Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #541 of 560 Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I caved today and bought a Radeon RX 580 graphics card. This works passing 4k through the LX503 receiver. The audio also works with no issues. For the videos I tried the HD audio like DTS-HD which worked with no issues.

In case someone did not read my other posts, the nVidia GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 will not work with the Pioneer with 4k pass-through. Intel 4k video works. I used 3 different PC's with the nVidia cards and could not make any of them work with certified premium cables. In every case the GTX cards were reported as a DVI connection at 1080 maximum resolution.

The receiver will still not work with AT&T's uVerse STB. When I connect the STB through the receiver, the video works but no audio. So I have the STB going directly the LG 65C9, and the ARC works returning the audio to the receiver. Go figure that one out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 560 Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't see a thread about the VSX-LX504 so thought I would post here. I'm comparing the specs and there doesn't seem to be very much different. It looks like the major difference is that the 504 is Imax Enhanced (not sure how important that is). A few other things I see:

504 - 6 HDMI inputs, Imax Enhanced, DTS Neural:X Upmixing, Airplay 2.0, Advanced MCACC, Bluetooth 4.2 (vs. 4.1 on 503)

503 - 7 HDMI inputs, 2 optical audio inputs (vs. 1 on 504)

A few other items that seem like marketing and doubt if they matter. I can't find if the HDMI inputs are 2.0 or 2.1 on the 504. Am I missing anything else important on what the 504 offers over the 503? It looks like the price on the 503 is now 599 vs I'm guessing 999 on the 504. Doubt it is worth paying the higher price unless the 504 does have HDMI 2.1 or the Imax Enhanced label means something.

Would both pass [email protected] 4:4:4? Also do either (or both) handle eARC or just ARC? Thanks!

Last edited by ks_man; 06-16-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #543 of 560 Old 06-16-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Harmony remote

I use a Harmony One to control all of my devices. Set up a NET activity to simulate the NET button on the remote, had to program all the buttons on the Harmony. I select Pandora then a music category. If I don’t like a song I can skip it with the “fast forward button” on the UBK90 remote. Anyone know what button name this is in the Harmony setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 560 Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_man View Post
I didn't see a thread about the VSX-LX504 so thought I would post here. I'm comparing the specs and there doesn't seem to be very much different. It looks like the major difference is that the 504 is Imax Enhanced (not sure how important that is). A few other things I see:

504 - 6 HDMI inputs, Imax Enhanced, DTS Neural:X Upmixing, Airplay 2.0, Advanced MCACC, Bluetooth 4.2 (vs. 4.1 on 503)

503 - 7 HDMI inputs, 2 optical audio inputs (vs. 1 on 504)

A few other items that seem like marketing and doubt if they matter. I can't find if the HDMI inputs are 2.0 or 2.1 on the 504. Am I missing anything else important on what the 504 offers over the 503? It looks like the price on the 503 is now 599 vs I'm guessing 999 on the 504. Doubt it is worth paying the higher price unless the 504 does have HDMI 2.1 or the Imax Enhanced label means something.

Would both pass [email protected] 4:4:4? Also do either (or both) handle eARC or just ARC? Thanks!
IMAX enhanced is a gimmick,
The biggest difference is the THD % 503 is 0.8% and the 504 is 1% higher the thd the sooner the receiver suffers distortion at loud listening levels. Yamaha is 0.6% thd and denon 0.8% that 1% is the worst of the lot,
I don’t know what they were thinking.
post #545 of 560 Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Bought a Bluetooth headphone only to find this receiver will only do receive so headphones are a no go. When I got my full size Amazon’s Echo it was receive only. When the DOT version out it was transmit & receive. Wasn’t long until the older full size got a firmware update which allowed bot transmit & receive.

Any rumors & thoughts on whether this unit might get a similar update.
post #546 of 560 Old 06-19-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good evening everyone, I have a setup question that I thought I would ask after scratching my head and re-reading the manual on my setup.

I have the 503 and currently, have it set up as a 5.1.2 using the Height 1 (terminals - per page 48 of the user manual) for my speakers (for Atmos) that are ceiling mounted.

Never thought about this till recently, and noticed that my DTS-MA 7.1 was only playing out of my 5.1 system, no sound from the Height which I believe is how it works when configured per page 48 as the speakers are set to Height and not Surround Back.

Do I have any options to have my ceiling speakers work in a 5.1.2 and 7.1 setup (other than buying 2 more speakers) - I would really like to have the receiver output 5.1.2 as configured but when atmos is not available to take advantage of the 2 speakers as the "Surround Back" in a 7.1 mix.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff
post #547 of 560 Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have a question for you 503 owners. It says it works with sonos, now does it work like a stand alone sonos play speaker would? In ither words, can i just buy 503 and enjoy the sonos awesomeness without having any other sonos products whatsoever?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #548 of 560 Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
Good evening everyone, I have a setup question that I thought I would ask after scratching my head and re-reading the manual on my setup.

I have the 503 and currently, have it set up as a 5.1.2 using the Height 1 (terminals - per page 48 of the user manual) for my speakers (for Atmos) that are ceiling mounted.

Never thought about this till recently, and noticed that my DTS-MA 7.1 was only playing out of my 5.1 system, no sound from the Height which I believe is how it works when configured per page 48 as the speakers are set to Height and not Surround Back.

Do I have any options to have my ceiling speakers work in a 5.1.2 and 7.1 setup (other than buying 2 more speakers) - I would really like to have the receiver output 5.1.2 as configured but when atmos is not available to take advantage of the 2 speakers as the "Surround Back" in a 7.1 mix.

Thanks for any advice.
Short answer: I believe the answer is no, but I think the DTS Neural:X or Dolby Surround (DSur) simulated modes will at least let you take advantage of those speakers.

Long answer: I believe I had the exact same set-up as you (7.1 with in-ceiling rear speakers). I added two front in-ceiling speakers and converted my system to 5.1.4. There is no way to have an actual 7.1 mix play through the 7 speakers unless the two in-ceiling speakers are plugged into the rear speaker connectors. However, the two modes listed above, DTS Neural:X and Dolby DSUR are designed to take 5.1 signals and and expand them to whatever system you have. Here is a website describing what those modes do: https://rantingsofamadaudiophile.wor...s-dts-neuralx/

My experience matches the article. Dolby DSUR tends to elevate the entire sound field while DTS Neural:X tends to be more discrete.
Gator99 likes this.

Last edited by harync; 06-21-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #549 of 560 Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
I have a question for you 503 owners. It says it works with sonos, now does it work like a stand alone sonos play speaker would? In ither words, can i just buy 503 and enjoy the sonos awesomeness without having any other sonos products whatsoever?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Looks like you need a Sonos connect to make it work. This is from the Pioneer/Sonos site.....Your Pioneer receiver can be used with the Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3 or Play:5 or any combination of these speakers. You can even use your Pioneer receiver with a Playbar or Playbase that is located in a different room. Just remember that you need to have a Sonos Connect to connect your Pioneer receiver to your Sonos home sound system.

http://sonos.pioneerhomeusa.com/
post #550 of 560 Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post
The biggest difference is the THD % 503 is 0.8% and the 504 is 1% higher the thd the sooner the receiver suffers distortion at loud listening levels.
Where are you seeing this?

Looking at owner manuals, both 503 and 504 state exactly the same specs:
Quote:
Rated Output Power (FTC) (North American):
- With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20-20,000 Hz; rated 120 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Rated Output Power (IEC) (Others):
- 9 ch × 180 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven of 1% THD

THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion+Noise):
- 0.08% (20 Hz - 20,000 Hz, half power)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #551 of 560 Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateott View Post
Sorry, I'm not following.

You said earlier that the LX503 allows you to change each speaker independently. I have not been able to do that for crossovers, and others have written that they cannot.

So, did you find a setting or mode that allowed you to adjust crossovers for each speaker independently? Or are you describing something else?
You are confusing the "large/small" setting with a crossover VALUE setting. These are two separate settings.

The LX503 allows you to specify whether your front L/R, center, and rear speakers should be "large" or "small", so it's possible to set your front L/R speakers to "large" while also setting your center and rear speakers to "small".

However, all the speakers that are designated as "small" will be subject to the exact same crossover point. So if you choose "80 Hz", it will apply to all your speakers that were designated as "small." You cannot tell the receiver to apply an 80 Hz crossover to the center speaker and 120 Hz crossover to the rear speakers, for example.

Does this make sense?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #552 of 560 Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LX503 is $469 at frys, free ship no codes needed atm.
Yeah, this is tempting. Is there anything better out there currently in this price range?

I need something that can handle 4 Ohm speakers.

post #553 of 560 Old 06-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does the SubEQ on the 503 go down past 31Hz? If someone can, will you post what Frequencies that the SubEQ adjusts? Also, can you tweak the parametric EQ part on Width, Gain, Bandwidth?
post #554 of 560 Old 06-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
You are confusing the "large/small" setting with a crossover VALUE setting. These are two separate settings.

The LX503 allows you to specify whether your front L/R, center, and rear speakers should be "large" or "small", so it's possible to set your front L/R speakers to "large" while also setting your center and rear speakers to "small".

However, all the speakers that are designated as "small" will be subject to the exact same crossover point. So if you choose "80 Hz", it will apply to all your speakers that were designated as "small." You cannot tell the receiver to apply an 80 Hz crossover to the center speaker and 120 Hz crossover to the rear speakers, for example.

Does this make sense?
So if I designate all speakers as large, I can independently set crossovers for each speaker?
post #555 of 560 Old 06-30-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateott View Post
So if I designate all speakers as large, I can independently set crossovers for each speaker?
No. When you set speakers to "large", it means they are to receive full frequency spectrum, which means no crossover at all.

post #556 of 560 Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Just bought an Apple TV 4k... hopefully I don’t have any headaches like others have had...
iTunes has the largest 4k / atmos library out there... and new for $135 shipped was hard to pass on...
iTunes also has the cheapest 4k library out there..
@Hokies83 any issues with Apple TV 4K and your 503?
post #557 of 560 Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello everyone.

Just upgraded from a Marantz SR6009 to a Pioneer 503 last night. I am trying to get things configured the way I want for the future, and I hoped some of you might shed some light on this for me.

I am currently using Infinity Beta speakers, with 8" woofer floordstanding Beta 50 towers as my fronts, the C360 as my center, and I have a pair of ES250 dipole rears and Beta 20 bookshelf speakers in storage, waiting to be put into service. I also have an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1 5 channel power amplifier to put into service as well.

What I would really like to do might not be possible, but is there any way to output the front stage to my amplifier, and reassign the output terminals to power the rest of the rears and heights? the manual shows using the surround back speakers on the external amplifier, and I would much rather use my amp for my front's.

Thanks in advance!

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #558 of 560 Old 07-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone give me some experience on what Windows 4k graphics card you are using with your LX503 with pass-through that works at 4k? I am going crazy with issues. The Radeon RX-580 works but it's not working well with madVR or any video player. I get a lot of black screens while watching anything and even get them at the Windows desktop. There are lots of users complaining about the issue on the AMD forums with mixed results using Wattman to fix it.

When I tried a GTX-1050 Ti or GTX-1060 card with the LX503 neither were compatible with 4k pass-through. The LX503 thinks it's 1080 and oddly reports it as a DVI connection. I downloaded the latest firmware update 1060-8000-1050-0010 but it did not fix my issues.
post #559 of 560 Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, I took the firmware update - 1060-8000-1050-0010 and had major issues with my PC giving me green screens. Pioneer recommends you unplug the receiver for a couple of minutes and that should resolve any problems after the update. I tried it and to my surprise it works again.

The bad news that I don't like is I asked for the older firmware file and Pioneer support claims there is no way to downgrade firmware. If this had not solved my problem they want you to send your receiver in to perform the downgrade!!! These folks are starting to scare me, how on earth do you think the average customer wants to mail in their receiver to fix a firmware issue?
post #560 of 560 Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am trying to set up a 7.1.4 system with my 503. Having problems getting the surround back speakers to work. I have run rca cables coming from the 503 surr. back pre out to an old denon 5.1 receiver. Not getting any sound during the mcaa mic setup. Do I run the rca’s to the ext-in channel on my Denon or to the cd input? What other settings should I be aware of on the Denon? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors