Yamaha RX-V485, RX-V585, RX-V685 with Wireless Surround - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #121 of 140 Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RX-V685 -- 5lbs heavier

I really like the specs of the RX-V685 but am wondering why it's so much heavier when compared to the next model down? (23 lbs vs 17 lbs) and the power output is only 5 watts higher?

I think my concern comes from having a music center with glass shelves. I will probably get the V685 anyway and look for a glass cutter to fab a thicker shelf.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 09-06-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I bought my rxv585 a while ago, but ive noticed something today
ATMOS doesn't decode onto hdmi input 1, but it does for at least 2 and 3(haven't checked 4). is this normal? i swear it used to go through input 1 but i tried today, swapping inputs and hdmi cables, and the only time atmos wasn't working was when i tried input 1. Is this a thing or is my receiver kinda borked?
post #123 of 140 Old 09-08-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJChar View Post
I bought my rxv585 a while ago, but ive noticed something today
ATMOS doesn't decode onto hdmi input 1, but it does for at least 2 and 3(haven't checked 4). is this normal? i swear it used to go through input 1 but i tried today, swapping inputs and hdmi cables, and the only time atmos wasn't working was when i tried input 1. Is this a thing or is my receiver kinda borked?
Check which decoder/playback mode is selected for HDMI1. It should accept all audio formats like the others. You can check this with the on-screen input information screen (audio format).

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 140 Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forum newbie, RX V685 background noise problem

Greetings, all!

I've recently installed a new NON-AUDIOPHILE surround system in our living room just for decent audio for a 60+year old couple. I'm running 8" Polk ceiling flush mounted speakers, a Klipsch 10" sub, and a center speaker TBD, driven by a Yamaha RX V685 receiver.

The problem is whenever I power up the receiver I get a faint AM radio sounding noise in the background. I've tried moving cables around to see if there was a proximity source with no real change.

What I have found is if I disconnect the HDMI cable from my satellite DVR the noise goes away. I've tried swapping HDMI cables out, no change. And this makes no sense to me as HDMI cables are digital; how can they be leaking analog audio into the system?

I've tried search engines until I stumbled onto this forum, which I hope is my best chance at getting this problem solved.

Thanks for any help, and have a good one,
Mike
post #125 of 140 Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well I am no expert but either the DVR is Faulty or you have a grounding issue? is it s Satellite hookup like DISH?? maybe try plugging the reciever and DVR into a different outlet..

post #126 of 140 Old 10-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have that receiver connected to a directv receiver. I don’t have any audible noise. First thought is grounding issue or bad hdmi cable. Are both rx-685 and satellite plugged into same power strip? I haven’t got a next step for you other than my setup is dead quiet.
post #127 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've got the receiver on a different circuit (to the point of being on different circuit breakers) than the DVR receiver (DirectTV, although I doubt the service is the issue). I've also changed out HDMI cables with no change.

How would I tie a grounding cable to the two units to try to eliminate it that way? Just tie to two chassis screws on the outside cases?

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike
post #128 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 732
As posted previously...
U have a grounding install defect with ur satellite box...
Call the satellite install guys and have them correct the grounding issue.
Unfortunately today many install guys have little experience and will do a qwikee install and not following the basics.
When the install is properly done the satellite box should not add any hum and/or noise..
Typical problem is improper grounding where the coax enters the house.

Just my $0.02...
Vettedrmr likes this.
post #129 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
As posted previously...
U have a grounding install defect with ur satellite box...
Call the satellite install guys and have them correct the grounding issue.
Unfortunately today many install guys have little experience and will do a qwikee install and not following the basics.
When the install is properly done the satellite box should not add any hum and/or noise..
Typical problem is improper grounding where the coax enters the house.

Just my $0.02...
Any suggestions on how I can DIY check the grounding of the coax? I confess this is an area that I've not thought of as far as how to fix it goes.

Thanks for the help, and have a good one,
Mike
post #130 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 02:20 PM

<banging head>

Sigh..... Well, I got home from work and started working on digging into this background noise problem.

Step 1: Verify problem still exists. Check. Speakers (6 ceiling mounted) all have background noise.
Step 2: Verify problem goes away when DVR HDMI cable is pulled. FAIL. The volume of the background noise reduced but is still there.
Step 3: Pull more input cables until problem goes away. FAIL. While the volume of the noise would change, I disconnected everything from the receiver except the speaker cables and power, and the noise is still there.

So, the only thing left is the speaker wires themselves. How can they inject noise into the receiver amplifier? They're draped across the attic rafters, but how could that make a difference?

Could I have a bad receiver? And if so, how in the world do I try to explain this to the supplier?

Thanks again for your help, and have a good one,
Mike
post #131 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettedrmr View Post
Greetings, all!

I've recently installed a new NON-AUDIOPHILE surround system in our living room just for decent audio for a 60+year old couple. I'm running 8" Polk ceiling flush mounted speakers, a Klipsch 10" sub, and a center speaker TBD, driven by a Yamaha RX V685 receiver.

The problem is whenever I power up the receiver I get a faint AM radio sounding noise in the background. I've tried moving cables around to see if there was a proximity source with no real change.

What I have found is if I disconnect the HDMI cable from my satellite DVR the noise goes away. I've tried swapping HDMI cables out, no change. And this makes no sense to me as HDMI cables are digital; how can they be leaking analog audio into the system?

I've tried search engines until I stumbled onto this forum, which I hope is my best chance at getting this problem solved.

Thanks for any help, and have a good one,
Mike
Do live near a radio station transmitter?

The culprit may be the tuner in the AVR itself. It never really gets "turned off" it merely gets "not selected" but its sound can leak over into other parts of the electronics.

The test is to induce the noise situation and then disconnect the AM and FM antennas from the rear of the Yamaha. Problem gone? Further remedies will be described if this is the issue.
post #132 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Yes, I do live near an AM/FM radio transmitter; about probably a 1/4-1/2 mile away.

The background noise is still there even with both the AM and FM antennas disconnected. Literally *everything* is disconnected other than the speaker wiring.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help, and have a good one,
Mike
post #133 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do live near an AM/FM radio transmitter; about probably a 1/4-1/2 mile away.
I called it.

Ok, here's what you do: first, cover your entire house with aluminum foil [joke].

Seriously though, I would suggest converting to spiral helix coiled speakers wire. In wall wiring, called CL-2 rated, indeed does this internally to an outer white tube of insulation. Although I have heard of people doing it themselves by twisting their existing wire either by hand or by attaching an electric drill to one loose end and spinning it. The coil does not have to be all that tight. One full rotation every few inches should do.

TRIVIA: this radio frequency interference [RFI] blocking technology was first invented by Alexander Graham Bell to block interference in telephone lines.

Although the long speaker wires running to the Yamaha are likely the antenna there is another quick easy test to apply: While listening to the problem pick up and rotate the entire receiver 90 degrees and set it down [The concern is while you touch it things might exhibit the problem differently once you release it.]

RFI can be tricky. Sometimes moving a device just a foot in one direction or another, or rotating it, can do wonders. Also simply changing the stack order of your gear may help.
post #134 of 140 Old 10-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I called it.

Quote:
Seriously though, I would suggest converting to spiral helix coiled speakers wire. In wall wiring, called CL-2 rated, indeed does this internally to an outer white tube of insulation. Although I have heard of people doing it themselves by twisting their existing wire either by hand or by attaching an electric drill to one loose end and spinning it. The coil does not have to be all that tight. One full rotation every few inches should do.
That's probably a lot better solution to try next; I can get that work done this weekend as soon as it cools down. Thanks for the suggestion!

Have a good one,
Mike
post #135 of 140 Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Update: Better, but ....

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to y'all, but it's taken some time to get 250' of speaker wire twisted. The radio interference has been reduced noticeably, but it's still way more than I want to deal with.

So, I think the next thing to do is buy some shielded 2 conductor wire (not cheap, but not insane either) and (sigh) rewire the system.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all the help, and have a good one,
Mike
post #136 of 140 Old 10-09-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to y'all, but it's taken some time to get 250' of speaker wire twisted. The radio interference has been reduced noticeably, but it's still way more than I want to deal with.

So, I think the next thing to do is buy some shielded 2 conductor wire (not cheap, but not insane either) and (sigh) rewire the system.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all the help, and have a good one,
Mike
I'm glad the twisting at least helped.

Another possibility is to install an RF choke on each wire. Sorry I can't help you with particulars such as which ones or how many inches away from the the receiver you should place it {usually pretty close though] but maybe this article says more? I haven't read it: http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

RF chokes are usually very, very, inexpensive, in fact many USB cable companies are now inserting them on all their wires, even the free "giveaways".

Example of what I mean but I can't speak to if this one fits the bill: https://www.amazon.com/VSKEY-Anti-In...tronics&sr=1-3

Usually people wrap the wire at least once around the outside before snapping the casing shut. Like so:

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-09-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #137 of 140 Old 10-13-2019, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yamaha RX-V685 - Muffled voice, loud music?

Hi,

I'm the process of building a 3.1 setup and recently acquired a brand new pair of RP600Ms and hooked it to a new Yahama RX-V685. I'm still awaiting the center channel and the sub, so currently a 2.0 setup.

What I noticed is that the music portion of any video plays out loud and clear but when there are lyrics in a song or dialogues in a movie, it's low and muffled.

I'm pretty sure this is something to do with the settings on my AVR. My layman understanding is that the AVR thinks there is a center channel connected and is redirecting the voice bit to that speaker which doesn't exist. What strengthens my hunch is that when I'm streaming music through AirPlay, the songs play out perfectly well.

I've installed the Yamaha setup guide but yet to setup my speakers through it. Would running through the setup fix this issue or are there any specific settings I need to change?

Thanks
post #138 of 140 Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha M View Post
Hi,

I'm the process of building a 3.1 setup and recently acquired a brand new pair of RP600Ms and hooked it to a new Yahama RX-V685. I'm still awaiting the center channel and the sub, so currently a 2.0 setup.

What I noticed is that the music portion of any video plays out loud and clear but when there are lyrics in a song or dialogues in a movie, it's low and muffled.

I'm pretty sure this is something to do with the settings on my AVR. My layman understanding is that the AVR thinks there is a center channel connected and is redirecting the voice bit to that speaker which doesn't exist. What strengthens my hunch is that when I'm streaming music through AirPlay, the songs play out perfectly well.

I've installed the Yamaha setup guide but yet to setup my speakers through it. Would running through the setup fix this issue or are there any specific settings I need to change?

Thanks
1) Make sure the speakers are away from walls and not stuffed in a cabinet.
2) Run YPAO set-up. You will need to do this again when you add the center.
3) Re-evaluate.
ChromeJob likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #139 of 140 Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Always run a full auto setup at first and then do it again when you change things like connecting the center or a sub.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #140 of 140 Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha M View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Go into Manual Setup if you like, and ensure that you have only the existing speakers configured, not others.

If you use "Straight" mode, you may be missing the Center channel in multichannel content, as you don't have a Center speaker. Switch to 2ch Stereo until you get the other three speakers and sub. When you get the other speakers, run YPAO again to configure all the speakers. With all the speakers in place for basic multichannel playback, THEN you can switch to "Straight" mode.

Be sure to visit our other "Yamaha RX-V*85 owners" thread and subscribe to it.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , musiccast , question , rx-v485 , rx-v685 , web control center , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page