Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #421 of 584 Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
So what is difference between standard and enhanced? I have cable and xbox ran thru tv (samsung q70) and reciever connected via arc.

(Sometimes i do switch and run xbox thru receiver then to tv)

Page 64 of the update page's provided PDF explains the modes.
Standard does not handle:
4K (3840×2160p) 24/25/30 Hz ,4K SMPTE (4096×2160p) 24/25/30 Hz - RGB/YCbCr4:4:4 10/12 bit
nor
4K (3840×2160p) 50/60 Hz, 4K SMPTE (4096×2160p) 50/60 Hz - RGB/YCbCr4:4:4 8 bit, YCbCr4:2:2 12 bit, nor YCbCr4:2:0 10/12 bit.

http://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/ma...supple_933.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 584 Old 04-24-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Need some help.

Have Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 that is a couple months old. Have Xbox one x, ps4, apple tv and panny UB820 connected to the back HDMI ports. Also have 2 DirecTV boxes connected via HDMI to the back ports. Was feeding a JVC RS57 front projector. All cables are new and certified 4K. Everything working perfectly.

Today replaced my RS57 with the new Native 4K JVC DLA-NX7 projector. Just a matter of taking down old projector, mounting new projector and plugging in HDMI cable.

Everything working fine EXCEPT no sound from EITHER DirecTV boxes. Picture is fine but no sound. Tested the boxes with same cables on another TV. Good picture and sound. Plugged each box and same cable into the front HDMI aux port on the pioneer elite and good picture and sound. Tried every single input on the back of the receiver with both boxes with same result...good picture, no sound. Everything else (apple tv, ps4, panny player and xbox) all have normal picture and sound from every HDMI port on the back. No sound from either directv box from ANY of the back HDMI ports, only the front AUX port.

Finally hooked up a couple of optical cables and got sound via optical and picture via hdmi.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why I am getting no sound from the 2 HR24 Directv boxes via the back HDMI ports. All I did was swap out projectors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vincent
post #423 of 584 Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Need some help.

Have Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 that is a couple months old. Have Xbox one x, ps4, apple tv and panny UB820 connected to the back HDMI ports. Also have 2 DirecTV boxes connected via HDMI to the back ports. Was feeding a JVC RS57 front projector. All cables are new and certified 4K. Everything working perfectly.

Today replaced my RS57 with the new Native 4K JVC DLA-NX7 projector. Just a matter of taking down old projector, mounting new projector and plugging in HDMI cable.

Everything working fine EXCEPT no sound from EITHER DirecTV boxes. Picture is fine but no sound. Tested the boxes with same cables on another TV. Good picture and sound. Plugged each box and same cable into the front HDMI aux port on the pioneer elite and good picture and sound. Tried every single input on the back of the receiver with both boxes with same result...good picture, no sound. Everything else (apple tv, ps4, panny player and xbox) all have normal picture and sound from every HDMI port on the back. No sound from either directv box from ANY of the back HDMI ports, only the front AUX port.

Finally hooked up a couple of optical cables and got sound via optical and picture via hdmi.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why I am getting no sound from the 2 HR24 Directv boxes via the back HDMI ports. All I did was swap out projectors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vincent
First, did you unplug any hdmi cables while any devices was powered on? There might be handshake issues or setup incompatibility. For example the source is playing uhd or dv and something in the chain is not setup for that?

Or you might need to turn everything off and start over, powering everything back up in order.

good luck!
redtommy76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Aside from IMax Enhanced, is there any real reason to wait to get a newer receiver? I don't think MCACC advanced is something I will care about. With this AVR supporting eARC, it seems about as future proof as I need it to be (since, as far as I can tell, the TV can send the Atmos signal to the AVR if I use the TV's HDMI ports [for whatever HDMI 2.1 TV I end up getting]).

Just looking to get something for Atmos with pre-outs and this (at Frys) seems to be one of the better deals out there and should serve me for a while.
post #425 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
Aside from IMax Enhanced, is there any real reason to wait to get a newer receiver? I don't think MCACC advanced is something I will care about. With this AVR supporting eARC, it seems about as future proof as I need it to be (since, as far as I can tell, the TV can send the Atmos signal to the AVR if I use the TV's HDMI ports [for whatever HDMI 2.1 TV I end up getting]).

Just looking to get something for Atmos with pre-outs and this (at Frys) seems to be one of the better deals out there and should serve me for a while.
Yea damn good deal at Frys right now.

I thought somewhere in this thread one of the owners mentioned that if you cross everything at 80hz then mcacc basic is fine. The only hiccup would be if they incorporated the dual sub control from mcacc pro down into the advanced version for the 304/504, then it might be worth the wait? It could then very competitive against the denon x4400/4500h.

What would be ideal is if Pioneer released a firmware update for mcacc advanced with dual sub control for lx303/503 owners. But since that cuts into the lx304/504 sales, I do not see that happening until 2020, if ever!
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #426 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Yea damn good deal at Frys right now.

I thought somewhere in this thread one of the owners mentioned that if you cross everything at 80hz then mcacc basic is fine. The only hiccup would be if they incorporated the dual sub control from mcacc pro down into the advanced version for the 304/504, then it might be worth the wait? It could then very competitive against the denon x4400/4500h.

What would be ideal is if Pioneer released a firmware update for mcacc advanced with dual sub control for lx303/503 owners. But since that cuts into the lx304/504 sales, I do not see that happening until 2020, if ever!
Perfect!

That is more or less what I was hoping to hear; I will cross everything at 80hz and I have DSP for my subs already. Really looking forward to stepping up to an Atmos setup. I don't think stepping up to the X4500 (or anything 'better'). I think this matches my needs pretty much perfectly (eARC + 11.2 channel processing).
post #427 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perfect!

That is more or less what I was hoping to hear; I will cross everything at 80hz and I have DSP for my subs already. Really looking forward to stepping up to an Atmos setup. I don't think stepping up to the X4500 (or anything 'better'). I think this matches my needs pretty much perfectly (eARC + 11.2 channel processing).
Awesome to hear! Keep us posted on your experience. I have all Integra (pre-hdmi) gear and have never had a hiccup in 15 years but want to jump into this atmos, 4k deal head first. But I think this Pionkyo merger has (me) many others holding their breath just hoping that the QC and hdmi board issues have all been resolved. I mean come on, we have beast 11 channel receivers with full pre-outs (rz730/lx503) in the same price range as 5/7 channel avrs.

Sorry rant over! keep us posted!
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #428 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Awesome to hear! Keep us posted on your experience. I have all Integra (pre-hdmi) gear and have never had a hiccup in 15 years but want to jump into this atmos, 4k deal head first. But I think this Pionkyo merger has (me) many others holding their breath just hoping that the QC and hdmi board issues have all been resolved. I mean come on, we have beast 11 channel receivers with full pre-outs (rz730/lx503) in the same price range as 5/7 channel avrs.

Sorry rant over! keep us posted!
Will do!

Completely understand why people are a bit skeptical (a PITA seems like an understatement for that whole debacle), but I have enough backup gear at the moment that waiting for repairs (probably) won't kill me. Was planning on getting an 830 from Onkyo with the 'call-in' discount a few weeks back, but I spaced out and forgot to call (then it was too late). These Frys deals are crazy (though, even at the non-20% off rate, it still seems like a helluva deal, and I'd still probably end up taking it home).

Absolutely blows my mind that a few years ago getting an 11 channel setup would have cost so much more than it does now (seems to have dropped much faster than most other things like this). Last year Costco had the Yamaha 7810 for ~$400, which only processed 7 channels (though it did have multi-channel pre-outs). Now, you can get roughly 'twice' the features for a "little bit" more (granted Yamaha has a much better rep than Pio/Onkyo).
post #429 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Will do!

Completely understand why people are a bit skeptical (a PITA seems like an understatement for that whole debacle), but I have enough backup gear at the moment that waiting for repairs (probably) won't kill me. Was planning on getting an 830 from Onkyo with the 'call-in' discount a few weeks back, but I spaced out and forgot to call (then it was too late). These Frys deals are crazy (though, even at the non-20% off rate, it still seems like a helluva deal, and I'd still probably end up taking it home).

Absolutely blows my mind that a few years ago getting an 11 channel setup would have cost so much more than it does now (seems to have dropped much faster than most other things like this). Last year Costco had the Yamaha 7810 for ~$400, which only processed 7 channels (though it did have multi-channel pre-outs). Now, you can get roughly 'twice' the features for a "little bit" more (granted Yamaha has a much better rep than Pio/Onkyo).
exactly right, some love onkyo but many more will never go back. Hopefully this will turn into a wise long term investment, like buying a home here in Cali between 2008-2011, bottom of the market when people were giving homes away.
post #430 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So how big of improvement is the the enhanced setting, with a cable box and xbox one x? Is it drastic or a slight, but noticable improvement?

I will probably test for myself this weekend as i have samsung q70. I wish the samsung would patch in earc to simplify my life. I have to either

A. Run xbox thru tv for vrr, allm etc for advanced gaming features, but be limited to dd 5.1 and have receiver upmix to 7.1.4

Or

B. Run thru receiver to get 7.1 pcm or atmos and then lose out on the advanced gaming features.
I switch back n forth every couple weeks lol
post #431 of 584 Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any chance of Pioneer adding pass thru of allm and vrr thru with formware?
post #432 of 584 Old 04-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Not sure how Frys makes any money selling these at 20% off their 'normal' sale price?!? I feel like I robbed them...

Will post impressions as soon as I get everything setup (likely tomorrow; NBA playoffs + Avengers will take up the rest of my day).

I will say, it looks really nice! Hopefully Onkyo/Pioneer have figured their stuff out this time around (I do not recall hearing anything bad about the 303, 503, 630, 730, 830 yet *knocks on wood*).
post #433 of 584 Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First-time posting on this thread and been keeping up with everyone since I purchased my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 about a month ago. Wanted to check in with everyone here that posted regarding their Apple TV and issues with the LX503 outputting Dolby Atmos. Have there been any updates or changes to this issue? Still building out a 7.2.4 system and was looking at cord-cutting and wanting to find the best device for streaming.

I have also noticed issues with Chromecast going in and out when streaming music through my Google Home Group. However, it does seem to work far better than using the native Spotify app on the device, but still flaky at times. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Last edited by xeod; 05-03-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #434 of 584 Old 05-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Not sure how Frys makes any money selling these at 20% off their 'normal' sale price?!? I feel like I robbed them...

Will post impressions as soon as I get everything setup (likely tomorrow; NBA playoffs + Avengers will take up the rest of my day).

I will say, it looks really nice! Hopefully Onkyo/Pioneer have figured their stuff out this time around (I do not recall hearing anything bad about the 303, 503, 630, 730, 830 yet *knocks on wood*).

Welp, never got a chance to set it up until Saturday. So far, I really like it. Originally had my Chane 2.4's (LCR, no other speakers yet, recently moved and trying to figure out where to put the surrounds and the atmos speakers) connected to the AVR and I thought it sounded fine [same as they sounded on every other AVR I have hooked them up to]. Hooked everything up to my Outlaw 7100 on Sunday and everything still sounds the same (good thing), but I have not turned the volume up to high on them yet. FWIW, I have to turn the volume up 'higher' to get the same volume as before (previously used a Yamaha 7810 and a DH770), as far as I know this is common and not an issue. Have not used the MCACC feature yet.

Overall, very please with the unit so far. No ARC/CEC issues (with a C6), looks great, feels extremely well built, plenty of connections, and a simple/easy to navigate OSD/remote/face buttons (both the Yamaha and the Sony were 'sub-par' in my opinion). Definitely would not have been mad about paying the 'full' Frys price for this; eARC should hopefully mean that I won't feel the need to upgrade this for quite some time.

Will try to post a better 'review' when I finally get around to buying and setting up the rest of the speakers (planning on cheap/easy to hang Dayton satellite speakers for Atmos duties to complete a 5.2.4 setup).
post #435 of 584 Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tried to connect some monoprice bluetooth headphones to this unit but it never would pair. My tv found the headphones fine. Wondering if it isn't an ARC issue.
post #436 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
So how big of improvement is the the enhanced setting, with a cable box and xbox one x? Is it drastic or a slight, but noticable improvement?

I will probably test for myself this weekend as i have samsung q70. I wish the samsung would patch in earc to simplify my life. I have to either

A. Run xbox thru tv for vrr, allm etc for advanced gaming features, but be limited to dd 5.1 and have receiver upmix to 7.1.4

Or

B. Run thru receiver to get 7.1 pcm or atmos and then lose out on the advanced gaming features.
I switch back n forth every couple weeks lol
I also game 4k hdr on Xbox one x,
I just run Xbox thru the receiver,
I much prefer the quality audio and better eye candy of non game mode then a little input lag, which I don’t notice anyway,

Only way I’d go for the faster gaming experience is if I was still a pro gamer or something, I much more enjoy the audio and eye candy,
Resident evil 2 remake is fantastic,

Also I’m guessing you downloaded the Dolby app to get atmos from the Xbox one X?
post #437 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirddowndraw View Post
Tried to connect some monoprice bluetooth headphones to this unit but it never would pair. My tv found the headphones fine. Wondering if it isn't an ARC issue.
I paired Sennheiser headphones with no problem. You might want to pair something else and see if there’s a problem with either the TV or the headphones.
post #438 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
I paired Sennheiser headphones with no problem. You might want to pair something else and see if there’s a problem with either the TV or the headphones.
How did you do it because after searching the manual I am starting to think the bluetooth is input only and not output.

If I can connect to my tv while using ARC I suppose it won't matter.
post #439 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 08:14 AM

Does anyone else notice a random clicking noise coming from the receiver every 10-15 mins or so? Like it’s switching formats or something.
post #440 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post
Does anyone else notice a random clicking noise coming from the receiver every 10-15 mins or so? Like it’s switching formats or something.
A similar symptom has been noted on a Onkyo TX-RZ830. The owner returned it for replacement, a faulty unit. The replacement did not have this issue. Hopefully yours is still in warranty.
eriksells916 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #441 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Quote:
A similar symptom has been noted on a Onkyo TX-RZ830. The owner returned it for replacement, a faulty unit. The replacement did not have this issue. Hopefully yours is still in warranty.
Just the factory warranty
post #442 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you saying you can't return to the seller for replacement? In that case I'd contact Pioneer support about a replacement or repair.

post #443 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying you can't return to the seller for replacement? In that case I'd contact Pioneer support about a replacement or repair.
I got it from frys over 30 days ago,
It’s a random click like something is switching off / on every 15-60mins but I’m not changing anything,
Not sure what it is, but nothing seems effected,
But I’ll call pioneer tomorrow.
It would be nice if these company’s had reps to deal with on these forums... sometimes going on the phone with customer service and be a long drawn out nitemare.
post #444 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s a random click like something is switching off / on every 15-60mins but I’m not changing anything,
It would be nice if these company’s had reps to deal with on these forums... sometimes going on the phone with customer service and be a long drawn out nitemare.
Similar to this post in the Onkyo thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57895184

post #445 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Similar to this post in the Onkyo thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57895184
Mine does it even when getting a steady atmos signal,
I’ve been playing resident evil 2 in atmos for 2 hrs and it’s clicked once.
post #446 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine does it even when getting a steady atmos signal,
I’ve been playing resident evil 2 in atmos for 2 hrs and it’s clicked once.
Let us know what Pioneer support has to say about your issue.

post #447 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I had the same issue with the onkyo 830. With cable and apple TV 4k, there was relay clicking, just as you described. So I switched the apple to dd 5.1 instead of lpcm and the clicking stopped. Switched back to lpcm and no more clicking, and it never did it again. Don't know if switching to 5.1 instead of lpcm actually fixed the issue or just a coincidence. But either way mine went back because it also had a loud hiss on all modes but direct. New one doesn't have either of those problems
post #448 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Quote:
I had the same issue with the onkyo 830. With cable and apple TV 4k, there was relay clicking, just as you described. So I switched the apple to dd 5.1 instead of lpcm and the clicking stopped. Switched back to lpcm and no more clicking, and it never did it again. Don't know if switching to 5.1 instead of lpcm actually fixed the issue or just a coincidence. But either way mine went back because it also had a loud hiss on all modes but direct. New one doesn't have either of those problems
I have several devices hooked to it, so it gets anything from a DD 2.0 signal to atmos, I have everything set to 7.2.4 and it to upmix to that,
But no matter the signal it clicks randomly even if it’s been on a channel for hrs, kinda strange,
But I am emailing back and forth with their customer service now,
Wonder what it’s actually doing when it clicks back and forth? Is something shorting our? Getting hot?
It’s in a open we’ll vented area so heat shouldn’t be an issue.
post #449 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Pioneers response. “ it’s normal “
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D4C8643-507B-4379-A95B-909F72C355A0_1557356443942.png
Views:	58
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	2564334  
post #450 of 584 Old 05-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Pioneers response. “ it’s normal “
The 830 did it for about a week or so. Annoying as heck. But after then it only did it at expected times, like changing inputs or something. I'd switch it out anyway, if u can. But who knows, maybe the relays settle down after a bit of use? But never had any other receiver do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page