2018 Pioneer LX303 & LX103 - Dolby Atmos / DTS:X / Dolby Vision / HLG - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 85 Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post
I got a VSX-LX303 on Saturday and set it up. It works great with my Panasonic TC-65FX800. I have my PS3 plugged into the BD/DVD HDMI port. I have my cable box hooked up with analog RCA cables. I have the TV plugged into the MAIN out and my Panasonic AE4000u projector plugged into the SUB out. HDMI output set to MAIN+SUB.

On Sunday I tried using the projector with the PS3 but got an erratic flickering picture kinda like old tv static like it was a garbled signal. Sound worked fine through the receiver. I switched to TV/CBL and the picture was clear and normal. After a while I moved the PS3 to HDMI 6, a non HDCP 2.2 port and it works fine now. I tried it with HDMI upscaling on and off with no difference.

Why would the signal from the BD/DVD HDCP 2.2 port be garbled but the non-HDCP 2.2 port work fine? Is this a setting issue, issue with the LX303, HDMI handshake issue, or a projector hardware issue?

Things worked fine with the old Pioneer VSX-1325 receiver. I'm stumped.
Did you try the "Deep Color Output" setting on the PS3. Try setting that to "off" and see if it clears up your issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got a VSX-LX303 on Saturday and set it up. It works great with my Panasonic TC-65FX800. I have my PS3 plugged into the BD/DVD HDMI port. I have my cable box hooked up with analog RCA cables. I have the TV plugged into the MAIN out and my Panasonic AE4000u projector plugged into the SUB out. HDMI output set to MAIN+SUB.

On Sunday I tried using the projector with the PS3 but got an erratic flickering picture kinda like old tv static like it was a garbled signal. Sound worked fine through the receiver. I switched to TV/CBL and the picture was clear and normal. After a while I moved the PS3 to HDMI 6, a non HDCP 2.2 port and it works fine now. I tried it with HDMI upscaling on and off with no difference.

Why would the signal from the BD/DVD HDCP 2.2 port be garbled but the non-HDCP 2.2 port work fine? Is this a setting issue, issue with the LX303, HDMI handshake issue, or a projector hardware issue?

Things worked fine with the old Pioneer VSX-1325 receiver. I'm stumped.
I have found the Deep color setting on different Source devices different Display Devices and different receivers to be problematic to say the least causing the issue that you described.

post #63 of 85 Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Did you try the "Deep Color Output" setting on the PS3. Try setting that to "off" and see if it clears up your issue.

I did try the deep color output and it made no difference.

I plugged my WD Live TV box into the BD/DVD HDMI port and the results were the same. Flickering picture with static. Also to reiterate selecting and watching these devices on the non- HDCP 2.2 hdmi ports work fine. And again, it is only causing issues trying to watch the source on my Panasonic PT-AE4000u projector.

This leads me to believe it has to be a setting in the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 85 Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did try the deep color output and it made no difference.

I plugged my WD Live TV box into the BD/DVD HDMI port and the results were the same. Flickering picture with static. Also to reiterate selecting and watching these devices on the non- HDCP 2.2 hdmi ports work fine. And again, it is only causing issues trying to watch the source on my Panasonic PT-AE4000u projector.

This leads me to believe it has to be a setting in the receiver.
I would agree with you I wish I had an answer some type of handshake issue where are the settings are not on the same page in the PS3 and the receiver

post #65 of 85 Old 07-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I would agree with you I wish I had an answer some type of handshake issue where are the settings are not on the same page in the PS3 and the receiver

My projector is connected to the AVR with 2 HDMI 1.4 cables plugged into each other. length is about 30'. It has been like this for 9 years with my previous AVR and worked fine.

Could cables be a issue? Nothing other than the new AVR has changed and now things aren't working.

Perhaps the new AVR HDMI output is weaker than the old AVR. All components are mounted so I can't just plug things in with a shorter cable to test. I would have to order a good quality cable.

I will post some pictures or a video of the issue I'm having. Maybe I should also post this issue in the HDMI section of the forum.
post #66 of 85 Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My projector is connected to the AVR with 2 HDMI 1.4 cables plugged into each other. length is about 30'. It has been like this for 9 years with my previous AVR and worked fine.

Could cables be a issue? Nothing other than the new AVR has changed and now things aren't working.

Perhaps the new AVR HDMI output is weaker than the old AVR. All components are mounted so I can't just plug things in with a shorter cable to test. I would have to order a good quality cable.

I will post some pictures or a video of the issue I'm having. Maybe I should also post this issue in the HDMI section of the forum.
I know it would be a hassle but I'm sure you have shorter HDMI cables I would take your Source devices out of their current location and plug them directly into you are projector and see if that resolves the issue. Then do the same thing move your receiver within cable length of the projector and run your Source devices through your receiver and then receiver to projector using the shorter cables. Obviously if the receiver works when it's closer to the projector then I would say is an issue with your cables. If your HDMI cables are over 25 ft in length I would suggest using fiber optic HDMI cables Unfortunately they are considerably more expensive but they do use resolve handshake issues but I would rule out the receiver first. If you put a temporary table underneath your projector you should be able to reach it with 6 foot HDMI cables from your receiver

post #67 of 85 Old 07-23-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know it would be a hassle but I'm sure you have shorter HDMI cables I would take your Source devices out of their current location and plug them directly into you are projector and see if that resolves the issue. Then do the same thing move your receiver within cable length of the projector and run your Source devices through your receiver and then receiver to projector using the shorter cables. Obviously if the receiver works when it's closer to the projector then I would say is an issue with your cables. If your HDMI cables are over 25 ft in length I would suggest using fiber optic HDMI cables Unfortunately they are considerably more expensive but they do use resolve handshake issues but I would rule out the receiver first. If you put a temporary table underneath your projector you should be able to reach it with 6 foot HDMI cables from your receiver

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FURUI-HD...ws_feature_div

This is the cable I use. There are some cheaper options on Amazon.

post #68 of 85 Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I will try the source and then AVR closer to the projector with a shorter cable and report back.

Those cables are pricey! It would be a kick in the groin to spend $800 on a receiver only to have to buy that cable so it works.
post #69 of 85 Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I dissconected everything and moved the source and receiver under the projector. First I tried the source directly hooked to the projector and it worked fine. Then I hooked the source to the receiver and then to the projector. I used a very cheap "4K" HDMI cable. It worked as it should.

I will have to look at getting a better long HDMI cable.

It still acted a little finicky. When starting or stopping a movie/TV show, the projector would momentarly lose input signal. 95% of the time it came back on its own, but the other times I had to select a different receiver mode. I had it on BD/DVD and would have to switch it to CBL/SAT and then back to BD/DVD and it would start showing the picture again.

I have the receiver 4K upscaling turned off, as the projector is 1080P.

At this point I don't know if it is a receiver, projector, cable, or combination of all 3.

I'm not overly impressed with the VSX-LX303 so far.
post #70 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm lost on the issue with using Zone 2 as a "speaker B" option.

Just purchased a LX103 to replace my old VSX-32. It's hooked up to a 7.1 system with rear back speakers and two additional stereo speakers on our patio. Moving the wires over from the VSX-32, I put the zone B (patio) wires on the zone 2 speaker wire connections on the LX103. Zone 2 is enabled in the speaker setup on the LX103. But when Zone 2 is turned on there is no audio from the patio speakers regardless of the source I choose (using either the receiver's remote or the Pioneer smartphone app to choose). So far nothing I've done has gotten a peep out of the patio speakers.

On the VSX-32 this simply worked, regardless of input. I could choose Speakers A, B or A+B and have the sound inside, outside or both. I was really hoping the LX103 could do the same thing, but so far I've had no luck and I don't know specifically what I'm supposed to change to get this working. The explanations/solutions I've found haven't told me specifically what I can do to fix my issue/situation.
post #71 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 193
@tiggertai the lx103 doesn't play any digital sources to zone 2, so you must have analog cable (red/white RCA) connections from your source.

IF you have that already wired properly, then the next step is to try the mcacc setup again, making sure the zone 2 speakers are plugged in.

Good luck!
post #72 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@tiggertai the lx103 doesn't play any digital sources to zone 2, so you must have analog cable (red/white RCA) connections from your source.

IF you have that already wired properly, then the next step is to try the mcacc setup again, making sure the zone 2 speakers are plugged in.

Good luck!
Thank you eriksells916.

It seems like this is a big step back from the earlier Pioneer Receiver I had, which played a separate zone (speaker B) from any source.

My current audio sources are a 4k TV (via HDMI ARC), a PS4 (HDMI), a FireTV 4k stick (HDMI), and phono (from my turntable). The first three have no RCA outs, so that leaves me with only the phono source for zone 2?

What are people plugging in analog (in this day and age, as they say) to play to zone 2?
post #73 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@tiggertai yeaI believe the onkyo rz630 and sister pioneer lx303 are the lowest level receivers from Pionkyo to offer digital sources to zone 2. That has typically been reserved for mid to high level receivers only.

First try the phono to zone 2 and verify it. Hopefully by that time someone else will have responded and can suggest how to convert digital to analog sources, like with a special digital to analog converter or something??
post #74 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I dissconected everything and moved the source and receiver under the projector. First I tried the source directly hooked to the projector and it worked fine. Then I hooked the source to the receiver and then to the projector. I used a very cheap "4K" HDMI cable. It worked as it should.

I will have to look at getting a better long HDMI cable.

It still acted a little finicky. When starting or stopping a movie/TV show, the projector would momentarly lose input signal. 95% of the time it came back on its own, but the other times I had to select a different receiver mode. I had it on BD/DVD and would have to switch it to CBL/SAT and then back to BD/DVD and it would start showing the picture again.

I have the receiver 4K upscaling turned off, as the projector is 1080P.

At this point I don't know if it is a receiver, projector, cable, or combination of all 3.

I'm not overly impressed with the VSX-LX303 so far.

So a little bit of satisfaction. I purchased a 50' 4K HDMI cable. It is longer than I need by about 15' but it was the only one local and wasn't too expensive. $50 CAD.

Now with the 50' cable everything seems to be working smoothly so far on all sources and outputs.
post #75 of 85 Old 07-26-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So a little bit of satisfaction. I purchased a 50' 4K HDMI cable. It is longer than I need by about 15' but it was the only one local and wasn't too expensive. $50 CAD.

Now with the 50' cable everything seems to be working smoothly so far on all sources and outputs.
Well that is good news

post #76 of 85 Old 07-28-2019, 11:34 AM

one more issue - sound from hdmi arc requires fiddling with input knob on lx103

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@tiggertai yeaI believe the onkyo rz630 and sister pioneer lx303 are the lowest level receivers from Pionkyo to offer digital sources to zone 2. That has typically been reserved for mid to high level receivers only.

First try the phono to zone 2 and verify it. Hopefully by that time someone else will have responded and can suggest how to convert digital to analog sources, like with a special digital to analog converter or something??
Again thanks for your helpful advice. It looks like the lx503 is the cheapest model that has hdmi to zone 2 functionality, so I'm returning the lx103 in favor of the better model. the 503 also adds earc, more power, etc...

One more question: On the current setup with the lg 4k tv sending arc audio via hdmi to the arc out on the back of the lx103, we're having an issue I can't figure out. Often, when we turn the tv and receiver on, and the receiver is already set to "TV" (the arc source), there is no sound. Sometimes if we wait 10 or more seconds the sounds comes on, but often it never does UNLESS we turn the input knob on the receiver to a different input and then back again to TV - then it typically starts working. Have tried earc on/off on the tv setup, but that makes no difference. Is there a setting the might fix this? When it works it works and sounds great, but it's annoying to have to fiddle with inputs (back and forth) to get the main one working.

Note that this is an issue regardless of whether our setup is 1.) all peripherals plugged into the hdmi inputs on the tv with just arc going to the receiver, or 2.) all peripherals plugged into the hdmi inputs on the receiver. In either case the arc to receiver has this issue.

Maybe upgrading to the lx503 will fix this?

Last edited by tiggertai; 07-28-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #77 of 85 Old 07-28-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@tiggertai I think that is either going to be handshake issues with the wrong device being started first. Or cec control from the tv trying to control the power of the devices? Try turning off cec on the tv first.
post #78 of 85 Old 09-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I wonder if anyone can give me any insight, still kind of new to home audio.

Was messing with the LX103 after getting it back from warranty work for a buzzy power supply, and I can't seem to get surround to work from some sources.

Setup is Roku Ultra -> LX103 -> Samsung Q6 and the LX-103 to 5.1 speakers. Receiver was recalibrated with mic after getting it back, so I know it is pumping out to all channels.

Been testing with YouTube because I can find a lot of 5.1 test videos. However, I only get sound on the front channels. Pushing the SURR button to cycle through the modes doesn't seem to help. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
post #79 of 85 Old 09-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Never mind, after more testing, it seems YouTube doesn't support 5.1. Not sure why people host these test videos on there.

Any suggestions for a surround test source so I can ensure each channel is functioning correctly?
post #80 of 85 Old 09-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz_VPI View Post
Never mind, after more testing, it seems YouTube doesn't support 5.1. Not sure why people host these test videos on there.

Any suggestions for a surround test source so I can ensure each channel is functioning correctly?
Do you have Netflix installed on your Roku? Tons of DD+ 5.1 content on there.

Failing that, grab one of the test videos here and play directly on your roku via usb or stream via network:
https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

If you're testing I'd put it on Pure Direct mode (not sure if that exists with LX-103.....I have the LX-303)
post #81 of 85 Old 09-28-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Simple question for Pio receiver owners:

Reflex Optimizer ON or OFF ?

I find it kind of distracting.. If I could adjust it, like I can Motion smoothing on TV then maybe I would use it more. But if you're only giving me the option to turn it on or off, then I'm kinda gonna have to just leave it off for now...
post #82 of 85 Old 10-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sub Issue with Pioneer VSX-LX303

Hi guys, I just set up a new Pioneer VSX-LX303 in a 2.1 configuration with a new Dayton SUB-1500 and I'm getting close to nothing out of it. I did the Pioneer setup and when it tested the sub, it was loud. When playing music or TV it's non existent... Any help is appreciated! Thanks
post #83 of 85 Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Are you using a sound mode that use bass management?
post #84 of 85 Old 10-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do you have it hooked up with LFE or Line level with your speakers?
post #85 of 85 Old 10-14-2019, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Disc playback hiccups - Pioneer LX303

I debated if this should go in the Blu-ray player forum, but I never experienced issues prior to adding the new receiver to the mix. I also have an issue with the receiver while streaming from my TV.

I have a TCL 4 series Roku TV, Samsung K8500 4k player, and the Pioneer LX303 receiver. As I said, everything was perfect prior to this receiver being added.

About half of non-4k discs and a couple of 4k discs will have the screen go to the screen like it does not have a signal, audio stops, and after a second, it all pops back like nothing happened. This might happen once during the whole playback. This might happen a half dozen times. As I said, it might not happen at all.

I also noticed when trying to stream from my TCL, 99% of the time things are fine. Streaming from Vudu (in laws account) streaming the 4k version of Far From Home was having this weird thing where the receiver kept blinking like it couldn't decide what kind of audio format to use. The video part worked fine.

I have the Monoprice cables designed for 4k Playback. Is this a sign I have a slightly faulty cable or is it possible I have faulty receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page