"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2775Likes

post #1831 of 5676 Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There's no reason to necessarily follow the mic positions listed in the manual, rather you simply start with the 1st position where the main listening position (MLP) head is located and then do the remaining 7 mic positions within 1-2' radius around that first position, some finding that keeping it even tighter to < 1' to work best. The focus is on the MLP only and the more data points that Audyssey can use should result in a better calibration.
Good points. I'm going to do mine again as I moved the mic around to the different seating locations. I'm finding my bass isn't hitting the MLP like it use to on my old setup and is more to the side of the lounge. Maybe this is why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 5676 Old 01-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
There's no reason to necessarily follow the mic positions listed in the manual, rather you simply start with the 1st position where the main listening position (MLP) head is located and then do the remaining 7 mic positions within 1-2' radius around that first position, some finding that keeping it even tighter to < 1' to work best. The focus is on the MLP only and the more data points that Audyssey can use should result in a better calibration.
I performed two separate calibrations: one with 6 points along and in front of the MLP, and one with 3 points in line with the MLP. I found the 6-point cal sounded more boomy and dialog less distinct. So I settled for the 3-point calibration.
post #1833 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

sorry if this topic was already discussed - went through the last posts and couldn't find it. I am considering between 6500H and 4500H. Is there a point to choose more expensive 6500H if I am planning 5.1.4 Atmos setup? Probably it will be Klipsch Reference Premiere 5.1.4 setup. Theoretically 4500H should be enough as it supports 7.1.2 channels, both of them have the same DAC and the only difference I could find is that 6500H is more powerful. Or maybe I miss something else?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovydas Vilkelis View Post
Hey guys,

sorry if this topic was already discussed - went through the last posts and couldn't find it. I am considering between 6500H and 4500H. Is there a point to choose more expensive 6500H if I am planning 5.1.4 Atmos setup? Probably it will be Klipsch Reference Premiere 5.1.4 setup. Theoretically 4500H should be enough as it supports 7.1.2 channels, both of them have the same DAC and the only difference I could find is that 6500H is more powerful. Or maybe I miss something else?

Thanks
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include the additional features added when upgrading to the X6500H as noted in post 1.
post #1835 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovydas Vilkelis View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks
2 more amplifiers......4500 processes 11 ch. 6500 powers 11. I'm sure there's more . I think I'm the OP there's a list of differences between the models

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #1836 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I bought X2500H which arrived yesterday to replace my 20 years old Sony SRT-DB725, so I went thru whole setup procedure. But I have few issues:

Audio volume differs a lot for different input source. If I set audio to lets say 50 while I'm listening Tuner and then change source to DVD (connected with HDMI), or Mini Disk (connected as CD input via TosLink), then audio volume seems to remain the same. But if then I change input to TV or my Raspberry Pi which runs Kodi (connected as MediaPlayer with HDMI) in that case audio volume seems to be much lower (although it is still set to 50), so in that case I need to rise volume to at least 60 to maintain same audio volume.
I have try to disconnect HDMI cable from DVD and Raspberry and switch them so that now Raspberry is connected as DVD on receiver and DVD is connected as Media Player, but again volume from DVD would be much higher then from Kodi. So problem is not in HDMI cables nor within input connectors. So, any idea why different source produce different audio volume? All those sources are connected digitally with HDMI or TosLink cable (with exception of built in Tuner). On my old analog receiver volume would stay the same regardless of which input I select (although all inputs were analog).

Before my Kodi was connected directly to TV with HDMI (since I didn't have HDMI input on my old receiver) and back then I could have use remote of my TV to to navigate thru Kodi (so CEC did work fine). Now when Kodi (Raspberry Pi) is connected to AVR and AVR to TV via ARC connector on TV, I can not any longer use my TV remote to navigate thru Kodi. Is this a bug or is it expected that AVR does not pass-thru CEC signal from TV to Paspberry connected to Media Player input? I can still adjust audio volume on AVR with my TV remote so CEC signal is obviously going from TV to AVR.

3. My Google Home App does not want to add HEOS app to device connected. I did everything as explained on Denon official page in order to connect my HEOS account to Google Home, but after I authorize HEOS it is simply not added anywhere on my Google Home app. I suspect that this is probably Google Home app bug but I wonder if anyone else had similar issue?
post #1837 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebolc View Post
Hi,
I bought X2500H which arrived yesterday to replace my 20 years old Sony SRT-DB725, so I went thru whole setup procedure. But I have few issues:

Audio volume differs a lot for different input source. If I set audio to lets say 50 while I'm listening Tuner and then change source to DVD (connected with HDMI), or Mini Disk (connected as CD input via TosLink), then audio volume seems to remain the same. But if then I change input to TV or my Raspberry Pi which runs Kodi (connected as MediaPlayer with HDMI) in that case audio volume seems to be much lower (although it is still set to 50), so in that case I need to rise volume to at least 60 to maintain same audio volume.
I have try to disconnect HDMI cable from DVD and Raspberry and switch them so that now Raspberry is connected as DVD on receiver and DVD is connected as Media Player, but again volume from DVD would be much higher then from Kodi. So problem is not in HDMI cables nor within input connectors. So, any idea why different source produce different audio volume? All those sources are connected digitally with HDMI or TosLink cable (with exception of built in Tuner). On my old analog receiver volume would stay the same regardless of which input I select (although all inputs were analog).

Before my Kodi was connected directly to TV with HDMI (since I didn't have HDMI input on my old receiver) and back then I could have use remote of my TV to to navigate thru Kodi (so CEC did work fine). Now when Kodi (Raspberry Pi) is connected to AVR and AVR to TV via ARC connector on TV, I can not any longer use my TV remote to navigate thru Kodi. Is this a bug or is it expected that AVR does not pass-thru CEC signal from TV to Paspberry connected to Media Player input? I can still adjust audio volume on AVR with my TV remote so CEC signal is obviously going from TV to AVR.

3. My Google Home App does not want to add HEOS app to device connected. I did everything as explained on Denon official page in order to connect my HEOS account to Google Home, but after I authorize HEOS it is simply not added anywhere on my Google Home app. I suspect that this is probably Google Home app bug but I wonder if anyone else had similar issue?
1. Different sources have different volume levels. If it's important to you that they all have the same volume level at a specific AVR master volume level, you can use the <Source Level> (p. 173 Owner's manual) setting to adjust the source volume +/-12dB.
2. HDMI-CEC works ell with some devices and not so well with others. A Harmony universal remote is a good alternative option.
3. No experience with Google Home.
post #1838 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
1. There's a source level volume that you can easily change. SETUP button, INPUTS, SOURCE LEVEL. you can adjust the source level up or down for the Pi input to your liking. It doesn't affect any other inputs.

2. don't know anything about Raspberry Pi
3. don't know anything about Google Home

Afro GT
post #1839 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
But, seriously, what is the point of doing the 3 points in front of the listening position at all? After all, no one is really sitting there. Is it to give you a more accurate calibration?
Some of the wavelengths involved are considerably less than foot long, so just a few inches difference in position can cause different reflections and thus different frequency responses. So yes, letting the software average multiple data sets all within two feet of the main listening position is exactly to improve accuracy.
jhumur likes this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #1840 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow! Didn't know what I was missing.

After receiving my 1st 6500 with a malfunctioning front panel the 2nd one works just fine. I just added 4 height speakers for a 7.1.4 setup and I can't believe how much more immersive watching movies is now. Mission Impossible and Venom in Atmos, both with helicopter scenes, fly right above you! If at all possible I highly recommend top speakers. I'm very happy with this receiver but as I mentioned before it gets hot, even more so with all 11 channels driven. I have ample clearance around the receiver and still haven't heard the fans kick on yet so I'll keep pushing it hard. My 4520 was purchased as a refurb from A4L and it did die after 5 years but I'm glad I bought the 6500 from an authorized reseller knowing I have the 3 year warranty.

I run with B&W speakers, the old 600 series from the 90's with 640i's as the mains and (4) 610i's as the sides and rears, an LCR6 S2 as the center and an ASW-1000 for the sub. The heights I just bought are cheap Yamaha NS-IW560C and they sound fine. My buddy just built his home theater and went all Klipsch with the Denon 4500. I would argue my old B&W's sound better but his bass using 2 Klipsch reference 115SW's just blows me away. So I want a second sub now :-)

Jerry
post #1841 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebolc View Post
Hi,

Pretty sure Kodi has controls to raise the volume. Prob not a receiver issue but a Kodi one

post #1842 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there MultEQ or basic EQ on zone 2/3 on X4500?

Hi,

On the AVR-X4500 is there a way to have any sort of tone control (or Audyssey MultEQ) on zones 2/3?

On my old AVR-889 zone 2 had no tone control at all, so ceiling speakers in my kitchen couldn't be tamed rendering this zone basically unuseable (bad room acoustics). I'm hoping there's at least some basic tone controls for zones 2&3 on the X4500 (which I just ordered.) If not, I guess I'll have to resort to slapping on a 2-ch parametric eq & amp on the pre-outs.

Thanks,
Danzero

Theater: Sony X900E 65" | Denon AVR-X4500H 5.2.4 + zone2 | KEF | Polk 8.5" in-ceiling (x8) | Polk & Yamaha subs
Kids: Panasonic 50" plasma | Denon AVR-890 | HD-DVD(!) | Klipsch | Xbox One X | miniDSP 2x4
Studio: Native Instruments | Soundcraft | Ableton | Roland TD-20 vdrums | Gretsch | Fender | Shure | AKG
Vintage: Yamaha CA-610 II | Mission 760i | Technics SL1200 mkII | Akai, Nakamichi, Technics, JVC gear
post #1843 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzero View Post
Hi,

On the AVR-X4500 is there a way to have any sort of tone control (or Audyssey MultEQ) on zones 2/3?

On my old AVR-889 zone 2 had no tone control at all, so ceiling speakers in my kitchen couldn't be tamed rendering this zone basically unuseable (bad room acoustics). I'm hoping there's at least some basic tone controls for zones 2&3 on the X4500 (which I just ordered.) If not, I guess I'll have to resort to slapping on a 2-ch parametric eq & amp on the pre-outs.

Thanks,
Danzero
No Audyssey, but as noted in post 1, bass/treble controls begins with the X3500H and also listed in the X4500H Owner's manual, p. 253.
danzero likes this.
post #1844 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
No Audyssey, but as noted in post 1, bass/treble controls begins with the X3500H and also listed in the X4500H Owner's manual, p. 253.
Thanks jdsmoothie! I searched far and wide but somehow missed that info.

I really appreciate all your very helpful posts on this thread

Theater: Sony X900E 65" | Denon AVR-X4500H 5.2.4 + zone2 | KEF | Polk 8.5" in-ceiling (x8) | Polk & Yamaha subs
Kids: Panasonic 50" plasma | Denon AVR-890 | HD-DVD(!) | Klipsch | Xbox One X | miniDSP 2x4
Studio: Native Instruments | Soundcraft | Ableton | Roland TD-20 vdrums | Gretsch | Fender | Shure | AKG
Vintage: Yamaha CA-610 II | Mission 760i | Technics SL1200 mkII | Akai, Nakamichi, Technics, JVC gear
post #1845 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM
_CL

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Incollingo View Post
I run with B&W speakers, the old 600 series from the 90's with 640i's as the mains and (4) 610i's as the sides and rears, an LCR6 S2 as the center and an ASW-1000 for the sub. The heights I just bought are cheap Yamaha NS-IW560C and they sound fine. My buddy just built his home theater and went all Klipsch with the Denon 4500. I would argue my old B&W's sound better but his bass using 2 Klipsch reference 115SW's just blows me away. So I want a second sub now :-)

Jerry
Old school, just like me. I bought my B&Ws piece meal in late 90s/early 2000s as I moved from music only to HT. I have B&W 601 S2s, the CC6 S2 center channel, the ASW-1000 sub and LM1 rears.

I just bought the 3500 to replace my 10 yr old Pioneer Elite 5.1 AVR.
post #1846 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 PM
_CL

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Incollingo View Post
After receiving my 1st 6500 with a malfunctioning front panel the 2nd one works just fine. I just added 4 height speakers for a 7.1.4 setup and I can't believe how much more immersive watching movies is now. Mission Impossible and Venom in Atmos, both with helicopter scenes, fly right above you! If at all possible I highly recommend top speakers. I'm very happy with this receiver but as I mentioned before it gets hot, even more so with all 11 channels driven. I have ample clearance around the receiver and still haven't heard the fans kick on yet so I'll keep pushing it hard. My 4520 was purchased as a refurb from A4L and it did die after 5 years but I'm glad I bought the 6500 from an authorized reseller knowing I have the 3 year warranty.

Jerry

I see that you are from Limerick. Back in 1967/68, when I was in first grade, I lived with my grandparents in Linfield. My grandfather was head of the bottling line for Continental/Publicker. We lived in an 18th century house at the back of the facility. The school bus would drop me off at the guard house and my grandmother would drive up to pick me up.
post #1847 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Has there been any additional guidance from Denon on when the IMAX firmware update will be available for the x6500/x4500 AVR’s?

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #1848 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked: 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Has there been any additional guidance from Denon on when the IMAX firmware update will be available for the x6500/x4500 AVR’s?
Don't get too excited. You probably don't want to have it: see here: https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/i...-format-debut/
Quote:
Long story short: IMAX mode secretly overrides some of your receiver’s global settings and applies processing to manipulate the audio signal beyond what DTS:X does. Mulling this over, the conclusion I’m coming to is that the IMAX Enhanced mode in the AVR is essentially a DSP feature designed to give the sound more “oomph.”

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #1849 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Don't get too excited. You probably don't want to have it: see here: https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/i...-format-debut/
An additional DSP fine but overwrites to defaults .... no.

Can we assume that the video side of IMAX is a pass through to an IMAX enabled display or is there something needed in firmware on the Denon?

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 01-08-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #1850 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
4k receiver to 1080p Tv

Just scored denon X4500h but dont see in manual that i could use 1080p tv. It only says 4k. I still have the samsung 60"dlp. Could i still use it with the 4k receiver.
post #1851 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Folks, please forgive me if I'm posting stuff here that belongs elsewhere--or doesn't belong anywhere in a sane world--but since I've already posted a few questions here regarding my X3500H please allow me to ask another. As I have mentioned in an earlier posts, I did a bunch of calibration runs over the last few days and settled on a 3-point calibration for my HT system. Last night, I was perusing through the setup menu and noticed that Audyssey "set" the crossover frequencies for the fronts (Polk Monitor 60 II) and center (Polk CS20) to 40 Hz for both. That kinda surprised me. Seemed low to me, honestly. I read thought the "Crossover Frequency" section of the Audyssey thread and it seems like there is some precedence for setting the crossovers to 80 Hz manually. I was just wondering if any of you might have some advice. (In the interest of full disclosure, I did post a request in the "Speaker" thread as well asking for specific recommendations for crossovers. I hope this doesn't constitute double-posting.) Thank you for your help though.
post #1852 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You will have no problems, I am using a denon 4400h hooked up to a 2013 1080p plasma and it works and acts exactly like my previous receiver, a denon 4520.
post #1853 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Folks, please forgive me if I'm posting stuff here that belongs elsewhere--or doesn't belong anywhere in a sane world--but since I've already posted a few questions here regarding my X3500H please allow me to ask another. As I have mentioned in an earlier posts, I did a bunch of calibration runs over the last few days and settled on a 3-point calibration for my HT system. Last night, I was perusing through the setup menu and noticed that Audyssey "set" the crossover frequencies for the fronts (Polk Monitor 60 II) and center (Polk CS20) to 40 Hz for both. That kinda surprised me. Seemed low to me, honestly. I read thought the "Crossover Frequency" section of the Audyssey thread and it seems like there is some precedence for setting the crossovers to 80 Hz manually. I was just wondering if any of you might have some advice. (In the interest of full disclosure, I did post a request in the "Speaker" thread as well asking for specific recommendations for crossovers. I hope this doesn't constitute double-posting.) Thank you for your help though.
My center is rated to play down to 58 hz. Audessey sets it at 40..... What happens? Does the speaker try to play down to 40?

jhumur likes this.
post #1854 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
My center is rated to play down to 58 hz. Audessey sets it at 40..... What happens? Does the speaker try to play down to 40?

Since your center won't play below 58 hz, you'll miss everything between 40-58 hz on that channel.

For both of you, suggest you manually set crossover at 80 hz and be done with it, assuming all of your speakers in your configuration reach that.
jhumur likes this.
post #1855 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYNIL View Post
Since your center won't play below 58 hz, you'll miss everything between 40-58 hz on that channel.

For both of you, suggest you manually set crossover at 80 hz and be done with it, assuming all of your speakers in your configuration reach that.
Well right now I'm running 5.0 , no sub. I have my surrounds at 80, center at 60 and towers set to large

jhumur likes this.
post #1856 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Well right now I'm running 5.0 , no sub. I have my surrounds at 80, center at 60 and towers set to large

Sorry, didn't realize you didn't have a sub. W/o sub, those settings seem appropriate.
jhumur likes this.
post #1857 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYNIL View Post

Thank you AYNIL. I believe there is consensus on 80 Hz now. I'll do just that be "be done with it." Life is too precious to spend it on crossover frequencies.
post #1858 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenn018 View Post
It is a 35 ft run from my projector to my AVR-X4400H. Looking for recommendations on cabling.
RUIPRO fiber optic HDMI is what I use.......
post #1859 of 5676 Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocs19 View Post
You will have no problems, I am using a denon 4400h hooked up to a 2013 1080p plasma and it works and acts exactly like my previous receiver, a denon 4520.
Thanks. Any setting in the avr to set like passthrough or something. Not so familiar with denon...all pio before. And needs more reading on avr manual.
post #1860 of 5676 Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
1. There's a source level volume that you can easily change. SETUP button, INPUTS, SOURCE LEVEL. you can adjust the source level up or down for the Pi input to your liking. It doesn't affect any other inputs.

2. don't know anything about Raspberry Pi
3. don't know anything about Google Home

Thanks you all for answers. However, after FW update and rerunning Audyssey setup and tweaking its option a bit now all my sources keep same volume when I switch between them.

Problem with TV remote to control KODI remains but I have order wireless keyboard for Kody anyway.
Regarding google assistant, I'm pretty sure this is some bug with my Google Home app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 3500 , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , svs pb-1000 , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page