2018 Pioneer LX303 & LX103 - Dolby Atmos / DTS:X / Dolby Vision / HLG - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 05-10-2018, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,580
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
2018 Pioneer Elite LX303 & LX103 9-Ch/7-Ch - Dolby Atmos / DTS:X / Dolby Vision / HLG

VSX-LX303


https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...vers/VSX-LX303

  • 9.2-Channel AV Receiver
  • Dolby Atmos®/Dolby Surround Upmixing
  • Powered Zone 2/Zone 3 Audio
  • Supports pass-through for HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision signals
  • 100 W/ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, 2ch Driven, FTC)
  • 200 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10 %, 1ch Driven)


DSP Engine
Digital Quad-Core 32-bit DSP (Cirrus Logic) + Aureus™ Floating-Point DSP (TI)


Audio DACs
384 kHz/32-bit D/A Conversion with AK4458 (AKM) & PCM5101 (TI)

MCACC Auto Room Tuning
Create the optimum acoustic environment with Pioneer’s MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System), developed with the expertise of professional recording studios. With the custom microphone, the system automatically compensates for differences in speaker size, level and distance, and equalizes response.


VSX-LX301


https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...vers/VSX-LX103

  • 7.2-Channel AV Receiver
  • Dolby Atmos®/Dolby Surround Upmixing
  • DTS:X®/DTS Neural:X Upmixing
  • Supports pass-through for HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision signals
  • 80 W/ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, 2ch Driven, FTC)
  • 170 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10 %, 1ch Driven)

The VSX-LX103 is compatible with 5.2.2ch configuration of the latest theater sound platform, Dolby Atmos®. You can reproduce object-oriented sound in smooth, curving movements, or the realistic three-dimensional movement overhead by the top speakers. Other audio codecs including DTS formats can now be upmixed using Dolby Surround for enjoying 3D surround sound.

Audio DACs
384 kHz/32-bit D/A Conversion with AK4458 (AKM)

4K 60p Ultra HD Passthrough

Yes (HDR10, Dolby Vision Compatible)

Last edited by Rieper; 05-10-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Rieper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 85 Old 06-01-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,580
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Finally got the LX303 in hand. Will be setting it up today and testing it throughout the weekend. Especially interested in how it sounds now that Onkyo has taken over the Pioneer Elite brand. I’ve always been fond of the slight warmness of previous Elite receivers. My current Yamaha A3060 sounds more neutral so will be comparing both. Will also be testing Dolby Vision pass thru via the Oppo 203 & LG E6. As well as any annoying quirks/bug such as handshake issues with consoles (Xbox One X/PS4) and Apple 4K TV. And of course, will test out the MCACC Auto Room Tuning.

More to come...

Zoland2020 likes this.
Rieper is offline  
post #3 of 85 Old 06-01-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Look forward to it Rieper! On the fence now with all the new goodies from Onkyo....the TX-NR787, RZ-730 and this LX303.
eriksells916 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 85 Old 06-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I haven't seen anything about an earc update is there not going to be one?
Rick Shaheen is offline  
post #5 of 85 Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,580
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shaheen View Post
I haven't seen anything about an earc update is there not going to be one?
I returned my LX303 due to a defective fan inside, horrible coil whine.

After the return processed I noticed Pioneer’s website listed the new LX503 so I decided to order it. Should arrive tomorrow.
Rieper is offline  
post #6 of 85 Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Flash330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That's great but I was asking if anyone knew if pioneer said there would be an earc update like its competitors.
Flash330 is offline  
post #7 of 85 Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Member
 
rgould1669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lisle IL
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked this 303 up yesterday . Replaced my pioneer SC85. I still like the power of the D amps in the 85 but the 303 sounds excellent. I like that it has DTS X and DV. Picked up a samsung Q6 82” tv same time. Also replaced my back surrounds with B&W 686 s2
rgould1669 is offline  
post #8 of 85 Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgould1669 View Post
Just picked this 303 up yesterday . Replaced my pioneer SC85. I still like the power of the D amps in the 85 but the 303 sounds excellent. I like that it has DTS X and DV. Picked up a samsung Q6 82” tv same time. Also replaced my back surrounds with B&W 686 s2
I just ordered one today to replace my aging vs03. Hope I made the right choice. Couldn't justify the cost increase of the 503. I'll check back when I get it dialed in.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Geezer is offline  
post #9 of 85 Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VisionxOrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash330 View Post
That's great but I was asking if anyone knew if pioneer said there would be an earc update like its competitors.
@jdsm oothe, Do you have any info on what onkyo/pioneer is doing about eARC these newly released 2018 models?

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
VisionxOrb is offline  
post #10 of 85 Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OK some questions. Since the manual is on a PDF I don't have it printed out yet while I set this thing up. I did the speaker setup but I want to change some of the volume settings (levels) of some of my 7 speakers but I don't see that option, only EQ settings. Also, the setup asked me to save 3 placement settings but how do I switch between them? I'm sure after I read the manual I will understand the surround sound settings but it is not very intuitive right now. Also, my old VSX03 had a manual adjustment to sync the lips to the sound of all sources. Is this still possible? My TV does some strange processing & delays the output.
Finally, I have my Firestick in the 4th position but the remote doesn't have a button for that input. Do I have to use the arrow key every time? I use a Harmony so a input assignment would work but it only offers me HDMI 1-3
Lastly, the volume (attenuation) is showing -17 as the comfortable starting level but it used to be -26. Is there something I can do to boost the source level? The reason I ask is there is not much room for fine tuning when you start at -17 from all sources.
Thanks for any replies. My first impression is this unit is a downgrade from what I had with my 10 year old model. Looking at the remotes you can see a lot of options are missing. Maybe I'm just tired?
Geezer is offline  
post #11 of 85 Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
OK some questions. Since the manual is on a PDF I don't have it printed out yet while I set this thing up. I did the speaker setup but I want to change some of the volume settings (levels) of some of my 7 speakers but I don't see that option, only EQ settings. Also, the setup asked me to save 3 placement settings but how do I switch between them? I'm sure after I read the manual I will understand the surround sound settings but it is not very intuitive right now. Also, my old VSX03 had a manual adjustment to sync the lips to the sound of all sources. Is this still possible? My TV does some strange processing & delays the output.
Finally, I have my Firestick in the 4th position but the remote doesn't have a button for that input. Do I have to use the arrow key every time? I use a Harmony so a input assignment would work but it only offers me HDMI 1-3
Lastly, the volume (attenuation) is showing -17 as the comfortable starting level but it used to be -26. Is there something I can do to boost the source level? The reason I ask is there is not much room for fine tuning when you start at -17 from all sources.
Thanks for any replies. My first impression is this unit is a downgrade from what I had with my 10 year old model. Looking at the remotes you can see a lot of options are missing. Maybe I'm just tired?
Ok I discovered the av adjust button on the remote so some of my questions were answered. Sorry for going off half cocked. I could still use a few pointers as the calibration thinks my sub is 70 feet away!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Geezer is offline  
post #12 of 85 Old 07-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone got this AVR to work with a Harmony remote? Inputs won't switch.
Geezer is offline  
post #13 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
velocci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi all, for the 303 model, it has a 750 watt power supply and uses 70 watts for no sound, giving it 680 watts. If i put the avr in 7.1 mode, will each channel get 97 watts (680/7) or will each channel get 75 watts (680/9)? Also, are the pre-outs for zone 2 only? I cant add another amp later on to gain more power for my HT?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
velocci is offline  
post #14 of 85 Old 09-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Member
 
MisterPinst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a LX303 but I have a question that I was hoping someone can answer.

I'm a console gamer (Ps4/xbox) and am sensitive to input lag. Does anyone know if this receiver adds any lag? Let's assume that I've disabled all upscaling, super sampling, and OSD as outlined on page 101 in the manual.

Would be thrilled if anyone who is playing games on this (particularly shooters, etc) has any experiences to share!
MisterPinst is offline  
post #15 of 85 Old 09-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Newbie
 
jimhong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pacific Time Zone
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer VSX-LX303 Firmware Update Problems

Hi there,

I just unboxed and setup this receiver. It generally seems to be working fine, and the primary reason I got it (4K HDR Dolby Vision) looks great.

However, I've been trying to update the firmware so that I can use the "Works with Sonos" features, but it does not want to update. It will not enable either "Update via Network" or "Update via USB" or even when I go to my computer and hit the IP address.

Anyone know how to make this work? I'm really hoping I don't need to send it back.

Thanks,
Jim
jimhong is offline  
post #16 of 85 Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
jimhong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pacific Time Zone
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhong View Post
Hi there,

I just unboxed and setup this receiver. It generally seems to be working fine, and the primary reason I got it (4K HDR Dolby Vision) looks great.

However, I've been trying to update the firmware so that I can use the "Works with Sonos" features, but it does not want to update. It will not enable either "Update via Network" or "Update via USB" or even when I go to my computer and hit the IP address.

Anyone know how to make this work? I'm really hoping I don't need to send it back.

Thanks,
Jim
Seems like the firmware got jammed up during the initial setup. Doing a factory reset has enabled all of the disabled features, looks like.
jimhong is offline  
post #17 of 85 Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not much discussion here...

I'm replacing my old Elite VSX-21 with an Elite VSX-LX103... I can't tell from then manual, can the video scaler be turned off or on? Or is it always on? I want my HDMI sources to pass through and let the TV deal with it.
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #18 of 85 Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
dallows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Not much discussion here...

I'm replacing my old Elite VSX-21 with an Elite VSX-LX103... I can't tell from then manual, can the video scaler be turned off or on? Or is it always on? I want my HDMI sources to pass through and let the TV deal with it.
Just bought and setup the LX103, the video scaler can be turned off.
Mark_Venture likes this.

Last edited by dallows; 10-17-2018 at 01:53 PM.
dallows is offline  
post #19 of 85 Old 10-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks, I picked one up and set it up too... a few things that I'm still working on...

1. It seems that if I want to use ARC, I must enable CEC. BUT with this on, if I try to use "pass through" with my cable box, the receiver still turns on. i.e. I would expect with pass through enabled, I could turn on the cable box and TV only and still watch TV without the receiver powering up. Unfortunately with CEC on, when I turn on TV and Cable box, the receiver turns itself on (or there is a signal from the cable box or tv doing it). However if I turn off CEC, pass through works as expected, the receiver stays off. Unfortunately ARC doesn't work then I wish I could have both Pass Through and ARC without the receiver turning on when I only want to watch cable box.

2. there is no option on the remote to directly select Streambox, HDMI 5 or 6 from remote. There is no dedicated button on the remote, and when I select VSX-LX103 when setting up my Harmony, there isn't an option. Does one of the past models have a button(s) that is compatible that I could copy?

3. because of #2 , I was hoping as a work around to remap/label TV as Streambox, HDMI 5 or 6, and use the remote's TV button on the remote to switch to that input. But either its not possible or I haven't figured it out yet.


4. This receiver is supposed to support TrueHD, but the OSD never seems to report that as the audio type. Not sure if that is normal. if it should show PCM, or something else, or should it actually say TrueHD?

As for sound and the "nothing fancy" that I do... its great!

EDIT: #2 and #3 solved by using Pioneer VSX LX303 from the Harmony database which does have those dedicated buttons!!!

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 10-18-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #20 of 85 Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
dallows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Thanks, I picked one up and set it up too... a few things that I'm still working on...

1. It seems that if I want to use ARC, I must enable CEC. BUT with this on, if I try to use "pass through" with my cable box, the receiver still turns on. i.e. I would expect with pass through enabled, I could turn on the cable box and TV only and still watch TV without the receiver powering up. Unfortunately with CEC on, when I turn on TV and Cable box, the receiver turns itself on (or there is a signal from the cable box or tv doing it). However if I turn off CEC, pass through works as expected, the receiver stays off. Unfortunately ARC doesn't work then I wish I could have both Pass Through and ARC without the receiver turning on when I only want to watch cable box.

2. there is no option on the remote to directly select Streambox, HDMI 5 or 6 from remote. There is no dedicated button on the remote, and when I select VSX-LX103 when setting up my Harmony, there isn't an option. Does one of the past models have a button(s) that is compatible that I could copy?

3. because of #2 , I was hoping as a work around to remap/label TV as Streambox, HDMI 5 or 6, and use the remote's TV button on the remote to switch to that input. But either its not possible or I haven't figured it out yet.

4. This receiver is supposed to support TrueHD, but the OSD never seems to report that as the audio type. Not sure if that is normal. if it should show PCM, or something else, or should it actually say TrueHD?

As for sound and the "nothing fancy" that I do... its great!
Can't help with #1 since I don't use ARC.

2. I noticed this as well, you'll see under the top input buttons there is a left and right arrow, those also switch between the inputs so I think you need to use those to select the others.

3. I would imagine the remote is hard-coded to those inputs even though you can change the labeling in the setup.

4. What's your output device set to PCM or Bitstream?
I haven't got to this point yet, but I was sort of reading through the manual on the same topic. I think once my TV is here and setup (hopefully tonight), I'll pop in a movie and start messing with that. It could be that unless it detects that audio source it won't let you change it. I did notice that on the remote you can cycle through the different audio options on the bottom buttons, with SURR cycling through the different DTS modes. So maybe it's under there.

You could also try setting it to direct or pure direct (Auto/Direct button, Pure Direct disabled the MCACC) and then playing a movie with TrueHD or DTS-HD Master and see what pops up on the actual receiver display.

But again, I haven't started messing with that yet.

Last edited by dallows; 10-17-2018 at 04:08 PM.
dallows is offline  
post #21 of 85 Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post
2. I noticed this as well, you'll see under the top input buttons there is a left and right arrow, those also switch between the inputs so I think you need to use those to select the others.
Right, but when I have a button/action setup on the Harmony for "watch FireTV" that turns the TV on and sets its input, and the receiver on, and I want it to set the input to StreamBox... having to use the remote's right and left arrows to page through inputs, isn't exactly as easy as when the receiver input has a dedicated remote button for the input... I wonder if one of the remotes for the older model receivers have an HDMI 5 or HDMI 6 button on them that could be copied? That would make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post
3. I would imagine the remote is hard-coded to those inputs even though you can change the labeling in the setup.
Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of too.. but seeing as I can't seem to remap at all, that shoots any ability to test

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post
4. What's your output device set to PCM or Bitstream?
I haven't got to this point yet, but I was sort of reading through the manual on the same topic. I think once my TV is here and setup (hopefully tonight), I'll pop in a movie and start messing with that. It could be that unless it detects that audio source it won't let you change it. I did notice that on the remote you can cycle through the different audio options on the bottom buttons, with SURR cycling through the different DTS modes. So maybe it's under there.

You could also try setting it to direct or pure direct (Auto/Direct button, Pure Direct disabled the MCACC) and then playing a movie with TrueHD or DTS-HD Master and see what pops up on the actual receiver display.

But again, I haven't started messing with that yet.
I have to look and see if there are settings for that in my Sony UBP-X800 player. Its set for factory defaults, with most everythning set to auto... the receiver does show PCM 7.1 as the audio's input... so I'll have to keep playing.. I'm not sure if the receiver should actually state "TrueHD" or such. Either way it still sounds great.

but I'm also fighting what seems to be HDMI cable issues (either due to length, or quality), so for now the receiver is set as-is and will stay that way for a bit...
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #22 of 85 Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
dallows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Right, but when I have a button/action setup on the Harmony for "watch FireTV" that turns the TV on and sets its input, and the receiver on, and I want it to set the input to StreamBox... having to use the remote's right and left arrows to page through inputs, isn't exactly as easy as when the receiver input has a dedicated remote button for the input... I wonder if one of the remotes for the older model receivers have an HDMI 5 or HDMI 6 button on them that could be copied? That would make it easier.
Wait, what? If you're using a Harmony remote it should be configured to do all of that when you press the "Watch FireTV" button. It should turn on the devices, set the inputs, etc. You shouldn't have to change anything after that. It's kinda the whole point of using a universal remote like the Harmony. Which remote do you have?

Quote:
I have to look and see if there are settings for that in my Sony UBP-X800 player. Its set for factory defaults, with most everythning set to auto... the receiver does show PCM 7.1 as the audio's input... so I'll have to keep playing.. I'm not sure if the receiver should actually state "TrueHD" or such. Either way it still sounds great.

but I'm also fighting what seems to be HDMI cable issues (either due to length, or quality), so for now the receiver is set as-is and will stay that way for a bit...
Here's what I read up on yesterday. If you set the device, say the blu-ray player to output LCM, then the player is doing all the audio decoding and sending the signal to the receiver. The receiver will just read it and output and normal. Only when you set the player to Bitstream will the receiver do the decoding and it will light up "TrueHD" on the front panel.
dallows is offline  
post #23 of 85 Old 10-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post
Wait, what? If you're using a Harmony remote it should be configured to do all of that when you press the "Watch FireTV" button. It should turn on the devices, set the inputs, etc. You shouldn't have to change anything after that. It's kinda the whole point of using a universal remote like the Harmony. Which remote do you have?
Correct. BUT the harmony database for the LX103 doesn't have a remote "button" to select the StreamBox, HDMI 5 or HDMI6 inputs directly... Nor does the LX103's physical remote have them for the harmony to learn them, So I can't select that input in the activity....

I was trying to figure out how to create a button on the Harmony (665 or 700) that allows me to replicate the process of hitting GAME then NextInput (which would get me to Stream Box), or such. Their online help outlines something that doesn't match their software screens. If I try this -> https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...list#myharmony it results in wanting to learn the button from an existing remote. In fact everything I've found only wants to learn the button from an existing remote it doesn't allow me to learn a two button sequence.

I just realized that if I open the ACTIVITY of "Watch FireTV" and select Customize this activity... I can send the extra command of "next input"... So the Activity is now set for GAME as the receiver's input, and then as the last command of that activity it sends "next input"

Unfortunately that doesn't work as it sends the "next input" command repeatedly. Not just once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post
Here's what I read up on yesterday. If you set the device, say the blu-ray player to output LCM, then the player is doing all the audio decoding and sending the signal to the receiver. The receiver will just read it and output and normal. Only when you set the player to Bitstream will the receiver do the decoding and it will light up "TrueHD" on the front panel.
COOL!! that gives me something to look for.

Unfortunately my Sony's menu allows for AUTO or PCM. Its set AUTO. I don't see a setting to force Bitstream.. will have to dig into the manual.
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #24 of 85 Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[QUOTE=Mark_Venture;56980160]Correct. BUT the harmony database for the LX103 doesn't have a remote "button" to select the StreamBox, HDMI 5 or HDMI6 inputs directly... Nor does the LX103's physical remote have them for the harmony to learn them, So I can't select that input in the activity....

I was trying to figure out how to create a button on the Harmony (665 or 700) that allows me to replicate the process of hitting GAME then NextInput (which would get me to Stream Box), or such. Their online help outlines something that doesn't match their software screens. If I try this -> https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...list#myharmony it results in wanting to learn the button from an existing remote. In fact everything I've found only wants to learn the button from an existing remote it doesn't allow me to learn a two button sequence.

I just realized that if I open the ACTIVITY of "Watch FireTV" and select Customize this activity... I can send the extra command of "next input"... So the Activity is now set for GAME as the receiver's input, and then as the last command of that activity it sends "next input"

Unfortunately that doesn't work as it sends the "next input" command repeatedly. Not just once.


I have the 303 & was able to assign my Firestick to the 5 or 6 input (I can't remember) in the setup. I have the Harmony One with the desktop software. Maybe you can try setting up again using my model # ?
Geezer is offline  
post #25 of 85 Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I have the 303 & was able to assign my Firestick to the 5 or 6 input (I can't remember) in the setup. I have the Harmony One with the desktop software. Maybe you can try setting up again using my model # ?
Thank you!! I just checked, and the Pioneer VSX LX303 in Harmony's database DOES have dedicated buttons for HDMI 5, HDMI 6 and StreamBox inputs, and they work!!

I appreciate it!!
Geezer likes this.
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #26 of 85 Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
dallows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Thank you!! I just checked, and the Pioneer VSX LX303 in Harmony's database DOES have dedicated buttons for HDMI 5, HDMI 6 and StreamBox inputs, and they work!!

I appreciate it!!
That's interesting but I'm glad you have a workaround. I use a harmony hub with the app on my phone and no issues with the buttons, I see everything.
dallows is offline  
post #27 of 85 Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sorry, I need some more help... I'm struggling with the HDMI Passthru and ARC...

My setup is all HDMI video components (Sony UDP-X800 Bluray, FireTV Cube, and Comcast cable box) running into Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103, and out of the Pioneer to the Sony XBR65X900F TV.

I want to setup two actions/activities on my Harmony 665 remote. First being "Watch TV" which turns on only the cable box and TV, and uses the TV's internal speakers and the receiver's HDMI passthru function, which is fine for normal TV programs and such. The second being "Watch TV w/Surround" that would turn on the TV, Cable Box, and Receiver and use the Receiver and its speakers for when we want to watch movies or sports with surround sound.

With Bravia Sync on in the TV, and the Pioneer's HDMI options of HDMI CEC On, HDMI Standby Through Auto, ARC Auto, the receiver turns on anytime the TV does, and the TV detects the external audio and disables its speakers. In other words, this is fine for "watch TV w/surround" but doesn't work for "watch TV" (with the receiver off, using HDMI passthru).

If I turn off Bravia sync in the TV OR change the Pioneer's HDMI settings to HDMI CEC OFF, HDMI Standby CBL/SAT, the receiver stays off and passthru works for the "Watch TV" action. Unfortunately when Bravia Sync is off and I use "Watch TV w/Surround", the TV doesn't auto-detect that the receiver is powered on to turn off the TV's speakers for me (and I have to manually either volume down the TV, or use the TV menu to switch to external audio), so "Watch TV w/Surround" doesn't work well. Also, set with the receiver's HDMI CEC off, ARC doesn't work (ARC is needed for watching movies with the TV's built in Vudu app since the FireTV doesn't have one, and the UDP-X800's vudu app doesn't support UHD) .

Any tips on how I should set this up?
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #28 of 85 Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a lx103 and trying to figure out some stuff with my PQ65-f1. I've seen some users report that this tv will pass atmos over ARC, but i'm not seeing it on the receiver. Will this receiver show Atmos on the front panel even if atmos speakers are not present?
Nathan Kofahl is offline  
post #29 of 85 Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Kofahl View Post
I have a lx103 and trying to figure out some stuff with my PQ65-f1. I've seen some users report that this tv will pass atmos over ARC, but i'm not seeing it on the receiver. Will this receiver show Atmos on the front panel even if atmos speakers are not present?
Answering my own question. Unless 5.1.2 is selected in the speaker configuration the front panel will not show Atmos as the input mode. The remote app also doesn't show atmos in unless 5.1.2 is set in speaker configuration.
Nathan Kofahl is offline  
post #30 of 85 Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Typical Volume Setting Question Pioneer VSX-LX303

Hi - just purchased Pioneer VSX-LX303, set everything up, ran MCACC, etc. I have Def Tech 1000 system (5.1) and I feel like the volume output is low. I have to turn the volume to -10 to -20 for normal listening. I thought at these levels it would be very loud. I'm on my second unit because I thought the first one had an issue... but I guess this is okay?

I'm comparing to my VSX-43 receiver and once I turned that up to 50-60% volume it would hurt your ears. On this new AVR I'm at 70-80% and doesn't seem that loud.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by briang2408; 11-26-2018 at 03:35 PM.
briang2408 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off