Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #361 of 623 Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCTuba View Post
Can someone tell me if this is the cheapest A/V receiver that supports 9 channels and eARC? Also, when using eARC, does the receiver display still show what audio is being played (DTS, Dolby Surround, Atmos, etc.)? Thanks.
It is definitely one of the cheapest 9.2ch AVRs with eARC, especially when it goes on sale for $550 at Frys. The Onkyo RZ830 is also 9.2ch and supports eARC and is priced pretty close (which one is cheaper varies depending on sales).

The display will show what audio format is being played if you press the info button (it is not the default display).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 623 Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphelps View Post
No, there is no way to do what you want as levels are considered to be calibration elements.

Fact of the matter is you need to replace whatever device has faulty levels.

All devices should utilize all the speakers properly. You can set volume offsets per input (so that all inputs have the same relative volume from input to input), but that changes the volume for all speakers consistently based upon calibration.
No, nothing has a faulty level. When I listen to cable I don't want my subwoofer blasting like when I'm the movie fury . When listening to music I don't want my surrounds or tops near as loud as watching movies. Didn't think it was that odd of a feature. Older onkyos had it, as well as every Denon I've ever had. Pretty sure my Harman kardon has it as well. But thanks for the reply. Guess the 787 is going back
post #363 of 623 Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Everything is going to a "reference standard" setup on most receivers. For what you want, start looking at receivers at $2500 or more, you might find those features.

Honestly, if your cable box is blasting the subs (ie, has excessively EQ'd the bass region) then it most certainly sounds like a problem with that device. I have not seen a settop box that has done that myself, and are you sure you don't have a tone or bass setting on the cable box? And if not, then that means you configured the receiver to be bass heavy to begin with.

If you don't want the surrounds/tops overly loud than don't configure them as loud in the setup.

Sounds like you want certain setups for certain things and other setups for other things, which are all far from "reference standard" as the baseline.

If a system is setup properly, and you have good equipment, then you shouldn't need to accentuate anything anywhere. I wanted a little more bass on my setup and a little more laid-back midrange, so I used the built-in EQ and made those changes. I cannot remember if they saved which EQ for which input, but I am pretty sure it did. THAT is what you should strive for (and what they account for).

To change surround/top levels drastically based upon input is not what the designers (or most other people, ie, their primary consumers) would ever even think of doing. Honestly, they allow multiple different listening modes, find one that works without needing the change levels. Personally I end up using "direct" modes for stereo listening which removes all surround/top speakers altogether.

To expect a puristic playback device to fix the problems with all your other devices is kinda strange, or at least you should fully expect to pay more for such functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 623 Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphelps View Post
Everything is going to a "reference standard" setup on most receivers. For what you want, start looking at receivers at $2500 or more, you might find those features.

Honestly, if your cable box is blasting the subs (ie, has excessively EQ'd the bass region) then it most certainly sounds like a problem with that device. I have not seen a settop box that has done that myself, and are you sure you don't have a tone or bass setting on the cable box? And if not, then that means you configured the receiver to be bass heavy to begin with.

If you don't want the surrounds/tops overly loud than don't configure them as loud in the setup.

Sounds like you want certain setups for certain things and other setups for other things, which are all far from "reference standard" as the baseline.

If a system is setup properly, and you have good equipment, then you shouldn't need to accentuate anything anywhere. I wanted a little more bass on my setup and a little more laid-back midrange, so I used the built-in EQ and made those changes. I cannot remember if they saved which EQ for which input, but I am pretty sure it did. THAT is what you should strive for (and what they account for).

To change surround/top levels drastically based upon input is not what the designers (or most other people, ie, their primary consumers) would ever even think of doing. Honestly, they allow multiple different listening modes, find one that works without needing the change levels. Personally I end up using "direct" modes for stereo listening which removes all surround/top speakers altogether.

To expect a puristic playback device to fix the problems with all your other devices is kinda strange, or at least you should fully expect to pay more for such functionality.
It's just a trim level setting . No need for $2500 equipment. Lol . The tx nr787 has a trim for the sub and center, just not for the other channels. So with the pioneer being so similar to the onkyo's I didn't feel that it was that odd of a question. The difference between the 787 and almost every other receiver that I've used is that it is limited to only the the sub and center, and doesn't save per input. If it's such a terrible thing to want to adjust the levels for different content, them why does Onkyo have a trim setting for the sub and center without going into the test tone calibration menu?None of my receivers have come anywhere close to $2500 and they have all had this feature. Thanks for your opinion
SRussell likes this.
post #365 of 623 Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am streaming Amazon Prime content on an Apple TV 4k via HDMI through the LX-503.
Fixed PCM is set to OFF.
The audio is a half second faster than the video.
How do I get the audio video to sync? Are there adjustments available?
post #366 of 623 Old 03-24-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi All.
I have a 503 and a new Samsung Q6 TV. Is it better to hook up all sources to the Pioneer or the TV. Any advantage to either?
post #367 of 623 Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post
Hi All.
I have a 503 and a new Samsung Q6 TV. Is it better to hook up all sources to the Pioneer or the TV. Any advantage to either?
if you have xbox or gaming its best to go tv first to take advantage of the gaming features, otherwise id go pioneer 1st to get better soound formats.

But hopefully, samsang updates the 2018-19 models to earc like the rumor is stating they will. Then u can go tv 1st for everything and still get top sound formats
Zaxdad likes this.
post #368 of 623 Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello I am new here and a new owner of this reciever and just finished setting up a 5.1.4 atmos setup! It was a dream to build an exceptional home theater and after buying my 77” C8 Oled, I knew I wanted to skip the sound bars and opt for a full fledged setup for a fuller experience. For the front 3, I bought the Pioneer Elite bookshelves and center, for the sub I am using my old one from the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for now, and for the rears I bought a pair of NHT media series satellites for the compact size and convenience of being 2 in 1 (The bookshelves were too large for my space and were recommended to have at least a foot of breathing room and never being wall mounted. I considered SVS elevation but settled on the NHT, as I found a killer price for a pair). I spent a few hours in this thread going over everyone’s issues and resolutions as well as learning up on the system as a whole. I don’t remember reading anything about this: my fronts and center are rated 4ohm, rears at 6 with a minimum 4.5. I ran the auto calibration and it was great but went into the advanced settings as many have advised and saw that the auto settings put the ohm for all speakers to 6. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change each speaker. Is this a big deal? I changed it to 4 ohm’s instead but don’t want to harm my rear surround speakers. Considering my setup, what would you guys suggest I do? I am new to AVS chatter and starting my journey, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #369 of 623 Old 03-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizisboomin View Post
Hello I am new here and a new owner of this reciever and just finished setting up a 5.1.4 atmos setup! It was a dream to build an exceptional home theater and after buying my 77” C8 Oled, I knew I wanted to skip the sound bars and opt for a full fledged setup for a fuller experience. For the front 3, I bought the Pioneer Elite bookshelves and center, for the sub I am using my old one from the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for now, and for the rears I bought a pair of NHT media series satellites for the compact size and convenience of being 2 in 1 (The bookshelves were too large for my space and were recommended to have at least a foot of breathing room and never being wall mounted. I considered SVS elevation but settled on the NHT, as I found a killer price for a pair). I spent a few hours in this thread going over everyone’s issues and resolutions as well as learning up on the system as a whole. I don’t remember reading anything about this: my fronts and center are rated 4ohm, rears at 6 with a minimum 4.5. I ran the auto calibration and it was great but went into the advanced settings as many have advised and saw that the auto settings put the ohm for all speakers to 6. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change each speaker. Is this a big deal? I changed it to 4 ohm’s instead but don’t want to harm my rear surround speakers. Considering my setup, what would you guys suggest I do? I am new to AVS chatter and starting my journey, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I would use 4 ohm setting being as your fronts are 4 ohm. I don't think it will harm your rears.
post #370 of 623 Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just bought this from frys, plan on adding an amp and running 7.1.4,

I watch a lot of 4K content from my Xbox one x and fire tv,

I’m moving from a Yamaha rx683,

I’ve read about all the crossovers having to be set the same, currently on my Yamaha everything is set to 80hz I’m using JBL 210s for atmos and JBL 220s For surrounds, infinity r163 for L/R and the JBL rC263 as center oh and a HSU 15” VTF 15H mk2 sub,

Will this pioneer work well for me?

Also as of this date what issues have not been addressed by firmware updates?
post #371 of 623 Old 03-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Little slow in here, this is still pretty new receiver, and at the value at this price point should be a lot of people buying them and putting money into an amp, rather then paying the denon / Yamaha premiums.
post #372 of 623 Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduffin View Post
I am streaming Amazon Prime content on an Apple TV 4k via HDMI through the LX-503.
Fixed PCM is set to OFF.
The audio is a half second faster than the video.
How do I get the audio video to sync? Are there adjustments available?
Did you ever get that sorted out? Sound timing off irritates me to my limits.
post #373 of 623 Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Got my 503 today, and so far so good, wish I could set my 8ohms speakers to 8ohms instead of 6ohms but oh well.
eriksells916 likes this.
post #374 of 623 Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Is there anyway to dim the front display?
post #375 of 623 Old 04-02-2019, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everyone, just got the 503 from Pioneer via the upgrade program. Upgraded from an sc-71 receiver which still had hdmi 1.4 and issues running a lot of 4k devices.

Now that I'm all setup I just became aware that the zone 2 hdmi out will only allow the hdmi inputs 1-3 to display on the side screen. This is really frustrating, on top of that I can't seem to figure out how to enable/change inputs on zone 2 hdmi from the remote. I can do it using the physical buttons on the receiver yet haven't figured out what to press on the remote to enable the zone 2 output change.

My previous unit had the ability to switch between zones and scroll through inputs on either the main zone or zone 2, is this feature available on this unit from the remote? If not, does anyone know of an older or universal remote with this ability? I have a learning remote and would be happy to just have the feature on that.

Oh finally, in terms of picture quality 4k upscale on or off?
post #376 of 623 Old 04-03-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchedoven View Post
Now that I'm all setup I just became aware that the zone 2 hdmi out will only allow the hdmi inputs 1-3 to display on the side screen. This is really frustrating, on top of that I can't seem to figure out how to enable/change inputs on zone 2 hdmi from the remote. I can do it using the physical buttons on the receiver yet haven't figured out what to press on the remote to enable the zone 2 output change.

My previous unit had the ability to switch between zones and scroll through inputs on either the main zone or zone 2, is this feature available on this unit from the remote?
Hi dutchedoven, see page 99 in OM

At the time of purchase, the remote controller is in the mode to control playback in the main room. To play a source in ZONE 2, set the remote controller to the ZONE control mode (ZONE 2). To control the main room play again, restore the remote controller to the main room control mode.

Using the buttons at bottom of the remote:
1. While pressing and holding MODE, press ZONE 2 at least 3 seconds until the
remote indicator blinks twice.
• The mode of the remote controller switches to the mode to control ZONE 2.
• To restore the main room control mode, while pressing and holding MODE,
press MAIN at least 3 seconds until the remote indicator blinks once.
post #377 of 623 Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post
Hi Hokies83, dimmer button is behind the flap door on the receiver...see page 6-7 in OM.

DIMMER button: You can switch the display off or adjust the brightness of the
display in three steps.
post #378 of 623 Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post
Hi Hokies83, dimmer button is behind the flap door on the receiver...see page 6-7 in OM.

DIMMER button: You can switch the display off or adjust the brightness of the
display in three steps.
Thank you.
post #379 of 623 Old 04-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Does the MCACC set the EQ?
I downloaded the app and it shows my EQ all set to flat with no adjustments?
post #380 of 623 Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

I have the 103 model and I cannot get any HDR or Dolby Vision working from the Apple TV 4K. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? My tv is the TCL R617. I have updated the firmware, etc.
post #381 of 623 Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone, just got the 503 from Pioneer via the upgrade program. Upgraded from an sc-71 receiver which still had hdmi 1.4 and issues running a lot of 4k devices.

My previous unit had the ability to switch between zones and scroll through inputs on either the main zone or zone 2, is this feature available on this unit from the remote? If not, does anyone know of an older or universal remote with this ability? I have a learning remote and would be happy to just have the feature on that.

What is this Upgrade program you speak of? Anyone have a link?
post #382 of 623 Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
I have the 103 model and I cannot get any HDR or Dolby Vision working from the Apple TV 4K. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? My tv is the TCL R617. I have updated the firmware, etc.
Do a search, I thought I just read in the onkyo 686 forum that apple 4k tv has issues with onkyo, hisense and tcl (roku) tvs. Something has to be turned off in the apple iirc?
post #383 of 623 Old 04-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Do a search, I thought I just read in the onkyo 686 forum that apple 4k tv has issues with onkyo, hisense and tcl (roku) tvs. Something has to be turned off in the apple iirc?
yeah i haven't found anything. if i hook it up straight to the TCL TV it works fine. i have even tried another receiver and sound bar. sounds like it's more the receiver.
post #384 of 623 Old 04-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
yeah i haven't found anything. if i hook it up straight to the TCL TV it works fine. i have even tried another receiver and sound bar. sounds like it's more the receiver.
I found something, but it was regarding dolby vision, the 686 and hisense tv. You had to turn off DV in one of them I think in order to make the video work?
post #385 of 623 Old 04-06-2019, 07:14 PM

Is there a dynamic range setting to increase or decrease?
post #386 of 623 Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlbombs View Post
What is this Upgrade program you speak of? Anyone have a link?

Does anyone have the details for the upgrade program? I have a VSX-LX301 and would like to upgrade to the VSX-LX503.

Video: Sony XBR75X940E
Audio: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 -> Klipsch 5.1.2 | RP-250F | RP-250C | RP-150M | RP-140SA | R-112SW
Inputs: Apple TV 4k | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony Playstation 4 Pro | Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Switch
post #387 of 623 Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The upgrade program was for people that had Pioneer receivers that died due to the UE-22 error. At first they were offering either repair or a discounted upgrade on a current model. I had a SC-1222 that died. HDMI boards for that receiver are no longer available so Pioneer will not repair it. I opted for a discounted VSX-LX503 as I figured that was better than nothing for my dead receiver. I am now considering having the HDMI board repaired by a private entity that can replace the bad chips on the board, I feel the LX503 is a significant downgrade from my 1222. You can read about the UE-22 saga in the thread that is pinned at the top of the first page of the Receivers, Amps and Processors.
Drew Ski likes this.

post #388 of 623 Old 04-10-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
I found something, but it was regarding dolby vision, the 686 and hisense tv. You had to turn off DV in one of them I think in order to make the video work?
i will see if there is a way to do that, but i was really hoping to use Dolby Vision since both the TV and Receiver support it.
post #389 of 623 Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRussell View Post
The upgrade program was for people that had Pioneer receivers that died due to the UE-22 error. At first they were offering either repair or a discounted upgrade on a current model. I had a SC-1222 that died. HDMI boards for that receiver are no longer available so Pioneer will not repair it. I opted for a discounted VSX-LX503 as I figured that was better than nothing for my dead receiver. I am now considering having the HDMI board repaired by a private entity that can replace the bad chips on the board, I feel the LX503 is a significant downgrade from my 1222. You can read about the UE-22 saga in the thread that is pinned at the top of the first page of the Receivers, Amps and Processors.
Yes though I will say I didn't have this error, just a minor issue and asked if they had any offers which led to the upgrade. Though fry's has a promo on this receiver right now that's cheaper vs what I recently paid for the upgrade program.

I'm having a new issue where the receiver will randomly jump to the TV input with no buttons hit (TV input is set to the optical from my TV to my receiver for watching 4k through my TV apps). Has anyone dealt with this and if so what was the fix?
post #390 of 623 Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Do you have HDMI-CEC (kuro-link for Pioneer) turned on? That may be causing it to go to a certain input. For best results all HDMI control should be turned off in all components.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page