Onkyo TX-NR787 Has 9-Channel Atmos and DTS:X for $799 MSRP - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #241 of 264 Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
For upmixing, you can cycle through on your remote and choose the one you prefer.

While bitstreaming from sources, it will automatically apply DTS:X to sources that contain it and ATMOS for those sources that are ATMOS.
I got a chance to figure this out last night.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not a future update will take this feature away as Dolby has mandated that all new receivers must have this disabled by default?

Anyone check to see that they can still apply DSU to DTS titles after the most recent update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 04-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
nice write up @S_rangeBrew . Any hdmi, 4k, dv, uhd video or handshake issues? If not then at this price, this seems like a better deal than getting a mid to high level 7 channel receiver for a bedroom, 2nd HT or living room theater setup. Not sure how the zone 3/height/surround back works, but I would love to be able to control 5.1 plus two more zones for about $500.

No issues so far. I had a scare at first when the video started blanking out and I wasn't even getting through the setup process..... I was cursing this "cheap crappy Onkyo" Then I figured out the HDMI cable in my projector was loose. Oooops. Absolutely fine since then. I've watched a couple movies and no problems.

In fact, I like the Atmos so much, I've decided to trade this in for a TX-RZ830, which lets me go up to 11 channels (with an external amp) for 7.2.4 Atmos. It also adds pre-outs, more power and eARC. I only needed to pay $50 more, easy choice. Of course, now I'll be spending a lot more than that for another pair of surround speakers. Worth it so I'm not stuck saying "what if?" eARC is also a nice HDMI 2.1 feature that may come in useful for the future if I ever hook this up to a smart TV with apps.

One thing I'm impressed by is the great numbers these Onkyo's have been getting on the test benches the past few years. Really good accuracy and power on the speaker outputs AND the pre-amp RCA jacks.

It also performed impressively.
eriksells916 and theike like this.
post #243 of 264 Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
No issues so far. I had a scare at first when the video started blanking out and I wasn't even getting through the setup process..... I was cursing this "cheap crappy Onkyo" Then I figured out the HDMI cable in my projector was loose. Oooops. Absolutely fine since then. I've watched a couple movies and no problems.

In fact, I like the Atmos so much, I've decided to trade this in for a TX-RZ830, which lets me go up to 11 channels (with an external amp) for 7.2.4 Atmos. It also adds pre-outs, more power and eARC. I only needed to pay $50 more, easy choice. Of course, now I'll be spending a lot more than that for another pair of surround speakers. Worth it so I'm not stuck saying "what if?" eARC is also a nice HDMI 2.1 feature that may come in useful for the future if I ever hook this up to a smart TV with apps.

One thing I'm impressed by is the great numbers these Onkyo's have been getting on the test benches the past few years. Really good accuracy and power on the speaker outputs AND the pre-amp RCA jacks.

This bench test of the TX-RZ810 (which is the same as the RZ820 and RZ830) shows it having quite a bit more than rated power.

Audioholics did a far more detailed bench test of the Integra DRX-4.2 which is equivalent to the RZ720 or RZ730. It also performed impressively.
Nice! I was mentioning to a newbie in another thread about 9 channel receivers and said that the a2080 or x4500 were better because of their reliability, the room correction software and the dual sub control. Some members did not agree with me and one even said with a minidsp 2x4 the rz830 would be better as it still costs less than the x4500 on sale at Frys and way less than the a2080. I might have to eat my words! If there are no major reliability issues that pop up this year, the lx503, rz730 and rz830 could be the best deal of 2019, IMHO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 264 Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just got this because we're moving into a house for the first time so I'm ready to add Atmos (2 at first, 4 later!), and it's replacing my TX-SR309, which has served me pretty well for the past 8 years! I hopefully will get to set things up this weekend but I'm cutting new speaker wire, etc.—not to mention the fact that we're moving this weekend, and with a baby that's not easy!—so I might not get to try it out right away.

Question: does this allow you to re-label the various inputs? If so, where is that setting? I haven't found any menu rundown videos online.
post #245 of 264 Old 05-03-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
... Question: does this allow you to re-label the various inputs? If so, where is that setting? I haven't found any menu rundown videos online.
Yes, it is on page 120 of the manual.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #246 of 264 Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
... Question: does this allow you to re-label the various inputs? If so, where is that setting? I haven't found any menu rundown videos online.
Yes, it is on page 120 of the manual.
Thank you, my friend!
post #247 of 264 Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 AM

Another question for you lovely people, now that I've got my home theater gear set up in our new house.

I've got an LG OLED 65B7P (2017), and don't seem to be getting Atmos via ARC from the built-in Dolby demo app or from Vudu where Atmos is available—the 787 shows only DD+ or Dolby Surround. There’s a toggle on the B7’s audio settings for Dolby Atmos but it’s grayed out.

The 787 is processing Atmos and DTS:X from my OPPO 203 without issue, which is my main concern, but I’d like to get this issue with the apps sorted. Does anyone have any pointers here? I’ve read conflicting reports about whether the 2017 LG OLEDs can pass Atmos metadata through ARC (for the lossy version, anyway), but most reports seem to say “yes.”
post #248 of 264 Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 481
If you see DD+ lights up on your receiver, it is capable of sending Atmos over DD+. But whether or not the particular app on your TV or particular video you are playing really contains or supports Atmos is who another story. It has nothing to do with your receiver (since it shows DD+) for sure. How do you know the video you are playing really contains Atmos on your TV? TV apps can have different capabilities than the same app on different devices.
post #249 of 264 Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
If you see DD+ lights up on your receiver, it is capable of sending Atmos over DD+. But whether or not the particular app on your TV or particular video you are playing really contains or supports Atmos is who another story. It has nothing to do with your receiver (since it shows DD+) for sure. How do you know the video you are playing really contains Atmos on your TV? TV apps can have different capabilities than the same app on different devices.
I'm assuming each video I've tried has Atmos because each shows an Atmos logo on it. In the case of the Dolby app, the logo is at the front of the video, along with the Dolby Vision logo. On Vudu, I'm selecting movies in my library that show the Atmos logo in the included features.

EDIT: I came home today and tried the apps again. Now the receiver shows Dolby Atmos/Atmos D+. I changed absolutely nothing. Not gonna complain, though!

Last edited by nusilver; 05-10-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #250 of 264 Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've been having issues sending a 4K/HDR to two sources at the same time. I have a BenQ HT3550 projector hooked up to the main output and a Samsung UN40MU6290 hooked up to the sub output. My sources are an Xbox One X and a Shield TV.

The projector is connected with this standard HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the TV is connected with this optical HDMI cable:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13700

The receiver works if I only have the projector hooked up, but as soon as I connect the TV I start experiencing handshake issues. The picture on the TV flickers and the source drops in and out. I tried disconnecting the projector and switched the TV between both the main and sub outputs but the issue persists. At this point I figured the HDMI cable was to blame, but if I connect the TV directly to the Xbox or Shield everything works perfectly. Changing the video output to 1080p also fixes the issues, but leaves me without 4k content so that's not really a fix.

Why would the HDMI cable work when directly connected to the source, but no when routed through the receiver? I've been through all of the settings in the receiver, but haven't been able to find anything that looks like it would be the cause of the issue.
post #251 of 264 Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahly3889 View Post
I've been having issues sending a 4K/HDR to two sources at the same time. I have a BenQ HT3550 projector hooked up to the main output and a Samsung UN40MU6290 hooked up to the sub output. My sources are an Xbox One X and a Shield TV.

The projector is connected with this standard HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the TV is connected with this optical HDMI cable:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13700

The receiver works if I only have the projector hooked up, but as soon as I connect the TV I start experiencing handshake issues. The picture on the TV flickers and the source drops in and out. I tried disconnecting the projector and switched the TV between both the main and sub outputs but the issue persists. At this point I figured the HDMI cable was to blame, but if I connect the TV directly to the Xbox or Shield everything works perfectly. Changing the video output to 1080p also fixes the issues, but leaves me without 4k content so that's not really a fix.

Why would the HDMI cable work when directly connected to the source, but no when routed through the receiver? I've been through all of the settings in the receiver, but haven't been able to find anything that looks like it would be the cause of the issue.
Switch the cables vice versa and see if the problem follows the "flaky cable".

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 2 Atrium 5 Front Tops | 2 Klipsch R-14SA Rear heights | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
post #252 of 264 Old 05-12-2019, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Nope, no dice. In fact I only get HDR and to get sound I have to turn off Dolby Atmos. I’ve spent way to much time with this nonsense. I’m going to leave my ATV4K connected to the HDMI in of my Oppo until either it gets an update or my TV or both. I can get my Dolby Vision fix with my Firestick 4K or the built in apps on my TV.
I haven't run into the Dolby Vision issue (no DV on my display) but I've got the Atmos sound issue -- as in, if the film is equipped with an Atmos soundtrack, nothing gets passed through.

I did notice that with this latest firmware update from Apple (12.2.1, I think), all of my settings were reset to default, with HDR not activating if I have the beast set to 4K SDR etc. If I turn Atmos off, I get sound. The Onkyo handles Atmos from other sources just fine.

It's annoying the pants off me as one of the reasons for this new setup was to be able to to 4K/Atmos from the AppleTV.

I've been poking the Googles, but to no avail. All that resulted in was Apple yelling at me to change my password.
post #253 of 264 Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Just downloaded the new ATV4K beta firmware and all is well. I once again have Dolby Vision and Atmos through my Onkyo TX-NR787.
Ohhhh boy, so I'm going to have to flip the beta switch, huh?

*sighs theatrically*
post #254 of 264 Old 05-13-2019, 06:26 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
Switch the cables vice versa and see if the problem follows the "flaky cable".
I tried swapping the cables around, but the receiver still seems to be the common denominator. I have a different receiver in the house. I'm going to try swapping it out to see if the problem persists.
post #255 of 264 Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM

My son has taken over the mantle of primary technician in our household. As such, he maintains the pihole that regulates the internet traffic to and from our various devices.

When I initially setup my new amp, I opted out of the info sharing option. As others here have mentioned, it is impossible to use this amp without opting in as you will be pestered each time you startup with the same query and this can screw up whatever startup procedure you have programmed into whatever remote you may use.

My son informs me that the amp made over 7000 calls within the last 24 hours over our network. I was contemplating taking the amp offline to avoid any future "upgrade" that might disable some of the DSU functions (In my setup, DSU sounds better than NEURAL X on non-DTSX DTS soundtarcks).

Is there anything I should be considering before I do this? Right now, this amp exceeds all my expectations and needs. I can't think of anything (other than the addition of AURO 3D processing - ain't gonna happen) that I would be missing out on.
post #256 of 264 Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
How experienced is your son in the networking arena? I ask because there are many ways to mitigate or minimize what traffic goes out from your network. Those 7000 calls/queries could be anything from checking for updates, to almost anything. If you want to be amazed, look into how many queries your phone/tablets are making. Of course you can take your receiver off-line (the only true way to keep it from sending or receiving anything over the network. There are other things you can do also, but won't go into a network class here. BTW, I think the receiver has a setting to select only update "manually".

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
My son has taken over the mantle of primary technician in our household. As such, he maintains the pihole that regulates the internet traffic to and from our various devices.

When I initially setup my new amp, I opted out of the info sharing option. As others here have mentioned, it is impossible to use this amp without opting in as you will be pestered each time you startup with the same query and this can screw up whatever startup procedure you have programmed into whatever remote you may use.

My son informs me that the amp made over 7000 calls within the last 24 hours over our network. I was contemplating taking the amp offline to avoid any future "upgrade" that might disable some of the DSU functions (In my setup, DSU sounds better than NEURAL X on non-DTSX DTS soundtarcks).

Is there anything I should be considering before I do this? Right now, this amp exceeds all my expectations and needs. I can't think of anything (other than the addition of AURO 3D processing - ain't gonna happen) that I would be missing out on.
post #257 of 264 Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
How experienced is your son in the networking arena? I ask because there are many ways to mitigate or minimize what traffic goes out from your network. Those 7000 calls/queries could be anything from checking for updates, to almost anything. If you want to be amazed, look into how many queries your phone/tablets are making. Of course you can take your receiver off-line (the only true way to keep it from sending or receiving anything over the network. There are other things you can do also, but won't go into a network class here. BTW, I think the receiver has a setting to select only update "manually".
I guess he's experienced enough to not think that this is anything to be concerned about. He'll leave that to his old man.

He did point out that the Onkyo is making more calls than any other single item in our house which is filled with numerous phones, tablets,laptops and media boxes.
m3incorp likes this.
post #258 of 264 Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Just updated to latest FW this morning and the chrome cast is actually working now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
post #259 of 264 Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by theike View Post
Just updated to latest FW this morning and the chrome cast is actually working now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you perform a USB or network update? The latest version I can see on Onkyo's download site is from April 18th, which I've had installed for over a month now. That version added Airplay 2 support. What version did you update to?
post #260 of 264 Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Liked: 13
I see new firmware is available dated 7/9/2019
post #261 of 264 Old 07-16-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post
Whenever I seem to try to update for the first time over NET it will get part way through and stop. This time I got ERROR: F-82 at 86% done. So I crossed my fingers, hit the power button and restarted it. It then prompted me to "press enter" to continue updating. Then it continued on and completed OK. Hope this fixes a few bugs such as my unit will randomly turn itself on. But definitely need more stable chromecast and airplay.

This is what I found on the ONKYO site as to the new firmware:
1. Improve playback stability for Chromecast Built-in.
2. Improve playback stability for Airplay.
3. Improve the playability for certain WAV files.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
post #262 of 264 Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post
I'm finding chromecast is much improved. Still takes longer to connect than my chromecast audio, but it doesn't cut out like it used to.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
post #263 of 264 Old 07-17-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 481
How many times do they have to fix this Chromecast issue? I swear that couple of past firmware updates also claim to improve Chromecast I tried it once when I first set my receiver up and it didn't work as documentation claimed (I configured it to play on zone two which connects to my whole home speaker system, but it play to main zone instead). I gave up and use my Google Chromecase Audio instead (zero problem from the day I bought it).
post #264 of 264 Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Can anyone who has taken the update confirm whether or not the receiver still allows you to apply DSU processing to DTS sources?
I want to upgrade but don't want to lose this feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page