Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #601 of 623 Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
I've only ever had blackouts using a long thin active cable (older Monoprice ultra slim) that doesn't officially support 4K 4:4:4 60Hz. When I change my output to 8-bit 420 on my computer the blackouts stop or if I switch to a certified premium cable (Monoprice or BJC) I can use 4K 4:4:4 or RGB without any blackouts. Not saying it's cables for everyone but sometimes it is the cables, which is why support wants to blame them first.
I also tried a 3' Monoprice certified premium cable and I cannot run in enhanced mode (10bit), too many black outs.

LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver, Pronto TSU-9400 remote
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers - front, ProAc EBT's - rears, Mirage - Center, JBL S120PII subwoofer
HTPC: Kodi DSPlayer MadVR, Win 10, Radeon RX 580, Core i3 IvyB 3.4
Storage: Synology DS2415+, TheCUS N5550 running DSM 6.2 via Jun's loader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 623 Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Subwoofer Problem or Not?

In my 5.1.4 system, I have a strange situation that I’ve never encountered before with any av receiver/powered subwoofer combo that I have previously owned (about a half dozen). Essentially, the receiver “powers” off the base on my subwoofer (Polk HTS-10] when it detects audio content with little or no bass. It doesn’t actually shut the subwoofer off, it simply causes my subwoofer light to go from green to red, indicating low frequencies are no longer supported through the subwoofer. In fact, if I were to then do the system speaker volume check, all speakers would produce a tone, except for the subwoofer. (BTW, I’ve switched things around as much as I could, e..g, overridden the receiver's “large speaker settings” from MCACC and turned to small, swapped out cables, turned double bass on, then off again. On the subwoofer, I’ve tried both the auto on and off settings, set the phase at zero, then 180.) All produced the same results.

Then, after a couple of days, I noticed that if I switched content on the fly, i.e., in the same sitting, the green light (and low frequency sounds) would be turned on accordingly, e.g., switching from a talk news show to an action movie,) Likewise, the system sound check would then produce a tone for my subwoofer. Since I found all this rather annoying, I contacted Pioneer. I must say, the phone support was rather helpful. He had me go through all the options I had already tried—same results, He then suggested I swap out subwoofers if I could. I grabbed an older sub from another room, and testing things for about a day, the problem seems to have gone away.

So, while it may appear that the problem is with my Polk subwoofer, perhaps not, which is why I come to you. I’m wondering if the communication between my Pioneer and Polk is doing exactly what it’s designed to do: turn on or off low frequencies depending on the audio source. The system sound check on the Pioneer just hasn’t caught up to this yet. When it’s told told there’s ‘no subwoofer' it neglects to send a test tone to the sub. (Perhaps this will be rectified in a firmware upgrade—system checks should override software settings.) So, before I contact Polk and complain about their sub—which is otherwise working fine, I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Pioneer/powered sub combo? Thanks!
post #603 of 623 Old 08-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspears View Post
In my 5.1.4 system, I have a strange situation that I’ve never encountered before with any av receiver/powered subwoofer combo that I have previously owned (about a half dozen). Essentially, the receiver “powers” off the base on my subwoofer (Polk HTS-10] when it detects audio content with little or no bass. It doesn’t actually shut the subwoofer off, it simply causes my subwoofer light to go from green to red, indicating low frequencies are no longer supported through the subwoofer. In fact, if I were to then do the system speaker volume check, all speakers would produce a tone, except for the subwoofer. (BTW, I’ve switched things around as much as I could, e..g, overridden the receiver's “large speaker settings” from MCACC and turned to small, swapped out cables, turned double bass on, then off again. On the subwoofer, I’ve tried both the auto on and off settings, set the phase at zero, then 180.) All produced the same results.

Then, after a couple of days, I noticed that if I switched content on the fly, i.e., in the same sitting, the green light (and low frequency sounds) would be turned on accordingly, e.g., switching from a talk news show to an action movie,) Likewise, the system sound check would then produce a tone for my subwoofer. Since I found all this rather annoying, I contacted Pioneer. I must say, the phone support was rather helpful. He had me go through all the options I had already tried—same results, He then suggested I swap out subwoofers if I could. I grabbed an older sub from another room, and testing things for about a day, the problem seems to have gone away.

So, while it may appear that the problem is with my Polk subwoofer, perhaps not, which is why I come to you. I’m wondering if the communication between my Pioneer and Polk is doing exactly what it’s designed to do: turn on or off low frequencies depending on the audio source. The system sound check on the Pioneer just hasn’t caught up to this yet. When it’s told told there’s ‘no subwoofer' it neglects to send a test tone to the sub. (Perhaps this will be rectified in a firmware upgrade—system checks should override software settings.) So, before I contact Polk and complain about their sub—which is otherwise working fine, I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Pioneer/powered sub combo? Thanks!
Sometimes this can be due to a problem with the gain setting. If you turn the gain up too high on the sub the calibration will compensate by setting a low gain offset for the sub then the signal it sends will sometimes be too weak to trigger the subwoofer's auto on. What is the gain of the sub in your speaker settings? If it is low (like -10dB or lower) then you might want to turn down the gain knob on the sub and re-run calibration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 623 Old 08-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello I recently purchased the 503, I traded in my onyko 787 for it I wanted eARC and support for 11 channels over IMAX enhanced support. However one huge trade off I didn't realize was the global Xover. I have recently upgraded from a "dolby atmos" soundbar lol I know to originally 5.1.4 but with klipsch huge July sale I just went all the way and got 7.2.4. R-350C- center, R100SW x2, R600F towers as my mains and rear surrounds, R51M bookshelves as surrounds and finally RP140SA on front towers R41SA on rears. So obviously I would prefer to have everything xover at 80htz and I am now wishing I had got svs prime elevation to ceiling mount as I cant do in ceiling. I am playing to at mount as heights soon but as of right now I have no idea what Xover to set in one movie I may switch from 80 to 100 to 150 to 200 the higher I go the sharper and more clear the overhead effects at the loss of balance and fullness in the mains. I've read that while set as daes the global xover is just gor the mains. Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #605 of 623 Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Sometimes this can be due to a problem with the gain setting. If you turn the gain up too high on the sub the calibration will compensate by setting a low gain offset for the sub then the signal it sends will sometimes be too weak to trigger the subwoofer's auto on. What is the gain of the sub in your speaker settings? If it is low (like -10dB or lower) then you might want to turn down the gain knob on the sub and re-run calibration.
Thanks. Yes, MCACC sets my sub to -15dB, which does seem weirdly low. However, this setting does not seem to have an impact on how much bass I get for certain content. In some action scenes, I literally get ground-shaking sounds. Anyhow, I'll follow your suggestion and override the MCACC settings, and set my sub at -8 dB. But it seems you agree that this mostly a setting issue and not a bad sub.
post #606 of 623 Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thank you afrogt and godfatherip for your responses.
post #607 of 623 Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to share dsd or sacd files over network from pc to lx503? Manual states that I should be using Windows media player but MP doesn't implement DSD files to its own library, so I can't see dsd on Music server. Is there any other option to share files over network?

Also, having problems to properly setup JRiver MC to bitstream DSD from pc to lx503 over hdmi. It worked on old onkyo tx nr717.

Support for dsd 11.2 was one of the biggest reasons reason to get this receiver... Please help
post #608 of 623 Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I have the worst luck apparently. Just brought home a brand new in box 503. Hooked it up, ran the speaker set up, calibration to 7.2.4 took awhile but went well, turned on the blu ray player to see what this baby can do and.......picture, but no sound. Tried the Xbox one, again picture, but no sound. Checked all settings on the receiver and blu ray player to no avail. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why there was no sound, the receiver started acting erratically. Remote would work, then not work. Could no longer access set up menu. Went to check all connections in the back and noticed an NG 2L2R message on the receiver display with the 'wireless' light on the front blinking blue. Tried to find out what this NG message meant and read that I should shut it down immediately. Unplugged and gave it 10 minutes rest and powered on again, same message. Read the owner's manual and tried to 'reset it' but it would not reset. Unplugged it and going to bed.
Very frustrating. I'll see what happens tomorrow evening after work.
post #609 of 623 Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihael Roškar View Post
Does anyone know how to share dsd or sacd files over network from pc to lx503? Manual states that I should be using Windows media player but MP doesn't implement DSD files to its own library, so I can't see dsd on Music server. Is there any other option to share files over network?

Also, having problems to properly setup JRiver MC to bitstream DSD from pc to lx503 over hdmi. It worked on old onkyo tx nr717.

Support for dsd 11.2 was one of the biggest reasons reason to get this receiver... Please help
Found a solution to my problem if anyone is interested:

Had to use JRiver media center to make a media server. Other servers won't passtrough DSD. JRiver has an option to bitstream DSD over DLNA. Also has a great option to chose a device on which you would like to play... In my case PC, TV or receiver. I still have to figure out how to get DSD256 (11.2Mhz) tracks to play on media server. DSD64 and DSD128 work fine.

Regarding DSD passtrough over HDMI - doesn't work due to graphic card (sound card or Windows) limitation, so I had to chose PCM option in JRIver. Receiver now plays 174Mhz 24bit max PCM signal over HDMI.

And...I can't get DSD256 to play over usb...So here is that.

To conclude - so far I,m satisfied with purchase of VSX-LX503. Love the standing wave control. Also DAC seems to produce very clean sound. Maybe I'm missing better build quality, better remote and some sound options that old Onkyo TX-NR717 had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_225026-01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	2602290  
post #610 of 623 Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 159
@Mihaelrosker you got a great receiver with similar power to the 717 and the audyssey 2eq might be similar to the mcacc basic, but I don't believe you downgraded in any way.

https://blog.richersounds.com/produc...3-av-receiver/

Here is the sound and vision review of the lx504, which is the same as the lx503, minus mcacc advanced, iirc. These poor guys are still claiming its class D power, which it is not. https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-review-page-2
post #611 of 623 Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspears View Post
Thanks. Yes, MCACC sets my sub to -15dB, which does seem weirdly low. However, this setting does not seem to have an impact on how much bass I get for certain content. In some action scenes, I literally get ground-shaking sounds. Anyhow, I'll follow your suggestion and override the MCACC settings, and set my sub at -8 dB. But it seems you agree that this mostly a setting issue and not a bad sub.
Ideally you shouldn't just turn up the gain in MCACC, you should turn the gain/volume down on the sub (physical knob on the back) and then re-run MCACC so it blends it appropriately (it should set the gain higher this time).

The issue you experienced (I think) is that your sub has an auto off/standby feature to save power. When in this standby mode it waits for a signal before it turns back on. However, it has some minimum signal strength threshold so that it isn't triggered by electrical noise so if the AVR sends a very weak signal it might not trigger it to turn on. When setting up your sub initially MCACC detected that your sub volume was too high so it lowered the AVR gain in order to compensate and blend it properly with the rest of your setup. Because of this, the AVR is sending a relatively weak signal to the sub and for content with minimal bass it might not be enough to trigger the auto turn-on, but for content with big booming bass it might meet the minimum threshold and switch on, hence the erratic behavior. If you turn down the sub volume and the AVR gain is set higher then the signal strength will be higher and more likely to trigger the auto-on, but it will still be properly blended with the rest of your system. If you just turn up the gain in MCACC without adjusting the sub's volume then the sub will likely be overpowering (but maybe you like that).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
post #612 of 623 Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Well, I have the worst luck apparently. Just brought home a brand new in box 503. Hooked it up, ran the speaker set up, calibration to 7.2.4 took awhile but went well, turned on the blu ray player to see what this baby can do and.......picture, but no sound. Tried the Xbox one, again picture, but no sound. Checked all settings on the receiver and blu ray player to no avail. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why there was no sound, the receiver started acting erratically. Remote would work, then not work. Could no longer access set up menu. Went to check all connections in the back and noticed an NG 2L2R message on the receiver display with the 'wireless' light on the front blinking blue. Tried to find out what this NG message meant and read that I should shut it down immediately. Unplugged and gave it 10 minutes rest and powered on again, same message. Read the owner's manual and tried to 'reset it' but it would not reset. Unplugged it and going to bed.
Very frustrating. I'll see what happens tomorrow evening after work.
Check to make sure none of your speaker wires are shorting the connections. A few stray strands can short two terminals leading to overheating, potential damage, and the NG warning message. If this isn't the case it might just be some sort of internal failure of the hardware.

post #613 of 623 Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Check to make sure none of your speaker wires are shorting the connections. A few stray strands can short two terminals leading to overheating, potential damage, and the NG warning message. If this isn't the case it might just be some sort of internal failure of the hardware.
Thank you for the response godfatherip. I have banana plugs on all my speaker wire going into the receiver and I had no problems with 4 previous receivers, going on several years now, so I don't think its the speakers or the wiring. I have been running a cheapy 7.2 Sony receiver for the past two weeks to get me by and it worked perfectly.
I called Pioneer customer support this morning and was told it was in protection mode. Instructed to push 'enter' and 'power' buttons simultaneously to get it out of protection mode and it will start a diagnostic mode once powered back on. Did this. Self diagnosed through all speaker connections and then immediately when back to NG 2R2L code and freezes up. Pioneer tech said to take it back to best buy.
Boxed it up and returned it this afternoon.
Back to my search for a new AV that can do 7.2.4. Think I'll just get another Marantz 6012 from A4L.
post #614 of 623 Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm thinking about getting the 503, so I can add 2 more Atmos speakers to my setup. Right now I have 2 Atmos speakers in the ceiling, about a foot in front of the listening position, and as wide as my front speakers. Would I add the other 2 Atmos speakers in the ceiling, close to the wall where my projector screen is?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #615 of 623 Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

@biglen no, ideally you have 2 in front of the seating and 2 behind the seating area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atmos 5.1.4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2603036  
post #616 of 623 Old 08-14-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@biglen no, ideally you have 2 in front of the seating and 2 behind the seating area.
Hmmmm. I guess I can't do it because my seating position is only about a foot from the back wall.

post #617 of 623 Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

@biglen I have the same layout with my couch against the back wall so I have not even cut holes in the ceiling yet. There are other options for us, such as front upfiring or top front wides, if that is the proper term?

I know you already have speakers in the ceiling, but take a look at this and see if its possible?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atmos 514 couch against wall.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2603192  
post #618 of 623 Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@biglen I have the same layout with my couch against the back wall so I have not even cut holes in the ceiling yet. There are other options for us, such as front upfiring or top front wides, if that is the proper term?

I know you already have speakers in the ceiling, but take a look at this and see if its possible?
Yeah, I'm not sure with that, because in the pic, the one set of Atmos speakers are just behind the couch, where mine are about 15" in front of the couch.

post #619 of 623 Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure with that, because in the pic, the one set of Atmos speakers are just behind the couch, where mine are about 15" in front of the couch.

I'm not sure you have much to gain by adding 2 more Atmos speakers given their current position. I converted my 7.2 system into a 5.2.4 system, and I don't think the rear Atmos speakers get used nearly as much as the front Atmos speakers. The rear Atmos speakers are about 18 inches behind the listening position, and the front Atmos are about 4 feet in front of the listening position, and half-way between the listening position and the Left-Center-Right Front speakers.

I went to Best Buy / Magnolia while I was shopping for the VSX-LX503. The Best Buy guy tried to convince me that 5.1.2 was sufficient and 5.1.4 was overkill, but I was skeptical. In hindsight, maybe he was right, although my listening position should probably be another few feet forward to take maximum advantage.
post #620 of 623 Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harync View Post
I'm not sure you have much to gain by adding 2 more Atmos speakers given their current position. I converted my 7.2 system into a 5.2.4 system, and I don't think the rear Atmos speakers get used nearly as much as the front Atmos speakers. The rear Atmos speakers are about 18 inches behind the listening position, and the front Atmos are about 4 feet in front of the listening position, and half-way between the listening position and the Left-Center-Right Front speakers.

I went to Best Buy / Magnolia while I was shopping for the VSX-LX503. The Best Buy guy tried to convince me that 5.1.2 was sufficient and 5.1.4 was overkill, but I was skeptical. In hindsight, maybe he was right, although my listening position should probably be another few feet forward to take maximum advantage.
I agree. I don't think I'd get the proper separation by adding 2 more Atmos speakers above the seating area.

post #621 of 623 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone tried renaming their Google Chromecast in the LX503? I like to say Hey Google play <whatever> to Pioneer. I have renamed it several times now, it works but it always goes back to it's default name 'Pioneer VSX-LX503 999ABC'

I also have a Polk soundbar with a Google Chromecast built in. I renamed that one and the name sticks. So I know it can work.

LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver, Pronto TSU-9400 remote
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers - front, ProAc EBT's - rears, Mirage - Center, JBL S120PII subwoofer
HTPC: Kodi DSPlayer MadVR, Win 10, Radeon RX 580, Core i3 IvyB 3.4
Storage: Synology DS2415+, TheCUS N5550 running DSM 6.2 via Jun's loader
post #622 of 623 Old Today, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihael Roškar View Post
Found a solution to my problem if anyone is interested:

Had to use JRiver media center to make a media server. Other servers won't passtrough DSD. JRiver has an option to bitstream DSD over DLNA. Also has a great option to chose a device on which you would like to play... In my case PC, TV or receiver. I still have to figure out how to get DSD256 (11.2Mhz) tracks to play on media server. DSD64 and DSD128 work fine.

Regarding DSD passtrough over HDMI - doesn't work due to graphic card (sound card or Windows) limitation, so I had to chose PCM option in JRIver. Receiver now plays 174Mhz 24bit max PCM signal over HDMI.

And...I can't get DSD256 to play over usb...So here is that.

To conclude - so far I,m satisfied with purchase of VSX-LX503. Love the standing wave control. Also DAC seems to produce very clean sound. Maybe I'm missing better build quality, better remote and some sound options that old Onkyo TX-NR717 had.
Thanks for the update!

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #623 of 623 Old Today, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
sound and vision review of the lx504, which is the same as the lx503, minus mcacc advanced, iirc. These poor guys are still claiming its class D power, which it is not. https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-review-page-2
Another LX504 review, strangely also claiming it has a Class D amp:
https://hometheaterreview.com/pionee...iver-reviewed/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page