"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz "NR-Series"/"SR-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-7) - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #1411 of 1437 Old 01-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz 5013 + Epson 5040 HDCP error

Hi,
apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a solution and hence the post.

I have a Marantz 5013, which is connected to a LG OLED (using the AVRs HDMI output 1 which supports ARC) and to Epson 5040 (using HDMI output 2).

Now whenever I try to play Blu Ray discs (through Xbox One S --> Marantz --> TV/Projector) or Netflix/Amazon Prime (through ATV 4K --> Marantz --> TV/Projector), it works perfectly on the LG OLED TV, but when watching on the projector I get a HDCP 2.2 error. All these sources work perfectly when connected directly to the projector (ATV 4K --> Epson without the Marantz).

This problem disappears if I connect the Epson to the HDMI output 1 of the Marantz - However, I don't want to do that because I use ARC from my LG OLED to the Marantz and only output 1 supports ARC.

Has anyone faced this? Any help will be much appreciated?

thanks.
Vishal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1437 Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. In fact, fine to use with all Denon/Marantz/Onkyo Audyssey models going back to 2010.
Do you know why these 3 brands try to claim that there is a difference though? Like when you go to buy a replacement on accessories4less it makes you choose one of the 3 brands when purchasing the ACM1HB.

Unfortunately my mic is no longer working and I think it was static electricity that killed it. Is that common with these mics? Anyone have tips to not shock these things to death?
post #1413 of 1437 Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23228 Post(s)
Liked: 12741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
Do you know why these 3 brands try to claim that there is a difference though? Like when you go to buy a replacement on accessories4less it makes you choose one of the 3 brands when purchasing the ACM1HB.

Unfortunately my mic is no longer working and I think it was static electricity that killed it. Is that common with these mics? Anyone have tips to not shock these things to death?
1. Audyssey will tell you there is no difference.
2. Not common for there to be a static electricity issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1437 Old 01-14-2020, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Marantz NR1509 mystery

Whenever I configure my Marantz NR1509 amplifier (brand new) for "Multi Chanel Stereo" it shuts down at the slightest high-frequency. A flashing return light appears above the power button. When I reboot the unit, the volume level has been re-set down to 40 (out of a possible 98) and the message "Speaker Protection Mode" appears. This ghost in the machine has rendered my SACD collection virtually unplayable, unless I want to play them in two-channel format, in which my amp has performed flawlessly.

A few specs about my system. In front I have two Infinity speakers, reliable old friends. In back, two Polk T15 speakers. My turntable is a Stanton STR8-20 and the linchpin of my setup, the SACD player, is a five-disc Sony DVP-NC685VC.

Marantz's help desk is hard to reach and not very informative. However, I had a long and pleasant chat with an obviously knowledgeable technician at Crutchfield, my vendor. His theory is there is a short circuit, either in one of the speakers or in the speaker cabling, such as arced wires or something hard to see like that. With four speakers and eight cable ports there are a lot of permutations through which to work.

So far the only troubleshooting I have tried is to use the front speakers only but in "Multi Channel Stereo" setting. They shut down, which is strange because they have never given me a problem in 35 years. Next up will be to isolate the rear speakers, then go speaker to speaker and, at some point, re-seat all the cabling on the back of the NR1509, which I am loath to do because it is very difficult to seat the cables, although I fear this is where a problem is likeliest to lurk.

Given all the information I've provided, do you have any thoughts, theories, suggestions, etc.?
post #1415 of 1437 Old 01-14-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Could the transformer be going south? If it powers down entirely, that is the likely culprit.
post #1416 of 1437 Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
First of all, welcome to AVS.

Secondly, I'd post your inquiry on the Receiver, Amps and Processors sub-forum here at AVS. There might even be a dedicated thread for the NR1509. I have a Marantz SR6012 and that is where I go to get my questions answered.

Please come back and post your hi-rez and SACD listening experiences.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #1417 of 1437 Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKee View Post
Whenever I configure my Marantz NR1509 amplifier (brand new) for "Multi Chanel Stereo" it shuts down at the slightest high-frequency. A flashing return light appears above the power button. When I reboot the unit, the volume level has been re-set down to 40 (out of a possible 98) and the message "Speaker Protection Mode" appears. This ghost in the machine has rendered my SACD collection virtually unplayable, unless I want to play them in two-channel format, in which my amp has performed flawlessly.

A few specs about my system. In front I have two Infinity speakers, reliable old friends. In back, two Polk T15 speakers. My turntable is a Stanton STR8-20 and the linchpin of my setup, the SACD player, is a five-disc Sony DVP-NC685VC.

Marantz's help desk is hard to reach and not very informative. However, I had a long and pleasant chat with an obviously knowledgeable technician at Crutchfield, my vendor. His theory is there is a short circuit, either in one of the speakers or in the speaker cabling, such as arced wires or something hard to see like that. With four speakers and eight cable ports there are a lot of permutations through which to work.

So far the only troubleshooting I have tried is to use the front speakers only but in "Multi Channel Stereo" setting. They shut down, which is strange because they have never given me a problem in 35 years. Next up will be to isolate the rear speakers, then go speaker to speaker and, at some point, re-seat all the cabling on the back of the NR1509, which I am loath to do because it is very difficult to seat the cables, although I fear this is where a problem is likeliest to lurk.

Given all the information I've provided, do you have any thoughts, theories, suggestions, etc.?
Double check your speaker connections on both ends to ensure they aren't touching each other or the chassis.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #1418 of 1437 Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Are your front speakers 8ohm?

What you’re describing sounds like an impedance issue so if your front speakers are not 8ohm and actually 2, 4, or 6ohm that is most likely the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #1419 of 1437 Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
[FONT="Century Gothic"]Whenever I configure my Marantz NR1509 amplifier (brand new) for "Multi Chanel Stereo" it shuts down at the slightest high-frequency. A flashing return light appears above the power button. When I reboot the unit, the volume level has been re-set down to 40 (out of a possible 98) and the message "Speaker Protection Mode" appears. This ghost in the machine has rendered my SACD collection virtually unplayable, unless I want to play them in two-channel format, in which my amp has performed flawlessly.
The flashing "protection mode" light indicates the following based on the frequency of the flashing:

1. Fast flashing (ie. 2 flashes/sec) - (a) speaker wire from one post touching another post (either on back of AVR or at speaker), (b) playing 4-ohm speakers too loud, (c) amp failure
2. Slow flashing (ie. 1 flash/2 secs) - insufficient ventilation around the AVR
post #1420 of 1437 Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM

"What you’re describing sounds like an impedance issue so if your front speakers are not 8ohm and actually 2, 4, or 6ohm that is most likely the issue."

How would I go about determining that? (I'm not crazy about replacing perfectly good speakers.) The main stereo pair can carry a heavier load when the unit is in two-channel format than the full array can in four-channel, but maybe the NR1509 is trying to drive more sound than four bookshelf (? ohm) speakers can support.

The music I am using as a "test track" always causes the NR1509 to power down at the exact same moment, if that information is at all helpful. Thank you.
post #1421 of 1437 Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 179
What speakers are you driving ... easy enough to check ohms

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #1422 of 1437 Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
"What you’re describing sounds like an impedance issue so if your front speakers are not 8ohm and actually 2, 4, or 6ohm that is most likely the issue."

How would I go about determining that? (I'm not crazy about replacing perfectly good speakers.) The main stereo pair can carry a heavier load when the unit is in two-channel format than the full array can in four-channel, but maybe the NR1509 is trying to drive more sound than four bookshelf (? ohm) speakers can support.

The music I am using as a "test track" always causes the NR1509 to power down at the exact same moment, if that information is at all helpful. Thank you.

Hopefully you can find that by googling your speaker model but considering the age of them there’s no guarantee you will find those details.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #1423 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
What speakers are you driving ... easy enough to check ohms

I don't have a model number for my two (front) Infinity speakers. My rear speakers are Polk T15s. I'm guessing the impedance is low but don't know for certain. That's probably a job for Google.
post #1424 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 02:03 PM

MARANTZ NR1509 Mystery

post #1425 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
MARANTZ NR1509 Mystery

You just posted this same post 3 days ago (see post 1414). No reason to repost when you're getting responses to your first post.
T-smith likes this.
post #1426 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would completely disconnect all speakers then rewire making sure of clean connections. At the rear of each speaker inspect the connections.. then go from there

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #1427 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
The above description indicates to me that at least one your receiver's amplifiers goes into a catastrophic oscillation. The global "negative feedback" that controls the amplifier's gain and other things turn into "positive feedback" at very high frequencies that feeds on itself to destruction. It appears to me that your test track can coach your receiver to exhibit this bad amplifier behaviour.

There are many factors that contribute to this fault; some are due to intrinsically unstable amplifier caused by poor design or unlucky combination of parts used, reactive loads / speakers and their crossover networks, etc.

The solutions are varied. A cheap adjustment or addition to the "zobel network" placed at the receiver's speaker terminals may solve the problem.
I would suggest having it looked at by a good technician.

Last edited by Fruit; 01-17-2020 at 11:54 PM.
post #1428 of 1437 Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I would completely disconnect all speakers then rewire making sure of clean connections. At the rear of each speaker inspect the connections.. then go from there

I've disconnected and rewired all the speakers at the speaker end. Rewiring the back of the amplifier is going to be a bear, so I haven't done it yet. But I will.

My Polk T15s have 6-8ohms, although I haven't yet found an explanation in layman's terms of what that actually means from a practical standpoint. One of the T15s seems to be a weak sister, in terms of its output, so it might be going back to the store.

One piece of good news: I was able to play two SACDs today without incident. A sign of hope?

P.S.: Sorry about the double-post. I thought it was going to a different thread.
post #1429 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am using the SR7013 coupled with a MM7055 amp. Speakers are Kef Q700 front, Q600 center, Q300 Surround and a SVS PB1000 sub. Im running a 5.1 setup.

I have two questions:

- I was going to use the amp to just power the front 3 speakers but do you think I should run it for all 5?
- Second. The SVS tech told me to run the fronts at 60 hz for the crossover and the tech at accessories for less recommended 80 hz. What do you think would be better?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
post #1430 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have seen rumours but cannot find any official statement, that Denon will add HDR10+ support this year.

Anyone heard something and will D&M also do same for Marantz? And which models?
Thanks.

Panasonic TX-65GZ950B, Oppo UDP-203, Musical Fidelity M3i, Marantz SR7013, 5.1.2 - Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vokal, Oberon 1, Alteco C-1, BK P12-300SB-PR, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), Sky Fiber Max (80/20).
post #1431 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What did audessey set them at? I would do 80 regardless. Audessey set my speakers to 60 but i changed them to 80.. also do you think you need an amp eith those speakers? Just asking as i think the 7013 would do fine w/o the amp.. if you had to use the amp i would do the fronts and let reciever do the rest.

post #1432 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
What did audessey set them at? I would do 80 regardless. Audessey set my speakers to 60 but i changed them to 80.. also do you think you need an amp eith those speakers? Just asking as i think the 7013 would do fine w/o the amp.. if you had to use the amp i would do the fronts and let reciever do the rest.

I was just using the amp to relieve some pressure off of the avr. I did some testing and it seemed to sound better with the amp in play. Thank you for your advice!
post #1433 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornclaw View Post
I was just using the amp to relieve some pressure off of the avr. I did some testing and it seemed to sound better with the amp in play. Thank you for your advice!

Good to know that it sounds better with the amp. Have heard too many times about not necessary to add an amp for different reasons. Im allways looking into what can make my system sound better, but have shyed away from adding an amp. I have the sr7012 . maybe ill look into it again..

post #1434 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_64 View Post
I have seen rumours but cannot find any official statement, that Denon will add HDR10+ support this year.

Anyone heard something and will D&M also do same for Marantz? And which models?
Thanks.
Possibly when the upper level Denon and Marantz HDMI 2.1 models are released this fall.
post #1435 of 1437 Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornclaw View Post
I am using the SR7013 coupled with a MM7055 amp. Speakers are Kef Q700 front, Q600 center, Q300 Surround and a SVS PB1000 sub. Im running a 5.1 setup.

I have two questions:

- I was going to use the amp to just power the front 3 speakers but do you think I should run it for all 5?
- Second. The SVS tech told me to run the fronts at 60 hz for the crossover and the tech at accessories for less recommended 80 hz. What do you think would be better?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
1. An external amp shouldn't be required at all, but if you feel it's required (eg. hearing distortion at higher volume levels), whether you power 3 or 5 would be your own personal preference.
2. Use whatever crossover setting sounds best to you, although 80Hz is the standard setting for most speakers.
post #1436 of 1437 Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Marantz 2016 AVR Remote App -- has stopped working!

This app on my Android cell phone worked perfectly as recently as this morning. It doesn't work now and hasn't for several hours. I've tried power cycling the modem, my cell phone, uninstalling and reinstalling the app. The Marantz SR6013 receiver shows in my network's list of connected devices. It shows right now as connected to the receiver via Bluetooth on my cell phone, and the receiver lists my cell phone in the porthole when Bluetooth is selected. But the app on the cell phone doesn't find the receiver. Any ideas of what else I should check?

SOLVED!! It was as easy as unplugging the SR6013 -- well, actually shutting down my power conditioner. But the SR6013 need to be completely unpowered, not just shut off via the panel button. When repowered, the Marantz 2016 Remote AVR App worked as expected.

Last edited by Calypte; 01-20-2020 at 12:13 AM.
post #1437 of 1437 Old Today, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Selectable Atmos Option showing oddly on non Atmos Streaming services...why?

Hello:

I have a Marantz 6013 with a 7.1.4 setup. I understandably see on my receiver the option to choose the sound setting of "Atmos" on my blu-ray player and my X-Box. I also understandably see another Atmos setting named "Atmos+D/Sur" to select when viewing many titles on Netflix, Disney+, and Prime. In all of these situations, thew input setting is either coming in as "Atmos" or "Atmos-DD+"

What I do not understand is why I see that I can select an Atmos sound setting while watching Hulu or certain shows from FuboTV. It is my understanding that these providers, like HBO, do not have Atmos currently. My receiver has other options too like stereo, DD, DTS-virtual, etc, but neither my receiver nor any to my knowledge, makes a true atmos setting from whatever input coming into the reciever. This is despite whatever sound gets sent to various speakers....so what gives?

Also, none of this has anything to do with atmos virtualization either. Simply put, why does a selectable atmos setting appear on my receiver from non atmos streamed providers. In fact I want to say 99% that it used to not do this.....was there an update? is there an error?
asabrag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atv4k , crash , Dts , epson 5040 , freeze , imax enhanced , Marantz , marantz 6013 , problem , sr6013

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page