire TV Stick 4K, XBox 360, Harmony Smart Control
post #4182 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
So when I've tried to save more than one config to a flash drive it overwrites the existing config. Are you saying there's a way to save more than one config on the same USB? Teach me to fish Sensei!
Two small flash drives.
post #4183 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry. Multiple flash drives. I buy cheap ADATA's off of Amazon by the dozen.

post #4184 of 5016 Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I keep a 512 GB “PNY” USB stick plugged into my 3500 all the time (formatted as FAT32). It has a lot of FLAC music on it, and I save the setup there, and yes it will just keep overwriting that same file. Before I do an Audyssey run, or if I’ve made a lot of menu changes, I’ll put a “wireless” USB stick in and save the same setup on that stick. These kind of USB sticks basically run their own little networks, which you can then access with your smart phone and app. Once I have access to the contents, I create dated folders and copy the setup file to the folder. Now you can safely save as many setups as you like. Of course you could also do the same by inserting the USB stick in your computer, but I’ve streamlined the operation a bit.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4185 of 5016 Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks guys, good info. I've been using sneakernet and backing up the flash drive's configurations to a laptop (poor man's version of Mactavish's setup). SouthernCA and Madmax67's methods would make me more likely to play around with my setup--but now that I think about it I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing!

Vizio E-701i, Denon X4500H, Crown XLS-1502, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 II, Polk T15s, Klipsch RIC-65, Tivo Roamio OTA, LG BD570, Fire TV 1, Fire TV Stick 4K, XBox 360, Harmony Smart Control
post #4186 of 5016 Old 07-16-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Denon or another site have release notes with the firmware upgrades? I downloaded the latest firmware from Denon's site and installed via USB on a x4500 but now it is prompting me to install another update over wifi. I want to be able to look at the firmware version number and make sure it is the latest one. On Denon's site all I can see is the file and date it was posted so really hard to compare. I was having trouble with it auto updating which is the reason I manually installed it.
post #4187 of 5016 Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Put the flash drive into a computer and rename the file so it ends in the date you made the configuration. YYMMDD format (today is 190716) is handy because then the files will automatically sort chronologically.
Madmax67 likes this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #4188 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For anyone using the S740h and 4 or 6 ohm speakers, how well does the amp do? I'm looking at using Sony Core CS5 as my fronts and a CS8 as the center, they are both 6ohm. I am also looking at using 4 Dayton MK402X's as rear surrounds and height speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. They are 4ohm. How well should I expect the S740h to perform? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #4189 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
For anyone using the S740h and 4 or 6 ohm speakers, how well does the amp do? I'm looking at using Sony Core CS5 as my fronts and a CS8 as the center, they are both 6ohm. I am also looking at using 4 Dayton MK402X's as rear surrounds and height speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. They are 4ohm. How well should I expect the S740h to perform? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
At moderate TV listening levels, shouldn't be a problem at all.
post #4190 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question regarding bass management implementation in x3500.

Does the sub out signal starts decreasing at the cross over frequency (going from low to high freq)?

Similarly, does the main speakers signal starts decreasing at the cross over frequency (going from high to low freq)?

Or do they start earlier and cross each other at the crossover frequency? That would provide a smoother transition.
post #4191 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post

Does the sub out signal starts decreasing at the cross over frequency (going from low to high freq)?

Similarly, does the main speakers signal starts decreasing at the cross over frequency (going from high to low freq)?

Or do they start earlier and cross each other at the crossover frequency? That would provide a smoother transition.

Crossovers work the way you have described otherwise there would be an undesirable rise in output at the crossover point.
post #4192 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post

There is no crossover at the sub pre-outs as a "crossover" only applies to the speakers set to SMALL which is not a brick wall as the crossover starts before the crossover and continues beyond the crossover.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #4193 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Has someone tried SACDs to check how multichannel DSD sounds with the AVR-X6500? I think bass is way lower than other receivers I had before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4194 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Separate amp(s) required for SW?

I searched the thread and didn't see an answer to my questions. I'm looking at the X6500 for my new house's theater room, for features and future-proofing as I don't tend to buy often. The room is much larger in volume than my old one. My old towers are quite capable well into the mid-20Hz, but given the sheer volume of the room and an unusual shape I want one or more standalone SW's for coverage/smoothness in the listening area. I came across and took a screaming deal on two passive subwoofers. The X6500 is attractive because it will equalize two separate SW channels for this need. But the outputs on the X6500 seem to only be line level for the SW channels. Is that an accurate impression?

I won't be initially using more than 5.1 so there will be unused channels on the receiver. Is there a way to re-assign any amp channels to drive the subwoofers? I've got a retired receiver that I could health check and hopefully use if needed, but would rather avoid further growth of the equipment stack.
post #4195 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault1 View Post
I searched the thread and didn't see an answer to my questions. I'm looking at the X6500 for my new house's theater room, for features and future-proofing as I don't tend to buy often. The room is much larger in volume than my old one. My old towers are quite capable well into the mid-20Hz, but given the sheer volume of the room and an unusual shape I want one or more standalone SW's for coverage/smoothness in the listening area. I came across and took a screaming deal on two passive subwoofers. The X6500 is attractive because it will equalize two separate SW channels for this need. But the outputs on the X6500 seem to only be line level for the SW channels. Is that an accurate impression?

I won't be initially using more than 5.1 so there will be unused channels on the receiver. Is there a way to re-assign any amp channels to drive the subwoofers? I've got a retired receiver that I could health check and hopefully use if needed, but would rather avoid further growth of the equipment stack.
Correct. In fact, AVRs in general on not designed to power subwoofers. Either purchase dedicated sub amps or look for powered subwoofers.
post #4196 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is anyone using an Aircom T8 (or T10) with the X3500 (or 3400)? If so, would you care to share how you have it set up, ie what temps you are trying to keep the receiver at, what temp you have the fans kick on, etc.

I have two applications in mind.

1.) Tv stand/rack with open front and back, open sides except for about the first 6" from the front, where it is just wide enough for the components.

2.) Component cabinet with closed front, open back, at least 4", maybe 6", space on each side.

Thanks!

HT1: LG OLED65C9 -- Denon AVR-X3500H -- Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE's Front & Center -- Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's Rear -- Hsu VTF-3 MK4 -- Xbox One X -- Apple TV 4K -- Playstation 4 -- LG UBK90 -- Harmony Smart Control Remote & Hub -- Aircom T8
HT2: Samsung UN55JS700DF -- Denon AVR-X3500H -- SVS SB-01 5.0 speakers -- SVS PB12 NSD/V -- Apple TV 4K -- LG UBK90 -- Harmony Smart Control Remote & Hub -- Aircom T8
post #4197 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
Is anyone using an Aircom T8 (or T10) with the X3500 (or 3400)? If so, would you care to share how you have it set up, ie what temps you are trying to keep the receiver at, what temp you have the fans kick on, etc.

1.) Tv stand/rack with open front and back, open sides except for about the first 6" from the front, where it is just wide enough for the components.

2.) Component cabinet with closed front, open back, at least 4", maybe 6", space on each side.

Thanks!

I have a 3500, and a T9, top vent, on an open air shelf. I set the fans to go on at 85f, and alarm for 100f, in the smart mode setting, with fan speed set in the middle. Works great. If you put it an enclosure, get the rear exhaust model, if it’s a closed box, perhaps the front exhaust model. Lots of choices.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4198 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post

Thanks!

I dont have a 3500 but I have a 4500. Using a T8. Set it to 90 degrees and fan speed 2. Anything louder than 2 is too loud for me. Works great.

https://i.imgur.com/LDRJS16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4199 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the Denon equivalent of Marantz 7013?
post #4200 of 5016 Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Crossovers work the way you have described otherwise there would be an undesirable rise in output at the crossover point.
Thanks. So if bass management crossover is set at 80 Hz, what frequencies do the decline start?

We can assume that it is 4rd order to sub annd 2nd order to main speakers.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 07-17-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page