"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2646Likes

post #2491 of 5329 Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
Thank you! Just to be sure though, does anyone with an X8500H have the remote that can check the remote's part label on the bottom of the front of it? the one that came with the X6500H is "RC-1219" .... the one on this image appears to be "RC-1221" ... and sure enough on the listing for the replacement part its 'Description' is "Remote (Rc1221)"
I got the part number from the picture of the remote on Crutchfield.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 5329 Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My father has ancient audio and video equipment. His amp and preamp are decent Rotel units but they aren't modern in the slightest.

I have purchased a new TV, blu-ray player, and A/V receiver for him. None of it is fancy but it'll do. The receiver is a Denon AVR S540BT. A modest unit but he only has a 2.0 system and a small living room.

His speakers are not being replaced. They are B&W 805 Matrix speakers. The issue is they are bi-wired. His preamp is a Rotel RC-972 and his amp is probably a Rotel RB-981. His amp is dying on him.

What are my options for connecting the speakers to the receiver?

I'm fairly certain that the speaker cables have banana plugs on both ends though I will certainly clarify if possible. My father doesn't have a smartphone or I'd have him take a picture as "banana plug" didn't mean anything to him. The receiver has spring clip connections.

Will banana plugs work with the spring clips on the receiver? Can I get some kind of adapter and if so which one?

What's the best/easiest way to hook the speakers to the receiver? Where "best/easiest" is what my father can do or what I can describe to him as he's in CA and I'm in GA.

The receiver is on its way to CA now and will arrive in a week so I have some time to sort this out.
post #2493 of 5329 Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Just tried voice commands via Alexa App on iPad. Clunky, but it works. Playing around, can turn my 3500 on, off, adjust volume by 5-10, played saved TuneIn station. Kinda cool considering I don’t own any other Alexa devices.

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5927
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22568 Post(s)
Liked: 12282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
Hmmm... what about my lowly 3500, I’m sure some of the 8500’s remote buttons would not pertain to my less featured 3500, but the added backlight might still be worth it if it controls everything else on my unit. Couldn’t find much on the Denon site regarding compatibility between remotes and AVR models.
Should still work as well.
Mactavish likes this.
post #2495 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you! Just to be sure though, does anyone with an X8500H have the remote that can check the remote's part label on the bottom of the front of it? the one that came with the X6500H is "RC-1219" .... the one on this image appears to be "RC-1221" ... and sure enough on the listing for the replacement part its 'Description' is "Remote (Rc1221)"
You can check this yourself by simply looking at p. 8 in the Denon X8500H Owner's manual which can be downloaded from the Denon website.
mrtickleuk and tvwatcher12345 like this.
post #2496 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
My father has ancient audio and video equipment. His amp and preamp are decent Rotel units but they aren't modern in the slightest.

I have purchased a new TV, blu-ray player, and A/V receiver for him. None of it is fancy but it'll do. The receiver is a Denon AVR S540BT. A modest unit but he only has a 2.0 system and a small living room.

His speakers are not being replaced. They are B&W 805 Matrix speakers. The issue is they are bi-wired. His preamp is a Rotel RC-972 and his amp is probably a Rotel RB-981. His amp is dying on him.

What are my options for connecting the speakers to the receiver?

I'm fairly certain that the speaker cables have banana plugs on both ends though I will certainly clarify if possible. My father doesn't have a smartphone or I'd have him take a picture as "banana plug" didn't mean anything to him. The receiver has spring clip connections.

Will banana plugs work with the spring clips on the receiver? Can I get some kind of adapter and if so which one?

What's the best/easiest way to hook the speakers to the receiver? Where "best/easiest" is what my father can do or what I can describe to him as he's in CA and I'm in GA.

The receiver is on its way to CA now and will arrive in a week so I have some time to sort this out.
1. "Bi-wiring" provides absolutely no benefit, although you likely mean "bi-amp" which is not a feature of the S540BT. On the speakers, he'll need to connect the top to bottom speaker posts via a jumper plate or using a piece of speaker wire (ie. Top L to Bottom L and Top R to Bottom R). The speaker wire from the S540BT will then simply need to go to one set of speaker posts.
2. Remove the banana plugs at the receiver end and connect the bare wire to the S540BT spring clips.
post #2497 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You can check this yourself by simply looking at p. 8 in the Denon X8500H Owner's manual which can be downloaded from the Denon website.
This could work great since you can input Remote Input codes in:

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/p...odes.pdf#page1

Link in 8500 manual was NG, one above works.

And it’s also a learning remote. My K’d Onkyo 906 remote had these same features, I guess Denon reserves them for the higher end models, hopefully will be the same on my 3500, worth trying.

UPDATE: Just ordered one, they can returned.

Last edited by Mactavish; 02-22-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #2498 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I got the part number from the picture of the remote on Crutchfield.
Quote:
Quote:

And it’s also a learning remote. My K’d Onkyo 906 remote had these same features, I guess Denon reserves them for the higher end models, hopefully will be the same on my 3500, worth trying.

thank you everyone for the help! damn i love this site. i ordered one and i'll report out how it goes. hopefully we'll hear if it works well with the 3500 too. i like the LCD display on it too, mostly i was just sold on the illuminated buttons since i always have trouble trying to use it in the dark, faceplant on the way to the lightswitch, etc
Mactavish, Matt2026 and drh3b like this.
post #2499 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post
xbr-x900f
Nice set

Quote:
thank you everyone for the help! damn i love this site. i ordered one and i'll report out how it goes. hopefully we'll hear if it works well with the 3500 too. i like the LCD display on it too, mostly i was just sold on the illuminated buttons since i always have trouble trying to use it in the dark, faceplant on the way to the lightswitch, etc
What did that run, looks like $60? I needed a replacement Marantz remote, it was $100
post #2500 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Nice set

What did that run, looks like $60? I needed a replacement Marantz remote, it was $100
$50 with shipping.
tvwatcher12345 likes this.
post #2501 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
1. "Bi-wiring" provides absolutely no benefit, although you likely mean "bi-amp" which is not a feature of the S540BT. On the speakers, he'll need to connect the top to bottom speaker posts via a jumper plate or using a piece of speaker wire (ie. Top L to Bottom L and Top R to Bottom R). The speaker wire from the S540BT will then simply need to go to one set of speaker posts.
2. Remove the banana plugs at the receiver end and connect the bare wire to the S540BT spring clips.
I know that bi-wiring is useless. Unfortunately my dad thinks (or at least thought) that it wasn't useless. Though, he probably had no clue and just thought that real audiophiles had fancy expensive cables so he bought them.

Verifying just now via phone that he has all four posts on the speakers plugged in with banana plugs and the amp has posts with two banana plugs for each speaker. So it looks like my issue is getting the banana plugs into the spring clips of the new receiver. I should have made sure to ask before I ordered the new receiver.

So I take it that the banana plug won't easily fit into the spring clip? I also don't see anything online that looks like it would convert a banana plug to a pin type connector.

If there is any actual mechanical work involved, my father isn't doing it. He's not even going to strip speaker wire and go that route. Though I suppose I could do it myself with spare wire I have and then mail it to him along with some kind of jumper.

Or, I suppose I could return the receiver unopened and purchase a receiver with post connectors and not spring clips.
post #2502 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know that bi-wiring is useless. Unfortunately my dad thinks (or at least thought) that it wasn't useless. Though, he probably had no clue and just thought that real audiophiles had fancy expensive cables so he bought them.

Verifying just now via phone that he has all four posts on the speakers plugged in with banana plugs and the amp has posts with two banana plugs for each speaker. So it looks like my issue is getting the banana plugs into the spring clips of the new receiver. I should have made sure to ask before I ordered the new receiver.

So I take it that the banana plug won't easily fit into the spring clip? I also don't see anything online that looks like it would convert a banana plug to a pin type connector.

If there is any actual mechanical work involved, my father isn't doing it. He's not even going to strip speaker wire and go that route. Though I suppose I could do it myself with spare wire I have and then mail it to him along with some kind of jumper.

Or, I suppose I could return the receiver unopened and purchase a receiver with post connectors and not spring clips.
Either cut off the banana plugs or return the S540BT and upgrade to the S640H which uses Audyssey MultEQ, is a networking model so he could stream 2CH audio to a HEOS speaker elsewhere in the house, and has regular speaker posts.
post #2503 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bitstreaming a Nordic Blu-ray disk from my Oppo 83. Using best option of DTS-HD MASTER for input. Shows that on 3500 display as well as in Denon iPad app. It’s a 5.1 recording of various classical tracks. Using the same “music” preset for output. Also shown correctly on the app screen as well as on HDTV screen using Denon “info button”.

However, both on TV screen and app screen, the “ACTIVE SPEAKERS”, for output, show ALL 7 speakers active, in 5.1, my two back surrounds should not be on, as input and output should match.

Took a screen shot, but can’t drag and drop in this forum, can’t find a simple “attach file” button. Oh well trust me....

Ideas, opinions?

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #2504 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sub-Woofer via "Line Level" or "Speaker Level"?

Just bought a refurb DENON AVR-S640H from accessories4less, my first modern AV receiver. I'll be using it with my LG OLED TV and stereo speakers (Acoustic Research TSW-610).
But I also have a MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub-woofer I'm not sure how to connect.

Should I opt for "Line Level" or "Speaker Level"? (I think line level requires Coaxial RCA Cable M/M (e.g. Monoprice product #2743 ) right?

I've tacked on the two relevant pages from my MartinLogan manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	26
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	2529652

Name:	2.png
Views:	18
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2529654
post #2505 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Sub-Woofer via "Line Level" or "Speaker Level"?

Just bought a refurb DENON AVR-S640H from accessories4less, my first modern AV receiver. I'll be using it with my LG OLED TV and stereo speakers (Acoustic Research TSW-610).
But I also have a MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub-woofer I'm not sure how to connect.

Should I opt for "Line Level" or "Speaker Level"? (I think line level requires Coaxial RCA Cable M/M (e.g. Monoprice item #2743), right?

I've tacked on the two relevant pages from my MartinLogan manual.

Name:	1.png
Views:	20
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	2529656

Name:	2.png
Views:	16
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2529662
post #2506 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If your sub does not have an LFE input, then choose line level.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #2507 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Mactavish,

It's a little ambiguous. The manual (see attached photos, above) says:

Quote:
This setup is recommended if your Dynamo 300 will be used in a 2-channel system. If you will be using your system for both 2-channel and multi-channel listening we recommend connecting the Dynamo 300 as recommended in 'Multi-Channel/LFE Mode'. Some modern receivers and processors allow users to route left and right channel low-frequency information, in addition to discrete LFE information, through the LFE output.
post #2508 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Just to be clear ... this did work on the first day. It's inexplicable. Here are thousands of words in images. An image from the Network page, the General page, General/Front Display, General/Information. I also took the time to check every page and General/Trigger Out has also stopped displaying content. That one was working earlier today.
3500H here, same exact problem. Yesterday the internal web page was just two white lines and the AVR 2016 app didn’t work. This was working perfectly a week ago. Did a factory reset today, web page and app both worked. Within the last hour, General/Information and the Audio page stopped working and so did the app.
post #2509 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brand new x4500 stopped outputting sound. Unplugged. Power cycled many times. The only audio it played was Bluetooth. Then randomly after the last power cycle all audio returned. Any ideas?
post #2510 of 5329 Old 02-22-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Either cut off the banana plugs or return the S540BT and upgrade to the S640H which uses Audyssey MultEQ, is a networking model so he could stream 2CH audio to a HEOS speaker elsewhere in the house, and has regular speaker posts.
I appreciate the response. I think I will return the S540 to accessories4less unopened and get a S640.

He'll never use the features you mention (aside from the posts), which is why I went to the cheapest model in the first place. He has a three room, 1-bedroom apartment in SF and it's just him and my step mom. All the networking and connectivity features are things he'll never use. But it is worth it to get a receiver with posts so he can easily swap his existing cables in with no problem.

I guess I'm really only out whatever it costs to ship the item back to accessories4less.
post #2511 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bitstreaming a Nordic Blu-ray disk from my Oppo 83. Using best option of DTS-HD MASTER for input. Shows that on 3500 display as well as in Denon iPad app. It’s a 5.1 recording of various classical tracks. Using the same “music” preset for output. Also shown correctly on the app screen as well as on HDTV screen using Denon “info button”.

However, both on TV screen and app screen, the “ACTIVE SPEAKERS”, for output, show ALL 7 speakers active, in 5.1, my two back surrounds should not be on, as input and output should match.

Took a screen shot, but can’t drag and drop in this forum, can’t find a simple “attach file” button. Oh well trust me....

Ideas, opinions?
This is normal. DTS changed their decoder about 6 years ago such that with a 7.1 setup, a DTS 5.1 audio track will play to all 7 speakers.
post #2512 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I appreciate the response. I think I will return the S540 to accessories4less unopened and get a S640.

He'll never use the features you mention (aside from the posts), which is why I went to the cheapest model in the first place. He has a three room, 1-bedroom apartment in SF and it's just him and my step mom. All the networking and connectivity features are things he'll never use. But it is worth it to get a receiver with posts so he can easily swap his existing cables in with no problem.

I guess I'm really only out whatever it costs to ship the item back to accessories4less.
Take some time to teach him the technology and let him decide if he has no use for it.
post #2513 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is normal. DTS changed their decoder about 6 years ago such that with a 7.1 setup, a DTS 5.1 audio track will play to all 7 speakers.
Thanks, that’s crazy, never would have known that, got to do some reading....

UPDATE: hey JD here is an old 2013 thread (your name is mentioned), that explains the 5.1 to 7.1 upmix, in more detail. Geez... how do I stumble on these oddities....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-1-output.html
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Mactavish; 02-23-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #2514 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
What if you hired a "handy-man" via Angie's list or a local AV company to do this for him?

Vizio E-701i, Denon X4500H, Crown XLS-1502, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 II, Polk T15s, Klipsch RIC-65, Tivo Roamio OTA, LG BD570, Fire TV 1, Fire TV Stick 4K, XBox 360, Harmony Smart Control
post #2515 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

The RC-1221 remotes are backordered at that site until early March. I've ordered one just the same for my 4500H.
post #2516 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
The RC-1221 remotes are backordered at that site until early March. I've ordered one just the same for my 4500H.
I know. I ordered one, showed in stock, was told it would ship later that day, then real late got an email saying it was out of stock. Now a 10 day wait till they supposedly get them, then the shipping wait. Oh wel...
post #2517 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I know. I ordered one, showed in stock, was told it would ship later that day, then real late got an email saying it was out of stock. Now a 10 day wait till they supposedly get them, then the shipping wait. Oh wel...

I went back a few pages looking but did not see the location to order from. Can anyone supply a link, please?
post #2518 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I went back a few pages looking but did not see the location to order from. Can anyone supply a link, please?
https://denon.encompass.com/item/119...30701025200AS/
ppasteur likes this.
post #2519 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I appreciate it, thanks!
post #2520 of 5329 Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, I need some help. I got my 3500H this weekend. Hooked it all up. I've run Audyssey for the audio setup.

My setup:
Denon X3500-H
Sony XBR-X900F (55")
Front speakers Martin Logan 4i
Center: Martin Logan 4 / 8i (can't remember )
Rears: Energy

Sub: Older Yamaha YST-SW215

I'm using ARC from the TV to send audio out. I'm primarily using Youtube TV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. While watching Movies on netflix, the sub kicks on. Its set to off, with auto on based on LFE.

However, when watching Youtube TV or Amazon, it doesnt seem to come on, and I'm lost. When I used the comcast box, it would kick in pretty well.
The sub has a high cut set to about 100Hz. Auto standby set to High.

On the Denon, the Subwoofer level is set to -7.0dB
MultiEQ Xt32: Reference
Dynami EQ: Off
Dynamic Volume Off
Audyssey LFC: Off

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
calibrate , dali alteco , Denon , denon 4500h , denon avr-x4500h , denon x3500 , earc , heco victa 500 , lg b8 , onkyo ts-xr507 , sound , speakers , tear ax3000 , testing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page