"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2644Likes

post #4861 of 5317 Old 09-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My 6500 turns itself on sometimes. I have hdmi CEC off. No other components turn on, and nothing seems to be bumping the remote. Anyone else having this issue?

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5317 Old 09-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Anyone tried using the X4500 for IMAX enhanced? Was trying to watch the streamable content from my Sony Privilege 4K app (Beautiful Planet / Life) and audio is not picking up the IMAX DTS X.

It looks like it is only picking up stereo and then up mixing to Neural X - not sure what other settings/changes I can make to get it to work but I’d appreciate any ideas

Included a screenshot of what the AVR is showing when watching the IMAX enhanced content

I have used IMAX enhanced on the x4500 using the South Pacific bluray. The input will display “IMAX” when you’re inputting imax enhanced content (similar to how it shows ATMOS when playing atmos content).

Your screen shot suggests you’re not playing imax enhanced content (or that you need to update firmware etc).

Also. It sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4863 of 5317 Old 09-09-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Have a Denon X6500h on the way to replace my Anthem AVM60 + separates setup (due to money reasons).

Quick question: can you do quick measurement of a speaker/sub using the MultEQ app so I can test subwoofer location on the fly before running the entire measurement process?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 5317 Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Have a Denon X6500h on the way to replace my Anthem AVM60 + separates setup (due to money reasons).

Quick question: can you do quick measurement of a speaker/sub using the MultEQ app so I can test subwoofer location on the fly before running the entire measurement process?

Thanks!
The MultEQ app uses whatever version of Audyssey is on the AVR. The minimum number of mic positions when running Audyssey is 3.
post #4865 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try cycling the HDMI CEC/Control setting OFF/ON on the TV and AVR and then power both off and unplug the HDMI cable connecting them and their respective power cables for 10 minutes. Plug in all cables and power on the TV.
I also have this weird problem with the AVR-X1500H not turning ON when the LG TV turns ON.
1. The TV can Power OFF the AVR automatically.
2. If I turn ON the AVR manually (via AVR IR remote or other means) I can control the AVR just fine with the TV remote.
3. The AVR is switched ON automatically when a CEC enabled media player starts...
4. When the AVR is OFF the TV does not list the AVR as a controllable device via CEC - but the TV lists and can control the CEC enabled media player that is connected to the AVR!
5. No amount of soft resets and unplugged cables makes a difference - the AVR stubbornly refuses to automatically Power ON when the TV is powered ON - leaving me with no TV sound via Optical (the TV does not support ARC - is a 2013 HDMI 1.4 TV).

I have attached a diagram explaining the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG TV no Power ON of AVR X1500H via HDMI CEC.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2613370  
post #4866 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
I also have this weird problem with the AVR-X1500H not turning ON when the LG TV turns ON.
1. The TV can Power OFF the AVR automatically.
2. If I turn ON the AVR manually (via AVR IR remote or other means) I can control the AVR just fine with the TV remote.
3. The AVR is switched ON automatically when a CEC enabled media player starts...
4. When the AVR is OFF the TV does not list the AVR as a controllable device via CEC - but the TV lists and can control the CEC enabled media player that is connected to the AVR!
5. No amount of soft resets and unplugged cables makes a difference - the AVR stubbornly refuses to automatically Power ON when the TV is powered ON - leaving me with no TV sound via Optical (the TV does not support ARC - is a 2013 HDMI 1.4 TV).

I have attached a diagram explaining the situation.
Unfortunately my troubleshooting step you quoted doesn't always work and in fact as listed in every Owner's manual, the HDMI Control feature does not always work depending on the devices connected. In most cases, the AVR can be powered off, but doesn't always power on. In this instance, using a universal remote (eg. Harmony) may be a better option.
post #4867 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozut View Post
My 6500 turns itself on sometimes. I have hdmi CEC off. No other components turn on, and nothing seems to be bumping the remote. Anyone else having this issue?
Do you have any bluetooth devices paired with the 6500? I’ve had this happen when I paired an Amazon Echo via bluetooth. The AVR would turn on anytime the Echo got a power blip because it tried to connect.
post #4868 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Unfortunately my troubleshooting step you quoted doesn't always work and in fact as listed in every Owner's manual, the HDMI Control feature does not always work depending on the devices connected. In most cases, the AVR can be powered off, but doesn't always power on. In this instance, using a universal remote (eg. Harmony) may be a better option.
Further researching the matter I found that the ARC existence or its status (On/Off) at the TV level is an important factor - without ARC it seems that the receiver does not sense that the TV is ON and the receiver remains invisible to the TV (the receiver in Stand-By is not listed as an audio device) - but the receiver does pass-through the CEC commands (HDMI pass-through set to ON) and the media player is listed as a source/controllable device to the TV.

Also, the ARC is involved in the inability of the TV to turn OFF all of the HDMI devices that are connected when a Power OFF signal is sent by a source device - not the TV (for example, using Optical between the TV and the receiver prevents a shutdown of the TV when a source is turned OFF, but switching from Optical to ARC the TV does respond (and turns OFF) when a source is turned OFF).

So, my problem is more on the TV side that the receiver side...
post #4869 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Question

I am wondering if there is a solution for this problem:

Playback of a source connected with coaxial SPDIF ("CD").
Now if I switch on the TV, the TV recognizes the receiver on the HDMI-ARC-connection and switches its TV-audio from internal speakers to "audio system" playback. So far, so good.

But: in the receiver the playback of the "CD"-source goes silent. The receiver does not switch to TVaudio (ARC), either. Switching sources on the receiver does not help. The CD playback does not come back.
I have to switch the AVR off and back on and then the receiver continues with playback from the dig. coax. from "CD" source.

A settings problem or a bug?

TV: Sony S85C

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.

Last edited by Skinfax1; 09-10-2019 at 07:24 AM.
post #4870 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 AM
pm_

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an x4500h hooked up to an LG B8. I’m pretty sure, a week or so ago, I had the 4K Format set to Enhanced for 12 bit color, and it was working fine. I updated the firmware sometime in the last week, and a few days ago, I stopped getting video on the B8, although audio would still play through the AVR.

I’ve tried resetting to factory defaults, but no luck. Yesterday, I was able to get Enhanced working by running a separate cable directly to the TV (my main cable is in wall). And I get video if enhanced is off.

Is there a way to rollback the firmware to the previous version? I’d like to rollback on both the B8 and the x4500h, and see if that fixes the issue, as the cable is in wall and not easily replaced. I’m thinking there were changes to either the B8 or the x4500h in how they are handling the HDMI signal.

Thanks!
post #4871 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveura View Post
Do you have any bluetooth devices paired with the 6500? I’ve had this happen when I paired an Amazon Echo via bluetooth. The AVR would turn on anytime the Echo got a power blip because it tried to connect.
Interesting. I don't have any bluetooth devices paired, but I might have some network connections. I have the app running for instance. This gives me something to look into, thanks! Anything to exorcise the ghost that's turning on my receiver

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
post #4872 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
I have used IMAX enhanced on the x4500 using the South Pacific bluray. The input will display “IMAX” when you’re inputting imax enhanced content (similar to how it shows ATMOS when playing atmos content).

Your screen shot suggests you’re not playing imax enhanced content (or that you need to update firmware etc).

Also. It sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was able to get it working - crazy enough the setting stopping it from being flagged properly for IMAX Enhanced was having my system sounds on
Sound was pretty great from the movie I watched (Life) - will have to watch Beautiful Planet again with the audio working
Brian Lynch likes this.

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / Klipsch RP260F - RP-504C - R-112SW - R-41-SA (Atmos) Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (Surrounds + Atmos)
Bedroom - 65VT30
post #4873 of 5317 Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_ View Post
I have an x4500h hooked up to an LG B8. I’m pretty sure, a week or so ago, I had the 4K Format set to Enhanced for 12 bit color, and it was working fine. I updated the firmware sometime in the last week, and a few days ago, I stopped getting video on the B8, although audio would still play through the AVR.

I’ve tried resetting to factory defaults, but no luck. Yesterday, I was able to get Enhanced working by running a separate cable directly to the TV (my main cable is in wall). And I get video if enhanced is off.

Is there a way to rollback the firmware to the previous version? I’d like to rollback on both the B8 and the x4500h, and see if that fixes the issue, as the cable is in wall and not easily replaced. I’m thinking there were changes to either the B8 or the x4500h in how they are handling the HDMI signal.

Thanks!
Yes, if you can get a hold of an earlier firmware update.
post #4874 of 5317 Old 09-11-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Great question which inspired me to do some research on this. I pulled the IR codes for my receiver from Denon's page (which happens to be the same as yours - S740H) and converted them to Pronto Hex using the Denon Pronto Hex Generator tool. I've only done the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume ones - see below.

I then sent them over to Harmony Tech Support. Fingers crossed that they add it to my account.
FYI, It took nearly 2 weeks, but Logitech finally added these discrete IR codes to my Harmony account. I added them to the remote through MyHarmony app on the PC. It's working.

BTW, I believe these codes should work for most of the recent Denon AVR models, but I'm not 100% certain.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #4875 of 5317 Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
... the receiver does pass-through the CEC commands (HDMI pass-through set to ON)
Note that the CEC bus is unrelated to HDMI pass-through. CEC is directly wired from port to port and can only be blocked by removing pin 13 (or unplugging the HDMI cable). I.e. removing mains power, fiddling settings etc. doesn't effect it.
dfa973 likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #4876 of 5317 Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having issues with random audio & video signal dropouts with my Denon X3500 when using a external playback devices (Cisco 8652HDC Cable STB, Sony PS3) and passing the signal through the AVR back out to my LG C9 via Metra Install Bay active cables (IB-HDAOC-050). I had previously thought this was just an issue between the Cable STB and the AVR, but after further testing in streaming content through my PS3 into the AVR, I've experienced the same issues.

The signal dropouts occur for several seconds (screen goes blank and no sound) and then the signal resumes with video and audio back to normal. This happens randomly, several times an hour on average, sometimes more frequently, sometimes less.

I am not getting these dropouts when streaming from one of the installed apps in my TV and using eArc to send audio back to the AVR or when bypassing the AVR and connecting the playback devices via HDMI directly to the TV.

I've tried changing just about every setting in the AVR and TV, changed the HDMI input slot on the AVR, changed cables running from the STB to the AVR, turned off, unplugged and reset all devices, etc., etc., etc. but nothing has seemed to fix the issue.

Contacted Denon Support and they suggested putting either a powered HDMI splitter or EDID fixer between the source playback device and the AVR. I have a Gofanco PRO-HDRsplit2P arriving on Sat so I guess we'll see if that fixes the issue.

Any other thoughts/suggestions on what the issue might be? Really disappointing and frustrating that an additional device is needed to potentially fix these handshake issues when I expected a receiver of this caliber to be able to successfully perform this function.

LG C9 65", Denon X3600H, Artison Masterpiece LCR's, Artison Mezzanine's, Paradigm DSP-3400

Last edited by talen7220; 09-13-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #4877 of 5317 Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have X4500H and Vizio P65-C1 and DirecTV C61K 4K Genie Mini Client. I have lots more stuff too but my problem is with the DTV box.

When I turn on using Harmony I sometimes get picture for a quick split second or not at all and then the TV says there is no picture coming from the receiver. If I then switch to another input like my Apple TV 4k and then switch back to the DTV input all is good. I have all CEC and ARC stuff turned off in the hopes of avoiding issues like this.

How do I make the C61K to X4500 to Vizio work every time I click on Watch TV?
post #4878 of 5317 Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaay View Post
I have X4500H and Vizio P65-C1 and DirecTV C61K 4K Genie Mini Client. I have lots more stuff too but my problem is with the DTV box.

When I turn on using Harmony I sometimes get picture for a quick split second or not at all and then the TV says there is no picture coming from the receiver. If I then switch to another input like my Apple TV 4k and then switch back to the DTV input all is good. I have all CEC and ARC stuff turned off in the hopes of avoiding issues like this.

How do I make the C61K to X4500 to Vizio work every time I click on Watch TV?
Add about a 5 second delay to the Harmony between powering on each source.
post #4879 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Angry Screen blanking when switching to/from HDR

Hi all,

I've spent the requisite several hours trying to deal with this problem and I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion. Looks like others are having similar issues ITT...

The setup:
1) Newly acquired Denon X4500H w/ latest firmware (just updated an hour ago)
2) Epson 5050Ub
3) Roku Ultra
4) Monoprice 18Gbps 1' Cable (Roku -> AVR)
5) Monoprice 18Gbps 25' Cable (AVR -> PJ)

The problem:
When switching from SDR to HDR and back, be it in Youtube, Vudu, Netflix, whatever, there's a 5-10 second blank screen. Same as if I was switching sources. The video quality after it switches is fine, there are no dropouts, no snow, nothing to indicate a bandwidth issue. This also happens every single time I enter or exit the Denon setup menu when video conversion is switched off. This is SUPER annoying as not only does it make adjusting settings without interrupting movies impossible, but it also happens anytime I fast forward or rewind an HDR movie. E.g. in Vudu if I want to skip ahead a few minutes the little timeline pops up, I scroll to the scene I want, and when I select it the screen blanks for 5-10s. Every time. Same with Youtube, there's a ~10s blank screen when entering or exiting an HDR video, or jogging back/forth in same. Ultra annoying.

If I connect the projector directly to the Roku (with Cable 2 above) this doesn't happen at all; no blank screen. The resolution drops briefly while it buffers and loads the scene, and it switches seamlessly from SDR to HDR and back without any blanking or interruption. So I think the Epson can handle this just fine. This blanking also happens if I turn the AVR off and have HDMI passthrough enabled on the Roku.

What I've tried:
1) Switching cables
2) Changing Roku output between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2; no dice.
3) Changing Roku output between 4k60 HDR, 4k30 HDR; no dice.
4) Turning video on and off.
5) Turning i/p scaler on and off, and forcing 4k resolution or 4k (60/50) resolution.
6) Plugging Roku into different HDMI ports per the Denon suggestion to get closer to the HDMI output.
7) Tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs
8) Changing 4k signal format between Enhanced and Standard
9) Unplugging all HDMI ports, powering off all devices, replugging, then powering on PJ -> AVR -> Roku. No dice.
10) Forcing the Epson to SDR mode
11) Turning off all HDMI control features on both AVR and PJ
12) Changing PJ EDID mode to Normal

Nothing works! This didn't happen on my old Denon E-400 I got near several years ago, although I had to use an HDMI splitter/EDID emulator to allow HDCP 2.2 content playback. 4K HDR @ 60 fps worked fine with all the same cables and equipment (aside from AVR). While finicky to setup it worked just fine and didn't have the above problem. I've read a few posts where people solved various blanking issues by using a splitter like the one I linked (I returned it) but come on! This is a $1600 receiver, it's really going to be one-upped by a $50 HDMI splitter? I was really hoping to simplify my setup and avoid workaround like the above.

I'm thinking of trying a different HDMI cable; maybe the Roku can drive that long cable just fine while the Denon has some issues doing so and would benefit from an active or fiber optic cable. But I'd rather not just drop $100 on a cable unless there's some evidence this would work. I could also try another splitter or something like an HDFury but again, I'd like to see if anyone has fixed this problem without dropping more $$$.

If anyone has experienced this or knows a solid workaround I'd love to know! I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that an AVR of what I consider to be a fairly high caliber has this problem, but I'm willing to try and find a solution. If I have to return this and try another AVR, so be it.
talen7220 likes this.
post #4880 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talen7220 View Post
Update: Reached out to Denon support yesterday and they emailed me back confirming that the issue is likely a handshake issue between the STB and the AVR. They suggested trying an EDID emulator between the STB and the AVR. Any suggestions on a decent EDID emulator? Thanks!
As mentioned in my post above, I used an EDID emulator with an older AVR and it worked ok. I can't post links yet but it's the GoFancy Prophecy Intelligent 4k blah blah blah on Amazon. Worked well for what I needed.
talen7220 likes this.
post #4881 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Feingold View Post
Ensure the cables are "Premium" certified or otherwise active fiber optic.
galonzo likes this.
post #4882 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Ensure the cables are "Premium" certified or otherwise active fiber optic.
They're copper cables, but they are premium certified according to Monoprice.
post #4883 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Hi all,

I've spent the requisite several hours trying to deal with this problem and I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion. Looks like others are having similar issues ITT...

The setup:

1) Newly acquired Denon X4500H w/ latest firmware (just updated an hour ago)

2) Epson 5050Ub

3) Roku Ultra

The problem:

When switching from SDR to HDR and back, be it in Youtube, Vudu, Netflix, whatever, there's a 5-10 second blank screen. Same as if I was switching sources. The video quality after it switches is fine, there are no dropouts, no snow, nothing to indicate a bandwidth issue. This also happens every single time I enter or exit the Denon setup menu when video conversion is switched off. This is SUPER annoying as not only does it make adjusting settings without interrupting movies impossible, but it also happens anytime I fast forward or rewind an HDR movie. E.g. in Vudu if I want to skip ahead a few minutes the little timeline pops up, I scroll to the scene I want, and when I select it the screen blanks for 5-10s. Every time. Same with Youtube, there's a ~10s blank screen when entering or exiting an HDR video, or jogging back/forth in same. Ultra annoying.

If I connect the projector directly to the Roku (with Cable 2 above) this doesn't happen at all; no blank screen. The resolution drops briefly while it buffers and loads the scene, and it switches seamlessly from SDR to HDR and back without any blanking or interruption. So I think the Epson can handle this just fine. This blanking also happens if I turn the AVR off and have HDMI passthrough enabled on the Roku.

What I've tried:

1) Switching cables

2) Changing Roku output between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2; no dice.

3) Changing Roku output between 4k60 HDR, 4k30 HDR; no dice.

4) Turning video on and off.

5) Turning i/p scaler on and off, and forcing 4k resolution or 4k (60/50) resolution.

6) Plugging Roku into different HDMI ports per the Denon suggestion to get closer to the HDMI output.

7) Tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs

8) Changing 4k signal format between Enhanced and Standard

9) Unplugging all HDMI ports, powering off all devices, replugging, then powering on PJ -> AVR -> Roku. No dice.

10) Forcing the Epson to SDR mode

11) Turning off all HDMI control features on both AVR and PJ

12) Changing PJ EDID mode to Normal

Nothing works! This didn't happen on my old Denon E-400 I got near several years ago, although I had to use an HDMI splitter/EDID emulator to allow HDCP 2.2 content playback. 4K HDR @ 60 fps worked fine with all the same cables and equipment (aside from AVR). While finicky to setup it worked just fine and didn't have the above problem. I've read a few posts where people solved various blanking issues by using a splitter like the one I linked (I returned it) but come on! This is a $1600 receiver, it's really going to be one-upped by a $50 HDMI splitter? I was really hoping to simplify my setup and avoid workaround like the above.

I'm thinking of trying a different HDMI cable; maybe the Roku can drive that long cable just fine while the Denon has some issues doing so and would benefit from an active or fiber optic cable. But I'd rather not just drop $100 on a cable unless there's some evidence this would work. I could also try another splitter or something like an HDFury but again, I'd like to see if anyone has fixed this problem without dropping more $$$.

If anyone has experienced this or knows a solid workaround I'd love to know! I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that an AVR of what I consider to be a fairly high caliber has this problem, but I'm willing to try and find a solution. If I have to return this and try another AVR, so be it.
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 5050ub and the X3500. It's 100% something with these receivers. When I take the receiver out of the loop, I get no blank screen for 10 seconds when watching HDR content. I had a long HDMI run like you, so I bought an expensive optical HDMI cable. Same results, and I even bought a Monoprice Certified Premium Cable, with no luck. I even went as far as to disconnect my receiver, and move it right next to the 5050, and used a 3' Certified Premium Cable, and I still got the blank screen for 10 seconds. When I run my Shield TV directly to the 5050, there's 0 blank screen. I had the exact same setup with an older Denon S710W, and did not have the issue. It has to be something in these newer receivers that's causing the issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sergey Feingold likes this.
post #4884 of 5317 Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 5050ub and the X3500. It's 100% something with these receivers. When I take the receiver out of the loop, I get no blank screen for 10 seconds when watching HDR content. I had a long HDMI run like you, so I bought an expensive optical HDMI cable. Same results, and I even bought a Monoprice Certified Premium Cable, with no luck. I even went as far as to disconnect my receiver, and move it right next to the 5050, and used a 3' Certified Premium Cable, and I still got the blank screen for 10 seconds. When I run my Shield TV directly to the 5050, there's 0 blank screen. I had the exact same setup with an older Denon S710W, and did not have the issue. It has to be something in these newer receivers that's causing the issue.

Yeah, pretty frustrating. Come on Denon...

I went ahead and ordered both an HDMI repeater and an EDID emulator. I should get them tomorrow so I'll try out plugging them between the source <-> AVR and also between AVR <-> Projector. Hopefully one of them fixes the problem. It's again pretty ridiculous that a $50 HDMI splitter could handle this seamlessly and the Denon can't, but hopefully this will work. If not I may just have to get an HDMI splitter and connect all the sources to the projector through that, and run an HDMI for audio to the Denon like I did before. That, of course, means no on-screen menus anymore.

I still have ~25 days to return the Denon and if I can't sort this out by then I guess it's time to see what the competitors have got to offer.
talen7220 likes this.
post #4885 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I went ahead and ordered both an HDMI repeater and an EDID emulator. I should get them tomorrow so I'll try out plugging them between the source <-> AVR and also between AVR <-> Projector. Hopefully one of them fixes the problem. It's again pretty ridiculous that a $50 HDMI splitter could handle this seamlessly and the Denon can't, but hopefully this will work. If not I may just have to get an HDMI splitter and connect all the sources to the projector through that, and run an HDMI for audio to the Denon like I did before. That, of course, means no on-screen menus anymore.

I still have ~25 days to return the Denon and if I can't sort this out by then I guess it's time to see what the competitors have got to offer.
Please keep us updated on your findings. It's driving me crazy.

post #4886 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I'm not having the exact same problem, but similar in that I'm having signal dropout issues with my AVR using various playback source devices (cable STB, PS3). Denon's response to me was to try using an EDID emulator. VERY disappointing and frustrating indeed that after dropping the $$$ on this receiver, that it can't successfully negotiate these device connections without the use of an external device and it's not like I'm using uncommon devices in my setup. We'll see if the EDID device I have coming will fix the issue or not. If I was still within my return window, I'd be sending this AVR back and trying a different manufacturer's model.

LG C9 65", Denon X3600H, Artison Masterpiece LCR's, Artison Mezzanine's, Paradigm DSP-3400
post #4887 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talen7220 View Post
I'm not having the exact same problem, but similar in that I'm having signal dropout issues with my AVR using various playback source devices (cable STB, PS3). Denon's response to me was to try using an EDID emulator. VERY disappointing and frustrating indeed that after dropping the $$$ on this receiver, that it can't successfully negotiate these device connections without the use of an external device and it's not like I'm using uncommon devices in my setup. We'll see if the EDID device I have coming will fix the issue or not. If I was still within my return window, I'd be sending this AVR back and trying a different manufacturer's model.
What does an EDID Emulator do?

post #4888 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I have a 3500H and used it for few months. For some reason, sometimes Audyssey is not enabled when I switched the unit on to play my sources. I had to manually go into Audio->Audyssey to enable it. Does anyone know why? Is it a memory leak or battery retention problem? My unit is switched off (from the power point) when not in use. I don't use stand by mode.
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #4889 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by haman View Post
Hi, I have a 3500H and used it for few months. For some reason, sometimes Audyssey is not enabled when I switched the unit on to play my sources. I had to manually go into Audio->Audyssey to enable it. Does anyone know why? Is it a memory leak or battery retention problem? My unit is switched off (from the power point) when not in use. I don't use stand by mode.
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Do you use Quick Settings? I setup my Quick Settings prior to running Audyssey and it took me awhile to figure out why it kept getting disabled. Anytime you change a setting, you need to save Quick Settings again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #4890 of 5317 Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Quick question: does Audyssey roll off sub frequencies below 20Hz or leave them untouched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page