Active setup: *BEEP*, noise and clipping isues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Active setup: *BEEP*, noise and clipping isues

have some problems in my active setup, and I was hoping some people could help me out. As I'm new to this I didnt knew what to look for to maximise quality. I knew not to go over 0db in the crossover it self, but I didnt focus on clipping. I see and notice now how much influence this has on the sound quality. I have a few problems in trying to fix this.

I have a beep, which is most noticeable in my tweeter horn. This only depends on the amp level, and is not influenced by the AVR level (or settings) or processor levels. I'm using a Marantz SR7000 amp which needs to be turned down to -35db to remove the beep. That is insanely low.. the amp itself has decent power, but like this it can not give enough. It makes it so that I need to make the difference very high in my processor to get it to the bass level. Same problem, but less severe, in my 2x 500W power amp which I use to drive the low end. All in all I need to pushe the speakers to their very limits in the AVR. They are set waaaay higher than the other channels (which is kinda crazy if you know that they have more than 12db sensitivity extra, ánd several times the power potential to drive them). My very very very cheap (10 USD) china amp doesn't have this problem.. I tested it, and it comes out pretty *BEEP*less. I can easily set the level of 1 speaker with this amp driving both high and low end (it does not have balance control) , without having to use crazy proces. In the end this problem with my main amps is most visible in the clipping of the processor. Even at moderate levels it clips. And it is soooo noticeable..

How do I fix this? The amps I have now are temporary in every sense, so changing the amps is the solution I have in mind. How do I know if an amp is gonna give a beep or not? It would be a waste to spend good money on something when it gives the same BEEP / clipping problem I have now.

Also, what other rules of thumb and principles should I follow? Not adjust the processing above 0db is one. What are some others? If I want to raise the level of a speaker, what is the best way? Adjust it in the AVR, amps or processor? Same for adjusting high vs low: amp or processor?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version